Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Well the Rich is getting Richer

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

I didn't see too much love for him around here (injuries).  Still, it's tough watching the spending spree of all of our divisional rivals...

Yeah and us not do anything to compensate. The jags D got alot better, and we do nothing to bolster our O-line. The Titans and Texans got better on O and we sit on our hands and do nothing to help make our D better to slow them down. I don't complain much, and am glad we didn't go fishing in the big pond by overpaying like our rivals. However, we have wayyy.. to many holes to fill, the draft alone wont get us there. Alot of very good players got very team friendly deals that I wouldve liked Grigson to have atleast kicked the tires on. Our lines and secondary are a mess. I don't get why we release players and ask players to restructure if we aren't going to use that money to improve our team. Sorry rant over...Bleed Blue!

10 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

Yeah and us not do anything to compensate. The jags D got alot better, and we do nothing to bolster our O-line. The Titans and Texans got better on O and we sit on our hands and do nothing to help make our D better to slow them down. I don't complain much, and am glad we didn't go fishing in the big pond by overpaying like our rivals. However, we have wayyy.. to many holes to fill, the draft alone wont get us there. Alot of very good players got very team friendly deals that I wouldve liked Grigson to have atleast kicked the tires on. Our lines and secondary are a mess. I don't get why we release players and ask players to restructure if we aren't going to use that money to improve our team. Sorry rant over...Bleed Blue!

Free agency is not over. We have yet to have a draft. I am not too sure about those team friendly deals you are referring to.

I don't know how the rich got richer when he signed a one year deal, and nobody was really after. Jags figured he was an upgrade, but who knows if he will be. He was an OK player for Jacksonville, but I don't believe he is the type of player you add and say your secondary is better.

Jacksonville looks better on paper, but they did last year also. They improve last year, but not for how much they spent. They need to improve quite a bit this year, or all they did was become poorer. You don't give a player who is not a pro bowler 45M guaranteed(Jackson). They have done some very large FA acquisitions the last two years, and next year and the one after that they have a lot of people they need to resign. They may have just made sure in the long run they will become poorer. FA does not translate into wins.

Everyone wants us to make deals for guys. I wanted a quality guard and a quality CB, but that was it. After seeing the prices which were paid in the last 3 days, and the success we have had with FA, and what history says about FA, I think I would rather hoard my money for a bit.

I had the Jags taking Vernon Hargreaves in my mock. I hope this move  means they're looking elsewhere at 5. If so that could push Hargreaves down to us since The Bucs also signed Grimes. It's a long shot still but draft wise it's good for the Colts.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I had the Jags taking Vernon Hargreaves in my mock. I hope this move  means they're looking elsewhere at 5. If so that could push Hargreaves down to us since The Bucs also signed Grimes. It's a long shot still but draft wise it's good for the Colts.

I'm still thinking Eli Apple for us. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Free agencyis not over. We have yet to  have a draft. I am not too sure about those team friendly deals you are referring to.

You wouldnt have resigned Lowery for the cheap 3 year deal he got, or took Travathen for 7 mil a yr, Jeremey Lane for 5.8 per, Brandon Mebane 4.5, Mitchell Schwartz 6.6,  jeff Allen 7 mil a yr, Tyvon Branch 4 a yr, Robert Ayers 7 mil a yr.? Thats just naming a few i believe were well worth there v contracts that I wouldve liked to seen the colts look Into, I know we couldnt have signed them all but 1 or 2 wouldvebeen nice.

12 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

You wouldnt have resigned Lowery for the cheap 3 year deal he got, or took Travathen for 7 mil a yr, Jeremey Lane for 5.8 per, Brandon Mebane 4.5, Mitchell Schwartz 6.6,  jeff Allen 7 mil a yr, Tyvon Branch 4 a yr, Robert Ayers 7 mil a yr.? Thats just naming a few i believe were well worth there v contracts that I wouldve liked to seen the colts look Into, I know we couldnt have signed them all but 1 or 2 wouldvebeen nice.

Just because you throw out a yearly money number does not mean these contracts were team friendly. You have the term of the contract. You have the guaranteed money. You have any dead cap money to consider just in case they didn't work out. Before free agency started Grigson said he wasn't going to hit free agency hard. Free agency just started and wont stop till the season starts. We have the draft. Maybe Grigson want to do some dealing in that? I have no clue? Most of the time there is a reason these players become free agents. There are either over priced, not playing to the contract or age. Some are over valued. Do you assume that Grigson didn't contact any of these players agents? He may have and couldn't strike a deal. Don't you think Luck's contract is going to effect how much money is spent on free agents? Just because you haven't heard a lot from Grigson does not mean anything. You will hear the news when a deal is done.

15 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

He signed a 1 year deal because nobody else wanted him. There was 1 team that had a worse defense than the Jags, the Giants. And they benched him during last season.

Where did you read that Prince was benched? I don't believe that is accurate. He was injured most of the year.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just because you throw out a yearly money number does not mean these contracts were team friendly. You have the term of the contract. You have the guaranteed money. You have any dead cap money to consider just in case they didn't work out. Before free agency started Grigson said he wasn't going to hit free agency hard. Free agency just started and wont stop till the season starts. We have the draft. Maybe Grigson want to do some dealing in that? I have no clue? Most of the time there is a reason these players become free agents. There are either over priced, not playing to the contract or age. Some are over valued. Do you assume that Grigson didn't contact any of these players agents? He may have and couldn't strike a deal. Don't you think Luck's contract is going to effect how much money is spent on free agents? Just because you haven't heard a lot from Grigson does not mean anything. You will hear the news when a deal is done.

I understand your point and agree to some of what you are saying. I know we still have the draft but not sure why you keep mentioning it, I already stated that we CANT address all our needs in the draft. I would just like to see the Colts sign 1 or 2 starters (I know it can still happen) then we can fill the rest in the draft. About your first points about the free agents and numbers I posted, I know the details I just didn't want to make it a 5 paragraph write up going into every players exact details. All the players I mentioned did get good contracts both for them and their new teams and where well worth their pay IMO. Either way we aren't the GM so it's not exactly up to us were both rooting for the same and will continue to do so no matter what they do or don't do in free agency, I would have just liked to seen them get 1 or 2 as I mentioned. Here's to hoping we can at least sign Hayward!