Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WarGhost 2016-17 Colts Season Predictions (Including Preseason)

WarGhost21

Let me start by saying that this is my personal predictions. If you disagree, feel free to let me know. My only request in that regard is for everyone to be polite to one another and myself. Thank you and enjoy!!!!

Preseason:

HOF Game: Cancelled

Week 1: AT Buffalo, Sat, Aug 13, 7:00 PM

Prediction: W

Week 2: VS Baltimore, Sat, Aug 20, 7:00 PM

Prediction: L

Week 3: VS Philadelphia, Sat, Aug 27, 7:00 PM

Week 4: AT Cincinnati, Thu, Sept 1, 7:30 PM

Preseason Recap:

W-L: 1-3

The Colts have never had good luck in the preseason. I think that streak continues this year. While our starting lineup looks good on paper, our second-string guys aren't quite as proven, lacking the needed depth to hold onto leads in the preseason. Buffalo is similar in that regard, with a decent starting core of guys, but a lack of depth thereafter. I gave us the win there because I feel we will build an early lead and then hold on to it the rest of the way. Baltimore, Philly, and Cincy, on the other hand, have some decent depth on their respective teams, leading me to believe that they will win in the long-run.

Regular Season:

Week 1: VS Detroit, Sun, Sept 11, 4:25 PM

The Lions had quite the year last season. Let me rephrase that. Calvin Johnson had quite the year last season. The rest of the team: Meh. Unfortunately for them, the man known as Megatron has left the building. For the first time in nearly a decade, Detroit will step onto the football field without their prized receiver to carry them. Don't get me wrong. I am excited to see what Golden Tate can do finally being the primary target for Matt Stafford. I just don't expect him to create the mind-meld with Stafford that Stafford and Calvin had as early as the first game of the season. With that in mind, the Colts should easily win this game by a decent margin. Any closer than 10 points and I'll be disappointed.

Week 2: AT Denver, Sun, Sept 18, 4:25 PM

This early in the year, the Broncos will still be scrambling for answers under center. If our secondary has a semi-decent game, we should be able to easily just key in on the run game, holding them to a low score. On the other hand, their dynamic pass rush should really test our revamped O-line, which I believe can't be as bad as last season (Right? RIGHT??). If we do stand up to the challenge and put a few touchdowns up, we should walk away with a win. Don't believe me? We beat them last year as they were on the way to winning the Super Bowl. With the troubles they are having now, we should win in a close game.

Week 3: VS San Diego, Sun, Sept 25, 4:25 PM

While the Chargers have an explosive passing offense that keeps them in games, their run game and defense are subpar. With our high-octane offense off to a fast start to the season, I see no reason for us to lose this game. If our secondary keeps living up to what I predict they will, we should keep them from scoring often. It should be another good game, but I can't see us losing.

Week 4: AT Jacksonville, Sun, Oct 2, 9:30 AM

The first loss of the season for the Colts will come in our first divisional game. The Jaguars have an explosive offense and a good-looking defense on paper. While it will be a tough loss, due to the knowledge that the past few years, not including last year, we have dominated the division. I believe that Jacksonville's home field advantage will give them the slight edge in what should be a high scoring game.

Week 5: VS Chicago, Sun, Oct 9, 1:00 PM

After a rough loss the week before, the Colts get back on track at home against the Bears. With our explosive offense tearing up Chicago's defense, now featuring former Colt Jerrell Freeman. Our secondary on defense will at this point be considered one of the leagues strongest, holding Alshon Jeffery in check. After losing Forte in the offseason, the Bears run game starts to decline, leaving them helpless against the high-scoring Colts offense. 

Week 6: AT Houston, Sun, Oct 16, 8:30 PM

I know, I know. Another loss for the Colts in the weakest division in the NFL. Honestly, though, the division isn't so weak anymore. J.J. Watt  should be back by this point, taking the Texans D from mediocre to scary once again (Yes, one man can do that by himself if his name is J.J. Watt). They should keep our offense in check while Deandre Hopkins goes to work with his first semi-decent quarterback he's had since... ever, really. Lamar Miller will have a breakout year, and he will run our still subpar run defense into the ground. It should be good, but I'm in favor of the home team here.

Week 7: AT Tennessee, Sun, Oct 23, 1:00 PM

Yes, we have said the division has gotten stronger. And it's true, it has. Tennessee just isn't there yet. I favor us by a couple scores at least. Not much more to say. Sorry, Titans fans.

