Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#BringBobBack's Mock Draft 7.0 (Final Mock)

R1 #29 Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA

R2 #61 Preston Smith DE Miss St.

R3 #93 Ty Sambrailo OT Colorado St.

R4 #128 Steven Nelson CB Oregon St.

R5 #165 Durell Eskridge FS Syracuse

R6 #204 Derrick Lott DT Tenn-Chatt

R6 #206 Nick Boyle TE Delaware

R7 #244 Ryan Delaire OLB Towson

R7 #255 Dreamius Smith RB West Virginia

For people questioning no RB early i really like what i've seen from Dreamius Smith he's gonna be a hidden gem for whoever drafts him or picks him up he can be a great rotation RB with guys like Gore and Herron. Although if we go for a guy like Duke Johnson or Jay Ajayi early i wouldn't be against it at all.

R1 #29 Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA

R2 #61 Preston Smith DE Miss St.

R3 #93 Ty Sambrailo OT Colorado St.

R4 #128 Steven Nelson CB Oregon St.

R5 #165 Durell Eskridge FS Syracuse

R6 #204 Derrick Lott DT Tenn-Chatt

R6 #206 Nick Boyle TE Delaware

R7 #244 Ryan Delaire OLB Towson

R7 #255 Dreamius Smith RB West Virginia

Where does Preston Smith fit at within our defensive scheme? Honest question, because like Mario Edwards, he would seem to be a "tweener" in our system.

He's not a tweener. Very clearly a 3-4 DE. That was proven at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Absolutely not a tweener.

Am I missing something or looking at the wrong Preston Smith? At ~275lbs, he's NOT a 3/4 DE. His only spot as a 3/4 DE would be the 3tech. If his bench test (24 reps) is any relation to his overall strength, he's not nearly strong enough or big enough to even be a 3tech in our front.

Am I missing something or looking at the wrong Preston Smith? At ~275lbs, he's NOT a 3/4 DE. His only spot as a 3/4 DE would be the 3tech. If his bench test (24 reps) is any relation to his overall strength, he's not nearly strong enough or big enough to even be a 3tech in our front.

Every scouting report I've seen on him (including mine) has his best position at 3-4 DE. He has the size and game strength. He was looked at for a huge senior bowl, 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE and he looked very good and fluid at 3-4DE but stuggled on the edge.

Every scouting report I've seen on him (including mine) has his best position at 3-4 DE. He has the size and game strength. He was looked at for a huge senior bowl, 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE and he looked very good and fluid at 3-4DE but stuggled on the edge.

he's got great speed for 271 fills gaps and gets pressure behind the line. guy also is a great tackler. i think it would be preferable to put on a few more pounds to handle the bigger hogs up front on opposing OL but i believe he's more than caple of playing DE in the 3-4

As for the Mock its pretty good, I just don't like Shanbrilo or No S early. Nelson will probably be long gone by then but he's a better zone CB anyway. Replace Shambrilo with a S and Nelson with a more realistic PM (Press Man) CB and this would be a favorite of mine.

i wanted to go again for someone like D'Joun Smith in the 3rd but i thought a lot of attention has been on OL and while i'd much rather address defense early i think it's more realistic to suggest that we may go OL early would much prefer Sambrailo in the 3rd to Ereck Flowers in the 1st I watched Sambrailo on tape and think with a little learning could easily be a starter on our line. also with the safety position i just really like two of my more researched safety prospects Clayton Geathers and Durell Eskridge both have good size and while Geathers is a heavy hitter with some coverage ability Eskridge has just great coverage ability covers slants and crossing routes really really well and can play man to man and come up against the bigger recievers and TE's my only complaint is both have a bull in a china shop approach to tackling they can hit and hit hard but charging head first to make a play leads to bad angles and miised tackles as well but i feel that is something that Pagano can coach up although would not be against Colllins or Randall early either.also perhaps Ibrahiem ampbell or Jaquiski Tartt early perhaps 2nd to 4th round

Here's a good breakdown of Preston Smith from Phil Savage.

I think he'd be a real good draft pick.  Stout against the run and can provide you with some good interior pressure on passing downs, which is killer when you look at some of the guys we will have coming off the edge.