Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Would Veterns Think?

ace_6900

I love Peyton as much as the next fan. But, lets look at this from a different prspective. If you keep PM and draft Luck what would players like Freeney, Saturday, Mathis, and Wayne think or any other vetern that is facing retirement in next 3 or 4 years. If we took Luck and kept Manning then it would be clear to everybody we are rebuilding not tryin g to win a Superbowl! If you were a vetern why would you want to stay somewhere that doe not want to win now if you on;ly have a couple years left? With that being said here is what i believe is the best for everyone involved.

First trade PM but only trade him to a team that he wants to go to that is interested of course {SF} A team that is a qb a3way from the SB. hERE IS A TWIST that i think would make PM happy{ after all if you are PM why would you want to go to a team that is giving up a couple #1 picks for you} you defer the #1 picks a couple years. Trade PM for the teams 2015 and 2016 picks by that time Luck will be done with his NFL learning curve and be on his way to stardom and we have extra #1s to build around him. With that being said i would also trade Freeney for what i could get for him. We would take a big cap hit for PM and DW this year but next year we would have so much cap room to continue to build around Luck and the following couple years we would have a couple extra #1s. Basically we would be a serious SB contender in 3 to 4 years for the following 10 yuears after that. The other option is to let PM play 1 year teach Luck show ev1 else PM is healthy and then do all i said here. Howeever we do it I wish PM the best and i am Colts fan.

If they want to leave let them.

We have no choice but to move forward! The worst thing this organization can do is assume manning will be back. IMO, there is more chance he won't play again.

You are over-thinking this.

If manning can play, you keep him and pay him. If there is a question, he either structures an incentive-based or friendly cap or you have to let him go.

Regardless of manning, you still gotta go QB for the future and possibly now.

The stars have aligned. The answer is so obvious that people can't believe it.

IMO

I love Peyton as much as the next fan. But, lets look at this from a different prspective. If you keep PM and draft Luck what would players like Freeney, Saturday, Mathis, and Wayne think or any other vetern that is facing retirement in next 3 or 4 years. If we took Luck and kept Manning then it would be clear to everybody we are rebuilding not tryin g to win a Superbowl! If you were a vetern why would you want to stay somewhere that doe not want to win now if you on;ly have a couple years left? With that being said here is what i believe is the best for everyone involved.

First trade PM but only trade him to a team that he wants to go to that is interested of course {SF} A team that is a qb a3way from the SB. hERE IS A TWIST that i think would make PM happy{ after all if you are PM why would you want to go to a team that is giving up a couple #1 picks for you} you defer the #1 picks a couple years. Trade PM for the teams 2015 and 2016 picks by that time Luck will be done with his NFL learning curve and be on his way to stardom and we have extra #1s to build around him. With that being said i would also trade Freeney for what i could get for him. We would take a big cap hit for PM and DW this year but next year we would have so much cap room to continue to build around Luck and the following couple years we would have a couple extra #1s. Basically we would be a serious SB contender in 3 to 4 years for the following 10 yuears after that. The other option is to let PM play 1 year teach Luck show ev1 else PM is healthy and then do all i said here. Howeever we do it I wish PM the best and i am Colts fan.

Drafting Luck #1 when we have SIX more rounds of draft picks (at/near the top of every round) does NOT make it "clear to everyone" that we are rebuilding. Lay off the crack pipe, man...what it would make "clear to everyone" is that we took the best player in the entire draft, at a position that we could use at back up and as our future franchise QB once Peyton retires.

By YOUR logic (or lack there of), drafting Jerry Hughes in the first round when we already had Mathis and Freeney would make it clear that we were rebuilding and not trying to win now....or when we drafted Reggie Wayne in the first when we had a healthy Marvin Harrison...or drafting Donald Brown in the first when we had Addai...etc

The point being, you take the best player available, especially when it fills a need or a need in the near future.

Drafting Luck #1 when we have SIX more rounds of draft picks (at/near the top of every round) does NOT make it "clear to everyone" that we are rebuilding. Lay off the crack pipe, man...what it would make "clear to everyone" is that we took the best player in the entire draft, at a position that we could use at back up and as our future franchise QB once Peyton retires.

