Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

History shows Trading up is not a smart move!

Below is an article which focuses on the trade last year between the bills and browns for Watkins. RGIII was the last time before that someone traded up, and we know what has happened there. What you give up is too much, especially for big moves.

The last time this happened, and is very close to our situation, Atlanta decided 3 years ago to trade up from the late 20's, I believe the 27th pick to the 6th pick owned by Cleveland. They felt they were a win now team, and only needed an offensive "difference maker", and wanted Julio Jones. He was the missing piece. It worked for the first year, and got them to the NFC Championship game. Since then, they have been a disaster. Lack of depth, bad OL and defense, and the lack of draft picks has really come back to haunt them. Trading up rarely makes sense, and we would have to give up way too much.

So a big NO on trading up, unless someone you want falls, and you only have to move a few spots costing maybe a 3rd or 4th.

The article just makes me think about all the teams who have moved up, and the teams I see who benefit in the draft are the teams lucky enough to trade backwards. If St. Louis had a QB. If Cleveland has a good solid organization and drafted well, both would be in great shape. I do believe St. Louis is going to be very good going forward due to the trove of picks they got from Washington. That ended in six starters for their team, and should be a cautionary tale to moving up in the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24569874/was-trading-up-for-sammy-watkins-worth-it-history-says-no

Atlanta moving up was fine. They gave up a lot, but they got a great player. The problems they have are from other failed moves, both in the draft and in free agency, along with a complacent coaching staff. 

But in general, yeah, it's too expensive to move up, especially in the top 10. 

Trading up can pay off. But say for the Colts first round at pick 29, I wouldn't want to give up more than a 3rd unless there was someone really exceptional falling. And even giving up a 3rd it would have to be a very good player - that would only move you up maybe 5 or 6 spots most likely.

There are exceptions, if you are 99% sure you are getting a Luck, Watt, Megatron, etc ...  , but if there is any doubt I have always been an advocate of trading down.  I would much rather "fish with a net and have a decent chance I get a couple "good catches" and maybe an extra "keeper", than fish with a hook and hope I catch a rare "whopper"" 

Even though we didn't trade up to get him Werner is prime example of the value of trading down.

depends on how far you're trading up......Colts traded up to get T.Y.....that worked out great

traded up to get Hughes...that's worked out ok so far

the real gamble is trading up to the top 5-10 where you generally have to give up a lot

Agreed.  I'll say it a different way.  When you can trade a later round pick to select a guy with a mid round pick and that guy plays like a first round pick very early in his career...that works.  

That seems hardly ever the way most teams trade up, however.

Trading up in the first. . . No I would prefer not to.  Teams IMO over-value first round picks (that isn't to say they arn't valuable) and they demand a killing to trade down in the first.

Trading up in later rounds . . . that's better.  We got TY Hilton because of a trade up.  I'd have to look it up to be certain but I believe we traded a 5th to move up from the top of the 4th to the bottom of the 3rd and pick TY.  That paid off pretty well.