Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blockbuster trade ideas

21isSuperman

As we all know, the offseason can be really slow.  I figure a fun idea would be to try to come up with some blockbuster trades (I defined it as trades involving at least one starter) that would make sense for both sides involved (or, if you're daring, a 3-team trade).

1. New Orleans trade Drew Brees to Buffalo for Stephon Gilmore and a conditional 4th round pick in 2017

Why New Orleans would do it: It's no surprise that the Saints aren't a complete enough team to compete in the next couple of years.  Brees is currently 37 and likely only has 2 years left in him at best.  So New Orleans decides to go into retool (not rebuild) mode and get a young corner to help their porous defense, and a conditional 4th round pick to give them ammo to possibly move up in next year's draft to select a good QB of the future.

While Buffalo would do it: Buffalo is a fairly complete team.  They have lots of weapons all over the place on offense and defense.  They are just a QB away from being Super Bowl contenders, in my opinion.  So they go into win-now mode and bring in Brees.  Some question the move because Brees has generally played in good conditions (San Diego, dome in New Orleans) and Buffalo isn't known for its temperate winters, but Brees can still play QB at a high level.  The Bills are also in contract talks with Stephon Gilmore, who is probably looking to get Josh Norman type of money in a contract extension.  Instead, the Bills decide to roll with Ronald Darby as their CB1 and hope the rest of their defense can pick up the slack to cover up the hole left by the leaving Gilmore.  Not only that, but with a consistent QB, they won't have as much pressure on their defense.

2. Chicago trades Jay Cutler to Cleveland for Duke Johnson and a conditional 3rd round pick in 2017

Why Chicago would do it: The Bears were essentially in fire-sale mode last year.  Around the trade deadline, there were reports that only a handful of players were off limits to trades and that everyone else was available.  The Bears won't be competing for the division title against the Packers and Vikings anytime soon, so they decide it's best to go into rebuild mode and try to build their team up again.  They get rid of Cutler, who has had a rocky tenure in Chicago.  In return, they get Duke Johnson and a conditional 3rd rounder.  John Fox likes to run the ball and Duke Johnson seems like he needs a change of scenery.  Not only that, but the current starting RB for the Bears is Jeremy Langford.  Plus, the Bears have a capable QB in Hoyer to get them through the season.  Alternatively, they try starting David Fales and go into full tank mode.

Why Cleveland would do it: Cleveland is another of those teams that just needs a QB and they will have a decently complete roster.  They have a solid OL, and decent defense.  Cutler has shown he can play in bad weather (and he has a cannon for an arm), and he quietly had a not-too-bad season last year with over 3500 yards and just 11 picks.  Hue Jackson is a no-nonsense coach, so I think he will garner more respect from Cutler than people like Marc Trestman or Mike Tice.  Cleveland gets a 33 year old QB who can still play, and they put him behind a solid OL.  This trade could make the AFC North the most competitive division in football.

3. Washington trades Pierre Garcon or DeSean Jackson to Detroit for Stephen Tulloch and a 5th round pick

Why Washington would do it: They drafted Josh Doctson 22nd overall, and it doesn't make sense to keep Jackson and Garcon when they combine for a nearly $20 mil cap hit.  With this trade, they get more defensive help Tulloch while not really hurting their pass catchers.  Doctson, Jackson/Garcon, and Reed is a solid group.  This move gets them some cap relief while bringing in some defensive help.

Why Detroit would do it: With the unexpected retirement of Megatron, their top receivers are Golden Tate and Marvin Jones.  Neither one of those guys is a WR1, but I think both are good WR2s.  Detroit is also trying to trade Tulloch.  If they can't trade him, they'll have to cut him and get nothing in return.  Doing this gives them the chance to get rid of Tulloch and get something in return.  Not only that, but they partially fill the void left by Johnson's retirement.

These perhaps aren't all that realistic, but it's something fun to talk about.  The draft picks I included in my trade may be unrealistic, and I admit that I didn't put as much thought into that portion of this thread, but I figure they make at least a little bit of sense.  In the first two, I value QBs more than other positions.  So while Gilmore and Johnson are both young, they don't give you what a good QB can give you.  I made the Cutler trade a little higher of a draft pick just because the Browns would be able to keep Cutler (33 years old) for longer than the Bills would have Brees (37 years old).

What are some (realistic) trades you can come up with?

1. New England Robert Kraft trades Tom Brady to the Los Angeles Rams for three 1st round draft picks, three 2nd round draft picks, and a conditional 6th.

Why New England Robert Kraft would do it: It's no secret Brady is aging, and New England's history of trading/abandoning veterans on the precipice of decline is well documented (Seymour, Cassel, Vrabel, etc.). No player is immune to the Patriot Way of dealing fan favorite players for their business related schemes, and Brady is no exception. Robert Kraft -- fed up with defending his city's star icon from scrutiny -- says he's had enough. He finally realizes Tom Brady is ruining the integrity of the game. This knowledge reaches Brady's ears from his informants, culminating into a death threat against Kraft. One day, Kraft accidentally sits down on a whoopee cushion, only to realize it's a deflated football with an attached death threat from someone claiming to be "the Deflator." Kraft rushes to his cellphone to notify the police, only to find the phone's destroyed! He bolts out into the hallway, immediately bumping into Tom Brady. Brady smiles, then says, "Hello, Mr. Kraft. You understand I'm playing until I'm 60, right?" Brady turns his back on Kraft and slowly gallivants down the hall, strutting his hips, abandoning a grief-stricken Kraft. Kraft falls to his knees, thinking, "I've created a monster! I'll be dead before he retires!" To protect himself, Kraft trades Brady, but Kraft can't help but get the feeling, while he sleeps alone at night, that he's being watched...

Why Los Angeles would do it: "I just want to feel like a winner." ~Jeff Fisher

I don't think teams that need quarterbacks are going after Brees or Cutler lol! Somebody could be conned into Brees but not the Bills. It'd be hilarious though. Brees is more protected and catered to, pathologically, than any player I've ever seen and I've seen 2000s Brett Favre lol! He wouldn't last half a season anywhere else.

24 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Rem I hate the Pats to but "abandoning" veterans lol come on mayne!

I read somewhere that before week 17 Cutler was the only starter that didn't throw more than 1 INT a week!?!?!

Bout the same amount of TDs as well.