By YOUR logic (or lack there of), drafting Jerry Hughes in the first round when we already had Mathis and Freeney would make it clear that we were rebuilding and not trying to win now....or when we drafted Reggie Wayne in the first when we had a healthy Marvin Harrison...or drafting Donald Brown in the first when we had Addai...etc

The point being, you take the best player available, especially when it fills a need or a need in the near future.

not when you can trade that pick for 3 more first rounders and a second and seriously rebuild for PMs last run. My point is you got to go all in with PM or go all in with Luck having both is foolish.

not when you can trade that pick for 3 more first rounders and a second and seriously rebuild for PMs last run. My point is you got to go all in with PM or go all in with Luck having both is foolish.

The problem is , his "last run" could last a year, two, three, OR never get started.

And the 3 "1sr rounders" would be mid or late round.

I'll take a stud QB over 3 "other" positions. Didn't this year teach us anything?

Well first off these guys arent kids, they know its a business and that the NFL stands for Not For Long.... second no decision has been made yet, all signs point to the colts keeping manning and still drafting Luck or RGIII...

Personally if i was a veteran on the colts i would understand that this is business and your doing whats best for the franchise in the long run.

The problem is , his "last run" could last a year, two, three, OR never get started.

I'll take a stud QB over 3 "other" positions. Didn't this year teach us anything?

that is why i think it is in the COLTS best intrest to trade PM and go with Luck. My proposition is a win win situation for the Colts AAND pm. He wins another SB or 2 and we build with Luck to win a couple after he retires and hopefully he will come back and be OC nad eventually HC for us.

that is why i think it is in the COLTS best intrest to trade PM and go with Luck. My proposition is a win win situation for the Colts AAND pm. He wins another SB or 2 and we build with Luck to win a couple after he retires and hopefully he will come back and be OC nad eventually HC for us.

Manning's 28 Million Option bonus due March 8th

2012 NFL League Year starts March 13th

Players can negoiate and sign one contract each league year.

PEYTON MANNING WILL NOT BE TRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"FIREJIMCALDWELL" is gonna have a coronary!

You are aware that, because of the timing of events and contract details, we CAN'T TRADE MANNING.

i am mixed on this in one hand i do not want him traded but it is possible and if you do not think there is that possibility you should take off your blinders.

By all means explain how it is done?

there are a couple ways the more likely we trade PM to wherever he wants to go with the agreement from PM to restructure his contract, which he will do cause he wants to go back to the SB. Now you will say he can just get cut and sign with who he wants without the other team giving up anything but i would argue the Colts will not just cut him and get nothing in return. THEY keep him for a couple years and let Luck force him to retire like Favre. I f you were Pm wouldn't you rather restructure and get traded and retire when you want to instead of getting forced out and too old to go anywhere else?

there are a couple ways the more likely we trade PM to wherever he wants to go with the agreement from PM to restructure his contract, which he will do cause he wants to go back to the SB. Now you will say he can just get cut and sign with who he wants without the other team giving up anything but i would argue the Colts will not just cut him and get nothing in return. THEY keep him for a couple years and let Luck force him to retire like Favre. I f you were Pm wouldn't you rather restructure and get traded and retire when you want to instead of getting forced out and too old to go anywhere else?

Irsay has said himself peyton will not be traded... so that should pretty much end the trading talk.

Guess what the flaw in that is? He can't restructure his contract until the new league year.

Why is that a flaw? He's due the 28 million dollar option bonus before the new league year starts.

What problem would that create? A 38,400,000 dead cap hit due to the accelerated bonus dollars into the 2012 cap. So unless the team is comfortable enough to use roughly 31% of their allotted salary cap on a player that is no longer on the team(hint... they won't be), then there is a 0.0% chance he is traded.

I'll give you some props. At least you understand there would be no logical reason for Manning to restructure even if he could because if they don't pick up the option bonus he's a free agent.

Any other wonderful fiction based trade ideas?

That's beside the fact :)

Irsay will say anything we all know that especially when it will up the other teams offwers with that said look at other post if we trade him before march 13th it is only a 10.4 million cap hit, and as i said earlier we wait a year when that cap hit is completely gone and use it top build for Luck. with all that being said PM is my favorite player ever i do not want him to go i want to see the records broken in blue but if he can win another SB or 2 and we gegt a QB that can win us a couple later we both win and pm and the colts get what they want.

Irsay will say anything we all know that especially when it will up the other teams offwers with that said look at other post if we trade him before march 13th it is only a 10.4 million cap hit, and as i said earlier we wait a year when that cap hit is completely gone and use it top build for Luck. with all that being said PM is my favorite player ever i do not want him to go i want to see the records broken in blue but if he can win another SB or 2 and we gegt a QB that can win us a couple later we both win and pm and the colts get what they want.

