Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

these playoff seedings are confusing

CR91

Then you the Falcons as 4th with a 5-7 record . I know it's because they are winning the division but should a below .500 team make it while much better teams watch the playoffs from home .

I agree.

I think it will take something like this, (a team with a below .500 record) to make the playoffs while other teams with  much better records are sitting at home, to make a change in the playoff seeding process.

Here are the tie breakers for seeding. . . not the same as tie breakers within the division.  Division record doesn't matter with seeding.

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss

What are the common games they have played?

the seahawks are currently the 5th seed even though the lions have the same conference record and a better division record and the cowboys beat the seahawks yet their on the outside looking in

This explains it really well:

Head-to-head wins only come into play in a three-team tie if one of the teams beat both of the other two (or if one team lost to the other two) or if at least two of the three tied teams play in the same division.

Since Dallas doesn't have a win over Detroit and is not in the same division as Seattle, the tiebreaker is conference win percentage.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/2nn39p/why_are_the_seahawks_ahead_of_the_cowboys_in_the/

The tiebreaking formula resets after each team gets eliminated. There are 3 teams tied at 8-4: DAL, DET, SEA

Three or More Clubs System: DAL, DET, SEA.

Step 1) Apply Divisional Tiebreaking Formula: N/A, All are separate.

Step 2) H2H Sweep: N/A. DET will not play either DAL or SEA.

Step 3) Conference Win %. DAL eliminated (5-4, 6-2, 6-2)

Two Clubs System: DET, SEA.

Step 1) Divisional Tiebreak: N/A

Step 2) H2H Win% : N/A

Step 3) Win% Conference: Tie.

Step 4) Win% Common. SEA ( 4-0 ), DET (2-2), 1 remaining common.

Seeding based on Tiebreaking formula:

5 SEA 6 DET 7 DAL

Getting to beat Arizona twice, having gotten them later in the year, works in favor of Seattle vs the Lions and Cowboys, who have lost to the Cardinals. Cardinals, Panthers, Packers, Giants are 4 common opponents for Seahawks and Lions. Lions lost to Cardinals and Panthers. Seattle has beaten all of them.

The best thing for the Cowboys is to beat the Eagles on the road to get to 10-4 and push the Eagles to 9-5 thus getting to the #3 seed and let the Seahawks, Eagles, Lions battle it out for the #5 and #6 seeds. If Seattle wins out and the Cowboys win out, and the Packers win out (taking care of Lions in the last game), then Seattle and Cowboys will have same record and Lions will be 11-5 while Seattle and Cowboys will be 12-4 where the Cowboys-Seahawks H2H will matter.

Then you the Falcons as 4th with a 5-7 record . I know it's because they are winning the division but should a below .500 team make it while much better teams watch the playoffs from home .

But everyone likes the Falcons so they shouldn't have a problem with their favorite NFC Suck team making it into the playoffs to lay down and get blown out.

The Seahaws a few years back. There was talk about it then, as I recall.

I think that his year may add to that discussion. I think that it should -- just not sure of the best way to proceed, however.

It the owners. Division champs will always get a playoff an a home game. They owners are steadfast in this and it's not changing. That's why division titles do matter.

the seahawks are currently the 5th seed even though the lions have the same conference record and a better division record and the cowboys beat the seahawks yet their on the outside looking in

Even though the Seahawks aren't even leading their division right now they are in great shape to get a high seed if they win their final three games and they'll be favored in all of them. They've beaten the Packers, Eagles, and Cardinals and have the tie breakers over the Lions so the worst they can do is the #3 seed and that's only if the Packers and Cowboys also win out. I can see the Packers doing that but not the Cowboys. The Seahawks have a good shot at the #1 or #2 seed.

AFC Tiebreakers

1st Seed - New England

AFC East Champ

Wins tie break over Denver based on head-to-head win percentage.

5th Seed - Pittsburgh

Wins tie break over San Diego based on best win percentage in conference games. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate Baltimore (Pittsburgh wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in division games).

6th Seed - San Diego

Wins tie break over Baltimore based on head-to-head win percentage.

NFC Tiebreakers

3rd Seed - Philadelphia

NFC East Champ (Wins tie break over Dallas based on head-to-head win percentage.)

5th Seed - Seattle

Wins tie break over Detroit based on best win percentage in common games. Wins tie break over Dallas based on best win percentage in conference games.

6th Seed - Detroit

Wins tie break over Dallas based on best win percentage in conference games

Just go to the playoff machine and click the tiebreaker link in the upper right.

didn't the colts go on the road & lose to a 7-9 chargers division winning team? i worry the nfc south will force a change in the nfl's playoff seeding system, but i hope it never happens

the nice thing about the nfl is that winning your division is EVERYTHING. it makes the rivalries that much better. divisions in the NBA are all but neglected because the seeding system is based solely on wins & losses

didn't the colts go on the road & lose to a 7-9 chargers division winning team? i worry the nfc south will force a change in the nfl's playoff seeding system, but i hope it never happens

the nice thing about the nfl is that winning your division is EVERYTHING. it makes the rivalries that much better. divisions in the NBA are all but neglected because the seeding system is based solely on wins & losses

I think the chargers were 8-8 that year from what I recall . . . and yes to make divisions matter is important . . . I like the way it is set up . . . yah one will get a bad year here and there but for the most part the division winners will have 10 wins + most of the time . . .

Yes...if the much better teams did not win their division.

You play division foes twice..so your No.1 regular season goal is to win that division.

Don't reward 2nd place teams