Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Rookie Fullback Ryan Mahaffey, Waive Cb Morgan Trent

bayone

Fullback Ryan Mahaffey to their active roster from the Baltimore Ravens practice squad.

Mahaffey (6-4, 262) an undrafted free agent

in 51 games at Northern Iowa as a TE & RB and recorded 28 receptions for 251 yards and six touchdowns.

Mahaffey fills the roster spot vacated by cornerback Morgan Trent, who was waived Tuesday.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111116/SPORTS03/111116023/Colts-sign-rookie-fullback-Ryan-Mahaffey?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

Would have rather kept Trent and released Lacey. Trent is a bigger DB. At least we are signing a FB with good size.

So would I. Lacey is the worst DB on a team of awful DBs. I don't know why he is still on the team. Perhaps Bill Polian don't want to admit to signing yet another bust so he keeps him around for ego reasons. I just wish Caldwell came back to reality for just a little while and got rid of Lacey.

So would I. Lacey is the worst DB on a team of awful DBs. I don't know why he is still on the team. Perhaps Bill Polian don't want to admit to signing yet another bust so he keeps him around for ego reasons. I just wish Caldwell came back to reality for just a little while and got rid of Lacey.

Talk about a knee jerk response. Considering the fact that Lacey was an undrafted free agent who came out of nowhere to be a major asset as a rookie in 2009 - including starting 9 games, the AFC championship, and the Super Bowl, it is nothing less that bizarre to attribute his presence on the roster to Polian's ego. Lacey was an even less significant pickup than Trent when he was acquired. The fact that Trent is gone and Lacey is still here is likely an indication of their respective abilities, and nothing more.

A little more common sense and lot less blind hatred would nice.

So would I. Lacey is the worst DB on a team of awful DBs. I don't know why he is still on the team.

Perhaps Bill Polian don't want to admit to signing yet another bust so he keeps him around for ego reasons.

I just wish Caldwell came back to reality for just a little while and got rid of Lacey.

Wasn't Trent a Bill Signing too?

Lacey, an UDFA can hardly be called a bust no matter how bad he is playing. Now, if you want to say " why is he playing rather than Hayden or Tryon who Polian got rid of" then you would have an agrument. The good news is, I see Thomas getting more and more time in front of Lacey as time goes on.

Talk about a knee jerk response. Considering the fact that Lacey was an undrafted free agent who came out of nowhere to be a major asset as a rookie in 2009 - including starting 9 games, the AFC championship, and the Super Bowl, it is nothing less that bizarre to attribute his presence on the roster to Polian's ego. Lacey was an even less significant pickup than Trent when he was acquired. The fact that Trent is gone and Lacey is still here is likely an indication of their respective abilities, and nothing more.

Talk about a knee jerk response. Lacey is a bust no matter how you sugar coat it. When teams decided to pick on him it just exposed his weaknesses. His cornerback play was worse than a high school amateur hour. He has been exposed as not having the most basic cover skills needed for a DB. He was so bad that Caldwell actually took him out and put in a player who had never played an NFL down in his career. And the DB play actually improved. Polian is the kind of GM that will have the team suffer rather than admit he has made a mistake and he knows he can count on the "I only know Polian as the GM and he is incapable of making mistakes" apologist to try to explain his increasingly bizarre actions. Polian appears to have a cult like following amongst some of the fans, and like a cult, they tend to believe only what the leader says, irrespective of reality.

A little more objective perspective and common sense coupled with a few less tokes from the Polian pipe would be a welcome change.

Talk about a knee jerk response. Lacey is a bust no matter how you sugar coat it. When teams decided to pick on him it just exposed his weaknesses. His cornerback play was worse than a high school amateur hour. He has been exposed as not having the most basic cover skills needed for a DB. He was so bad that Caldwell actually took him out and put in a player who had never played an NFL down in his career. And the DB play actually improved. Polian is the kind of GM that will have the team suffer rather than admit he has made a mistake and he knows he can count on the "I only know Polian as the GM and he is incapable of making mistakes" apologist to try to explain his increasingly bizarre actions. Polian appears to have a cult like following amongst some of the fans, and like a cult, they tend to believe only what the leader says, irrespective of reality.