Again, he cannot be traded before March 13th...Nobody can be traded before March 13th... Calvin Johnson for Curtis Painter straight up, even if the Lions GM had an epic failure that made Millen look like GM of the year.

The only way his cap hit is 10.4 for 2012 is if a ) he is released b ) if he retires which in either case means his option bonus is not picked up.

There are rules and limits and regulations in place that prevent some things from happening.

It's not about wearing blinders... It's about understanding what can and can't happen.

Interesting question.

I do think it's important to keep a few things in mind.

1. Most of those other "older" players are younger than Peyton Manning so it's not a stretch to think that some could play longer than Peyton does so I doubt they want the team to just fall apart when Peyton Manning retires.

2. If we trade the pick most of those picks we get for it aren't going to come in this draft. let's say we get three first rounders and two second rounders for it which would be a great deal. Well we would be giving up our first rounder this year and getting their's back in excange and maybe their second rounder in this draft so probably at most a net of one extra pick in this draft. So it's going to take a few years for the payoff of the trade to pay off and really those players would end up in close to the same boat as they are in now in that they wouldn't have the help till a couple of years down the road.

I disagree with the idea that if we take Luck and keep Manning that it's a clear sign we are rebuilding. In fact keeping Manning is probably going to cause us to keep some of the other vets on the roster. We would be in a rebuilding mood if we draft Luck and we release Manning. At that point I think we will relase many of the other vets on the roster or opt not to bring back some free agents we might explore if we keep Manning. Frankly if we keep Manning it's a pretty clear sign they want to win now or they would release the biggest sallary cap hit we are going to have and will stand in the way of us building for the future.

Andrew Luck is one draft pick. We are going to have six more picks in this draft so we can restock some other poistions in this draft that will probably have a quicker impact than Luck will if Manning comes back. So there I think if we do keep Manning and draft Luck you can still try to win now. That's the idea, get this team back to the playoffs and I don't think Jim Irsay wasnts to wait three to four years to do it regardless of who the QB is going forward.

I will say this it might take more than one year to turn us back into a Super Bowl contending team regardless of what we do with Manning and Luck. Even if we trade the pick and get another player that player is still going to be a rookie and rookies aren't as good as they are going to be day one. Most require a season or two to grow (not to say they can't make an impact their rookie year). I look at next season kinda like I did the 2002 season with Dungy. Where he got us back in the playoffs but we weren't really a Super Bowl contendng team till 2003.

Unless Peyton pushes back his date of his bonus we can't trade him. The cap hit is just crazy even if we don't cash in the picks right away. You would be paying close to $40 million to a QB who wont be here anymore when you could just pay 28 million and at least have him. Nothing about trading him unless he pushes the bonus back makes sense. Also there are some reports he can't push his bonus date back per the CBA. So if he can't we pretty much have two choices, pay him and play him or release him and get nothing for him. Also, it's been reported Jim Irsay has said he will not trade Peyton Manning. I know Irsay disputed a lot of things said last wek but that is one thing he has not disputed which tends to tell me that part is true. Frankly, I think if Peyton is healthy he's here next year with Andrew Luck. I get the idea that's what Jim Irsay wants and since he owns the team that's probably what he's going to get unless Luck tries to force a trade.

Last thing, and I understand there are a lot of people who love Peyton Manning here but if you are looking at this from the Colts point of view this not about making Peyton Manning happy or doing what is "right" for him. It's about doing what is right for them and if they feel that is keeping Peyton Manning and drafting Andrew Luck that is what they are going to do.

Again, he cannot be traded before March 13th...Nobody can be traded before March 13th... Calvin Johnson for Curtis Painter straight up, even if the Lions GM had an epic failure that made Millen look like GM of the year.

The only way his cap hit is 10.4 for 2012 is if a ) he is released b ) if he retires which in either case means his option bonus is not picked up.

There are rules and limits and regulations in place that prevent some things from happening.

It's not about wearing blinders... It's about understanding what can and can't happen.

You know you have tried to explain this same thing many times and OP just don't read what your posting or don't understand it. I'm not that savy on contracts or cap but I think even I have understood what you have said and maybe it's because I have read it many many times. Keep trying and maybe others will understand it someday. :highfive:

Having both is NOT foolish. We need a good back up QB and we also need our future franchize QB...Luck could be both. And the fact that we have the #1 pick makes it a luxury that most every team would love to have. NOT picking Luck would be foolish, in my opinion.

