Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts Offseason Mock

Here is my latest offseason mock with a few realistic trades involved in the draft...

(Trades - Indy trades 18th and 4th round pick to Minn for 23rd, 2nd round pick , Indy trades 2017 4th for 2016 5th)

Round 1 Pick 23 (MINN): Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (B-)
Round 2 Pick 17: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky (A-)
Round 2 Pick 23 (MINN): Sheldon Rankins, DT/NT Louisville (A-)
Round 3 Pick 19: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford (A)
Round 5 Pick 2 (CLE): Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A+)
Round 5 Pick 16: Deiondre' Hall, CB, Northern Iowa (A)
Round 7 Pick 18: Leon Allen, RB, Western Kentucky (A)

In free agency I have Indy signing...

CB Casey Hayward (Would rather have Trumaine Johnson here but Pagano wanted Hayward in the draft)

OG Jeff Allen (Grigson usually signs the cheaper OG)

FS Eric Weddle (Ties to new secondary coach)

DE Malik Jackson (Grigson always seems to sign a free agent DL almost every year. 2012- Redding, 2014, Art Jones, 2015- Kendall Langford. Jackson could very well be the best of all of them. He has explosion and very good pass rush for a 3-4 DE. You can never have enough DL, and pass rush from the DL is needed. Art Jones could be a bust here so Indy needs a talented 3rd DE alongside Anderson and Langford. Indy's DE depth is now very deep with Langford, Anderson, Jackson, McGill, and Winn. Jones is more of a NT at this point and Rankins is best suited there also sharing time with Parry.)

Indy resigns...

TE Coby Fleener

K Adam Vinatieri

ILB Jerrell Freeman

S Mike Adams

DE Billy Winn

Indy cuts...

WR Andre Johnson

OLB Trent Cole

ILB D'Qwell Jackson

OLB Bjoern Werner

Indy restructures...

OLB Erik Walden

DT Art Jones (Don't know what his cap hit would be if he were cut, but if he doesn't produce in 2016, could be cut in 2017 offseason)

Biggest area of needs post free agency and draft - Center (Yes I didn't exactly address this, and my reason is because I'm not crazy about the free agents or draft class this year of centers. Unless the Colts can get Alex Mack on a deal, there isn't options for great improvement here. I have them sticking with Khaled Holmes in a more zone blocking scheme which best suits him.)

I get it. We have a lot of needs and not a lot of picks to do it. We desperately need an infusion of young talent. 

However, that doesn't mean that the Colts are going to do some random trade down scenario so they can have an adundance of picks. There's no reason to believe they'll trade down to 18. And why would they trade a future 4th? So next year they can trade another pick to get their 4th back?

I know there's a lot of prospects you would like on the Colts but the reality is we can't get them all.

52 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I get it. We have a lot of needs and not a lot of picks to do it. We desperately need an infusion of young talent. 

However, that doesn't mean that the Colts are going to do some random trade down scenario so they can have an adundance of picks. There's no reason to believe they'll trade down to 18. And why would they trade a future 4th? So next year they can trade another pick to get their 4th back?

I know there's a lot of prospects you would like on the Colts but the reality is we can't get them all.

I didn't trade down to the point where the Colts have an abundance of picks. I did ONE trade down, and traded a future 4th to get a high 5th. How is that so unrealistic? Anything can happen in the draft.

35 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I didn't trade down to the point where the Colts have an abundance of picks. I did ONE trade down, and traded a future 4th to get a high 5th. How is that so unrealistic? Anything can happen in the draft.

1. The Vikings aren't giving us their 2nd just to move up 5 spots in the 1st and have an extra 4th

2. The Colts haven't picked this high since 2012 when we picked #1. No way they take a pick a decent amount higher than where they usually draft just to trade down.

3. There's no reason for them to get an extra 5th this year. You're basically doing that to account for picks they've lost, which is not how drafting works. 

Thats why it's unrealistic 

On 1/27/2016 at 7:49 PM, BProland85 said:

Here is my latest offseason mock with a few realistic trades involved in the draft...

(Trades - Indy trades 18th and 4th round pick to Minn for 23rd, 2nd round pick , Indy trades 2017 4th for 2016 5th)

Round 1 Pick 23 (MINN): Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (B-)
Round 2 Pick 17: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky (A-)
Round 2 Pick 23 (MINN): Sheldon Rankins, DT/NT Louisville (A-)
Round 3 Pick 19: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford (A)
Round 5 Pick 2 (CLE): Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA (A+)
Round 5 Pick 16: Deiondre' Hall, CB, Northern Iowa (A)
Round 7 Pick 18: Leon Allen, RB, Western Kentucky (A)

In free agency I have Indy signing...

