Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If I Was Irsay I Would

LUCK TO THE COLTS

Just because the guy spits and yells a lot on the sidelines doesn't mean he'll be a great coach for us.....just sayin'

Don't be so distracted by mannerisms. He was a successful coach. His players absolutely loved and respected him, and the result was championships.

Don't be so distracted by mannerisms. He was a successful coach. His players absolutely loved and respected him, and the result was championships.

Not distracted by mannerisms at all. Championships? In roughly 15 years, the result was (correct me if I'm wrong) only two AFC championships and a Superbowl. Great achievement, I will admit, but not something we should go out of our way to acquire. I'm also not saying he'll be a terrible coach, by any stretch of the imagination. I keep reading posts about how we need a coach with some fire in his belly, which was mostly what my comment was directed towards. That being said, I don't think a retiree-turned-TV commentator is the answer for the Colts right now. Just my .02! Not trying to start a crap flinging war...it just seems like everyone is throwing anybody with a rings resume on the table like they're the Second Coming....

If I were Jim Irsay, I'd have Mike Vanderjagt kidnapped and airmail him to an west african nature preserve.

If I was Jim Irsay I'd have Jeff Linkenbacher beaten with a hose until he learned how to block.

If I was Jim Irsay, I'd have a solid gold toilet built that only I could use.

If I was Irsay, I'd attach a couple of .50 cals to my helicopter and start heading towards Boston. (after making a quick stop by Rob Lowe's house)

If I were Jim Irsay, I'd buy the largest housecat I could find, and have it shaved so that it looked exactly like a lion.

If I were Jim Irsay, I'd have a 3 piece suit made out of the same material they make the jerseys with.

If I were Jim Irsay, I'd pay a college intern to prank call Chris Collinsworth until he had to change his number.

Hey! lmao

Not distracted by mannerisms at all. Championships? In roughly 15 years, the result was (correct me if I'm wrong) only two AFC championships and a Superbowl. Great achievement, I will admit, but not something we should go out of our way to acquire. I'm also not saying he'll be a terrible coach, by any stretch of the imagination. I keep reading posts about how we need a coach with some fire in his belly, which was mostly what my comment was directed towards. That being said, I don't think a retiree-turned-TV commentator is the answer for the Colts right now. Just my .02! Not trying to start a crap flinging war...it just seems like everyone is throwing anybody with a rings resume on the table like they're the Second Coming....

Cowher is a winner. Thats not even up for debate. He had 11 winning seasons and an 8-8 season over his 15 year career in the NFL. How could you not like that. There's no one else out there that compares to Cowher. Just because he's been retired for a few years doesn't mean he lost his ability to coach. The Rams just went out and paid a pile of money for a coach that only had 6 winning seasons in his 17 year NFL career. So by those standards Cowher is a no brainer

I hear ya. However myself and many others are clamoring for an experienced HC. I am aware that many people desire a coach with "fire"....whatever that is. I couldn't care if the guy is as animated and an epileptic on a treadmill or passive as a kitten. Gimmie someone that has been there, done that, and has a resume befitting an NFL HC.

I'd find a running back that could be compared to Larry Csonka or John Riggins. I'm sick of all the 3rd and 1's where our running back hits the line and falls down for a one yard loss.

I'd get some defensive minded coach that would scrap the 'bend don't break' strategy and go with a 'make their quarterback sorry he was born' strategy.

Oh yeah, mandatory cheerleader sleepovers at my house every Saturday.

Cowher is a winner. Thats not even up for debate. He had 11 winning seasons and an 8-8 season over his 15 year career in the NFL. How could you not like that. There's no one else out there that compares to Cowher. Just because he's been retired for a few years doesn't mean he lost his ability to coach. The Rams just went out and paid a pile of money for a coach that only had 6 winning seasons in his 17 year NFL career. So by those standards Cowher is a no brainer

That is a great statistic! However, as a Colts fan I've grown restless with great regular season victories, only to falter in the playoffs. One would argue that Bill Cowher inherited that talent in 95' to get to the Superbowl. Much like Gruden in Tampa...? His man love for Kordell Stewart brought on several non play off appearances, only to finally start Maddox and take them to the AFC. It's well known that drafting Roethlisberger wasn't what Cowher wanted, and it wasn't until Tomlin that they started seeing Big Ben's ability for the deep threat. After a great season with the aging Maddox, he wanted to stand by him and not pick up another QB. Winning coach: Yes, won't debate you there as the record speaks for itself. Cowher knows defense! I think he could work magic for us in that area. I'm just not feeling his offensive decisions all that much, and considering we may have a rookie QB next reason, I'm a little reserved at the moment about Cowher...

I hear ya. However myself and many others are clamoring for an experienced HC. I am aware that many people desire a coach with "fire"....whatever that is. I couldn't care if the guy is as animated and an epileptic on a treadmill or passive as a kitten. Gimmie someone that has been there, done that, and has a resume befitting an NFL HC.

I see your point there, and obviously I'm not hoping for a complete * to take over the reigns. As long as we get a very competent OC, I wouldn't mind having Cowher come in, if anything just so he could set up something that could pass as a defense in the NFL....

You do know that there is more than one variety of championship in the NFL, right?

Also, the lowly 1 SB win is 1 more than most NFL HC's ever claim to own.

He got that one SB win by riding the coattails of the defense.

Sorry, no one's mentioned coattails in this thread yet, so I figured I'd be the first.