Week 8: VS Kansas City, Sun, Oct 30, 1:00 PM

They Chiefs had a great year last season. No, this time it doesn't mean one player. I mean the whole team. With their defense keeping game scores low, and their offense returning Jamaal Charles, they should walk away with a win. That doesn't mean we won't give them a run for their money, but they should pull this one out at the very end. Jamaal is a top RB, and our run defense is at the bottom of the league. I fully expect him to put up the game winning TD on the ground.

Week 9: AT Green Bay, Sun, Nov 6, 4:25 PM

This game should be a shootout, but for the time being, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league. Yes, better than Tom Brady and Cam Newton. While Luck is amazing as well, he still isn't at a Discount-Double Check level. While both defenses aren't the best, the Packers hold the advantage in that regard. They also have a young running back to lean on when necessary in Eddie Lacy. We don't. I'm giving the Pack the advantage here because it's being played at Lambo Field, one of the hardest places to play in the NFL. 

Week 10: Bye

Midseason Recap:

Sitting at 5-4 at the Bye Week, the Colts are in position to make the playoffs, but they must win most of their last 7 in order to secure a spot. The defenses secondary is still playing strong, but the run defense sadly isn't. The offense is playing amazingly in the air, but the ground game is definitely in need of some health as Gore finally shows the signs of wear and tear that comes with age.

Week 11: VS Tennessee, Sun, Nov 20, 1:00 PM

(Please see Week 7 recap for information)

Week 12: VS Pittsburgh, Thu, Nov 24, 8:30 PM

Unfortunately, you can't stop the healthy trio of Big Ben, AB, and Bell. It's impossible. If one of them were injured, it might be a different story, but I seriously doubt they will. They will destroy our defense, and while our offense does the same to theirs, we just won't be able to keep up.

Week 13: AT New York (Jets), Mon, Dec 5, 8:30 PM

When it comes down to it, Revis Island can't accommodate all three dynamic Colts receivers. While he locks down on one, the other two will tear it up. When he switches to one of them, the first dominates. Luck is well known for sharing the wealth, and he's smart enough to know that he has two other receivers not covered by Revis. The Jets offense should be good, but Luck is far and away a better QB than Fitzpatrick. It should be a great game, but I favor the Colts.

Week 14: VS Houston, Sun, Dec 11, 1:00 PM

After losing to the Texans earlier in the year, the Colts come out with a vengeance. In front of the home crowd, the Colts will steamroll Houston. Not much more to say. 

Week 15: AT Minnesota, Sun, Dec 18, 1:00 PM

I mean seriously. It's AP versus a horrific run defense. He's going to eat. We will keep it close, but AP will kill us in the long run.

Week 16: AT Oakland, Sat, Dec 24, 4:05 PM

Khalil Mack is going to be an Defensive POY candidate at this point, but the offense will hold off the Raiders. While Amari Cooper is going to kill it this year, he will have troubles matched up with Vontae Davis. Latavius Murray isn't exactly a bell cow back, meaning they won't run the ball to much. Our secondary will still be top tier, effectively shutting down their offense. We put up a few scores, we win.

Week 17: VS Jacksonville, Sun, Jan 1, 1:00 PM

See Week 14, Substitute Jaguars where it says Texans and Jacksonville for Houston.

Season Recap:

At the end of the year, the Colts finish 10-6, clinching the AFC South. They will make a Playoff run but lose in the AFC Championship game.

I hope you all enjoyed!!!! Feel free to critique!! GO BLUE!!!!

8 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Let me start by saying that this is my personal predictions. If you disagree, feel free to let me know. My only request in that regard is for everyone to be polite to one another and myself. Thank you and enjoy!!!!

Preseason:

HOF Game: Cancelled

Week 1: AT Buffalo, Sat, Aug 13, 7:00 PM

Week 2: VS Baltimore, Sat, Aug 20, 7:00 PM

Week 3: VS Philadelphia, Sat, Aug 27, 7:00 PM

Week 4: AT Cincinnati, Thu, Sept 1, 7:30 PM

Preseason Recap:

W-L: 1-3

The Colts have never had good luck in the preseason. I think that streak continues this year. While our starting lineup looks good on paper, our second-string guys aren't quite as proven, lacking the needed depth to hold onto leads in the preseason. Buffalo is similar in that regard, with a decent starting core of guys, but a lack of depth thereafter. I gave us the win there because I feel we will build an early lead and then hold on to it the rest of the way. Baltimore, Philly, and Cincy, on the other hand, have some decent depth on their respective teams, leading me to believe that they will win in the long-run.

