Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole: Colts don't refer to the Patriots by name (merge)

ViriLudant

We need to get better regardless. Last season, there was still a separation between the Colts and the Pats, Steelers, Broncos (until later in the year), Seahawks, Cowboys, Packers... Nothing wrong with being a top 8 team three years after a major reboot, but it's time to crash the party and redecorate. 

I firmly believe that if the Ravens had held up their end of the deal, the Colts would have gone to the Super Bowl. Anything could have happened; last time we played Seattle, we won, but they definitely would have been favored. Either way, point is that we shouldn't build with an eye on just beating the Pats. The goal should be to improve the roster and the execution in every way possible.

"The goal should be to improve the roster and the execution in every way possible."

Exactly! Do this, and it doesn't matter who you play to obtain the end goal of a Championship(s).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly believe that if the Ravens had held up their end of the deal, the Colts would have gone to the Super Bowl.

I keep coming back to that myself. If Baltimore won, as they should've/could've, they would have to come here, and we took them to task early last season. 

You know, this thought just hit me (3 months ago or so). :) The woulda, shoulda, coulda syndrome scenario ...

1. Detroit 20 woulda beaten Dallas 24

2. Baltimore 31 shoulda beaten New England 35

3. Dallas 21 coulda beaten Green Bay 26

4. Green Bay 22 woulda, shoulda, coulda beaten Seattle 28

5. Seattle 24 woulda, shoulda, coulda beaten New England 28

And then, finally, the coup-de-gra ... Indianapolis woulda, shoulda, coulda ... Nah, never mind ... wouldna happened ... :)

However, getting back to the top 5 above. Does anyone think that this was odd? I mean, every single game was shrouded and surrounded in controversy. Really. Even the Colts game with DeflateGate. Seems very, very strange to me. I cannot remember this many games in the NFL Playoffs where this happened. Whether it was strange plays, officiating calls, calls from the sidelines, et.al and etc., craziness in all of its forms.

Whew! C'mon, man! :) Did anyone else get this feeling, or was it just my imagination (God, I hope not!) ?

Hate no disrespect for a franchise that has practiced many versions of stretching the rules , Not Interesting at all they are the enemy more than any other there really is no need to identify the obvious just as there is no need to point out the Brady era is ending & the disrespect will turn to laughter as it does .

Lets get 1 thing straight theres no way I believe the Colts don't mention them by name infact I would expect a lot of versions with colorful variations . 

Hate no disrespect for a franchise that has practiced many versions of stretching the rules , Not Interesting at all they are the enemy more than any other there really is no need to identify the obvious just as there is no need to point out the Brady era is ending & the disrespect will turn to laughter as it does .

Lets get 1 thing straight theres no way I believe the Colts don't mention them by name infact I would expect a lot of versions with colorful variations .

Because no team ever transitions from one good QB to another. Nope, that never happens.

Not Interesting at all they are the enemy more than any other there really is no need to identify the obvious just as there is no need to point out the Brady era is ending & the disrespect will turn to laughter as it does .

The only thing is Brady has been largely irrelevant in the Pats wins since the Luck era began. Our run game and lines and coaching have dominated each match up. I don't see that changing as long as Bill is at the helm ...

The only thing is Brady has been largely irrelevant in the Pats wins since the Luck era began. Our run game and lines and coaching have dominated each match up. I don't see that changing as long as Bill is at the helm ...

That may be so, but the chances are that New England won't be in the AFC Championship game once Brady retires.

IMO  Bill has had Brady since 2000 & according to Roger Goodell has been cheating since , Considering Bill  was nothing special as a Cleveland Browns HC prior to 2000 I believe with the added scrutiny the many violations has brought the Patriots Organization  & the retirement of Brady combined will leave Bill feeling deflated as he sinks with his team .

IMO  Bill has had Brady since 2000 & according to Roger Goodell has been cheating since , Considering Bill  was nothing special as a Cleveland Browns HC prior to 2000 I believe with the added scrutiny the many violations has brought the Patriots Organization  & the retirement of Brady combined will leave Bill feeling deflated as he sinks with his team .

So how does that make the Colts better than them post Brady? Colts have yet to stop the run, run the ball or just generally coach to stay competitive in a game ... Brady's departure won't change any of that.

So how does that make the Colts better than them post Brady? Colts have yet to stop the run, run the ball or just generally coach to stay competitive in a game ... Brady's departure won't change any of that.

Andrew Luck gets better every year & we will see what this season brings .  It took you guys 10 years with brady to get back to a superbowl , I like my Colts chances for a bright future , How many losing seasons will Bill have after this departure before Patriots fans get that Deflated feeling ? :) :)

The Patriots without Brady will be the same as before Brady  .

Andrew Luck gets better every year & we will see what this season brings .  It took you guys 10 years with brady to get back to a superbowl , I like my Colts chances for a bright future , How many losing seasons will Bill have after this departure before Patriots fans get that Deflated feeling ? :) :)

The Patriots without Brady will be the same as before Brady  .

10 years? lol. We were there in 07 and 11.

Perhaps you have forgotten 2008 when Bill went 11-5 with lousy Matt Cassell?  I do believe as long as Bill is running things, the Pats will remain a contender. Do I believe the team will reach the heights it has with Brady? No. He is the best ever. But I think they will still beat the Colts more often than not. :)

10 years? lol. We were there in 07 and 11.

