Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver (-11 .5) @ Oakland (11-9-14)

oldunclemark

threw 5 ducks today...330 yards..in 3 quarters...sorry to disappoint you

He sure righted the ship in the second half.  The run game actually doing something helped.

Then again, Raiders.

This was a feel good game for Denver. Hard to say they've improved at anything VS a 0-9 team. (Run game, secondary, special teams)

is that why he is on the bench now?

If you closely watched the flow of the game, C.J.Anderson was running well and was healthy and he was not given enough carries.

If they really wanted to establish the running game, this was the game to do it with Peyton in the game with a 34-10 lead and all they kept doing was pass out of 3 or 4 WR formations. 3rd or 4th qtr. does not matter to me, especially since they were getting first downs and good YPC with the run game and chose to sideline it in favor of the pass. They could have gotten to 41-10 just as well with the run, that was my point.

He sure righted the ship in the second half.  The run game actually doing something helped.

Then again, Raiders

This was a feel good game for Denver. Hard to say they've improved at anything VS a 0-9 team. (Run game, secondary, special teams)

they don't have to get folks to say they've improved in the next few weeks...Just win baby!

If you closely watched the flow of the game, C.J.Anderson was running well and was healthy and he was not given enough carries.

If they really wanted to establish the running game, this was the game to do it with Peyton in the game with a 34-10 lead and all they kept doing was pass out of 3 or 4 WR formations. 3rd or 4th qtr. does not matter to me, especially since they were getting first downs and good YPC with the run game and chose to sideline it in favor of the pass. They could have gotten to 41-10 just as well with the run, that was my point.

They don't want to establish the rumn. They are not strong at RB ad the have a shuffled line

They just want to run enough so play action works..

they could not have gotten to 41-10 with the run.

If they really wanted to establish the running game, this was the game to do it with Peyton in the game with a 34-10 lead and all they kept doing was pass out of 3 or 4 WR formations. 3rd or 4th qtr. does not matter to me, especially since they were getting first downs and good YPC with the run game and chose to sideline it in favor of the pass. They could have gotten to 41-10 just as well with the run, that was my point.

Your point was he is all about his stats. If he was, why didn't he play at all in the fourth quarter?

They don't want to establish the rumn. They are not strong at RB ad the have a shuffled line

They just want to run enough so play action works..

they could not have gotten to 41-10 with the run.

You don't know that till you try it and in a feel good game vs the Raiders, that is exactly what you try to do. I disagree. The shuffled line was blocking just fine for a healthy YPC and the Raiders' D was gassed with being on the field too much, perfect time to continue doing that.

You don't know that till you try it and in a feel good game vs the Raiders, that is exactly what you try to do. I disagree. The shuffled line was blocking just fine for a healthy YPC and the Raiders' D was gassed with being on the field too much, perfect time to continue doing that.

they neither want nor need to try it.....they are mnot a running team and wont be until the old Cowboy buys the farm

....This is what they are,.,.pass..pass..pass

the Denver formula they are using is 35-10 the last 2 years........Teams want them to run and dare them to run and if they take the dare, they beat themselves..

You know that, right?

Denver didn't look good early. They need to come out the gate and step on peoples throat. They had a similar start against Seattle and New England and we see how those games ended up. Coming out slowly today against a rookie qb and lets be honest a pretty pathetic team won't hurt them. They pull this stunt with KC or SD in a couple weeks they won't be able to come back.

Honestly, I think that is why they passed so much. Yes it is their identity but its also about keeping the tempo upbeat and getting a good rythem...thats why they stuck with the pass in the third. I do think they HAVE to run the ball much better. Last year Moreno kept the defense honest and even if Peyton carried them in the playoffs they still had a decent run game. If they come into the playoffs with no run game....they will be ripe for the pickings. Peyton will run the ball...he has proven that...but he doesn't like to be behind the sticks on 2nd and 3rd and long....and right now he trusts those short pass plays more than 4 yd runs.

Denver didn't look good early. They need to come out the gate and step on peoples throat. They had a similar start against Seattle and New England and we see how those games ended up. Coming out slowly today against a rookie qb and lets be honest a pretty pathetic team won't hurt them. They pull this stunt with KC or SD in a couple weeks they won't be able to come back.