CB Casey Hayward (Would rather have Trumaine Johnson here but Pagano wanted Hayward in the draft)

OG Jeff Allen (Grigson usually signs the cheaper OG)

FS Eric Weddle (Ties to new secondary coach)

DE Malik Jackson (Grigson always seems to sign a free agent DL almost every year. 2012- Redding, 2014, Art Jones, 2015- Kendall Langford. Jackson could very well be the best of all of them. He has explosion and very good pass rush for a 3-4 DE. You can never have enough DL, and pass rush from the DL is needed. Art Jones could be a bust here so Indy needs a talented 3rd DE alongside Anderson and Langford. Indy's DE depth is now very deep with Langford, Anderson, Jackson, McGill, and Winn. Jones is more of a NT at this point and Rankins is best suited there also sharing time with Parry.)

Indy resigns...

TE Coby Fleener

K Adam Vinatieri

ILB Jerrell Freeman

S Mike Adams

DE Billy Winn

Indy cuts...

WR Andre Johnson

OLB Trent Cole

ILB D'Qwell Jackson

OLB Bjoern Werner

Indy restructures...

OLB Erik Walden

DT Art Jones (Don't know what his cap hit would be if he were cut, but if he doesn't produce in 2016, could be cut in 2017 offseason)

Biggest area of needs post free agency and draft - Center (Yes I didn't exactly address this, and my reason is because I'm not crazy about the free agents or draft class this year of centers. Unless the Colts can get Alex Mack on a deal, there isn't options for great improvement here. I have them sticking with Khaled Holmes in a more zone blocking scheme which best suits him.)

You won`t take the time to look up a contract... Come on man!
 And BTW, there are 4-5 Quality starting type centers in this draft. JMO of course
 Sheldon Rankins looks pretty good with a decent shot at being drafted in rd 1 with Spence.
 I would enjoy seeing what you think Malik Jackson will cost.

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Rankins got hurt today. Knee injury, no one has said how serious. I didn't think he'd last very long, but depending on the severity of his injury, he might slide.

I originally had him drafted to Indy in late round 2 so hopefully that winds up happening! He's the next Kawann Short. 

47 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You won`t take the time to look up a contract... Come on man!
 And BTW, there are 4-5 Quality starting type centers in this draft. JMO of course
 Sheldon Rankins looks pretty good with a decent shot at being drafted in rd 1 with Spence.
 I would enjoy seeing what you think Malik Jackson will cost.

Im guessing somewhere around what Art Jones received. Indy would just need to restructure Jones to allow the cap room to do so. Or they could cut Jones next offseason. 

13 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Im guessing somewhere around what Art Jones received. Indy would just need to restructure Jones to allow the cap room to do so. Or they could cut Jones next offseason. 

Malik Jackson is going to cost more than the $9m/year that Derek Wolfe just got, and my estimate is something around $13m/year.

He'll easily cost twice as much as Art Jones, probably more. And he's worth it.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  a 4-3 DT.

It's not clear at all that Rankins can play in a 3-4.

The Colts don't strictly run a 3-4. They employ schemes in the 4-3 as well. It's been called a hybrid defense by Pagano, and with Monachino coming in, it will continue to be so. Sheldon Rankins is also good enough to share time with Parry at NT.

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

Malik Jackson is going to cost more than the $9m/year that Derek Wolfe just got, and my estimate is something around $13m/year.

He'll easily cost twice as much as Art Jones, probably more. And he's worth it.

I'll have to see that before I believe it. 13 mil per year is insane money. That's close to JJ Watt territory. Watt is making roughly 16-17 mil per year.

With the increase in cap, I expect it to be around 5 years, 45 mil.

Here's my latest with a trade that we can all agree is very realistic...

Round 1 Pick 18: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame
Round 2 Pick 17: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
Round 3 Pick 2 (CLE): Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
Round 3 Pick 19: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford
Round 4 Pick 18: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA
Round 5 Pick 16: Deiondre Hall, CB, Northern Iowa
Round 7 Pick 18: Leon Allen, RB, Western Kentucky

Indy trades 2017 2nd for early 3rd (This draft is loaded with defensive talent, and the Colts need all the help they can get on defense, so adding Rankins a year early is completely fine by me. If Indy can create a very talented and deep DL, this defense will flourish especially with the added pass rush from Smith and Spence.

