Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grantland: 2015 Draft Awards

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/welcome-to-the-2015-nfl-draft-awards/

Our award is second to last...

Most Confusing Pick

Indianapolis taking Phillip Dorsett. There’s nothing wrong with the best-player-available approach, especially when you’re a competitive team drafting in the late 20s. And I don’t have anything at all against Dorsett, who profiles as a valuable slot receiver despite being denied the ball at times at Miami. In a vacuum, this pick makes total sense.

Given where the Colts are right now, though? I’m confused. Indy was set at wide receiver with T.Y. Hilton, Andre Johnson, and 2014 second-rounder Donte Moncrief, who should challenge for a bigger role in 2015. The Colts used Reggie Wayne as their slot receiver last year, but with Wayne gone, it seemed likely they would move one of those three (or tight end Coby Fleener) into the slot when the Colts go three wide. Dorsett is earmarked for that role now, but does it suggest the Colts are concerned about Moncrief’s development or their ability to sign Hilton to an extension after his contract ends this year?

It also seems strange given the talent pool that was available to the Colts at no. 29. Having been bounced from the playoffs by a heavy dose of New England’s running game in each of the past two seasons, Indy could have addressed its defense. With a gaping hole next to safety Mike Adams, the Colts could have chosen the safety class’s best run defender (Landon Collins) or cover man (Damarious Randall), or chosen to upgrade their defensive line by drafting Eddie Goldman or Malc—

Least Confusing Pick

Patriots drafting Malcom Brown. How did the Patriots end up getting exactly what they needed without budging an inch? Despite rumors they were going to deal their pick at the end of the first round to the Texans, Bill Belichick’s team somehow came away with a player it could have justified grabbing 15 spots earlier. Although the Patriots were a respectable 13th against the run per DVOA last year, that was with Vince Wilfork, who was a cap casualty this offseason.

While the Patriots can expect to get more out of 2014 first-rounder Dominique Easley this season, the 290-pound defensive tackle simply doesn’t do the same things that Wilfork, nominally playing the same position, did for years and years. The 319-pound Brown can’t expect to play like Wilfork overnight, but he has the frame to hold up as a two-gapping tackle if Belichick wants to use him that way. Brown was regarded as arguably the best run defender in this class, and Belichick will be able to use him for 40 snaps a game to clog up the interior of the defense while Jamie Collins and Jerod Mayo run free behind him. We don’t know if Brown will be an above-average pro yet, so it’s impossible to say this is a great pick. Given pre-draft projections and analysis of where the Patriots are weakest, though, it sure seems like a logical one.

This is why I don't like Grantland most of the time... They jump the gun like you wouldn't believe theres still 224 other players to be drafted and they're making awards already... smh

Just a simple knee-jerk first round reaction article for your Friday morning since that's what everyone is going to be talking about. I disagree with Bill Barnwell 99% of the time and I hate Bill Simmons for being the biggest Boston homer/Colts hater despite living on his high horse in LA for the last 10 years. But I agree whole-heartedly with this. They will do another article on Monday when the dust settles about full team's hauls but this is what gets people to click.

I'm really surprised Bill Simmons site would put this up, he's certainly not partial

bill barnwell is an analytics guy, and i'm sure he applied something called a 'common sense'.

it's baffling why colts didn't take top d line.   i swear you guys would take the best defensive guy available most likely brown. 

This is why I don't like Grantland most of the time... They jump the gun like you wouldn't believe theres still 224 other players to be drafted and they're making awards already... smh

This is just for round 1 selections, not for the entire draft.

A little research wouldn't hurt them.  Moncrief was not a 2nd round pick

Most Confusing Pick

Indianapolis taking Phillip Dorsett. There’s nothing wrong with the best-player-available approach, especially when you’re a competitive team drafting in the late 20s. And I don’t have anything at all against Dorsett, who profiles as a valuable slot receiver despite being denied the ball at times at Miami. In a vacuum, this pick makes total sense.

Should have stopped right there.

I don't understand how you can co-sign both the BPA approach and the player picked, and then make a case for the team drafting for need. It's one or the other, either you draft BPA or you don't. You can't just draft BPA when it's convenient, when your board aligns with your needs... 

Most Confusing Pick

Given where the Colts are right now, though? I’m confused. Indy was set at wide receiver with T.Y. Hilton, Andre Johnson, and 2014 second-rounder Donte Moncrief, who should challenge for a bigger role in 2015. The Colts used Reggie Wayne as their slot receiver last year, but with Wayne gone, it seemed likely they would move one of those three (or tight end Coby Fleener) into the slot when the Colts go three wide. Dorsett is earmarked for that role now, but does it suggest the Colts are concerned about Moncrief’s development or their ability to sign Hilton to an extension after his contract ends this year?

It also seems strange given the talent pool that was available to the Colts at no. 29. Having been bounced from the playoffs by a heavy dose of New England’s running game in each of the past two seasons, Indy could have addressed its defense. With a gaping hole next to safety Mike Adams, the Colts could have chosen the safety class’s best run defender (Landon Collins) or cover man (Damarious Randall), or chosen to upgrade their defensive line by drafting Eddie Goldman or Malc—

Least Confusing Pick

Patriots drafting Malcom Brown. How did the Patriots end up getting exactly what they needed without budging an inch? Despite rumors they were going to deal their pick at the end of the first round to the Texans, Bill Belichick’s team somehow came away with a player it could have justified grabbing 15 spots earlier. Although the Patriots were a respectable 13th against the run per DVOA last year, that was with Vince Wilfork, who was a cap casualty this offseason.

While the Patriots can expect to get more out of 2014 first-rounder Dominique Easley this season, the 290-pound defensive tackle simply doesn’t do the same things that Wilfork, nominally playing the same position, did for years and years. The 319-pound Brown can’t expect to play like Wilfork overnight, but he has the frame to hold up as a two-gapping tackle if Belichick wants to use him that way. Brown was regarded as arguably the best run defender in this class, and Belichick will be able to use him for 40 snaps a game to clog up the interior of the defense while Jamie Collins and Jerod Mayo run free behind him. We don’t know if Brown will be an above-average pro yet, so it’s impossible to say this is a great pick. Given pre-draft projections and analysis of where the Patriots are weakest, though, it sure seems like a logical one.

It sounds like Brown would either take Chapman's place or Jones' place. Neither of whom was really the problem against the Pats.

bill barnwell is an analytics guy, and i'm sure he applied something called a 'common sense'.

Don't bet on it. A lot of the time those guys use analytics to support an opinion they formed a long time ago....and don't realize they are.

it's baffling why colts didn't take top d line.   i swear you guys would take the best defensive guy available most likely brown.

If you have ever listened to Barnwell's podcast you would know the common sense isn't his strong suit