Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2006 Colts Vs Steelers

dw49

Pittsburg ran the ball 42 times for 112 yards against Indy that day.   Timely passing on 3rd down (4 for 6), and 4th down (2 for 2) killed INDY,.       Heath Miller was huge too...    he was just HUGE.   

Indy's O just did not get going until it was too late.        Indy 1 for 6 on 3rd down.         Pittsburg played great.     But they did not POUND the ball down Indy's D.      3rd down passing killed Indy.

Oh and I won't ever go into Harper's lack of speed or Vandy totally choking ...         This is without question my worst memory as a Colt fan.    But the following season make the journey well worth it..... 

This seems a bit similar. Cinn expected to just keep pounding the football . I hope Pagano and staff adapt quicker than Dungy and his guys did if Lewis does similar to what Cowher did back then. 

Cincy does not have Ben Roethelisberger (sp)     Just saying...

This seems a bit similar. Cinn expected to just keep pounding the football . I hope Pagano and staff adapt quicker than Dungy and his guys did if Lewis does similar to what Cowher did back then. 

Cincy does not have Ben Roethelisberger (sp)     Just saying...

He was only a 2nd year guy then. They were really a run first , throw second team back then. What I was referring to is on that opening drive Rothlesburger threw 7 passes and completed 6. They only rushed the ball 3 times in that drive. It seed to catch Indy off guard as they kept loading up the box for the run. 

I get it but Cincy does not have Green...    and probably Gresham.      They just don't have a Hines Ward, Miller, AR El...       those guys make PLAYS.       I just think Indy will LOAD the BOX and MAKE Andy Dalton beat them.      just like last time. 

This is the absolute best match up and situation  Indy could ask for.

That said ...  this team has to come out and make it happen.   I think they will.

He was only a 2nd year guy then. They were really a run first , throw second team back then. What I was referring to is on that opening drive Rothlesburger threw 7 passes and completed 6. They only rushed the ball 3 times in that drive. It seed to catch Indy off guard as they kept loading up the box for the run. 

It was the 2005 team, not 06. Probably the best Colts team in the Manning era. This team doesn't come close to it.

But I get your point, just because we beat them in the regular season it means nothing.

It was the 2005 team, not 06. Probably the best Colts team in the Manning era. This team doesn't come close to it.

But I get your point, just because we beat them in the regular season it means nothing.

Yaeh was 2005 Colts but I said 2006 Colts Steelers game. 

**** ahhh... I see .. you took it to mean the 2006 Colts vs the steelers. I meant the 2006 game between Colts and steelers

I get it but Cincy does not have Green...    and probably Gresham.      They just don't have a Hines Ward, Miller, AR El...       those guys make PLAYS.       I just think Indy will LOAD the BOX and MAKE Andy Dalton beat them.      just like last time. 

This is the absolute best match up and situation  Indy could ask for.

That said ...  this team has to come out and make it happen.   I think they will.

You're correct Gresham is another big loss and yes the match up is probably too good.

We've been very good defensively vs average QB's. Cinn doesn't generate lots of pressure with there front 4 . They are great stopping the run ... but we can't run it anyway. My point is I hope we don't get caught napping by a couple of early long downfield throws.

the game was played in  Jan 15 of 06...     :thmup: 

I know that. They were still the 2005 Colts. I don't want to dwell on a technicality. But IMO the 05 Colts were a better team than the 06 ColtS.

We all knew what team we were talking about. It's the one that almost went undefeated and was around a 10 point favorite in that Steeler loss. I said 2006 Colts vs Steelers. I guess I should have put the word game after that and that would have avoided the confusion. 

We all knew what team we were talking about. It's the one that almost went undefeated and was around a 10 point favorite in that Steeler loss. I said 2006 Colts vs Steelers. I guess I should have put the word game after that and that would have avoided the confusion.

I don't care about that. My point was that this Colts team doesn't compare to the 05 team, and the game doesn't either.

We destroyed the Steelers in the regular season and had the bye for the playoffs. Big favorite in the game. The Dungy tragedy changed everything.

This game reminds me more like last season. We destroyed the Chiefs in the regular season. It took an historical comeback to beat them in the playoffs. TBH, I don't have a good feeling about tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong.

Where in this thread was the debate brought up between WHICH team was better?  05 or 06?

Read the OP'ers post...      Most of us know EXACTLY what game dude is talking about.

JEEZZZZ

I know that. They were still the 2005 Colts. I don't want to dwell on a technicality. But IMO the 05 Colts were a better team than the 06 ColtS.

I don't care about that. My point was that this Colts team doesn't compare to the 05 team, and the game doesn't either.

We destroyed the Steelers in the regular season and had the bye for the playoffs. Big favorite in the game. The Dungy tragedy changed everything.

This game reminds me more like last season. We destroyed the Chiefs in the regular season. It took an historical comeback to beat them in the playoffs. TBH, I don't have a good feeling about tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong.

naaaa... just go gather all the money you can afford to lose and give the 3.5.

Where in this thread was the debate brought up between WHICH team was better?  05 or 06?

