Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nevis To Ir

IndyTrav

Hard to tell..Tony..this was just his first year..

I dont think he was injury prone in college..

But we drafted 3 college stars in the 1st 3 rounds..and two are on IR...

we sure didnt get to see much of them this year

The Nevis kid was registered to be 294 lbs and he told people at the draft that he had put on weight, and when he appeared on the field he looked way overweighted and I was worried how his legs/knees could sustain. If the team needs a DT to stuff the run, go get a real one please and don't try to put on extra weight to your players with smaller frame.

For the team as a whole you are right. However for the individual player your wrong. Working harder in the weight room keeps you on the field. Its not a fluke that the greats like Jim Brown, Rice, Manning, Ray Lewis etc...dont miss many games in their career. There is a myth that injuries are inevitable. But its false, they should be approached with the idea that if you got injured then you didnt work hard enough.

Funny you should bring up those names and of the two active both are hurt and out right now.

For the team as a whole you are right. However for the individual player your wrong. Working harder in the weight room keeps you on the field. Its not a fluke that the greats like Jim Brown, Rice, Manning, Ray Lewis etc...dont miss many games in their career. There is a myth that injuries are inevitable. But its false, they should be approached with the idea that if you got injured then you didnt work hard enough.

So was Peyton just slacking off this offseason?

Do you think Bob Sanders didnt work hard enough?

I would have to say no he didnt. Or maybe he worked to hard. I never saw him workout so I wouldnt know, but you dont miss that many games without doing something wrong in the off season. Could be bad luck in there as well but again, bad luck is if it happens once or twice not every year but 1.

I would have to say no he didnt. Or maybe he worked to hard. I never saw him workout so I wouldnt know, but you dont miss that many games without doing something wrong in the off season. Could be bad luck in there as well but again, bad luck is if it happens once or twice not every year but 1.

Gary Brackett is one of the hardest-working players on our team, but he's injured every year. Injuries COULD be the results of a lack of effort, but more commonly they're just flukes or people over-exerting their bodies.

The Nevis kid was registered to be 294 lbs and he told people at the draft that he had put on weight, and when he appeared on the field he looked way overweighted and I was worried how his legs/knees could sustain. If the team needs a DT to stuff the run, go get a real one please and don't try to put on extra weight to your players with smaller frame.

Nevis is the real deal you dont know what your talking about.

You should see his combine workout and 40 yard dash. He didnt look overweight, but didnt look chiseled either. The kids fine. He looked, from earlier this year, like he has potential to be pretty darn good

Nevis is the real deal you dont know what your talking about.

Yea, after the 5 games we saw him in this year.

I love this garbage. "Nevis/Illjiana looked good this year." Bull poopy. Where these thoughts come from I have zero idea. 2/3 of our rookies this year will be rookies next year too. Its not a bad thing to support your team, but my goodness its to the point where we are giving away accolades.

Nevis's 8 tackles really set him up to be the savior of Indy.

Yea, after the 5 games we saw him in this year.

I love this garbage. "Nevis/Illjiana looked good this year." Bull poopy. Where these thoughts come from I have zero idea. 2/3 of our rookies this year will be rookies next year too. Its not a bad thing to support your team, but my goodness its to the point where we are giving away accolades.

Nevis's 8 tackles really set him up to be the savior of Indy.

Here is the thing I would agree with you about Ijalana we didn't see nearly enough of him to know. He did well for getting thrown into a hard spot but that's all you can say about him. Remember the Bucs aren't exactly the best pass rushing team in the NFL and they hadn't game planned for Ijalana either, normally in those situations it's the rookie that has the advantage at first till teams figure out how to attack him. We need to see much more of Ijalana than what really a half of football to know about him.

As for Nevis though, it's pretty clear if you watch him he's been our best DT this year in the games he's played. He might have only had 8 tackles but when he was there he often got a push from the middle which is something that very rare for any of other DTs to do. Nevis looks to be a guy we can build around. With that said, I think it is going a little over the top to make him out to be a super star like some do. With that said Nevis did have a very good start to his rookie season and I am excited to see more of him next season.

