Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Coughlin withdraws name for HC of Philly

bababooey

Per multiple sources, TC withdrew his name for the Eagles head coach position.

Absolutely savage move by Tom. Keeps the Eagles hanging on until a bunch of other available coaches are hired by other NFL teams then tells them "no thanks". Even after everyone in NY admitting it was a personnel issue that they failed recently, with a pretty big injury bug to key players (JPP, Fells, Cruz, entire secondary), GM Jerry Reese kept his job in addition to every other coach and coordinator, including Ben McAdoo who was just promoted to HC today. Coughlin remembers the 28 pt 4th quarter in 08 and kick six and played Philly like a fiddle in one last move to screw them over. So Tom Coughlin. Still doing big things for Big Blue even after he's gone. So selfless. What a legend.

If he doesn't get an offer elsewhere in the NFL it's only because of his age. Guy has the energy to coach into his 80's. I would absolutely love to see him return to coaching but at the college level. Not your D1 Alabama/Michigan/Ohio State/Clemson sized programs but maybe Army or maybe just a D2 or D3 school in NY that gives him more time with his grandkids, less stress of dealing with the media and the expectations of coaching an NFL team. I know college kids may not be as disciplined as grown men in the NFL but most of his athletes wouldn't have professional aspirations at the non D1 level and are there to focus on their degree as opposed to the guys he coached before getting arrested off the field or acting like divas on it. His name would be all the recruiting material he needs to get Giants fans or football fans in general from the tri state area to want to play for him. Love TC and hope to see him on the sidelines soon.

That would be funny if he truly had no intention of joining the Eagles in the first place and just wanted to troll them. In fact, he might retire tomorrow… after he changes his mind about joining the Eagles, before he decides not to, again.

27 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

If this is indeed his last coaching gig do we think he makes it into the HOF?

3 Rings, some division championships. He's in. Although him and Eli are both one 99 yard Cruz TD catch away from just missing the playoffs every year since knocking the pats off the first time.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I know he has 2 rings. Super Bowl championships buys lots of off seasons.

But his team has failed to make the playoffs 4 consecutive seasons in a division that rivals the afc south in dysfunction despite having a pretty good qb.

Last season he started out like 0-6 or something. 

I wouldn't say the NFC East rivals the AFC South. In his 12 year tenure every team has won the division at least twice. He's had some pretty bad years but tough with an abnormally high amount of injuries too. This year alone was JPP, Cruz, Fells, and his secondary - pretty significant. If Collins catches that easy pick against the Pats they win the game, if Eli takes a sack instead of throws out of bounds they win in week 1 vs the Cowboys, if he overrules OBJ and kicks the FG against the Jets they win the game. Most of their losses this year were just because of one play. One year they lost the division/playoffs on the last play of the last game (see above) because the punter kicked it straight to desean jackson who returned it for a TD. If Plaxico doesn't shoot himself the Giants could go back to the SB. A lot of what if's but he was coach for 3 of the luckiest catches of all time and is part of the Giants legacy forever.

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

By extension does that mean Eli should also get in?

When he's done he will be in the tops for most statistical categories (as long as he has OBJ and McAdoo). At least two SB MVP's. Probably will beat Peyton for most consecutive starts. His many years of no-shows in the playoffs hurts but the SB MVP's and stats when all is said and done will be enough to get him in.

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

When he's done he will be in the tops for most statistical categories (as long as he has OBJ and McAdoo). At least two SB MVP's. Probably will beat Peyton for most consecutive starts. His many years of no-shows in the playoffs hurts but the SB MVP's and stats when all is said and done will be enough to get him in.

I don't disagree with the above yet oddly when his name comes up people scoff at the idea of him being in the Hall.

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I don't disagree with the above yet oddly when his name comes up people scoff at the idea of him being in the Hall.

I can see why they do, like I said he led the league in INTs one year and he's missed the playoffs a ton. It's true that NYG invent ways to lose. When all is said and done he still has more stats and SB MVP's than most of his time. You win and lose as a team so his personal accolades will easily be enough.