Perhaps you have forgotten 2008 when Bill went 11-5 with lousy Matt Cassell?  I do believe as long as Bill is running things, the Pats will remain a contender. Do I believe the team will reach the heights it has with Brady? No. He is the best ever. But I think they will still beat the Colts more often than not. :)

:) :)

I'm sorry I forgot about those losses to the Giants they were my favorite appearances losing the perfect season & losing here in Indy were special thank you for the memories you just made my day better .

Peyton & the Colts did'nt get it done but howbout Eli & the G-men were'nt they just awesome .  haha haha

I can't believe you really think that it's just an automatic. 

I can't believe you really think that it's just an automatic. 

Not an automatic by any means but when I look how the teams have matched up in the Luck/Pagano era, it is clear to me that the biggest advantage is in coaching as well as the lines. I just don't see how losing a QB is going to change things that dramatically as I expect the next QB for Bill to start whether it is Jimmy or someone else will be a good QB. In other words, I don't think the Pats have needed a QB like Brady to beat the Colts. That could change going forward but as long as Bill is running things in NE, I feel confident vs Indy.

I'm sorry I forgot about those losses to the Giants they were my favorite appearances losing the perfect season & losing here in Indy were special thank you for the memories you just made my day better .

Peyton & the Colts did'nt get it done but howbout Eli & the G-men were'nt they just awesome .  haha haha

All I can say is thank God for Malcolm Butler! haha   He helped take that sting out of both those losses. Imagine if the Hawks had won? Kearse and that ridiculous bobble catch would have haunted us worse than Tyree. But Carroll saved the day.

PeteCarrollshouldseriouslyconsiderwearin

A change is coming, amfootball. The Colts are going to be the nemesis of New England starting this year. The coin has been flipped and it's turned up "heads" in the Colts favor for a long time to come. No longer will the Patriots dominate Indianapolis. Too many changes and logical reasoning in the "trench mentality", the run, stopping the run, protecting Luck, et.al to not influence the coming onslaught of the next (should I dare say) dynasty. Building by draft and everything pointing towards these philosophies does/will create havoc for all Indianapolis adversaries for quite some time, IMO! In other words ...

"Roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news!"

A change is coming, amfootball. The Colts are going to be the nemesis of New England starting this year. The coin has been flipped and it's turned up "heads" in the Colts favor for a long time to come. No longer will the Patriots dominate Indianapolis. Too many changes and logical reasoning in the "trench mentality", the run, stopping the run, protecting Luck, et.al to not influence the coming onslaught of the next (should I dare say) dynasty. Building by draft and everything pointing towards these philosophies does/will create havoc for all Indianapolis adversaries for quite some time, IMO! In other words ...

Anything is possible. Although I would not bet on this year given Pagano is a lame duck coach and this draft could be the beginning of great things for Grigson or the beginning of the end. If anything, I think 2015 is a proving ground for the Colts aside from playing the Pats but I do think the game in Oct will be big in terms of how much Irsay feels Grigson and company have closed the gap if at all ...

Anything is possible. Although I would not bet on this year given Pagano is a lame duck coach and this draft could be the beginning of great things for Grigson or the beginning of the end. If anything, I think 2015 is a proving ground for the Colts aside from playing the Pats but I do think the game in Oct will be big in terms of how much Irsay feels Grigson and company have closed the gap if at all ...

I agree. 2015 will be a tell-tale season for the Colts. The philosophy over the last couple of seasons, especially this off-season, and the up and coming one all point to a "changing of the guard" so to speak. During the tenure of Ryan Grigson so far, it certainly points and reflects three things the Colts are in the midst of trying to do ... and that is ...

1. Protect Andrew Luck

2. Create the run

3. Stop the run

As far as closing the gap, I really think this has happened over the last couple of years notwithstanding Luck only. The continued closing with the up coming draft tonight should absolve most nay-sayers comments of negativity that the Colts are not finishers.

Peyton & the Colts did'nt get it done but howbout Eli & the G-men were'nt they just awesome . haha haha

Lol, better to be at the party then not be invited.

To me, they're just the team in the way. After you slay the dragon, you still have to climb the tower. They deserve special attention, given how badly they've been beating us, but there are 15 other games on the schedule. 

Yep, NE is our #1 stumbling block & INDY has a lot of work to do to not get blown off the field by the Patriots. VL is right to downplay the notion of a rivalry with us because up until now games have been decidedly lopsided in Belichick's favor. 

I know how smart that franchise is or how well it is run & all we can do is learn how to stop getting steamrolled by their backs. In order to be a rivalry, you must generate at least 1 victory against NE in my book. It's a work in progress. 

All I can say is thank God for Malcolm Butler! haha   He helped take that sting out of both those losses. Imagine if the Hawks had won? Kearse and that ridiculous bobble catch would have haunted us worse than Tyree. But Carroll saved the day.

PeteCarrollshouldseriouslyconsiderwearin

I love the Mr. Peanut monocle on Pete Carroll. Nice touch AMF!  :thmup:

The Colts defense right now is no better than the one that gives up 45 ppg to the Patriots. Until that changes, there is no flipping of the coin.

The Colts defense right now is no better than the one that gives up 45 ppg to the Patriots. Until that changes, there is no flipping of the coin.

There have been several changes for the better on defense. In addition, it's quite the opposite side of the coin now. Patriots have lost significant players. Colts have added significant players on both sides. Yeah, I'd say it's been flipped. I guess we'll find out come this October in Indianapolis, won't we? Irregardless of the ongoing draft right now.