And just to set a few things straight:

1) Peyton can NOT be traded. The option bonus and start of the new league year make it impossible to redo his contract/deadline before the new league year starts and the option bonus date comes before then. We will NOT pay the $28million bonus just to release him a few days later.

2) Peyton would NOT play for the Redskins...or Cowboys or Eagles...he will NOT play in the same division as his younger brother. He has stated MULTIPLE times that he really hates to play Eli's team, and that its a huge emotional strain on the entire family.

3) If Peyton is healthy he will NOT be released or traded, PERIOD

4) Everyone of the "trade Luck" people need to find something new to fantasize about. We wont trade the pick, and we will NOT get both of Cleveland's first rounders this season. Give it a rest already, it wont happen. Im sure its fun to think up scenario's in your little fantasy world about ways we can get all of the top players in this year's draft, but it's not going to happen.

5) We will NOT release Gary Brackett...we would have to eat most of his deal if we cut him, so it wouldnt really benefit us in any way, especially not against the salary cap.

6) Manning's name is spelled with an 'E', not an 'A'...PEYTON, NOT PAYTON

7) Dallas Clark's name has no 'E" at the end...it is NOT "Clarke"

8) While it IS possible that Ben Ijalana plays guard at some point in time, just because you want Kalil on the team does NOT mean that Ijalana would make a great guard. It remains to be seen, He's a OT not a OG...we would be better drafting a OG later in the draft than spending our top pick on another OT (Kalil)

*Just a few of the things that get old reading about on this board.

You know you have tried to explain this same thing many times and OP just don't read what your posting or don't understand it. I'm not that savy on contracts or cap but I think even I have understood what you have said and maybe it's because I have read it many many times. Keep trying and maybe others will understand it someday. :highfive:

ty not trying to create a controversy just saying what i think is best and get a little feedback ty again

If we traded Luck to the :browns: we would get the 4th overall pick and that's not near the middle or the end of the 1st round and then even next year even with the Luck they would still have one of the worst records. The :falcons: pick will be a late one but thats the only one. This would put is in a great positio n to rebuild and challenge for a SB

He can still be traded if the Colts pick up on the option. Although it would mean wasting 28m, It is a possibility.

ty not trying to create a controversy just saying what i think is best and get a little feedback ty again

I don't believe anyone thinks you are trying to create controversy but what you are doing is failing to grasp what has been laid out several times. Manning cannot/will not be traded. His bonus due date, the accelerated cap hit it creates, and the start of the new league year makes it impossible for that to happen.

Manning will be on the Colts in 2012 or he will be released. Those are the possibilties.

Guess what the flaw in that is? He can't restructure his contract until the new league year.

Why is that a flaw? He's due the 28 million dollar option bonus before the new league year starts.

What problem would that create? A 38,400,000 dead cap hit due to the accelerated bonus dollars into the 2012 cap. So unless the team is comfortable enough to use roughly 31% of their allotted salary cap on a player that is no longer on the team(hint... they won't be), then there is a 0.0% chance he is traded.

I'll give you some props. At least you understand there would be no logical reason for Manning to restructure even if he could because if they don't pick up the option bonus he's a free agent.

Any other wonderful fiction based trade ideas?

Just my 2 cents.

When i read the 1st post i realized not everyone was up to speed on what it would take from PM to be traded. Then this post pretty much covered it.

The Colts CAN'T just trade PM. NO team in their right mind would trade for him knowing the Colts would have to cut him anyway before 3/8 deadline to save a huge cap hit. It's all really up to PM (and Irsay) on what he wants to do. If PM really wants to stay, he will work out a deal w/Irsay. If he wants to go to a better situation to finish his career, I think Irsay would honor that too and work out something that will still benefit the Colts. But a staight-up trade will NOT happen. PM is in cat-bird seat.

He can still be traded if the Colts pick up on the option. Although it would mean wasting 28m, It is a possibility.

If it were as simple as only wasting 28 mil, I could see it happening since the amount of money Irsay has made and the increased value of the franchise makes 28 million look like pocket change. He wouldn't miss it, and could pay it as 13 year thank you note.

The salary cap implications are why Manning will not be traded.

If they want to leave let them.