A little more objective perspective and common sense coupled with a few less tokes from the Polian pipe would be a welcome change.

UH...let me put this lightly...Lacey is a joke that couldn't cover my grandma.

Polian is the kind of GM that will have the team suffer rather than admit he has made a mistake and he knows he can count on the "I only know Polian as the GM and he is incapable of making mistakes" apologist to try to explain his increasingly bizarre actions. Polian appears to have a cult like following amongst some of the fans, and like a cult, they tend to believe only what the leader says, irrespective of reality.

Wow, you have me all figured out! I hope nobody gave you the secret password. I'd love to stay and argue until you are blue in the face, but I must go (back to reality) and warn the other members.

My common sense says Lacey is gabage and should be cut. I judge with what I see on the field of play, not what he did or didn't do 2 years ago. Whether it is Polian's ego keeping him is purely speculation, but I can see why some would think that. And why some wouldn't. People can have opinions based on their own logic, it doesn't have to be down to hatred.....

My common sense says Lacey is gabage and should be cut. I judge with what I see on the field of play, not what he did or didn't do 2 years ago. Whether it is Polian's ego keeping him is purely speculation, but I can see why some would think that. And why some wouldn't. People can have opinions based on their own logic, it doesn't have to be down to hatred.....

I have no idea why Lacey has slipped, and I have no problems with the thought of him being cut when they get someone better. That really wasn't the reason for my response.

Look at it this way, Lacey was replaced by Thomas - a third round draft pick. Endless Polian threads have talked about how Polian keeps draft picks on the roster when "everyone knows that they are crud" because of his ego. Now we have a poster referring to an undrafted free agent being kept on the roster because of Polians ego. I'm scratching my head as to how Polian could be protecting his ego by playing an UFA ahead of one of his prize picks, unless of course there is a special flow chart to find the moment where the level of ego importance shifted, and NOW putting Thomas ahead is ALSO an act of protecting Polians ego. Wasn't Polian's ego involved in Tryon as well, because after all he gave up a draft pick for him. People who hate Polian portrayed Tryon's release as being related to Polians ego, when in fact releasing him involved Polian admitting that he had made a mistake in acquiring him in the first place. And round and round we go. I couldn't care less that someone choses to criticize a personnel move, but wrapping it all up in personality flaws is nonsensical and tiresome. Polian is just trying to do his job to the best of his abilities. I can respect him without enjoying his personality, and I can criticize him despite respecting him. And I can approve of the sum total of his career without committing to defending every aspect of his career. Things simply aren't as simple as some posters would like them to be. My opinion is that they are frustrated and looking to find someone to blame, and emotions such as hatred are often utterly overriding reason.

Could it POSSIBLY be that Lacey earned the starting spot based on his prior year performance, and the fact that he is a good tackler, while Thomas (who missed all of last year) wasn't quite ready. Then they reached a point where Thomas was improving and Lacey had inexplicably regressed, so they had to make a change. Isn't the important part that they made the change, and that Thomas looks like he could be a player? In the meantime Trent was just meaningless roster move #362 of the season - hardly even worth commenting on one way or anyother - much less using it as an excuse to rip Polian once again (and again and again ad infinitum).

Wow, you have me all figured out! I hope nobody gave you the secret password. I'd love to stay and argue until you are blue in the face, but I must go (back to reality) and warn the other members.

No, you just stay in your own space and the world will keep turning and Polian will keep spinning his alternate reality to the faithful.

I have no idea why Lacey has slipped, and I have no problems with the thought of him being cut when they get someone better. That really wasn't the reason for my response.