Read the OP'ers post...      Most of us know EXACTLY what game dude is talking about.

JEEZZZZ

Try reading my post directly above yours, maybe you'll understand my point. I can't be much clearer.

Read YOUR first couple posts   ..    OK...     I mean damn ..    What T F EVER. 

YOU jumped into a thread you had NO clue what the topic was...     

Go Colts...

You really read my post and came to that conclusion? Can I sum them up without upsetting you?

05 Colts (which the OP meant to say in the title) was, IMHO the best of the Manning era. I didn't agree with the comparison of this game to the Steelers game because of that. We were big favorites then.

I thought it was more like last seasons playoff. A couple of average teams in a near pick-em game.

Sorry if you had problems following my logic.

You really read my post and came to that conclusion? Can I sum them up without upsetting you?

05 Colts (which the OP meant to say in the title) was, IMHO the best of the Manning era. I didn't agree with the comparison of this game to the Steelers game because of that. We were big favorites then.

I thought it was more like last seasons playoff. A couple of average teams in a near pick-em game.

Sorry if you had problems following my logic.

I was citing the 2006 game not the team.

I never said the games were similar the way you describe. I said Pitt was expected to run the ball and Cowher crossed Dungy up by throwing early and often . My point was Cinn is expected to just pound the football tomorrow and if Lewis tries what Cowher did , I hope pagano and staff do better adjusting than Dundy and crew did back then. 

I also said..."We all knew what team we were talking about. It's the one that almost went undefeated and was around a 10 point favorite in that Steeler loss. "

I was citing the 2006 game not the team.

I never said the games were similar the way you describe. I said Pitt was expected to run the ball and Cowher crossed Dungy up by throwing early and often . My point was Cinn is expected to just pound the football tomorrow and if Lewis tries what Cowher did , I hope pagano and staff do better adjusting than Dundy and crew did back then. 

I also said..."We all knew what team we were talking about. It's the one that almost went undefeated and was around a 10 point favorite in that Steeler loss. "

Jeez, let's bury this. I get what you're saying, I get the game was played in 06.

Yes, everyone thinks Cincy can't throw, and that would be the surprise. If you remember, the big surprise against the Steelers was the pressure they put on Peyton. And we never adjusted for it, you're 100% right about that! That still ticks me off. And then there was Vanderjact...

Jeez, let's bury this. I get what you're saying, I get the game was played in 06.

Yes, everyone thinks Cincy can't throw, and that would be the surprise. If you remember, the big surprise against the Steelers was the pressure they put on Peyton. And we never adjusted for it, you're 100% right about that! That still ticks me off. And then there was Vanderjact...

Let's be honest , we laid a huge egg. Never adjusted to Ben throwing 19 times in the first half ( they just tried to kill the clock in the 2nd half), never adjusted to the blitzes they threw at Manning. We trailed 21-3 going into the last quarter and if not for the crazy "non int" call and that Bettis fumble , we really were never even in the game.  Best to just put that mess behind us again

That was the worst loss in my history of following the Colts. Worse than the Saints SB, which was close but at least we'd made it to the big game.

The 2005 team was so strong and had balance on offense and a good D....then Dungy's son died. That, IMO, just took the wind out of the sails of that team. Then, as stated, the Steelers came out throwing. A team we had dominated just over a month prior....knocked us on our butts until very late. I'll never forget Harper not just running to the sideline....sure TD and game over. Then Manning taking two deep shots instead of shorter passes to set up a more makeable FG, or move the chains. I don't blame Vandy as much as others, bc that should have been a shorter kick. But he still shanked it badly, horribly. I honestly think if we escaped that game, we wake up and go on to win the SB. What could have been!

Let's be honest , we laid a huge egg. Never adjusted to Ben throwing 19 times in the first half ( they just tried to kill the clock in the 2nd half), never adjusted to the blitzes they threw at Manning. We trailed 21-3 going into the last quarter and if not for the crazy "non int" call and that Bettis fumble , we really were never even in the game.  Best to just put that mess behind us again

Yep. I was almost physically sick after that game. We should have glided through the SB with that team.

I know there's more important things than football, and Dungy son dying in that manner had to affect the entire team. But how do you not adjust for the blitz? We were given the gift of the bad call at the end and still couldn't do it. And the Ben tackle???

One more thing and I'll quit. Remember the play before the missed FG? It was an incomplete pass, when we should have run Edge to get a little closer. Fate was against us.

Pittsburg ran the ball 42 times for 112 yards against Indy that day. Timely passing on 3rd down (4 for 6), and 4th down (2 for 2) killed INDY,. Heath Miller was huge too... he was just HUGE.

Indy's O just did not get going until it was too late. Indy 1 for 6 on 3rd down. Pittsburg played great. But they did not POUND the ball down Indy's D. 3rd down passing killed Indy.

Oh and I won't ever go into Harper's lack of speed or Vandy totally choking ... This is without question my worst memory as a Colt fan. But the following season make the journey well worth it.....

That 05 team tho. We really should have had 2 SB in a row.