Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Little Difference Between A Playoff Team And A Sb Team

oldunclemark

2 years is not a scientific sample..I'll admit

but the lesson of the last two seasons might be that there's little difference between a team that just makes the playoffs

like the 9-7 Giants and a Super Bowl team (like the 9-7 Giants)

From an Indy perspective..that's why i hope we dont blow up our team prematurely on a dream of future glory..

I'd like to sign vets like Reggie and Robert Mathis and Jeff S..and make a couple more runs...with Peyton Manning

before we 'renovate the house'

Because the 6th seed won the Super Bowl last year, right?

..and the 4th seed in the NFC is in this year..

Your thoughts?

Michael Jordan is considered the greatest basketball player because he was clutch enough to win championships. It matters when discussing the "greatest". I'd contend that argument is kinda overplayed. Teams in these situations usually have sustained success because of clutch QB play more than any other factor. There is a pretty big gap from the Pats to the Broncs this year? I'd say the Seahawks last year weren't a SB quality team. Just some thoughts.

the way i see it. you cant get to a superbowl without being balanced on both sides of the ball because of you dont and the side your more balanced in lets you down, you will be exposed. which is why teams like the packers made the superbowl. why the giants make the superbowl even the pats d stepped up when the offense was struggling. the saints had a great defense in 2009 and havent been to the superbowl since. 2006 and 2009 we made the superbowl because our defense played very well, but when its not we're most of the time one and done.

Michael Jordan is considered the greatest basketball player because he was clutch enough to win championships. It matters when discussing the "greatest". I'd contend that argument is kinda overplayed. Teams in these situations usually have sustained success because of clutch QB play more than any other factor. There is a pretty big gap from the Pats to the Broncs this year? I'd say the Seahawks last year weren't a SB quality team. Just some thoughts.

It does come down to your leaders....and the 9-7 NYGs did have a Manning...

..GB had a Rodgers..

But Denver was not a true player....Cant argue with that....

It's time to stop living in the past.

If there's not much difference between playoff teams and SB champs then why doesn't Indy have more titles? It's a rhetorical question and I'm not soliciting another tired response because all of them have already been talked into the ground here. The Giants this year, for example, bear very little resemblance to many of the Colt playoff teams over the past decade. And what of the few truly dominant eras/teams for just a handful of franchises over the decades - it should be clear what separates them from all others.

Everyone needs to quit being so afraid of the new here-and-now and the future. Things change. I'm glad we have a bold owner that'll move the team forward and I support everything that's been done. There's risk in everything. Welcome to life.

My thought is, that Irsay and Grigson didn't intend to blow up everything. They want to rebuild the team, and it would be snesless to send vets. Vets, if they are able to play at high quality abd rheir health allows, would play next year at colts.

Possibly those, who were injured throughout the whole season would be more likely traded.

It's time to stop living in the past.

If there's not much difference between playoff teams and SB champs then why doesn't Indy have more titles? It's a rhetorical question and I'm not soliciting another tired response because all of them have already been talked into the ground here. The Giants this year, for example, bear very little resemblance to many of the Colt playoff teams over the past decade. And what of the few truly dominant eras/teams for just a handful of franchises over the decades - it should be clear what separates them from all others.

Everyone needs to quit being so afraid of the new here-and-now and the future. Things change. I'm glad we have a bold owner that'll move the team forward and I support everything that's been done. There's risk in everything. Welcome to life.

the point..is

In pro sports..we slap labels on far too quickly

All you have to do in the NFL is make the playoffs and you are three wins from the Super Bowl.

If you win your division..you are likely 2 wins away..

2 Super Bowl berths is, I believe, two more than the San Diego has.

In answer to your question... Sometimes you bite the dog...and sometimes the dog bites you...

New England is why we only have 2...

2 is not that few..Ask the Bears.

The problem with the future is that no one can predict it and everyone tries to...

I like what we have now...Lets mend it, not end it..

I want to make the playoffs EVERY year..Not blow up our franchise and plan for 2015

the point..is

In pro sports..we slap labels on far too quickly

All you have to do in the NFL is make the playoffs and you are three wins from the Super Bowl.

If you win your division..you are likely 2 wins away..

2 Super Bowl berths is, I believe, two more than the San Diego has.

In answer to your question... Sometimes you bite the dog...and sometimes the dog bites you...

New England is why we only have 2...

2 is not that few..Ask the Bears.

The problem with the future is that no one can predict it and everyone tries to...

I like what we have now...Lets mend it, not end it..

I want to make the playoffs EVERY year..Not blow up our franchise and plan for 2015

Divergent views between us ain't no suprise, same as value assignment. Don't worry, there'll plenty of room for ya & others here down the line.

Have a good one, Mark.

