Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Again, Very Manning-Like

He is nfl resdy. He is extremely accurate on the run it's scary good. Last night running to his right he threw a laser about 30 yards right between the numbers. He has an arm he just doesn't get to show it much cause they have awful WR. Baylors slowest WR is faster then Stanford's fastest. Playing his first year would help a lot.

He is nfl resdy. He is extremely accurate on the run it's scary good. Last night running to his right he threw a laser about 30 yards right between the numbers. He has an arm he just doesn't get to show it much cause they have awful WR. Baylors slowest WR is faster then Stanford's fastest. Playing his first year would help a lot.

I highly doubt that Baylor's slowest receiver is faster than anybody on Stanford...

Somebody on ESPN must have said that..

He is NFL ready but he'd sit on a playoff team and that's what Indy will have with Manning...

His interview suggested he would not be overjoyed with sitting./

I highly doubt that Baylor's slowest receiver is faster than anybody on Stanford...

He is NFL ready but he'd sit on a playoff team and that's what Indy will have with Manning...

His interview suggested that he had just lost the last college football game that he will ever play in, and that he wasnt exactly in the mood to answer questions, but being a classy guy he did anyhow.

His interview suggested that he had just lost the last college football game that he will ever play in, and that he wasnt exactly in the mood to answer questions, but being a classy guy he did anyhow.

And his Stanford diploma (which he has already earned) suggests he's easily smart enough to know exactly what he'd be asked...win or lose..

..and he knows what he'll be asked every single day for the next 3 months..

He's not nearly as stupid as he looks....

Luck did not say (nor has he ever said that) he would be honored to back up Peyton Manning...which is what I hoped he'd say

And his Stanford diploma (which he has already earned) suggests he's easily smart enough to know exactly what he'd be asked...win or lose..

..and he knows what he'll be asked every single day for the next 3 months..

He's not nearly as stupid as he looks....

Luck did not say (nor has he ever said that) he would be honored to back up Peyton Manning...which is what I hoped he'd say

did i say anywhere that he was stupid? or looked stupid? or wasnt expecting those questions? NO, i did NOT...i said that he likely wasnt in the mood for them, after losing (to this date) the biggest (and last) college football game of his life.

did i say anywhere that he was stupid? or looked stupid? or wasnt expecting those questions? NO, i did NOT...i said that he likely wasnt in the mood for them, after losing (to this date) the biggest (and last) college football game of his life.

You're missing the point....I said he wasnt as stupid as he looks..(he has a dumb look, lots of us do)

That's not a comment on what you said at all....

Luck did not say he's be honored to play with Manning.

Or that he'd dreamed of playing on the same team with Manning.

Or that he was thrilled to learn from a family friend.

He could have said all those things...

He didnt..

That worries me

You're missing the point....I said he wasnt as stupid as he looks..(he has a dumb look, lots of us do)

He didnt..

That worries me

Luck played it right. He really can't comment on any one particular team and tip his hand. He should remain neutral and not alienate any team hoping to draft him. If he says he is very excited about coming to Indianapolis and play behind Manning, in essense, he's saying that this is where he would like to be to the other teams. Instead, he gave generic answers that still kept all of the teams interested.

Well....ya gotta admit....that neck beard does make him look like an 8th generation Appalachian inbred. :lol:

But you're right, he was in no mood for draft speculation after his kicker vomited that game away.

He didnt..

That worries me

I noticed that to. So he said it without saying it that he will go somewhere he will start. At least thats how I took it.

Who are you? Are u NFL scout or are you a fan like me. Because you really like to shut everyone's opinion down if it isn't about how great luck is. As Irsay said there won't be another peyton anytime soon, so I am trying to figure out how we are going to get back to 10 win seasons if he is no peyton. Please help me understand.

Who are you? Are u NFL scout or are you a fan like me. Because you really like to shut everyone's opinion down if it isn't about how great luck is. As Irsay said there won't be another peyton anytime soon, so I am trying to figure out how we are going to get back to 10 win seasons if he is no peyton. Please help me understand.