Regular Season:

Week 1: VS Detroit, Sun, Sept 11, 4:25 PM

The Lions had quite the year last season. Let me rephrase that. Calvin Johnson had quite the year last season. The rest of the team: Meh. Unfortunately for them, the man known as Megatron has left the building. For the first time in nearly a decade, Detroit will step onto the football field without their prized receiver to carry them. Don't get me wrong. I am excited to see what Golden Tate can do finally being the primary target for Matt Stafford. I just don't expect him to create the mind-meld with Stafford that Stafford and Calvin had as early as the first game of the season. With that in mind, the Colts should easily win this game by a decent margin. Any closer than 10 points and I'll be disappointed.

Week 2: AT Denver, Sun, Sept 18, 4:25 PM

This early in the year, the Broncos will still be scrambling for answers under center. If our secondary has a semi-decent game, we should be able to easily just key in on the run game, holding them to a low score. On the other hand, their dynamic pass rush should really test our revamped O-line, which I believe can't be as bad as last season (Right? RIGHT??). If we do stand up to the challenge and put a few touchdowns up, we should walk away with a win. Don't believe me? We beat them last year as they were on the way to winning the Super Bowl. With the troubles they are having now, we should win in a close game.

Week 3: VS San Diego, Sun, Sept 25, 4:25 PM

While the Chargers have an explosive passing offense that keeps them in games, their run game and defense are subpar. With our high-octane offense off to a fast start to the season, I see no reason for us to lose this game. If our secondary keeps living up to what I predict they will, we should keep them from scoring often. It should be another good game, but I can't see us losing.

Week 4: AT Jacksonville, Sun, Oct 2, 9:30 AM

The first loss of the season for the Colts will come in our first divisional game. The Jaguars have an explosive offense and a good-looking defense on paper. While it will be a tough loss, due to the knowledge that the past few years, not including last year, we have dominated the division. I believe that Jacksonville's home field advantage will give them the slight edge in what should be a high scoring game.

Week 5: VS Chicago, Sun, Oct 9, 1:00 PM

After a rough loss the week before, the Colts get back on track at home against the Bears. With our explosive offense tearing up Chicago's defense, now featuring former Colt Jerrell Freeman. Our secondary on defense will at this point be considered one of the leagues strongest, holding Alshon Jeffery in check. After losing Forte in the offseason, the Bears run game starts to decline, leaving them helpless against the high-scoring Colts offense. 

Week 6: AT Houston, Sun, Oct 16, 8:30 PM

I know, I know. Another loss for the Colts in the weakest division in the NFL. Honestly, though, the division isn't so weak anymore. J.J. Watt  should be back by this point, taking the Texans D from mediocre to scary once again (Yes, one man can do that by himself if his name is J.J. Watt). They should keep our offense in check while Deandre Hopkins goes to work with his first semi-decent quarterback he's had since... ever, really. Lamar Miller will have a breakout year, and he will run our still subpar run defense into the ground. It should be good, but I'm in favor of the home team here.

Week 7: AT Tennessee, Sun, Oct 23, 1:00 PM

Yes, we have said the division has gotten stronger. And it's true, it has. Tennessee just isn't there yet. I favor us by a couple scores at least. Not much more to say. Sorry, Titans fans.

Week 8: VS Kansas City, Sun, Oct 30, 1:00 PM

They Chiefs had a great year last season. No, this time it doesn't mean one player. I mean the whole team. With their defense keeping game scores low, and their offense returning Jamaal Charles, they should walk away with a win. That doesn't mean we won't give them a run for their money, but they should pull this one out at the very end. Jamaal is a top RB, and our run defense is at the bottom of the league. I fully expect him to put up the game winning TD on the ground.

Week 9: AT Green Bay, Sun, Nov 6, 4:25 PM

This game should be a shootout, but for the time being, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league. Yes, better than Tom Brady and Cam Newton. While Luck is amazing as well, he still isn't at a Discount-Double Check level. While both defenses aren't the best, the Packers hold the advantage in that regard. They also have a young running back to lean on when necessary in Eddie Lacy. We don't. I'm giving the Pack the advantage here because it's being played at Lambo Field, one of the hardest places to play in the NFL. 

