Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets Reporter: Darrelle Revis vs. Odell Beckham isn’t a fair fight as Jets CB just can’t shut down the top WRs anymore

amfootball

Jets play the Giants on Sunday in the show down of NY teams. This article came out from Jets beat reporter Manish Mehta on Revis' decline this year. He has fallen off so rapidly that Mehta believes this match up with Beckham will be ugly of the Jets have Revis on him in man coverage with no help. A few snippets:

Nobody this great deserves to suffer the indignity of being marginalized by air quotes, but here’s the unvarnished truth: Revis Island should be permanently shut down.

Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins embarrassed Darrelle Revis two weeks ago. Odell Beckham Jr., will do the same if the Jets cornerback is cleared to play this weekend after suffering a concussion in Houston.

Revis will find a permanent place in Canton one day, but this won’t be a fair fight. Beckham will threaten Flipper Anderson’s 26-year-old single-game receiving record (336 yards) if the Jets are foolish enough to give him the true Revis Island treatment.

The Jets obviously believed that the nine-year veteran had at least 2-3 years of top-end play left when they guaranteed him $39 million as part of a five-year, $70 million deal, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. The 30-year-old has been visibly slower this year. His decline was inevitable, but it’s surprising that his skills appear to be eroding at this rate.

I don't believe this at all.  I don't think Beckham will do much against him, I think it probably more has to do with the Jets sorry offense going three and out a lot.  Defense is probably tired as well as Revis.  I watched Malcolm Butler play a pretty good game against Beckham other than that one long play he had.  Surely D. Revis can play with him!  They mention D. Hopkins, but D. Hopkins is playing on another level right now.  He's one of the best in the game at this moment.  You're not going to shut everybody down all the time.   I don't think Beckham is going to show out on Revis.  It'll probably be a quiet day for Beckham I think.

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't believe this at all.  I don't think Beckham will do much against him, I think it probably more has to do with the Jets sorry offense going three and out a lot.  Defense is probably tired as well as Revis.  I watched Malcolm Butler play a pretty good game against Beckham other than that one long play he had.  Surely D. Revis can play with him!  They mention D. Hopkins, but D. Hopkins is playing on another level right now.  He's one of the best in the game at this moment.  You're not going to shut everybody down all the time.   I don't think Beckham is going to show out on Revis.  It'll probably be a quiet day for Beckham I think.

It could be moot if Revis is not allowed to play from the concussion. He looks heavier to me this year and for sure slower. He has had issues turning his hips. I think it could be a case of him being a contented player with his ring and big pay day. Also having Fitz as your QB probably does not do a lot to inspire him either.

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think he's nicked up to go along with the concussion.  I think he'll snap out of it.

He is only 30. The top CBs have played well into their 30's. i.e. Law, Bailey, Woodson. The only thing with Revis is he has always been all about the money so maybe he is just playing out the string to finish his career or he could be like Moss and lose it fast. Hard to tell but need to give him the rest of this season and next to see if he can get back to form or if the decline/injuries will progress.

I don't even think it will take that long to evaluate.  I think he'll show his worth this weekend.  I'm sure he's reading the newspaper laughing at these people writing this stuff about him.  He won't allow himself to just be called out like that I think.  We'll see this weekend I'm certain!

For some reason, there aren't any elite shutdown corners this year like there have been in previous years.  All of the big name CBs, including Vontae, Revis, Sherman, Peterson, and Haden, have had games where they've looked really beatable.  I'm not sure if they've all battled injuries or what's going on, but I haven't seen anything this year like we have in previous years where a guy like Revis or Vontae will completely eliminate his WR for 16 games.

No one was saying this last year when he was wearing a Patriots uniform. 

I will never forget in 2013 when Revis was in Tampa Bay, and he got burned down by Robert Meachem of all receivers on deep balls vs the Saints. ROBERT MEACHEM. Never was a top receiver, but he owned Revis that day, it was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

No one was saying this last year when he was wearing a Patriots uniform. 

I will never forget in 2013 when Revis was in Tampa Bay, and he got burned down by Robert Meachem of all receivers on deep balls vs the Saints. ROBERT MEACHEM. Never was a top receiver, but he owned Revis that day, it was amazing. 