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 9:13 PM, BProland85 said:

According to the draft value chart, we'd have to give MN our 1st and 3rd (not our 4th) for their 1st and 2nd.  Still may be worth it if you think the guy you would pick at 18 would still be there 5 slots later.

I think you do that trade if you were looking at a sure-thing Olineman in the first round or maybe a different 5 tech DL to replace Jones, not feeling comfortable with the impact ability of any of the LBs below 15.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

The Colts don't strictly run a 3-4. They employ schemes in the 4-3 as well. It's been called a hybrid defense by Pagano, and with Monachino coming in, it will continue to be so. Sheldon Rankins is also good enough to share time with Parry at NT.

Do you want to spend the 18th pick overall on a guy who can play when we're in a 4-3?     And we're not in a 4-3 all that much.

Rankins is likely not going to be our 2nd round pick.    If we get him,  it will be in the first round.    I don't want to use the 18th pick on a part time player.

Your latest mock draft is a good example of how bad these computer games are.

Spence at 18th in the 2nd round?     Possible,  but not likely.

Rankins to the 3rd round?     He had a very nice couple of days at the Senior Bowl. He's being talked about as a 1st rounder.    The chances of him falling to the 3rd round are practically non-exhistant.

This is why I repeatedly caution people NOT to take these simulation games seriously.     Don't come up with a mock draft -- post it here -- and proclaim "this is what we should do!"      Because almost all them are NOT realistic.  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you want to spend the 18th pick overall on a guy who can play when we're in a 4-3?     And we're not in a 4-3 all that much.

Rankins is likely not going to be our 2nd round pick.    If we get him,  it will be in the first round.    I don't want to use the 18th pick on a part time player.

I never said I wanted to use the 18th pick on Rankins. But I do think it is a good possibility he is there for their 2nd rounder. And a talented and versatile DL like Rankins can find a place in the Colts scheme. He played all over the DL for Louisville from everything I've read.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I never said I wanted to use the 18th pick on Rankins. But I do think it is a good possibility he is there for their 2nd rounder. And a talented and versatile DL like Rankins can find a place in the Colts scheme. He played all over the DL for Louisville from everything I've read.

I would've thought Rankins might last to the 2nd round...   until this week.

Since he's had a very good week of senior bowl practice,  he may now be a 1st rounder.

Not set in stone,   but his arrow is trending up....

One last thought....   playing all over the line in college is not always an indicator of being a scheme fit on the NFL level.    I think he's around 6'1" and 305.    Roughly the size of David Parry.       

He feels more a 4-3 DT than he does a lineman in a 3-4 scheme.  

Just my initial impression.....   I'd love to hear otherwise from experts...

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Here's my latest with a trade that we can all agree is very realistic...

Round 1 Pick 18: Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame
Round 2 Pick 17: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
Round 3 Pick 2 (CLE): Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
Round 3 Pick 19: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford
Round 4 Pick 18: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA
Round 5 Pick 16: Deiondre Hall, CB, Northern Iowa
Round 7 Pick 18: Leon Allen, RB, Western Kentucky

Indy trades 2017 2nd for early 3rd (This draft is loaded with defensive talent, and the Colts need all the help they can get on defense, so adding Rankins a year early is completely fine by me. If Indy can create a very talented and deep DL, this defense will flourish especially with the added pass rush from Smith and Spence.

Spence is going to end up being a mid to late first rounder... The whole drug issue isn't a concern to teams any more from what's been said. Had he stayed at Ohio State and continued his development under Meyer, he would have been a top-5 pick.

21 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'll have to see that before I believe it. 13 mil per year is insane money. That's close to JJ Watt territory. Watt is making roughly 16-17 mil per year.

With the increase in cap, I expect it to be around 5 years, 45 mil.

JJ Watt never hit free agency, and got just over $16m/year. Suh went to free agency and got $19m/year, and Watt is definitely better.

Marcell Dareus got $16m/year. Gerald McCoy got just under $16m/year. Geno Atkins got just under $11m/year. Corey Liuget got over $10m/year. Cameron Heyward got just under $10m/year. None of those guys hit free agency, all got extended at least one year early.

Before making any releases, the Raiders have over $60m in cap space, the Bears have $55m, the Bucs have $46m, the Niners have $45m, the Jags have $42m. Mo Wilkerson will probably get franchise tagged, so Malik Jackson will be the best defensive lineman to hit free agency. He's 26 years old. 

Add all that up, and I don't think you're even close at $9m/year. JMO