It doesn't take a Manning to have a 10 win season. Alex Smith has more than 10 wins this season.

If you are talking about having 10 winning seasons in a row, well we couldn't even do that with Manning moving forward as he may not play for another 10 seasons. If that's the case, then it would make sense to draft a successor that has shown in college all of the tangibles and intangibles to be a successful QB in the NFL.

It doesn't take a Manning to have a 10 win season. Alex Smith has more than 10 wins this season.

If you are talking about having 10 winning seasons in a row, well we couldn't even do that with Manning moving forward as he may not play for another 10 seasons. If that's the case, then it would make sense to draft a successor that has shown in college all of the tangibles and intangibles to be a successful QB in the NFL.

But can we get picks to solve our needs AND get Mannings successor...that's the question...

But can we get picks to solve our needs AND get Mannings successor...that's the question...

I agree, that's the real question. Is it better to draft Luck or trade the pick?

I can see both sides of the arguement. If we trade the pick we can definately shore up the defense and add extra O-line or wr starters or depth. It would make us a solid team. My fear with this approach would be that we would draft Manning's successor either in another draft, or in the later rounds. As we may see in this year's draft, there aren't many high quality DT's. Last yer and the year before there were highly touted DT's. Similarly, it may be possible that there are available quarterbacks in later drafts, but none as talented as Luck. When we need a QB, we may be in a down year, like this year for DT's. Furthermore, even if there were highly touted QB's in the upcoming drafts, we may not be in a position to draft the most talented QB available, like we are this year. If you are going to build a team, I would argue that you should start with the best QB available.

If you are suggesting that we trade the pick and draft RGIII, that's a whole other argument based on how you have him graded. I know that you are high on RGIII. I think he's very talented, but not the best fit for what we do.

I agree, that's the real question. Is it better to draft Luck or trade the pick?

I can see both sides of the arguement. If we trade the pick we can definately shore up the defense and add extra O-line or wr starters or depth. It would make us a solid team. My fear with this approach would be that we would draft Manning's successor either in another draft, or in the later rounds. As we may see in this year's draft, there aren't many high quality DT's. Last yer and the year before there were highly touted DT's. Similarly, it may be possible that there are available quarterbacks in later drafts, but none as talented as Luck. When we need a QB, we may be in a down year, like this year for DT's. Furthermore, even if there were highly touted QB's in the upcoming drafts, we may not be in a position to draft the most talented QB available, like we are this year. If you are going to build a team, I would argue that you should start with the best QB available.

If you are suggesting that we trade the pick and draft RGIII, that's a whole other argument based on how you have him graded. I know that you are high on RGIII. I think he's very talented, but not the best fit for what we do.

...That's what I'm suggesting .....Flash,.....

Even if RG III is the 3rd best NFL ready QB.....he may be the one most willing to sit behind Manning for 4 years..

I dont KNOW but the way Luck adresses the issue suggests to me that he has absolutely no enthusiam for coming to Indianapolis if Manning is still here..

..and not is NOT in Luck's best interest to replace Peyton Manning as a rookie from of of town..with an otherwise weak offense..

. I can almost guarantee you that will not go well.

///I think if we trade Luck to Cleveland for their top 2 picks (#4 $26 and #37) we can use the 4th pick on RG III (no one will take him before then) and the next three picks can be used on Offenseive line. cornerback, wide reciver...

Andrew Luck will find it MUCH easier to succeed Colt McCoy than he will Peyton manning...

Manning will get help in the O-line and WR in case we cant regain Reggie..

..and If Manning is reinjured.....here come the Heisman Trophy winner..world class athlete...off the bench to try to save the day...in a no-lose scenario..

UIf Manning is OK (and indications are he will be) RG III realizes he needs time as an apprentice and would embface going to 'Manning school' much more so than Luck appears to...

Plus..RG III has great speed..some say../..better than anyone else in the NFL..

In his 4 years waiting he can be used in certain packages near the goal line. He can be used to run back kicks.

