Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where would Duron Carter rank among WRs in this years draft?

I'm not high on the kid but I have no problem giving him an incentive laden deal...with tons of clauses/language about staying out of trouble etc. Hard to say where he would land in the draft...mid to late I would imagine...he should have a prove it deal imo.

No need for the incentives and special language. I posted above, I believe his contract terms are limited to what a UDFA can receive, so we're not talking about a lot of money either way. And he's not eligible to renegotiate until after 2017, and not eligible for unrestricted free agency until 2019. It's just a rookie free agent contract.

I think it's bad. I think it's 7 points in the championship game bad. And given what we have on the roster, WR is a definite need. It's one of the thinnest positions on the roster.

Setting that aside, I don't think that a team should set up their draft board based on what their biggest needs are. Except for in specific situations -- like QB, for instance -- you don't say "we don't need a (blank), so we shouldn't draft one until the fourth round." If you have a need and want a guy who can make a difference right away, you need to sign a free agent. You don't pass up on good players in the draft, and you don't reach for need. You take the best players you can, and you take care of roster mechanics later. Add the best talent, and know that you've made your roster better now and in the long term.

Like you said, except in specific situations. I think a good example was Carolina from last year. There was no way they weren't drafting a WR there. You let go of Steve Smith, Lafell, and Ginn and all you sign in FA is Cotchery? Yeah they had to take a WR 1st round.

I sometime feel as if the Colts are in that same situation. Sure you could use a receiver or a RB, but there are some positions that almost HAVE to be upgraded immediately. If Redding retires, DE is a huge hole. Plus we lack playmakers on the D in general, so any defensive player who can make an immediate impact is also a need.

Plus for me, WR in the 1st is pointless if you can't protect the QB or run the ball.

Like you said, except in specific situations. I think a good example was Carolina from last year. There was no way they weren't drafting a WR there. You let go of Steve Smith, Lafell, and Ginn and all you sign in FA is Cotchery? Yeah they had to take a WR 1st round.

I sometime feel as if the Colts are in that same situation. Sure you could use a receiver or a RB, but there are some positions that almost HAVE to be upgraded immediately. If Redding retires, DE is a huge hole. Plus we lack playmakers on the D in general, so any defensive player who can make an immediate impact is also a need.

Plus for me, WR in the 1st is pointless if you can't protect the QB or run the ball.

We don't have any needs as glaring as Carolina's receiver need last year. And they got great value on Kelvin Benjamin anyways; he was probably BPA regardless. But they could have drafted any of a number of receivers later in the draft, and still addressed their need. It didn't have to be the first round, and it didn't have to be Benjamin. They drafted him because they liked him.

And it's ironic that we're even going down this path, because receiver is one of our biggest needs. Maybe not THE biggest need, but probably #3 on the list. We absolutely have to protect the QB, and we have to get better on the ground. We have to add young defensive players with playmaking potential. That doesn't mean that we have to do any of those things in the first round. And I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, because I don't think we need to grab a receiver in the first round. I'm only saying that it's definitely a need, and I wouldn't be surprised if we take a receiver in the first three rounds.

We don't have any needs as glaring as Carolina's receiver need last year. And they got great value on Kelvin Benjamin anyways; he was probably BPA regardless. But they could have drafted any of a number of receivers later in the draft, and still addressed their need. It didn't have to be the first round, and it didn't have to be Benjamin. They drafted him because they liked him.

And it's ironic that we're even going down this path, because receiver is one of our biggest needs. Maybe not THE biggest need, but probably #3 on the list. We absolutely have to protect the QB, and we have to get better on the ground. We have to add young defensive players with playmaking potential. That doesn't mean that we have to do any of those things in the first round. And I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, because I don't think we need to grab a receiver in the first round. I'm only saying that it's definitely a need, and I wouldn't be surprised if we take a receiver in the first three rounds.

Interesting that you see WR as our #3 need.   Maybe I should?    But as of today,  I don't.   I see it further down the list.

Perhaps that's because I think it's more easily addressable through FA, through signing Carter,  and the bringing back of one of either Reggie or Hakeem on lesser contracts. 