The Packers were the best team in the league and were a playoff team, but were nowhere near a Super Bowl team. It's all about being able to have everything come together at the right time. Players healing, getting everyone comfortable in the offense/defense, finding something in a team's film that you didn't see before, and lots of luck. It's very hard to have all of that come together at the right time. The Pack's problem was not being in the groove. Rodgers had last taken a snap on Christmas, then had I think 3 weeks off. Sure, he got practice reps, but the game speed and practice speed, effort and intensity are very different. It's great to get guys healthy and all, but they were rested to the point of being rusty. Rodgers overthrew receivers, his receivers dropped catchable passes, they were simply rusty. They were out of the groove for so long that it hurt them

One has a superbowl ring and the other doesnt... id say thats a pretty big difference.. the other doesnt even have half a ring.

Its time for the colts to get younger and stronger and quicker at some positions, wayne and saturday... saturday is gonna retire and wayne is looking for money the colts need someone to compliment garcon who i believe will be back on this team.

There is a big difference (IMO) between a SB team and a playoff team. Look at that 2006 Colts squad and how well they played on defense. They played amazing, absolutely amazing. The offense didn't play great but considering they were playing against some top defenses (Bears, Ravens, Pats) they played well. That's what a SB team does; play well on both sides of the ball. Even special teams is a huge factor. Vinateri's FG's against the Ravens was huge. Adding on to that, playing well in all 3 phases is what wins you the SB.

The 9-7 Giants play well in all 3 phases. They stopped a high scoring Packers offense and outscored them, held the Falcons offense to 2 points, and 2 huge plays on special teams against the 49ers sealed the game. That is a perfect example of executing in all 3 phases.

It makes me scratch my head when Colts fans want Manning to come back but not address building a complete team around Manning.

There is a big difference (IMO) between a SB team and a playoff team. Look at that 2006 Colts squad and how well they played on defense. They played amazing, absolutely amazing. The offense didn't play great but considering they were playing against some top defenses (Bears, Ravens, Pats) they played well. That's what a SB team does; play well on both sides of the ball. Even special teams is a huge factor. Vinateri's FG's against the Ravens was huge. Adding on to that, playing well in all 3 phases is what wins you the SB.

The 9-7 Giants play well in all 3 phases. They stopped a high scoring Packers offense and outscored them, held the Falcons offense to 2 points, and 2 huge plays on special teams against the 49ers sealed the game. That is a perfect example of executing in all 3 phases.

It makes me scratch my head when Colts fans want Manning to come back but not address building a complete team around Manning.

Dont use the 9-7 Giants as a model///They were swept by the Redskins...They didnt play well in all phases until this month

there is no one model....NOLA won on pure offense......so did GB

...We cant copy other teams

We play indoors..and all division games are in warm weather places..

We have to have one of the league's best offenses or we will have what we had this year...

We cannot hope to stop top teams in this era..indoors and in warm weather.

We have to outscore them,

That's today's NFL...

Note that the top defensive teams are at home this week..as they were at SB 45 and SB 44

Dont use the 9-7 Giants as a model///They were swept by the Redskins...They didnt play well in all phases until this month

there is no one model....NOLA won on pure offense......so did GB

...We cant copy other teams

We play indoors..and all division games are in warm weather places..

We have to have one of the league's best offenses or we will have what we had this year...

We cannot hope to stop top teams in this era..indoors and in warm weather.

We have to outscore them,

That's today's NFL...

Note that the top defensive teams are at home this week..as they were at SB 45 and SB 44

Are you not reading to what I post? You need to play well in all 3 phases. It does not matter what you do in the regular season as long as you get in and get the wins. You can get in winning ugly, with a mediocre record etc.(granted your division sucked) What you do once you're in the playoffs is what matters. 16-0, 15-1, 14-2 don't guarantee anything.

What you do in the regular season never equates to what happens in the playoffs. It happens every year. There is always one or two teams that fly through the regular season and struggle in the playoffs. This year it was NO and GB. Just like the 2005 Colts. The 2006 Chargers. And so on. The two teams left right now played good defense, offense, AND special teams in the playoffs. Not so much in the regular season. The Giants held the Falcons to 2 points, GB to 20 (would have been lower if not for bad calls and a garbage time TD), and the 49ers to 17 (whom were 1 for 13 on 3rd down). The Patriots stopped the Tebow Show (not saying much there) and made huge defensive plays against the Ravens. The Lee Evans potential TD, the late Flacco pick, the last 3rd down to seal the game. They made a lot of good plays. We all know about the Giants and Pats high scoring offense. They just turned it around on defense in time to get into the big game. Brady made just enough plays (like the 4th and 1) to get the victory.

Why did the Colts win in 2006? Because they played great in all 3 phases. I don't know why I have to repeat myself a million times as my last post made it pretty clear. The team that plays the best in all 3 phases will always win no matter how poorly they did on defense or whatever in the regular season The 2009 Saints onside kick is an example of Special teams execution. That lead to points. The pick 6 on defense. And what they did on offense. That Saints team had a lot of turnovers on defense. Explosive on offense. They beat us at all 3 phases.

The Colts have relied on Mannings shoulders alone for far too long. Outscoring the opponent works until your quarterback has that one off day or the offense for whatever reason turns over the ball a lot. Those Pats and Steelers teams had a good quarterback surrounded by a complete team.