Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting to Warm to Emmanuel Ogbah in Round 1

I've been hearing more and more stuff talking up Emmanuel Ogbah.  At first, I was looking for a Mathis Clone to "fit the Defense".  But, now I'm thinking more along the lines of adding the best pass-rusher we can get our hands on and letting the new DC find the best way to integrate him.  Something tells me this is the method that NFL personnel guys are more likely to employ.  Anyway, here are some things I read on Rotoworld since the beginning of March:

Rivals recruiting director Mike Farrell noted that Oklahoma State DE Emmanuel Ogbah "plays angry and physical, flattens out around the edge very well and is disruptive in the backfield."  Wrote Farrell, "[Ogbah]'s also an active tackler to the outside and in space and he explodes to the quarterback when he breaks free. His 40 time will help overcome his lack of length as he could be a standup guy at times." The 6-foot-4, 275-pounder ran the aforementioned 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds, a fantastic mark for a defensive lineman. "His numbers weren’t off-the-charts [on the whole], but they were impressive at his position group, so he could easily move up the charts if he has another strong showing at his pro day," according to Rivals. A scout speaking with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel said flat-out "whoever takes him will get an excellent player."

and, from "anonymous scouts":

"He can play any position except nose. He does what they tell him to do. He plays the defense." Ogbah posted 28 sacks in 36 starts across three seasons at Oklahoma State. "Good effort player," the other scout said. "Very explosive. Late first, early second." At the Combine, Ogbah ran the 40-yard dash in a blistering 4.63 seconds and his arms measured in at 35 1/2 inches.

I like him in round 2, round 1 is to high. He's a a great athlete but really doesn't have any technique. He just bull rushes and can be taken out of the game far to easily. He can definitely be coached up and be a decent player but I don't think he's a day 1 impact player

As I've said for several weeks now, I'd take Ogbah at 18 (unless someone much better falls), and try for a very good center in round 2. I think we have a lot of under-developed talent on this team. Maybe that will change with the new coaching. Then again, maybe not.

49 minutes ago, will426 said:

We should trade to the end of the first and pick up a second or just outta the first period 

You just never know if the trade partners will be there and what they'll be offering.  That being said, I think trading down would be a real option this year.  If Shaq Lawson is gone, I see a number of different options at different positions that could be available later.  Ogbah, Apple, Spence, Kelly, and maybe even Zeke Elliott.  Not to mention Billings and whatever your favorite DL is (though I don't see the big need.)

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Off the radar?      How about we trade down and then take him?

If Billings is gone then yes. I'd take Lawson over him though. Ogbah would be the hardest transition to an OLB because he doesn't have natural bend and burst.

They have an article on nfl.com saying Camalei Correa might be similar to Clay Matthews.  I like the guy, but I don't know who came to that conclusion!  Would be nice if he is that and we draft him though....

I'll say this. When you really pay attention to his tape you will see they use him at ILB on some passing situations and other similar ways Clay Matthews is used in Green Bay.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641933/article/boise-states-kamalei-correa-draws-clay-matthews-comparisons