Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Missing pieces

SteelCityColt

A fairly decent B/R article on what the Colts are missing that stops them being classed as a top team:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2265272-colts-still-a-year-away-from-breaking-through-the-afcs-glass-ceiling

For regular forum readers most of this has been discussed in here before but quite a well written piece with some good analysis.

Best section right here from the article: 

"Richardson, acquired to be the Colts' power back, gets a huge portion of his carries on first downs when the team is comfortably ahead against one of its weaker foes. It's the kind of role a Dan Herron could handle."

TR was brought in to generate tough yards between the tackles & he's not doing it. Look at Seattle. RB Lynch is a bruiser back with speed who can move the chains on the ground if QB RW is under duress. Lynch can overcome being down late in games points wise. Can TR do that? Heaven's no & if Bradshaw goes down for any reason INDY is toast. 

TR needs open space to generate yards & in December everything on the field tightens up with nothing to bounce outside. When Grigs signed him initially, I was okay with the trade. Now, it's looking like a bust to me or a move we never should have made. 

I also liked the shout out to pass rusher Werner because the kid works his tail off & he's improving as the season progresses. 

" Bjoern Werner (four sacks) is starting to win one-on-one matchups with blockers. A native German who got a late start in American football, Werner has potential he is just starting to tap." 

He's an awesome guy & I love that we have 2 teammates from Germany on the same squad. Nice! Talk about multicultural eh. Sounds a okay to me man. 

We are missing star power on the defensive unit. Vontae Davis is the only name most people would recognize other than Mathis who is out for the year. Upgrade the pass rush. Add another safety and defensive end and perhaps another inside linebacker who can cover and I'll be happy.

We have Arthur Jones he's star power but the damn injury won't go away

good article... I agree with the need for an PR to replace Mathis... and better CB/ S to go with Davis, but unless we get a staring PR in the first  like Beasley.. I feel our biggest need is a cover ILB... one that can cover Gronk and Graham... guy I have seen a little bit is Mckinney from Miss. St.  6'5" 240ilb and runs a 4.62 40... I like Perryman and Kendricks too, but don't know if their height 6'.0" would allow them to cover the Big TE's ... ...

wasn't happy with the 1st rnd pick for TR, but still in his rookie contact I say give him more time and look at getting a scat back and a T/G in the draft

every team has missing pieces. all the colts need is protect luck and we can live with our weak spots

I mean, I'm also a big advocate for the value of improving our O-line... But what a user name to comment relevance. haha

In all seriousness is it any coincidence that Romo is playing well this year and the Cowboys have the most stacked O-line in the NFL? No, it isn't. And it does even more for them in the run game than it does in passing.