Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So ummm...our division foes?

bap1331

The key to what you say is that it will take two player to contain Clowney. Neither Costanzo or Allen can do it alone. When you double team him, Watt will be an absolute terror. You won't be taking Clowney out of his game but he is going to take a lot of our players out of their game. I thought from the day of the draft that Clowney would be the defensive rookie of the year. That guy is a superstar right now.

Nice post LR, but SW1 has 1 minor clarification with the words "right now." Watt was a superstar tackler in college at UW-Madison with no drop off at the pros what so ever. You just knew JJ was special & cut above the rest.  :thmup:

Again, I realize I'm knit picking. It's all good. 

Costanzo is a liability at his possession and he has trouble with mediocre players. Clowney is not mediocre. I don't expect him to draw doubles either but that is because they had better double Watt, the best defensive player in the NFL. Clowney will have GREAT numbers just because of that.

costo has trouble with speed rushers, he has been a little slow footed,maybe he will be better this year

I wouldn't get overly excited about Bortles yet. Think of all of the QBs who have come out of college recently who play great for a few games, then film is out on them, and they have a major drop off. I, for one, was never extremely impressed with Bortles when I watched him play for UCF. He was definitely an above average college QB (although not elite), but I am not ready to say he is going to be successful in the NFL after one preseason game. I definitely question how well he will hold up on a team like the Jags over the course of the entire season.

Clowney is definitely physically gifted. I think Houston made a great choice in drafting him instead of giving into pressure for someone like Johnny Manziel. However, while I think he will have more of an impact than Bortles will in their rookie years, I think he is going to need a full year to truly adapt his game to the NFL. Watching him play well in a preseason game really doesn't mean much of anything, anymore than the fact the Texans lost by 32 points does.

If the Colts don't win the division this season something went seriously wrong -- as in Luck got badly injured and missed multiple games.

I've never seen Bortles play at all until tonight, but he looks pretty good.

Out of that QB class, I probably liked hm best... over Bridgewater, johnny football, etc...

But He's a rookie, and it's still early pre season.  No team is running full #1's on O and D yet, and they are still vanilla in play calls.  In addition, there isn't any real specific game planning being put forth yet.  Game 3 will likely be the closest we will get to Game 1 type look and feel.  I think Bortles has a good future in this league, and will show well at times this year.  But he will also make rookie mistakes, miss a read either via D disguises or speed of the game shortens his progressions, etc...

A good pass rush will be necessary, because you can't let a guy like him sit in the pocket unmolested and progress through all of his reads.  Got to make him read and release fast and keep him a little uncomfortable when he drops back.  We do that, we'll be fine against a rapidly improving Jags team.

I expect Clowney and Watt to be all over Luck constantly. Yes, he will still make plays but he will have turnovers too. I don't agree with you about Costanzo and I think he would be moved to a different position if a good replacement was available. That Oline is still suspect and The Texans will take advantage of that. That is their game. Now, whether they can score enough points to win, that is another. But I think Clowney and Watt will be the disruptive pair in the league along the lines of Ware and Miller in Denver. Freeney was a one trick pony. Clowney is the real deal.

Even in our preseason game, our pass protection was pretty good.

Having Allen back is a blessing.  He can knock the DL around.  I also look for Clowney to over-pursue.  Andrew will make him pay royally!  Just a thought :) 

Nice post LR, but SW1 has 1 minor clarification with the words "right now." Watt was a superstar tackler in college at UW-Madison with no drop off at the pros what so ever. You just knew JJ was special & cut above the rest. :thmup:

Again, I realize I'm knit picking. It's all good.

Good lord what do we have here?