Honestly, I think that is why they passed so much. Yes it is their identity but its also about keeping the tempo upbeat and getting a good rythem...thats why they stuck with the pass in the third. I do think they HAVE to run the ball much better. Last year Moreno kept the defense honest and even if Peyton carried them in the playoffs they still had a decent run game. If they come into the playoffs with no run game....they will be ripe for the pickings. Peyton will run the ball...he has proven that...but he doesn't like to be behind the sticks on 2nd and 3rd and long....and right now he trusts those short pass plays more than 4 yd runs.

We continue to debate what Denver should be ignoring what they are.

They aren't built to run the ball...

they run to fool you and pass to school you. How Denver doen the last 3 years throwing 40 times a game.

How have the Colts don this year throwing 40 times a game?

Denver does NOT have to run the ball for more than 100 yards a game. They are built to throw..like Indy is.

We need to accept that and not wish for some semblance of 1980s balance.

It'd be nice to come out the gate with two touchdown drives, but it's not needed.  There's a reason football games are four quarters.  They still dominated during a 20 minute stretch.  There hasn't been a single championship team in recent years that's come out the gates firing on all cylinders for every single game.  In fact, every championship team has been in tight close games (some where they have won and others where they lost) and they all have had moments in the regular season where they just looked awful.

In the playoffs, it's all about luck and getting hot (which is good for the colts I guess since they already have Luck :thmup:).  In the regular season, it's all about staying healthy and doing just enough to win at least 10 games.  You don't have to dominate every game to be a SB winner.  Every game is different and in the playoffs, the past is just that - the past.

We continue to debate what Denver should be ignoring what they are.

They aren't built to run the ball...

they run to fool you and pass to school you. How Denver doen the last 3 years throwing 40 times a game.

How have the Colts don this year throwing 40 times a game?

Denver does NOT have to run the ball for more than 100 yards a game. They are built to throw..like Indy is.

We need to accept that and not wish for some semblance of 1980s balance.

It isn't that they need to run the ball...but balance is important...do you think if they could have ran against Seattle that might have helped in that SB? It slows the pass rush....sets up play action...if they have to play like they did in NE it limits how they can win. Its about being able to win ball games differently. What if the game is in NE and its rainy and windy in January. Can they win a game like that throwing?? Probably not...and if they have no running game to fall back on.....ouch! It also helps to run successfully to milk the clock and burn out games.....like we did against Baltimore in 06. It doesn't need to be their identity...I hear ya...but they need to be able to show some competancy.

It'd be nice to come out the gate with two touchdown drives, but it's not needed.  There's a reason football games are four quarters.  They still dominated during a 20 minute stretch.  There hasn't been a single championship team in recent years that's come out the gates firing on all cylinders for every single game.  In fact, every championship team has been in tight close games (some where they have won and others where they lost) and they all have had moments in the regular season where they just looked awful.

In the playoffs, it's all about luck and getting hot (which is good for the colts I guess since they already have Luck :thmup:).  In the regular season, it's all about staying healthy and doing just enough to win at least 10 games.  You don't have to dominate every game to be a SB winner.  Every game is different and in the playoffs, the past is just that - the past.

Oh definately not. That said slow starts against good teams will hurt you...it gets you totally off your gameplan. They don't have to blow out everyone...it rarely happens but Denver really hasn't played 4 good qtrs of football much this year....those turnovers and most importantly those false starts and penalties that get them in long yardage situations really hurt that offense. Playing a good clean game can be habit forming....they need to start building those habits for the post season. If you start thinking your going to cruise you see how fast that gets beat out of you.....hello NE.

Oh definately not. That said slow starts against good teams will hurt you...it gets you totally off your gameplan. They don't have to blow out everyone...it rarely happens but Denver really hasn't played 4 good qtrs of football much this year....those turnovers and most importantly those false starts and penalties that get them in long yardage situations really hurt that offense. Playing a good clean game can be habit forming....they need to start building those habits for the post season. If you start thinking your going to cruise you see how fast that gets beat out of you.....hello NE.

Okay, I think I get what your saying. Initially I thought you sounded like you were one of those fans who want to see perfection every week and if it isn't there, then the win isn't any good. As long as colts win by one next week, I'll be a happy camper, even if it's an "ugly" win.

I completely agree with your good habit forming part. The penalties, especially the false starts need to stop for Denver. To be fair, they did do massive o-line reshuffling (I can't actually recall any contender having ever changed up 60% of their o-line after the midway point). But those penalties have been there all year. The increased pressure on Peyton early in the game, and him just being somewhat off, were the reasons for the slow start imo.