Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Akiem Hicks traded to Pats for Hoomanawanui

backshoulderfade

For how much BB has a reputation for being a "genius", the Pats whiff on draft choices as much as almost anybody. Its part of the reality of usually having a low pick.

True. He has his misses as do all GMs but not sure if you saw this last week from Mike DiRocco of ESPN, http://www.nepatriotslife.com/2015/09/the-jaguars-basically-gave-patriots.html

In a nutshell, back in 2009 Jacksonville wanted to trade up and select cornerback Derek Cox and did so by giving New England their second-round pick in 2010 and seventh-round pick in 2009 for their third rounder. Cox never really lived up to the elite-corner hype for the Jags only playing 4 seasons.

Who were the two players the Patriots selected with the Jaguars picks you ask?  In the seventh round of the 2009 draft, New England selected a quarterback out of Kent State by the name of Julien Edelman. The next year, New England traded the Jags second round pick and their sixth-rounder to Oakland for the Raiders second-round pick. They player they chose: Rob Gronkowski tight end out of Arizona. 

This has to be one of the most lopsided trade in NFL history and underscores Bill's pedigree to get the right guys more often than not.

True. He has his misses as do all GMs but not sure if you saw this last week from Mike DiRocco of ESPN, http://www.nepatriotslife.com/2015/09/the-jaguars-basically-gave-patriots.html

In a nutshell, back in 2009 Jacksonville wanted to trade up and select cornerback Derek Cox and did so by giving New England their second-round pick in 2010 and seventh-round pick in 2009 for their third rounder. Cox never really lived up to the elite-corner hype for the Jags only playing 4 seasons.

Who were the two players the Patriots selected with the Jaguars picks you ask?  In the seventh round of the 2009 draft, New England selected a quarterback out of Kent State by the name of Julien Edelman. The next year, New England traded the Jags second round pick and their sixth-rounder to Oakland for the Raiders second-round pick. They player they chose: Rob Gronkowski tight end out of Arizona. 

This has to be one of the most lopsided trade in NFL history and underscores Bill's pedigree to get the right guys more often than not.

Yeah, I don't claim to follow many of the Pats picks. I know they have had poor results from their high WR picks in the past an some of their LBs/DBs. I just remember many of the analysts comments on BB trading down a lot, mentioning in jest that maybe if the Pats have a lot of picks, some will have a better chance of sticking around.

I was not referring to these two...just saying their not doing anything while O-line is still lousy at protecting #12...meanwhile the Pats are good but they keep trying to improve that team...especially on defense where they need to improve...all Iʻm saying is they know #12 is slightly injured do something to make that O-line better...or their wonʻt be a #12 to finish the season

And how is it you know grigson. Is doing nothing? It takes 2 to dance you know ;)

Yeah, I don't claim to follow many of the Pats picks. I know they have had poor results from their high WR picks in the past an some of their LBs/DBs. I just remember many of the analysts comments on BB trading down a lot, mentioning in jest that maybe if the Pats have a lot of picks, some will have a better chance of sticking around.

Yes, they have not drafted well at the WR or CB positions under Bill but solid at drafting both O and D lines, LBs, QBs, and TEs. Bill does tend to do a lot of trades to stock pile draft picks as he has said in the past that the more picks you have the better the chances that you are going to get quality players. In other words, he plans for his mistakes. Last year the Pats had the second most draft picks of any team at 11. He will have to again work his magic this year without the number 1.

Akiem Hicks is a very good interior DL if he is coached up right. Man, the Patriots are realizing their secondary is not as good, so they are just bolstering their front seven because they know it will be necessary to have fresh bodies in the rotation to keep elite O scores down come playoff time.

This is the sentiment that I am thinking, keep the Dline fresh.  Also, with more linemen one can push Niko back to LB giving us effectively five solid LBs (Collins, Niko, Mayo, Hightower and Bostic). 

I like out secondary more than most, but they are young and we do not have a strong corner at the #2 spot, but if we are solid elsewhere we can make up for that spot not being the strongest.

Not to mention he has 2 jobs as HC and GM...and doing it a lot better than every other team with 2 heads 

Untrue. Hick's primary strength IS stopping the run. Especially as an inside DT. He seems ineffective on the outside.

Hicks was a big part of the Saints 2013 defensive unit. He is great at stopping the run, and in 2013 they used him to rush the quarterback alongside Jordan and Gallette. He can really shine when it comes to the blitz. 

Hooman is a solid TE. You got a pretty good player. Very good blocker and a decent catcher.

So you like Hicks. That is good to hear. What are his strengths?

Hicks can be a very effective player when there is a blitz. He should help the Pats stop the run in spots. I don't watch the Pats much at all, so I have no idea if they are a blitz heavy team, but if he is to be used on rushing the QB, he can be a big help pushing out for pressure so linebackers can rush in and get to the QB. 

The Saints look so foolish right now. They lost the Jimmy Graham trade as predictable, since Brees got injured, and the Center was not truly the problem with their offensive line. It was the right side, which has been weak ever since Jahri Evans left the team. To trade our most productive offensive player, for a Center that couldn't protect Russell Wilson, I knew the trade was a bad idea. I would have been OK if they got Larry Fitzgerald or some other actual weapon for Graham.

This TE might work out for us, but right now the Saints have egg all over their face since they pretended all summer that they weren't a team that depended on the TE, and now they do. The Saints receiving corps this year is the worst I have ever seen it for a Sean Payton coached team. I have no idea what made them think Brandon Cooks could be a #1 receiver, when he's so easy to be shut down. Not only did Graham have to go, but they also got rid of Kenny Stills, who was our only receiver that could catch a deep ball. 

If Seattle or New England is back in the SB this year, I hope they write Thank You cards to Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis, cause we're probably the only team in the league that would seriously help the two best teams in the league. 

Hicks can be a very effective player when there is a blitz. He should help the Pats stop the run in spots. I don't watch the Pats much at all, so I have no idea if they are a blitz heavy team, but if he is to be used on rushing the QB, he can be a big help pushing out for pressure so linebackers can rush in and get to the QB. 

The Saints look so foolish right now. They lost the Jimmy Graham trade as predictable, since Brees got injured, and the Center was not truly the problem with their offensive line. It was the right side, which has been weak ever since Jahri Evans left the team. To trade our most productive offensive player, for a Center that couldn't protect Russell Wilson, I knew the trade was a bad idea. I would have been OK if they got Larry Fitzgerald or some other actual weapon for Graham.

This TE might work out for us, but right now the Saints have egg all over their face since they pretended all summer that they weren't a team that depended on the TE, and now they do. The Saints receiving corps this year is the worst I have ever seen it for a Sean Payton coached team. I have no idea what made them think Brandon Cooks could be a #1 receiver, when he's so easy to be shut down. Not only did Graham have to go, but they also got rid of Kenny Stills, who was our only receiver that could catch a deep ball. 

If Seattle or New England is back in the SB this year, I hope they write Thank You cards to Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis, cause we're probably the only team in the league that would seriously help the two best teams in the league. 

Thanks for the info. That is really helpful. I am not sure how Bill will use him but he likes guys that are versatile so the fact that Hicks can rush and also stop the run is a plus. I would imagine he will be a run stuffer for us as we really need the help there.

Didn't the Saints also get a #1 pick in addition to Unger? That will help you next year. This appears to be a rebuild year of sorts kind of like what is going on in Chicago too. I still think Payton and Brees get things turned around. What is tough is that both Carolina and Atlanta are undefeated. I think your division may be the toughest in the NFC this year along with the West as a close second.