Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nevis To Ir

IndyTrav

I think teams are finding out how valuable off season stuff is because the league is getting ravaged with injuries this season.

Stop making feeble excuses. Lets face it, the Colts draft brittle players and our strength and conditioning program appears lacking. Injuries happen to all teams but the Colts seem to have more. Why? There is no way in heck that bad luck can be a scapegoat for all our injuries.

I think teams are finding out how valuable off season stuff is because the league is getting ravaged with injuries this season.

This for the most part I agree with. It also is on the players to get or stay in shape, but the offseason workouts do help.

Stop making feeble excuses. Lets face it, the Colts draft brittle players and our strength and conditioning program appears lacking. Injuries happen to all teams but the Colts seem to have more. Why? There is no way in heck that bad luck can be a scapegoat for all our injuries.

I don't think you comprehended what he said...He is not just talking about the Colts. He is talking about the league as a whole. Colts seem to have more, because we watch them constantly and focus on them. I'm sure if we all looked at other teams injury reports and people who are on IR, that we would find some teams have more injuries than we do.

Guys like AC never had and injury history, its just now coming to the colts that there has been this situaton... i do agree on the strength on conditioning side but those players the colts recently drafted arent brittle players at all, not even close..

They knew it, they were saying back when the deal was reached we were going to see more injuries this year because of the lack of the off-season programs.

JMV said that the Colts lead the NFL in players missing time with a combined 83 games total, 2nd place was Carolina with 80 and the 3rd place team (forget who) had 63....that's a BIG disparity. Part of it is smaller players on D, but I am beginning to doubt the strength/conditioning program the Colts have in place. It wasn't much of an issue until the last few years, sure there were players hurt but not to this degree. What has changed? Age isn't a factor with young guys like Nevis and Powers going out, and Costanzo missing a bunch of time...

They knew it, they were saying back when the deal was reached we were going to see more injuries this year because of the lack of the off-season programs.

Early in the season, yes that was an issue. But it's week 13. Guys have had plenty of time to get into shape. And the injuries we're seeing aren't conditioning related (broken bones, torn ligaments)

JMV said that the Colts lead the NFL in players missing time with a combined 83 games total, 2nd place was Carolina with 80 and the 3rd place team (forget who) had 63....that's a BIG disparity. Part of it is smaller players on D, but I am beginning to doubt the strength/conditioning program the Colts have in place. It wasn't much of an issue until the last few years, sure there were players hurt but not to this degree. What has changed? Age isn't a factor with young guys like Nevis and Powers going out, and Costanzo missing a bunch of time...

I think it has more to do with the fact we still have one of the smallest teams in the NFL. This is what happenes when you have a small team. They get beat up. We also have our fair share of injury prone players it seems and I am not sure how much the Colts coaches can do about that.

Early in the season, yes that was an issue. But it's week 13. Guys have had plenty of time to get into shape. And the injuries we're seeing aren't conditioning related (broken bones, torn ligaments)

They said it was going to be an issue all season long. I am just passing along what I heard from the people who for places like ESPN and have you know played in the NFL. If you disagree with them take it up with them.

The big boys get injured too, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Last season the Colts ranked 2nd in the "games missed to starters injured" stat. Number 1 was Green Bay.

I still cannot get the pre season game between Indy and GB last season out of my mind. They just oozzed with talent through 4 quarters. Indy.... could barely keep up with Manning in the game, in pre season.

This organization is at a crossroads. It is time for Irsay to make some HUGE decisions. And personally, I don't want anyone but Manning being left behind.... And if he is NOT healthy??

Time for a clean sweep.

How so? Injuries are in fact preventable.

No they are not... injuries happen playing with your dog. But, the thing I am sick of with the Colts for going on .... A LOT of years is this culture of "accepting it" ... darnit, if you can walk, you can play"

And it is always he same old suspects... With the exception of Nevis, and "MAYBE" Powers... I am cutting everyone on the injury list tomorrow.

