Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early Off season FA / Mock

Numbers taken from Over The Cap - not including the newly reported 3m in Trich money incase it turns out not to be true.

Cuts

Landry - 1.4m savings - Hasn't done enough to justify another year

Phillips - 2.6m savings - Didn't add anything

Chapman - .7m - Lines just not been good enough, has to be casualties

TRich - 0 - No point to keep him at this point, time to end the mistake

Thomas - 3.2m - Injuries

Ballard - .65m - Injuries

Cap Space ~47m assuming 142m Cap Next season

Resigning

Freeman - 1yr / 2.3m - 2nd rd tender, he's good depth if nothing else.

Hasselbeck / Backup QB - 2yr / 4m - Needed, shouldn't skimp too much

Reitz - 2yr / 3.7m - Key backup and has played well when called upon

Herron - 2yr / 1.3m - Good enough for top 3

Butler - 3yr / 10m -  Has played well in spurts

Brown - 2yr / 3.8m - Great special teamer and decent when called upon

Adams - 1yr / 1.3m - Probowl, he's 34 so won't get much anywhere I suspect

Bradshaw - 1yr / .9m - 2 years of injuries but successful when healthy

Overton, Whalen, etc... - 2m against cap (top 51) - Filler in top 51

Remaining Cap - 33m

Free Agency

Terrance Knighton - 4yr / 18m - Run stuffer NT that Hughers / Chapman haven't been

Brian De La Puente - 2yr / 4.5m - Center / Guard better than what we have at C and RG now

Duron Carter 3yr - 3m - Big body with speed, ++ potential and will compete with Moncrief

Devin Mccoutry - 5yr / 45m - Weaken our biggest rival while upgrading a position of need = +++++ for me

Remaining Cap - 17m

Draft

1st - La'el Collins - OT/G - Brought in for RG next season, ideally develop to replace Cherlius next year if he doesn't improve

2nd - Duke Johnson - RB - We have a good offense but NE game proved it can be too one dimensional, need a running game.  Fits the running back by committee scheme that we use.

3rd - Stephone Anthony - ILB  - Showing strong at Senior Bowl, good size and decent in coverage

4th - Henry Anderson - 3-4 DE - Replacement for Redding, need to add something to DL somewhere in draft

5th - Imoan Claiborne - CB - Gordy replacement.

6th - Jamison Crowder - WR - Whalen competition, fills the slot position.

7th - ......No preference here

Remaining cap for carry over or inseason picks ~ 8m. Our 2016 cap situation is quite healthy so I'm not too concerned about space for Hilton, AC, Allen etc..

Don't think we'll be courting McCourty (pun intended). You have to get young at the safety position. We've had nothing but FAs starting there for too long. Brown, Adams, Landry, and Howell was an UDFA and Bethea was from the Polian era. I know McCourty isn't really old, but you can't keep putting FAs there.

I have different ideas of how the team should draft though.

Why he is overweight and is terrible he got thrown around by a 300 pound Center and he out weighs the guy by 40 pounds.

You should re-watch the Bengals game. It's almost comical how Russell Bodine just blows him up, and all people talked about was how bad of a Center he was this season lol. Chapman saved that guys job.

Good work on yours...

I would change cutting Chapman though. He still has some value and I don't see us cutting him while still under his rookie deal.

In free agency, I see the Colts signing more help at DL, and added depth at OG, S, and RB....

- Possible targets include...

DE Cedrick Thorton

NT Dan Williams

OG Orlando Franklin

S Marcus Gilchrist

S Will Hill

RB Frank Gore

2015 Draft

- Colts trade 1st for Chicago's 2, 3

- Colts trade 2, 6, 7 to NE for their 2, 4

Round 2 Pick 7 (CHI): Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami (Fla.)
Round 2 Pick 31 (N.E.): Anthony Harris, SS, Virginia
Round 3 Pick 7 (CHI): Alex Carter, CB, Stanford
Round 3 Pick 29: Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB, Louisville
Round 4 Pick 2 (N.E.): Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State
Round 4 Pick 29: Javorius Allen, RB, Southern California
Round 5 Pick 29: Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan State
Round 6 Pick 29: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (Fla.)

We aren't really in great position to draft true difference makers at DL so we get even stronger in the secondary, add our RT of the future, add another pass rusher, and some playmakers for Luck in Smith, Allen, and Dorsett.