Look at it this way, Lacey was replaced by Thomas - a third round draft pick. Endless Polian threads have talked about how Polian keeps draft picks on the roster when "everyone knows that they are crud" because of his ego. Now we have a poster referring to an undrafted free agent being kept on the roster because of Polians ego. I'm scratching my head as to how Polian could be protecting his ego by playing an UFA ahead of one of his prize picks, unless of course there is a special flow chart to find the moment where the level of ego importance shifted, and NOW putting Thomas ahead is ALSO an act of protecting Polians ego. Wasn't Polian's ego involved in Tryon as well, because after all he gave up a draft pick for him. People who hate Polian portrayed Tryon's release as being related to Polians ego, when in fact releasing him involved Polian admitting that he had made a mistake in acquiring him in the first place. And round and round we go. I couldn't care less that someone choses to criticize a personnel move, but wrapping it all up in personality flaws is nonsensical and tiresome. Polian is just trying to do his job to the best of his abilities. I can respect him without enjoying his personality, and I can criticize him despite respecting him. And I can approve of the sum total of his career without committing to defending every aspect of his career. Things simply aren't as simple as some posters would like them to be. My opinion is that they are frustrated and looking to find someone to blame, and emotions such as hatred are often utterly overriding reason.

Could it POSSIBLY be that Lacey earned the starting spot based on his prior year performance, and the fact that he is a good tackler, while Thomas (who missed all of last year) wasn't quite ready. Then they reached a point where Thomas was improving and Lacey had inexplicably regressed, so they had to make a change. Isn't the important part that they made the change, and that Thomas looks like he could be a player? In the meantime Trent was just meaningless roster move #362 of the season - hardly even worth commenting on one way or anyother - much less using it as an excuse to rip Polian once again (and again and again ad infinitum).

In the NFL you don't get to keep a job based just on previous seasons performances. You have to prove you can do it every game and every season. Lacey never proved he was a long term, quality, or even a average starting NFL DB when he was starting. His starts actually showed that our DBs were terrible if he was considered the best corner available (thank you Polian).

Do you know Thomas was put on IR his first year? Due to Hayden's injuries, poor planning and Polian's own belief in his ability to acquire "talent" we were left with the off the street UDFAs at many positions, including DB. Lacey was the "next man up" and played because of that mantra rather than having overwhelming talent.

Lacey continued to play last year and the first portion of this season even though he was the worst DB on a Colts roster with the worst DBs in the league. Thomas was a healthy scratch for several games while Lacey stunk up the joint. Caldwell always avoided answering why a healthy Thomas wasn't given a shot at corner and he always gave an evasive answer. A lot of people believe Caldwell doesn't call the shots when it comes to personnel and does what Polain tells him. So yes, it is a plausible explanation that Lacey, a Polian UDFA, played because that is what Polian wanted to happen. I believe Thomas didn't suddenly become "ready" to play as much as Lacey became such a liability at corner that they had to play someone else. A point in all this is people are kept on the roster because of Polian's ego rather than their skills. He keeps the ones who he can control and gets rids of others, be they draft choice or UDFA or free agent.

Its the same story with anyone who Polian doesn't like - we would have a very good offensive line and one of the better LB corps if Polian had not let them walk away because of his ego.

to run the ball, front five gotta be better at making a hole for him to run through! colts a pass first team, dont matter how many carries ,brown or carter get or even addia,running the ball has never been a threat to another team they dont even respect it. fire caldwell and polian , start over, couple years we may be a 10-0 team again instead of 0-10 would it be so bad for the organization to maybe sign someone with experiance on defense from another team to lead our young secondary, with a leader may not be so bad, although i agree they are kinda small compared to the monster wide recievers now.

Rumor has it when Polian said Painter actually didn't play that badly against the Jags on his radio show ,he was detained in the psych unit,and only Jim Irsay 's considerable stature convinced them to let him go,but only on the agreement he is not to have the final say in any team decisions anymore.