I think OL, DL, S,  ILB, S are all more pressing needs than WR.     And I understand completely that all we have is TYH, Donte and Griff.     That it needs to be addressed.     I'd just prefer not to spend a pick in their first 3 rounds to do it.   I want to get younger and better all over the defense and on the OL and at RB.

I'm open to re-thinking this....   and typically you're the man to do that....   but as of today,  WR feels like a 5th or 6th round pick to me....    which I think is my way of saying that other needs are more pressing,  not that WR isn't a need,  just not as pressing to me in the draft.

Interesting that you see WR as our #3 need.   Maybe I should?    But as of today,  I don't.   I see it further down the list.

Perhaps that's because I think it's more easily addressable through FA, through signing Carter,  and the bringing back of one of either Reggie or Hakeem on lesser contracts. 

I think OL, DL, S,  ILB, S are all more pressing needs than WR.     And I understand completely that all we have is TYH, Donte and Griff.     That it needs to be addressed.     I'd just prefer not to spend a pick in their first 3 rounds to do it.   I want to get younger and better all over the defense and on the OL and at RB.

I'm open to re-thinking this....   and typically you're the man to do that....   but as of today,  WR feels like a 5th or 6th round pick to me....    which I think is my way of saying that other needs are more pressing,  not that WR isn't a need,  just not as pressing to me in the draft.

Let's see if we sign Carter, or if we re-sign Wayne or Nicks, or another receiver. This is all very fluid, and could change via free agency, but with only two receivers under contract, to me, it's way up the list.

In the same vein, we might address those areas you mentioned in free agency. So this whole thing is a little premature.

My point is just that WR is definitely a need, and I don't think any of our free agents are going to sufficiently address that need. We could keep Adams, we can keep Reitz, DL needs help, but we already have two starters at ILB (I know we don't love them, but it is what it is), etc., etc. We have a ton of needs, IMO. I think we'll attack those in March.

So saying "yeah, we need a receiver, but I don't want us to take one until later" doesn't add up, IMO. First, I don't think Grigson is going to draft for need, specifically. Second, a late round player isn't addressing a need, it's just adding young talent that you hope can stick on the roster. 

One more thing, at receiver, we've struck out three years in a row on the stopgap veteran receiver. I'm pretty surprised that Nicks was so ineffective, but this strategy needs to be changed. The receivers that have been most productive and have the most potential are the young guys that we've drafted. So I have no problem with us taking a receiver who can play right away. It's been our best strategy.

Let's see if we sign Carter, or if we re-sign Wayne or Nicks, or another receiver. This is all very fluid, and could change via free agency, but with only two receivers under contract, to me, it's way up the list.

In the same vein, we might address those areas you mentioned in free agency. So this whole thing is a little premature.

My point is just that WR is definitely a need, and I don't think any of our free agents are going to sufficiently address that need. We could keep Adams, we can keep Reitz, DL needs help, but we already have two starters at ILB (I know we don't love them, but it is what it is), etc., etc. We have a ton of needs, IMO. I think we'll attack those in March.

So saying "yeah, we need a receiver, but I don't want us to take one until later" doesn't add up, IMO. First, I don't think Grigson is going to draft for need, specifically. Second, a late round player isn't addressing a need, it's just adding young talent that you hope can stick on the roster. 

One more thing, at receiver, we've struck out three years in a row on the stopgap veteran receiver. I'm pretty surprised that Nicks was so ineffective, but this strategy needs to be changed. The receivers that have been most productive and have the most potential are the young guys that we've drafted. So I have no problem with us taking a receiver who can play right away. It's been our best strategy.

You know,  I've been beating the drum saying commit to building a quality defense for more than a year now.   I wanted it last year,  and I'm wanting it this year.

But, I confess,  there's a part of me -- a small part of me -- that wouldn't mind taking an OL first, a RB in the 2nd and a WR in the 3rd and be done with it!!    Address the defense in FA (though I'm not sure the right players are available to us there) and then use picks 4-7 on defense. 

And then we can look at being more aggressive on defense in the 2016 draft.

Again,  this is a small part of me....   but sometimes that small part can get awfully loud and annoying!