We have no choice but to move forward! The worst thing this organization can do is assume manning will be back. IMO, there is more chance he won't play again.

You are over-thinking this.

If manning can play, you keep him and pay him. If there is a question, he either structures an incentive-based or friendly cap or you have to let him go.

Regardless of manning, you still gotta go QB for the future and possibly now.

The stars have aligned. The answer is so obvious that people can't believe it.

IMO

I'm with you on this. Personally I think PM restructures for maybe 2 more seasons. He has never been selfish with contracts in the past.

No if we trade him after we pick up the option it means we take something close to a $40 million cap hit if we trade him. So yes in theory he could be traded but if he is after we pick up the option the new GM needs to be fired and Jim Irsay needs to be checked to see if he's still sain.

Think about it the idea of moving Peyton is because the Colts can't afford to tie up 50 million of the cap in one poistion. If we trade Manning after the option deadline we would be tieing up $40 million in a player who isn't here anymore and we would still have to pay Luck on top of that. That's why people are saying we can't trade Peyton Manning unless he pushes back his option date which according to some reports may not be possiable to do at all.

No if we trade him after we pick up the option it means we take something close to a $40 million cap hit if we trade him. So yes in theory he could be traded but if he is after we pick up the option the new GM needs to be fired and Jim Irsay needs to be checked to see if he's still sain.

Think about it the idea of moving Peyton is because the Colts can't afford to tie up 50 million of the cap in one poistion. If we trade Manning after the option deadline we would be tieing up $40 million in a player who isn't here anymore and we would still have to pay Luck on top of that. That's why people are saying we can't trade Peyton Manning unless he pushes back his option date which according to some reports may not be possiable to do at all.

It is still a possibility. Anything that can happen is a possibility. We CAN trade Manning, but we WON'T. Maybe Irsay wouldn't care about writing off 40m in a rebuilding year if it meant a few extra draft picks.

Ok I think if we are going to rebuild (which i don't want to because i want to keep PM) but if we are going to rebuild I think we should trade both our first pick and PM.

Doing it this way will give us several 1st rd picks for 2 or 3 years. we could draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round this year and we could keep Danny O.

the thing is with all of the extra early picks we will have we can create at great OL that will give us a balanced attack on O and a strong DL and CB's that can play more man coverage to help our D

we don't have to have the goat at the qb position, but we do need to have one that has some upside and we can find that in the draft or FA

It is still a possibility. Anything that can happen is a possibility. We CAN trade Manning, but we WON'T. Maybe Irsay wouldn't care about writing off 40m in a rebuilding year if it meant a few extra draft picks.

It's not writing off 40 million that's money that counts against the cap that prevents you from getting other people. So if they did trade him they would pretty much be paying Peyton Manning an extra $10 million to not be here than they would be paying him to be released or to just play here. A couple of draft picks is not worth $10 million dollar plus their contracts on top of that. It would also mean they would have $10 million less to spend on players to either bring in or resign. There is nothing about trading Peyton Manning after we pay him the bonus that makes sense.

Like I said they COULD trade him but it would be extremely foolish to do so because of the cap hit that comes from it. In fact if you read most threads around here where this has been explained many times most people say you COULD trade him, as I did in my first post, but because the of cap hit it's pretty much impossiable to do. That's why people say we can't trade Peyton Manning because that 40 million dollar cap hit is not something you can just write off. If the Colts are going to tie up that much money in Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck they are going to do it with them on the same roster and where they are getting a return on the money they are spending on them.

So yes we could trade Peyton Manning but that's like saying we could fire the new GM and bring back Polian tomorrow. There is zero chance it happens which leads people to say it wont happen which has been stated many times it wont happen because of the cap hit. It's very unrealistic to think the Colts can trade Peyton Manning unless his bonus date can be moved, which again has been called into question if they can even do that if they want to, which is why people have said it's not going to happen and treat it as it's not possiable.

It's not writing off 40 million that's money that counts against the cap that prevents you from getting other people. So if they did trade him they would pretty much be paying Peyton Manning an extra $10 million to not be here than they would be paying him to be released or to just play here. A couple of draft picks is not worth $10 million dollar plus their contracts on top of that. It would also mean they would have $10 million less to spend on players to either bring in or resign. There is nothing about trading Peyton Manning after we pay him the bonus that makes sense.