I mean darn....... It is every single season since the SB win.

And this team has a "really bad habit of paying" the injury report slugs.

Jeez.... ...

And how in fact are injuries preventable in the NFL? The league has went totally as far as it can protecting the O.

If you played even pee wee FB you would know..... the human body is NOT designed to withstand a full contact sport like Pro Football.

Very hard on a human body.

And how in fact are injuries preventable in the NFL? The league has went totally as far as it can protecting the O.

If you played even pee wee FB you would know..... the human body is NOT designed to withstand a full contact sport like Pro Football.

Very hard on a human body.

mmm, the injuries have been tricky ones, few hammys, but couple of shoulders, couple of knees, back, its like colts are anti ligament or something. Maybe pumping too much iron for their small bodies? You have to agree with that on Sanders, he prob twinged those bicep tendons in the weight room and never said anything, then goes down soft as, when really it happened when he was trying to curl 100kgs or something!

His tail bone is messed up. It's late season stuff. Guys are going on IR if they get hurt from here on out.

U just may be right, why risk aggravating to a worse state , Ravens, & Texans back will have it even easier now & if CJ gets free as well as MJD , well, all we play are teams with great runners

& will angerer play if he does it might void your thesis

Some are, some aren't

Trauma injuries (you know, where something hits you) are not preventable. Neither are injuries where body parts get twisted in ways they aren't supposed to be twisted.

Fatigue injuries are preventable. But almost all of our injuries this year (and last year) are of the trauma variety.

Which means that it's just simply been bad luck.

i dunno, how to people come back from getting injured joints, strengthen the area, so if the area hasnt been properly worked on in moderation with the rest, then its a weaker point, the offseason could have contributed, players not doing what they normally do, as in the exact workouts, rather than just keeping the routine.

But in saying that, look at marcus dupree, who took a heap of hits, wasnt until he came to the nfl that he got injured, and he said he knew it was coming, so i guess it could be a mixture of small bodys mixed with trying to get bigger and not conditioning evenly... and also just hit in the exact spot. was a bit weird seeing two shoulder injuries in quick succession though

Have you guys felt Nevis just cannot stay healthy? My feeling after watching his several games is that the guy sure has the heart, and he looks pretty big but it looks like too much weight on a relatively small frame. I personally don't see him getting through the whole season since it just looks like a matter of time for sth. to go wrong.

Let's continue to chalk it up to bad luck. darn, we have the worst luck.

This is not just about luck. Every team has issues and we are not the worst. Texans are having devastating injuries while they are still finding ways to win. No excuse.

On the other hand, if you draft a 6'1 DL with over 310lb weight and hope he does not injure himself when playing lights out, well, you must be really lucky to see that happen.

No they are not...

For the team as a whole you are right. However for the individual player your wrong. Working harder in the weight room keeps you on the field. Its not a fluke that the greats like Jim Brown, Rice, Manning, Ray Lewis etc...dont miss many games in their career. There is a myth that injuries are inevitable. But its false, they should be approached with the idea that if you got injured then you didnt work hard enough.

Have you guys felt Nevis just cannot stay healthy? My feeling after watching his several games is that the guy sure has the heart, and he looks pretty big but it looks like too much weight on a relatively small frame. I personally don't see him getting through the whole season since it just looks like a matter of time for sth. to go wrong.

Hard to tell..Tony..this was just his first year..

I dont think he was injury prone in college..

But we drafted 3 college stars in the 1st 3 rounds..and two are on IR...

we sure didnt get to see much of them this year

For the team as a whole you are right. However for the individual player your wrong. Working harder in the weight room keeps you on the field. Its not a fluke that the greats like Jim Brown, Rice, Manning, Ray Lewis etc...dont miss many games in their career. There is a myth that injuries are inevitable. But its false, they should be approached with the idea that if you got injured then you didnt work hard enough.

Do you think Bob Sanders didnt work hard enough?