He did not meet expectations either though in New England. He was lousy the first four games when Bill had him in zone because Browner was on suspension and then he was burned by Cobb in GB on a TD right before the half that swung momentum. His worst game of his career came in the post-season vs the Ravens and then he was picked by a ref in the SB on the TD that allowed the Hawks to go up 10. I would say he was a solid corner last year but you could already see signs of decline. But I for sure wanted the Pats to resign him not knowing they type of CB play we would get this year out of Butler and Ryan but I was NOT disappointed that they did not sign him to the ridiculous deal NY gave him. The Jets are actually paying him MORE now than when he was in his prime which is just stunning. There was a lot of scuttle in the off-season that Bill felt he only had one elite year left which is why he did not make him an offer anything close to the Jets. It looks like the one year might have been an over shoot at this point. I guess we will see. I still think he has some great football left but I do question his desire at this point given he has his ring and his big pay day and a pretty lousy team around him.

Meh,  I was under the impression that he was doing well before he had to go against Nuk who has proven to be one of the best receivers in the NFL this season. Even the best corners can have a bad game. I think he still has plenty of football left to play.

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

For some reason, there aren't any elite shutdown corners this year like there have been in previous years.  All of the big name CBs, including Vontae, Revis, Sherman, Peterson, and Haden, have had games where they've looked really beatable.  I'm not sure if they've all battled injuries or what's going on, but I haven't seen anything this year like we have in previous years where a guy like Revis or Vontae will completely eliminate his WR for 16 games.

That is a good observation. Vikings fans have noted that Xavier Rhodes seemed to have taken a small step back this year. In 2014 he seemed to be on his way to developing into a top shutdown CB. He has not played as well this year. However, last week he limited Julio Jones to less 20 yards on 2 catches (when Rhodes was on him). Jones had 56 yds total for the game.

As for Revis, the reporter Manish Mehta is known for writing articles to get a reaction out of the players and the fans.  He is like what Brad Wells was To Colts fans. I don't take what he writes seriously. 

11 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

Meh,  I was under the impression that he was doing well before he had to go against Nuk who has proven to be one of the best receivers in the NFL this season. Even the best corners can have a bad game. I think he still has plenty of football left to play.

He has had several poor games by his standards this year. Watkins had a good night verse him too. As Mehta notes in his article, he has been beat by receivers a lot this year but often the QB has missed the throw. That is what Mehta is pointing out is the separation the receivers are getting this season. You are right. Anyone can have one bad game but Revis has been more of a trend especially the last few weeks. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he looks heavier to me and unable to turn his hips. He could very well be dealing with an injury too. I have a tough time believing he is done at age 30 when top CBs like him play well into their 30's but I do think it is something to watch for the rest of this season and next year.

10 hours ago, amfootball said:

He has had several poor games by his standards this year. Watkins had a good night verse him too. As Mehta notes in his article, he has been beat by receivers a lot this year but often the QB has missed the throw. That is what Mehta is pointing out is the separation the receivers are getting this season. You are right. Anyone can have one bad game but Revis has been more of a trend especially the last few weeks. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he looks heavier to me and unable to turn his hips. He could very well be dealing with an injury too. I have a tough time believing he is done at age 30 when top CBs like him play well into their 30's but I do think it is something to watch for the rest of this season and next year.

Watkins had three catches for 14 yards and no touchdowns against the Jets. That's not a good night. I admit I don't watch the Jets so I don't see much of Revis playing, but until the Texans game I hadn't heard anything bad about him this year. That Jets defense has been a force to be reckoned with this season, and Revis is a big part of that. I guess we will see if it was an anomaly or not as he continues to face off with the top receivers for the rest of the season.

10 hours ago, amfootball said:

Double post. Still getting used to this new format lol.

41 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Watkins had three catches for 14 yards and no touchdowns against the Jets. That's not a good night. I admit I don't watch the Jets so I don't see much of Revis playing, but until the Texans game I hadn't heard anything bad about him this year. That Jets defense has been a force to be reckoned with this season, and Revis is a big part of that. I guess we will see if it was an anomaly or not as he continues to face off with the top receivers for the rest of the season.

He got schooled by Watkins on the third down play that iced the game for the Bills. As Mehta said, you are seeing more separation this year which I have seen but not necessarily more completions or TDs although Hopkins torched him. It is not far fetched to think Beckham would do the same.