Like I said they COULD trade him but it would be extremely foolish to do so because of the cap hit that comes from it. In fact if you read most threads around here where this has been explained many times most people say you COULD trade him, as I did in my first post, but because the of cap hit it's pretty much impossiable to do. That's why people say we can't trade Peyton Manning because that 40 million dollar cap hit is not something you can just write off. If the Colts are going to tie up that much money in Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck they are going to do it with them on the same roster and where they are getting a return on the money they are spending on them.

So yes we could trade Peyton Manning but that's like saying we could fire the new GM and bring back Polian tomorrow. There is zero chance it happens which leads people to say it wont happen which has been stated many times it wont happen because of the cap hit. It's very unrealistic to think the Colts can trade Peyton Manning unless his bonus date can be moved, which again has been called into question if they can even do that if they want to, which is why people have said it's not going to happen and treat it as it's not possiable.

MY REPONSE TO THAT WOULD BE SO WHAT WE PAY THE 40 MILLION THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR LUCK WILL HAVE A YEAR OF NFL UNDER HIS BELT AND WE WILL HAVE A TON OF MONEY FOR FREE AGENCY. oops sorry for caps did not realize it was on and do not wannas retype lol,

I am not asking this to be a pain so please don't take it that way. Can you please explain why. I am asking more so we can try to explain it to people who think this is a real option.

They won't get it. It could be s-p-e-l-l-e-d out in the greatest detail and they wouldn't get it.

I've been trying to think of analogy, and the best I can come up with is that if you had 300.00 to your name, and your Power Bill was 295.00 and due today or its cut off, you could donate that 300 to charity, or give it to a friend, but you aren't going to.

Yeah we could pay Manning 28 million, and then move him and have a 38million dollar dead cap hit. Yes it could happen, but it won't happen. They are either going to get and comprehend why it won't happen, or they are going to continue to say trade to Washington, trade to Miami, etc, etc.

I feel there are 3 options.

Manning's option is picked up and he plays for the Colts.

Manning's option is declined and he's a free agent, he signs elsewhere to continue playing.

Manning retires.

They won't get it. It could be s-p-e-l-l-e-d out in the greatest detail and they wouldn't get it.

I've been trying to think of analogy, and the best I can come up with is that if you had 300.00 to your name, and your Power Bill was 295.00 and due today or its cut off, you could donate that 300 to charity, or give it to a friend, but you aren't going to.

Yeah we could pay Manning 28 million, and then move him and have a 38million dollar dead cap hit. Yes it could happen, but it won't happen. They are either going to get and comprehend why it won't happen, or they are going to continue to say trade to Washington, trade to Miami, etc, etc.

I feel there are 3 options.

Manning's option is picked up and he plays for the Colts.

Manning's option is declined and he's a free agent, he signs elsewhere to continue playing.

Manning retires.

evidently you know more than the talk show host on fox sports radio chris landry cause that is his exact scenario.

Landry is no body he was only the scout for the titans a few years ago so he probably does not know much with that being said he as i do not think PM will be traded but it is possible and would be the better business decision.

I've never heard of him or his show, and that is beside the point.

Yes Manning can be traded, but it comes at a cost that makes basically makes it impossible for the team to absorb the salary cap ramifications outside of releasing a lot of people just to try to create cap room to sign un-drafted free agents at the league minimum and you're looking at another 2-14 year.

The salary cap in 2012 will be around 121 million.

Quarterback

• Manning's dead cap hit would take up 38.4 of that. Which would leave around 82.6 for 54 players.
  • Kerry Collins will count 1.250 against the 2012 cap, you're down to 81.35
  • Curtis Painter if he's released and there is no reason he should ever touch a Colts uniform would count 22k and change against the cap. so you're down to 81.13. So you've tied 39.87 million in cap dollars for 3 quarterbacks not even on the team.
  • Andrew Luck's salary cap hit will be in the 4.2 range so you're down to 76.9
  • With Manning gone, we will need to sign a quarterback with a veteran presence to tutor Luck(this could come at a cap hit of 500k-1million),but let's be generous and go with the lower 500k figure and it's down to 76.4.
  • We would likely need a QB3, making the league minimum around 400k. So 76 million is left.
  • The Quarterback position will count more than 37% of the cap under this scenario.

We would then have approximately 76 to spread across the other 51 positions.

While it's possible, the Colts team we fielded this past year would be exponentially better than the team we would field in 2013, even if Luck is better than Painter.

So again, Peyton Manning will not be traded.