Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The More Things Change.....

JoKeR

The more the stay the same?

Now that the Polians are gone and Caldwell on the hot seat, how will the team carry itself? We're used to the Colts running the team a certain way. They usually draft high character players, don't like to pay high salaries for certain positions, cover2 with a emphasis on DEs, west coast offense...

Basically how much of the team culture will stay the same?

"Usually draft high character players"........How is that any different than any other team?

"Dont like to pay high salaries for certain positions".......No NFL teams do, this will not change.

"Cover 2"....Please, please, please, be gone

"Emphasis on DE's".....not sure how that WAS the case?

"West Coast Off".....not even close, we have an offensive system, Its called #18. I'd be all for a WCO, maybe then our backup QBs could have won a little bit.

The more the stay the same?

Now that the Polians are gone and Caldwell on the hot seat, how will the team carry itself? We're used to the Colts running the team a certain way. They usually draft high character players, don't like to pay high salaries for certain positions, cover2 with a emphasis on DEs, west coast offense...

Basically how much of the team culture will stay the same?

I don't expect any change in the desire for character guys but hopefully we shoot for more balance offensively and roster wide in how salary cap dollars are spread out. What form that takes is a wide open question with Polian out and presumably a new coaching staff.

The rookie salary cap should definitely help going forward.

Maybe the new regime won't overpay for our own overrated, injury prone players.

Maybe they'll learn from Polian's mistake and not build a team that lives or dies on the arm of one man.

Maybe they will have a better track record of late first round draft picks.

Maybe they won't stubbornly stick to the defensive scheme we employ if it becomes apparent it's not working.

"Usually draft high character players"........How is that any different than any other team?

I was talking to my girlfriend about this, and complaining to friends about this all year long. When in this league has High Character scored any touchdowns, or got any sacks. I've seen the colts pass on a lot of talent because the liked "The cut of that guys Jib" rather his outright ability.

When we started drafting guys like Anthony Gonzoles who Started like 1 year, Kelvin Hayden who Played CB 1 year in his whole carrer, Joseph Addai, a combo back and Donald Brown after we already drafter the faster, and more agile Addai, i was like, man we are in trouble.

And to top it off, with all the depth problems we have...we let go of a cheaply attained Tommy Harris all the players seemed to like.

Is the Morman football (i dont mean that in an offensive way) or is this get you face in the mud football?

Maybe the new regime won't overpay for our own overrated, injury prone players.

Maybe they'll learn from Polian's mistake and not build a team that lives or dies on the arm of one man.

Maybe they will have a better track record of late first round draft picks.

Maybe they won't stubbornly stick to the defensive scheme we employ if it becomes apparent it's not working.

There you go!

"Dont like to pay high salaries for certain positions".......No NFL teams do, this will not change.

"Cover 2"....Please, please, please, be gone

"Emphasis on DE's".....not sure how that WAS the case?

"West Coast Off".....not even close, we have an offensive system, Its called #18. I'd be all for a WCO, maybe then our backup QBs could have won a little bit.

As far as " not paying high salaries for certain positions " LBers, with the exception of Bracket, usually just get replaced when their contract is up because the Colts don't want to pay, then other teams pay a high price(Session). So yeah other teams are different in that regard.

And some teams seem more concerned with having high character players more then others. It seems obvious to me that teams value character more than others.

I was talking to my girlfriend about this, and complaining to friends about this all year long. When in this league has High Character scored any touchdowns, or got any sacks. I've seen the colts pass on a lot of talent because the liked "The cut of that guys Jib" rather his outright ability.

When we started drafting guys like Anthony Gonzoles who Started like 1 year, Kelvin Hayden who Played CB 1 year in his whole carrer, Joseph Addai, a combo back and Donald Brown after we already drafter the faster, and more agile Addai, i was like, man we are in trouble.

And to top it off, with all the depth problems we have...we let go of a cheaply attained Tommy Harris all the players seemed to like.

Is the Morman football (i dont mean that in an offensive way) or is this get you face in the mud football?

Me and a friend have figured out that when the world comes to an end God will take the colts as his #1 pick for these reasons. That is their plan.