Good work on yours...

I would change cutting Chapman though. He still has some value and I don't see us cutting him while still under his rookie deal.

In free agency, I see the Colts signing more help at DL, and added depth at OG, S, and RB....

DE Cedrick Thorton

NT Dan Williams

OG Orlando Franklin

S Marcus Gilchrist

S Will Hill

RB Frank Gore

2015 Draft

We aren't really in great position to draft true difference makers at DL so we get even stronger in the secondary, add our RT of the future, add another pass rusher, and some playmakers for Luck in Smith, Allen, and Dorsett.

I don't think we have anything close to the money you want to spend in FA.   We'll never be able to afford the six guys you want.

I don't think either of our trades you propose are even close to being realistic.

And many of the players you have us drafting in the simulator game are not going to be available when you have us picking them.

Neither Smith at 4 or Dorsett at 6 will be there....   both long, long gone.    Other picks seem interesting....

Sorry,   I don't mean to rain on your effort.    I always appreciate the time people take to do this....   :thmup:

Good work on yours...

DE Cedrick Thorton

NT Dan Williams

OG Orlando Franklin

S Marcus Gilchrist

S Will Hill

RB Frank Gore

2015 Draft

Dorsett will never make it pass the 3RD, let alone the 6th

I like you free agency. The only thing I would be concerned with is not bringing in a edge rusher.

I'm interested to see what Newsome can do before we invest heavily there, that and if Mathis can come back at even 50% would be great.  

If we get a guy like Knighton or Williams to go with Jones I expect a lot more collapsed pockets too.

Don't think we'll be courting McCourty (pun intended). You have to get young at the safety position. We've had nothing but FAs starting there for too long. Brown, Adams, Landry, and Howell was an UDFA and Bethea was from the Polian era. I know McCourty isn't really old, but you can't keep putting FAs there.

For me Mccortry solve 1 of 2 positions for 3+ years.  Yes we'll need someone to replace Adams soon but Mccourtry gives us time to see if Howell or Brown can handle it otherwise we look to the draft next year or so.

Good work on yours...

DE Cedrick Thorton

NT Dan Williams

OG Orlando Franklin

S Marcus Gilchrist

S Will Hill

RB Frank Gore

2015 Draft

Lot of money layed out in FA here not sure we can swing that. Also don't Thornton leaving Philly but would love him.

I'm for trading down in the draft, but too hard to know what we'd pull off so I left that idea out.  Like Allen in the 4th though.  Don't wanna do anything with NE except damage them hence the McCourtry move

Good work on yours...

DE Cedrick Thorton

NT Dan Williams

OG Orlando Franklin

S Marcus Gilchrist

S Will Hill

RB Frank Gore

2015 Draft

I think Will Hill would fit in nicely as a Colt.

That makes zero sense. If you can sign a top notch guy who is only 26, you don't decline to do so just because he's a free agent.

That makes zero sense. If you can sign a top notch guy who is only 26, you don't decline to do so just because he's a free agent.

Not just because he's a FA, but because of the money. We can try and say "we'll have plenty of cap room", but no one really knows. Probably better just to draft a guy and bide your time. McCourty's contract might mean in the long run you have to let go of a guy like Fleener, or may not be able to pay a guy like Castonzo. You have to throw Luck's contract into the mix too.

I just feel the Colts are in a position where they can't afford to sign a top FA.

Not just because he's a FA, but because of the money. We can try and say "we'll have plenty of cap room", but no one really knows. Probably better just to draft a guy and bide your time. McCourty's contract might mean in the long run you have to let go of a guy like Fleener, or may not be able to pay a guy like Castonzo. You have to throw Luck's contract into the mix too.

I just feel the Colts are in a position where they can't afford to sign a top FA.

Have you actually thought about the long term cost and done projections for future years, or are you kind of just talking? Because I think we can afford to add reasonably priced top notch players and keep our young core together. And if you're talking about a potential difference maker, which I think McCourty qualifies as, then it makes sense to pull the trigger.

We have 69m on the book for 2016 and if you include the next two drafts your talking about 85m. Cuts like RJF, Landry, and if they don't work out D'Q Jackson and Cherlius means we're talking about ~60m on the book and a cap of 150m.

Grigson takes grief rightfully so but we are set up fine for the 2012 draft class contracts as well as a couple FA pickups