Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 Top 25 Free Agents (+4 more!)

Here's a fun list of top-25 free agents for next Spring.  

The thing is,  most will want more money than we're willing to spend.    And even if we have the money,  we'll likely be looking for underrated free agents that we can sign for a modest amount (like our corner Robinson this year)   that won't impact the Colts possibly earning an extra draft pick for 2018.

Just click and scroll.....    lots of interesting names....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/17114977/ranking-nfl-top-25-projected-free-agents-2017-kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

we'll likely be looking for underrated free agents that we can sign for a modest amount (like our corner Robinson this year)   that won't impact the Colts possibly earning an extra draft pick for 2018.

I don't think we'll be in the running for comp picks in 2018, based on the free agents we'll have.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair enough......     who are you anticipating our FA's to be?

Guys with expiring contracts include Mathis, Adams, Thornton, Cole, Walden, Butler and Moore. I'm assuming if Thornton and Moore play well enough to attract attention from other teams for qualifying contracts, we'll keep them.

Mathis, Adams and Cole are unlikely to attract a lot of attention. Even if they did, because they have more than 10 years service, they won't bring back more than a 5th rounder. Walden and Butler are unlikely to attract attention also.

I don't see other teams being eager to sign any of these guys. If Moore or Thornton had a great year and another team rushed out to sign them for big money, I could see the Colts holding back in free agency to secure a high comp pick. But I think that's an unlikely scenario, and under those unlikely circumstances, I'd rather the Colts keep that player/those players.

Because the 2013 draft class is basically gone, I see the 2017 offseason as the rare opportunity for the Colts to grab a big money free agent. That player would basically be taking the place of the draft picks that didn't earn second contracts, including the first rounder who was supposed to be an expensive pass rusher. They can do that and get ahead on Moncrief and Mewhort.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Guys with expiring contracts include Mathis, Adams, Thornton, Cole, Walden, Butler and Moore. I'm assuming if Thornton and Moore play well enough to attract attention from other teams for qualifying contracts, we'll keep them.

Mathis, Adams and Cole are unlikely to attract a lot of attention. Even if they did, because they have more than 10 years service, they won't bring back more than a 5th rounder. Walden and Butler are unlikely to attract attention also.

I don't see other teams being eager to sign any of these guys. If Moore or Thornton had a great year and another team rushed out to sign them for big money, I could see the Colts holding back in free agency to secure a high comp pick. But I think that's an unlikely scenario, and under those unlikely circumstances, I'd rather the Colts keep that player/those players.

Because the 2013 draft class is basically gone, I see the 2017 offseason as the rare opportunity for the Colts to grab a big money free agent. That player would basically be taking the place of the draft picks that didn't earn second contracts, including the first rounder who was supposed to be an expensive pass rusher. They can do that and get ahead on Moncrief and Mewhort.

Good post.     Good breakdown.      Even I could understand it!!

Appreciate you doing this......   :thmup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be my usual old self by the offseason. Expecting a couple big time impact signings, and complaining if it don't happen. But hey!! At least I'm honest right? LOL. But here we go. If they aren't tagged.......Melvin Ingram or Chandler Jones. We need a stud double digit sack EDGE rusher. And Dontari Poe. Brandon Marshall at ILB would be killer too. Or Stephon Gilmore at CB. Other than EDGE rusher, we don't really know what our needs will be at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
On July 25, 2016 at 7:34 PM, Superman said:

Great post and makes the most sense of so many posts in the forum. Pay for a solid FA player who you could have assumed would have been your own draft pick (had they not all failed) and be right on track where you should be. One has to wonder if the colts don't try and get ahead with Moncrief later this season or before next to secure a team friendly contract while also paying good money for a future talent for 4-5 more seasons. Mewhort is going to be a wait and see due to the scheme change. Does he really fit a ZBS or is he best suited in the power man?? Big questions and that will base where his money comes from IMO. Let's hope he excels well in the new scheme, I really liked Mewhort last season. 

On August 8, 2016 at 10:18 AM, COLTS449 said:

I'll be my usual old self by the offseason. Expecting a couple big time impact signings, and complaining if it don't happen. But hey!! At least I'm honest right? LOL. But here we go. If they aren't tagged.......Melvin Ingram or Chandler Jones. We need a stud double digit sack EDGE rusher. And Dontari Poe. Brandon Marshall at ILB would be killer too. Or Stephon Gilmore at CB. Other than EDGE rusher, we don't really know what our needs will be at this point.

We certainly need a rusher lb'er who can also play in space and another CB. Vontae is a top 5 CB when healthy but he has been nicked up a lot with the ankles and that's not good news for cb's who have to excellerate and cut like they do. Poe will probably be way too salty for our team who will be spending lots of cash for an offense ran by Luck.