You could even make him a slot receiver on gimmick plays..The Colts are a slow team and RG III is the fastest player we could find

I think a pick trade is best for ALL concerned...

Unless we get a Hershall Walker type trade, there is NO WAY we shouldnt take Luck.

I dont see anyone offering that.

Any pick is a risk. Luck is no exception...... But..... You have to roll the dice.

He is an intelligent, positive leader, he is mobile, he has a quick release, he is extremely accurate, he has the size,

He has a great grasp of a pro style offense.

Everything seems to fit.

He did have some average WRs..... I dont know their speed, but they didnt scare anyone.

Give him some time to throw, give him the deep weapon...... He will probably be that top level QB

That everyone is looking for.

I see Luck being the pick, and playing for 15 years

...That's what I'm suggesting .....Flash,.....

Even if RG III is the 3rd best NFL ready QB.....he may be the one most willing to sit behind Manning for 4 years..

I dont KNOW but the way Luck adresses the issue suggests to me that he has absolutely no enthusiam for coming to Indianapolis if Manning is still here..

..and not is NOT in Luck's best interest to replace Peyton Manning as a rookie from of of town..with an otherwise weak offense..

. I can almost guarantee you that will not go well.

///I think if we trade Luck to Cleveland for their top 2 picks (#4 $26 and #37) we can use the 4th pick on RG III (no one will take him before then) and the next three picks can be used on Offenseive line. cornerback, wide reciver...

Andrew Luck will find it MUCH easier to succeed Colt McCoy than he will Peyton manning...

Manning will get help in the O-line and WR in case we cant regain Reggie..

..and If Manning is reinjured.....here come the Heisman Trophy winner..world class athlete...off the bench to try to save the day...in a no-lose scenario..

UIf Manning is OK (and indications are he will be) RG III realizes he needs time as an apprentice and would embface going to 'Manning school' much more so than Luck appears to...

Plus..RG III has great speed..some say../..better than anyone else in the NFL..

In his 4 years waiting he can be used in certain packages near the goal line. He can be used to run back kicks.

You could even make him a slot receiver on gimmick plays..The Colts are a slow team and RG III is the fastest player we could find

I think a pick trade is best for ALL concerned...

I don't mean to be argumentative, but for the sake of discussion, lets start with this.

1. We do not know that RGIII will be any more willing to sit behind Manning than Luck would. That's an assumption and we cannot base business decisions on assumptions. The FO will have to find out for sure during interviews.

2. Regardless of who the QB is, it will be very tough to follow Manning. It would be just as hard for RGIII as it would be for Luck.

3. Andrew Luck will not find it easier to succeed in Cleveland as he will have no supporting cast, and the Browns would have given away their draft picks to obtain him, ensuring a dismal future.

4. If Manning is reinjured, regardless of if it's RGIII or Luck, we will go through growing pains. The Heisman trophy winner will not be here to dave the day.

5. RGIII has great speed. Our offense is based on timing, which negates his speed. The only speed that he will need is reading a defense and getting rid of the ball as fast as Peyton has been. He may be able to avoid the rush better than Manning, which is a credit to him.

6. I'm not big on gimmick plays, or having a QB play receiver, or return kicks. It's happened before, but that doesn't mean that we have to do it.

Unless we get a Hershall Walker type trade, there is NO WAY we shouldnt take Luck.

I dont see anyone offering that.

Any pick is a risk. Luck is no exception...... But..... You have to roll the dice.

He is an intelligent, positive leader, he is mobile, he has a quick release, he is extremely accurate, he has the size,

He has a great grasp of a pro style offense.

Everything seems to fit.

He did have some average WRs..... I dont know their speed, but they didnt scare anyone.

Give him some time to throw, give him the deep weapon...... He will probably be that top level QB

That everyone is looking for.

Give Luck som

I see Luck being the guy.

Deano..do you think Andrew wants to come to Indianapolis and sit behind or replace Peyton Manning?

Do you think he WANTS to be in either position...

I cant see the future, anything could happen

But, there is a reason that 99.9 percent of the paid draft "experts" are saying that we will take Luck

If you are the GM, do you want to be the guy that passed on Michael Jordan?

