Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Courtney Upshaw

23 minutes ago, SuperJoe33 said:

Has anybody heard any chatter on Courtney Upshaw? Just wonder with the change of defensive coordinators and him being a former player.

There is a lot of talk and rumors of him going to Chicago. Not a real reliable source linking him to the Bears just yet, but there is chatter.

Like MTC said. He's a decent rotational OLB. We have 1 or 2 of those already.. What we need now at OLB is a premier pass rusher. A game wrecking beast. This may sound funny, but Courtney Upshaw isn't going to come in and put up 12 sacks and get whole bunch of pressures LOL. So......I don't want him. We already have Walden. No need in getting another guy just like him, or very similar. LOL Walden's actually quite a bit better than Upshaw, but their still similar.

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd like him here for depth and to see if he could break out. But he'd be a nice rotational SAM

I'm actually down with this idea as a SAM.  He's young and pretty good at setting that edge. He's also never missed a game or a practice in his career.  Also known to be very tough in the locker room as well as an overall very tough player. Wouldn't be a bad addition in the role you describe as long as it's for relatively cheap dollars.  Plus he's got playoff experience.

Upshaw is one of the most reliable edge-setting linebackers in the NFL, and he’s a vital piece in keeping Baltimore’s run defense among the league’s best. He finished this season with 51 tackles, two sacks, two forced fumbles and two passes defensed.

The Alabama product has also earned a reputation as one of the toughest players in the locker room. He hasn’t missed a game during his four years in Baltimore despite playing a physical position in the trenches. “He’s a tough, tough guy, and I don’t know if Courtney has missed a practice all year,” Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees said. “If he has, it’s maybe one, and I don’t know if there’s any; and you know he’s hurting. He’s beat up. You don’t play that position and not get beat up.”

Pees made his feelings about Upshaw clear last week when asked whether he thought the matchup with the Bengals would be the defender’s final game as a Raven. Pees cut off the question before the reporter finished and said, “Don’t say that.”

In many ways, Upshaw personifies exactly what the Ravens want from their players. “He brings an attitude to the defense,” Pees said. “That’s what he brings to it, is just a sense of toughness – which is what you’re always looking for on defense – and a leader. He’s not a vocal guy, but he shows it on the field. And he’s a tough, tough, hard-nosed player, and he’s a very smart player.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Courtney-Upshaw-Doesnt-Wonder-About-Future-With-Ravens/bb45444b-07f5-48dc-8196-6e8326317b26

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm actually down with this idea as a SAM.  He's young and pretty good at setting that edge. He's also never missed a game or a practice in his career.  Also known to be very tough in the locker room as well as an overall very tough player. Wouldn't be a bad addition in the role you describe as long as it's for relatively cheap dollars.  Plus he's got playoff experience.

Upshaw is one of the most reliable edge-setting linebackers in the NFL, and he’s a vital piece in keeping Baltimore’s run defense among the league’s best. He finished this season with 51 tackles, two sacks, two forced fumbles and two passes defensed.

The Alabama product has also earned a reputation as one of the toughest players in the locker room. He hasn’t missed a game during his four years in Baltimore despite playing a physical position in the trenches. “He’s a tough, tough guy, and I don’t know if Courtney has missed a practice all year,” Defensive Coordinator Dean Pees said. “If he has, it’s maybe one, and I don’t know if there’s any; and you know he’s hurting. He’s beat up. You don’t play that position and not get beat up.”

Pees made his feelings about Upshaw clear last week when asked whether he thought the matchup with the Bengals would be the defender’s final game as a Raven. Pees cut off the question before the reporter finished and said, “Don’t say that.”

In many ways, Upshaw personifies exactly what the Ravens want from their players. “He brings an attitude to the defense,” Pees said. “That’s what he brings to it, is just a sense of toughness – which is what you’re always looking for on defense – and a leader. He’s not a vocal guy, but he shows it on the field. And he’s a tough, tough, hard-nosed player, and he’s a very smart player.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Courtney-Upshaw-Doesnt-Wonder-About-Future-With-Ravens/bb45444b-07f5-48dc-8196-6e8326317b26

I believe he would be fine as our SAM and while I like what Walden has done, he is entering the final year of his contract. Money of course would be the main thing with signing him though?

6 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I believe he would be fine as our SAM and while I like what Walden has done, he is entering the final year of his contract. Money of course would be the main thing with signing him though?

I don't believe he will command much dollars wise and I don't believe we have to sacrifice Walden for Upshaw or Upshaw for Walden. They can both work in tandem like Walden and Werner did.  I do believe Pagano, Monachino and Grigson will look his way.  I felt stronger about it after I read that he's never missed a game or practice due to injury.  Grigson likes adding guys to the team that are durable.  That was one of the number one traits he listed about his Kendall Langford signing last year.  One of the bigger problems with Werner is he stays injured too much and that's part of why he's headed out the door.  Replace him with Upshaw.

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't believe he will command much dollars wise and I don't believe we have to sacrifice Walden for Upshaw or Upshaw for Walden. They can both work in tandem like Walden and Werner did.  I do believe Pagano, Monachino and Grigson will look his way.  I felt stronger about it after I read that he's never missed a game or practice due to injury.  Grigson likes adding guys to the team that are durable.  That was one of the number one traits he listed about his Kendall Langford signing last year.  One of the bigger problems with Werner is he stays injured too much and that's part of why he's headed out the door.  Replace him with Upshaw.

Thank you as that was my thought as well, just didn't convey it like you did. I am multitasking and failing at all of them, lol! 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I just hope those comments don't mean the Ravens will have a change of heart and lock him up to some big deal.

I think we have the edge since we have his LB coach now. I'm sure Ted is vouching for him and selling him to Grigson. 

He he could rotate with Walden or take over if they decide to cut Walden and go younger. I'm thinking he gets a 2 year prove it deal, and if he breaks out, they'll lock him up. But he would do wonders for our OLB depth. We could then focus on only trying to find a rush OLB via the draft.

1 hour ago, Traines said:

Who knows, but I'm not overly impressed with Upshaw...and I certainly wouldn't cut Walden in a contract year.

I probably wouldn't wither. But the staff has said we want to get younger. Replacing Walden with a younger, similar version seems possible.

I think he is a definite possibility for some of the reasons mentioned.  He would fit the new scheme with Monachino.  I don't think he would be to expensive. And he is younger and durable. I am sure he is being lobbied for.  He would be a good signing like Langford.