Week 10: Bye

Midseason Recap:

Sitting at 5-4 at the Bye Week, the Colts are in position to make the playoffs, but they must win most of their last 7 in order to secure a spot. The defenses secondary is still playing strong, but the run defense sadly isn't. The offense is playing amazingly in the air, but the ground game is definitely in need of some health as Gore finally shows the signs of wear and tear that comes with age.

Week 11: VS Tennessee, Sun, Nov 20, 1:00 PM

(Please see Week 7 recap for information)

Week 12: VS Pittsburgh, Thu, Nov 24, 8:30 PM

Unfortunately, you can't stop the healthy trio of Big Ben, AB, and Bell. It's impossible. If one of them were injured, it might be a different story, but I seriously doubt they will. They will destroy our defense, and while our offense does the same to theirs, we just won't be able to keep up.

Week 13: AT New York (Jets), Mon, Dec 5, 8:30 PM

When it comes down to it, Revis Island can't accommodate all three dynamic Colts receivers. While he locks down on one, the other two will tear it up. When he switches to one of them, the first dominates. Luck is well known for sharing the wealth, and he's smart enough to know that he has two other receivers not covered by Revis. The Jets offense should be good, but Luck is far and away a better QB than Fitzpatrick. It should be a great game, but I favor the Colts.

Week 14: VS Houston, Sun, Dec 11, 1:00 PM

After losing to the Texans earlier in the year, the Colts come out with a vengeance. In front of the home crowd, the Colts will steamroll Houston. Not much more to say. 

Week 15: AT Minnesota, Sun, Dec 18, 1:00 PM

I mean seriously. It's AP versus a horrific run defense. He's going to eat. We will keep it close, but AP will kill us in the long run.

Week 16: AT Oakland, Sat, Dec 24, 4:05 PM

Khalil Mack is going to be an Defensive POY candidate at this point, but the offense will hold off the Raiders. While Amari Cooper is going to kill it this year, he will have troubles matched up with Vontae Davis. Latavius Murray isn't exactly a bell cow back, meaning they won't run the ball to much. Our secondary will still be top tier, effectively shutting down their offense. We put up a few scores, we win.

Week 17: VS Jacksonville, Sun, Jan 1, 1:00 PM

See Week 14, Substitute Jaguars where it says Texans and Jacksonville for Houston.

Season Recap:

At the end of the year, the Colts finish 10-6, clinching the AFC South. They will make a Playoff run but lose in the AFC Championship game.

I hope you all enjoyed!!!! Feel free to critique!! GO BLUE!!!!

Jags won't have a true home field in week 4, as that game's in London. I believe the Colts will roll in that game, and I also don't agree with the Vikings prediction. My prediction is 11-5, so we're pretty close there. I just don't see those 2 losses happening, I think we win those 2 but lose to KC.

I'm not sure we'll have a horrific run defense (vs Vikings).  But who knows what we'll have by week 15.  Supposedly, the strength of our D is going to be the line.  Several young ILBs may or may not prove to be strong too.

I sure hope Denver wins their opening game, but I doubt it.  So if they're 0-1 when we show up the next week, and they have extra days to prepare - ugh.

It's nearly impossible to make any accurate predictions more than a couple weeks into the season with player turnover.  The team playing week 17 may not resemble week 1.  Hopefully it's because they're more experienced and not because of injuries.

Over all, nice read.

Nice job. Good analysis to go with it. Obviously predictions are a crapshoot, but they're still fun as heck.

If you're picks came true though, that would be one heck of a roller coaster season. I imagine there'd be "FIRE EVERYONE" threads after every loss. Then again, that pretty much happens after every loss anyways 

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Nice job. Good analysis to go with it. Obviously predictions are a crapshoot, but they're still fun as heck.

If you're picks came true though, that would be one heck of a roller coaster season. I imagine there'd be "FIRE EVERYONE" threads after every loss. Then again, that pretty much happens after every loss anyways 

I'm surprised they didn't start last night, since we didn't win.

Only thing I see that is a little off is in game 4, against Jacksonville, is in London...  don't think their home field will play a role there.   they will be a tough out regardless, but if home field was their advantage, it is gone IMO.

Good , well thought out write up though....  GO COLTS