Here is the thing I would agree with you about Ijalana we didn't see nearly enough of him to know. He did well for getting thrown into a hard spot but that's all you can say about him. Remember the Bucs aren't exactly the best pass rushing team in the NFL and they hadn't game planned for Ijalana either, normally in those situations it's the rookie that has the advantage at first till teams figure out how to attack him. We need to see much more of Ijalana than what really a half of football to know about him.

As for Nevis though, it's pretty clear if you watch him he's been our best DT this year in the games he's played. He might have only had 8 tackles but when he was there he often got a push from the middle which is something that very rare for any of other DTs to do. Nevis looks to be a guy we can build around. With that said, I think it is going a little over the top to make him out to be a super star like some do. With that said Nevis did have a very good start to his rookie season and I am excited to see more of him next season.

Im not, not excited about Nevis, but the tout he gets around here is absurd. Saying hes the best DT on this team isn't saying a darn thing. Just because we've upgraded from a bicycle to a scooter doesnt mean we are ready for the race track. Im not disagreeing that Nevis LOOKS to be like a guy you could build around, but so do about a 150 players coming out in the draft. Nevis and Illjilanas rookie years were both worthless from a playing stand point. And depending on what our team does in the off-season, scheming wise may have been a waste too. We know nothing more about Nevis and Illjulana now, than we did they day they drafted them.

Im not, not excited about Nevis, but the tout he gets around here is absurd. Saying hes the best DT on this team isn't saying a darn thing. Just because we've upgraded from a bicycle to a scooter doesnt mean we are ready for the race track. Im not disagreeing that Nevis LOOKS to be like a guy you could build around, but so do about a 150 players coming out in the draft. Nevis and Illjilanas rookie years were both worthless from a playing stand point. And depending on what our team does in the off-season, scheming wise may have been a waste too. We know nothing more about Nevis and Illjulana now, than we did they day they drafted them.

Ijalana yes, Nevis no. Nevis played several games to get a fair read on him and he had a chance to learn things. Ijalana not so much because you can only take so much away from playing a half of football and that half of football didn't even come at the poistion you want him to play.

Nevis is a player. He's gonna be really good. I don't care if he doesn't get a single tackle (interior linemen sometimes don't make a lot of tackles, but are very disruptive. Suh is averaging 2.75 tackles a game. Nevis was averaging 3.8. Doesn't matter. You can tell by watching a defensive tackle whether he's a foundational type of linemen or just a rotational type of guy. Nevis is definitely the former, and that's not based on what he did at the Combine or in college. It's based on the way he played in the five games he was active in this year.

The jury is very much out on everyone else. Ijalana, Castonzo, Rucker, Carter... can't be sure that any of them will or won't be good players moving forward. But Nevis is obviously a stud. If you want to be a bit more conservative in your assessment, I don't blame you. But I feel pretty comfortable crowning him after just five games and 19 tackles. Dude is a player.

We know nothing more about Nevis and Illjulana now, than we did they day they drafted them.

Then you really don't know what your looking at. From watching the pre-season through the game he got hurt, it was obvious that he can/will be anything from a solid contributor to a pro-bowl level player. Because his season was cut short due to injury doesn't take away from what he did.

As far as the "only 8 tackles" his job isn't to get a lot of tackles as much as it is to penatrate and disrupt, both of which he did fairly consistantly, especially for a rookie.

I agree that people are enshrining him in Canton a bit prematuraly but any objective evaluation of his play should, at the very least, foster some optimism.

I agree that people are enshrining him in Canton a bit prematuraly but any objective evaluation of his play should, at the very least, foster some optimism.

I DO have optimism, I even said as much. Perhaps Im not explaining myself, as I hear it in my head. I look at it like this:

When AC was drafted I thought to myself: "He can be a good player"

After watching AC this year: "Hes on his way to becoming a good player"

When Drake Nevis was drafted: "He can be a good player"

After watching Drake this year: "He can be a good player"

Did he look good in his very limited time? He sure did. But thats just what it was, very limited time, against a Hou team, an injured Pitt OL, and bad Jax/Clev/TB teams.

And Im not soley laying this on you, but your preseason comment brought it back to my mind; If we admittedly don't play to win the games(preseason), how can we accurately judge our teams/players performances?