Who knows if he will be that good, but there are many scouts that tout him as one of the best in awhile.

You have to get that guy on your team.

I guess i have my personal doubts if Manning will be 100 percent.

He is 36 in March....... If manning were 28 you would have to pass

If u have watched Baylor and Stanford play then u know that Stanford doesn't have a quick WR and baylor is a fast team all around. Look at their 40 times

Luck may or may not mind being behind manning........

Who knows the kids thoughts

The reality of this situation is that we have MANY holes, and with or with upcoming probable FA losses

This team (with or without) Manning will be average at best....... Probably less than that

I believe we are in for at least one more bad season, while we retool

Luck may or may not mind being behind manning........

Who knows the kids thoughts

The reality of this situation is that we have MANY holes, and with or with upcoming probable FA losses

This team (with or without) Manning will be average at best....... Probably less than that

I believe we are in for at least one more bad season, while we retool

Exactly. We aren't immediate contenders for super bowl with luck or manning. So why not go into rebuild mode with a young great qb. There is arguments for both sides though

Deano..do you think Andrew wants to come to Indianapolis and sit behind or replace Peyton Manning?

Do you think he WANTS to be in either position...

Do you really think that RGIII would want to come to indy and sit behind Peyton, when HE would be a starter on whatever other team picks HIM? Seriously, you make it sound like you and RGIII are BFFs who talk on the phone about his future every night...

To everyone that thinks we should trade the #1 pick, but then turn right around and use our first pick on a different QB, why? do you really think that a couple extra rookies will make that big of a difference? i mean if we draft Luck #1, we will still have the top pick (or second pick, since we alternate with the rams) in every one of the other 6 rounds.

Personally, if we had a draft today, with a rookie Peyton Manning and a rookie Michael Vick i wouldnt trade Manning and take Vick instead just so i can have a few extra picks...and before people try to bash me for comparing RGIII to Vick, the hype coming out of college for both of them is exactly the same. Remember, Vick even had those ridiculous comercials where they made it look like his deep ball was SO good that he could throw it out of the stadium....the hype is the same, world class speed/strong arm/good deep ball/athletic freak/will revolutionize the qb position yadda yadda yadda...not going to happen.

They have been trying to say that the league is evolving and going to more of the athletic QB over the pocker passer ever since Randall Cunningham....and last i looked, Brady/Manning were still considered the top of the position as recently as last year...and THIS year, Brady is still up there, along with Brees and Rodgers...and Luck's game is a WHOLE lot more similar to Rodgers than RGIII could ever dream of being.

Not the best arm.....Not the deepest completions..

..but he completes passes.....Very competent...and calm...

You have to see the comparisons to Manning..

But I would not want him to start as a rookie...

If he is drafted #1 he should be starting from day one....

I will give a bit of my memory concerning the Manning vs Leaf debate...

Don't let anyone tell you a lie... most evryone was 50/50 on who was better. I prefered Leaf simply on "physical ability" ... He blew Manning away. He won big games, and Ryan L "portrayed" a solid leader.

Manning in college had "superior" talent around him. PM threw the ball 10 yards and Pearless Price or "whoever" would take it the distance. Or maybe Peyton handed it off to Jamal Lewis.. to "loosen the D up" ...

Draft day I was a bit disappointed, BUT once Manning spoke... Indianapois was "won over" ...

And I remember vividly.. Mannings FIRST several games as a rookie....

NO ARM STRENGTH. TOO MUCH ARCH, NO ZIP ON THE BALL.

Fast forward one year. Manning was a different player. (actually the second half of his rookie year) I remember an interview with Manning and he said ... "in the NFL you have to deliver the ball with "PACE"....." Meaning zing it in there.

AND the rest is history.... Peyton was by NO MEANS ... A NO BRAINER.

Neither is Luck, but he "looks pretty darn good" .. :coltslogo::lombardi:

And I think it is safe to say.... that with "Luck he is no Leaf"..

heheh..

Rock on Colts ... It will all work out.