Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Falcons sign Pat Angerer.

Dustin

Ughhh, let's use so common sense here. Most of those are good-great players. Good-great players play for a long time. LBers (and DBs) that play for a long-time get a lot of tackles.

This isn't hard.

Common sense is they play for a long time not for just standing in the football field. Tackling is the integral part of a LB resume.

Ughhh, let's use so common sense here. Most of those are good-great players. Good-great players play for a long time. LBers (and DBs) that play for a long-time get a lot of tackles.

This isn't hard.

It's good to see you admit you were wrong.   Tackles DO have a correlation to good LB play. 

Setting the tacklea argument aside, anybody who's watched Pat Angerer and think's he's good doewn't know what they are watching.

Anyone who's watched football and didn't think good tackling corresponds to a good football player doesn't know football.

good tackling corresponds to a good football

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

I didn't say that. Good tackling is a must for a good LB (and Angerer is a bad tackler anyway; he would continually whiff, take bad angles, or just get hit and let the RB get another 3 yards.) . Pure tackle numbers don't mean anything. Pat Angerer was, is, and will continue to be a bad player. 

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

I didn't say that. Good tackling is a must for a good LB (and Angerer is a bad tackler anyway; he would continually whiff, take bad angles, or just get hit and let the RB get another 3 yards.) . Pure tackle numbers don't mean anything. Pat Angerer was, is, and will continue to be a bad player. 

Your response to tackles being important in football - "They have no correlation to good LB play"

You are wrong.

Also Pat was a good LB when healthy.   He was constantly in the right place to make the tackles.  You may remember several "whiffed" tackles because he was always near the ball carrier.  

Can someone tell me if this guy is a troll on this board?   I'm new.

Your response to tackles being important in football - "They have no correlation to good LB play"

You are wrong.

Again, you are misrepresenting my arguments. Tackle numbers have no correlation to good LB play. They're not official statistics. All teams keep personal stat keepers who heavily inflate players tackle numbers. Ex. Colts.com has Freeman listed with 43 assisted tackles and PFF has him listed with 18. 

Also Pat was a good LB when healthy.

No, he wasn't. Like I said, he was slow, couldn't cover, and would get knocked back 3 yards every time he attempted to make a tackle. 

I believe that you believe you do.   

But................you don't.

You really believe that?

So you wouldn't consider all these guys above average NFL players?

The tackle leaders from last year.

Paul Posluszny, LB                             2 NaVorro Bowman, LB                             3 Karlos Dansby, LB                               Vontaze Burfict, LB                             5 Barry Church, S                               Lavonte David, LB                             7 DeMeco Ryans, LB                             8 Derrick Johnson, LB                             9 Alec Ogletree,                             10 Stephen Tulloch,

pff-ilb-stats.jpg

Paul Poslusnzy and Democo Ryans are good? Lulz. 

This is getting nowhere, I'm gonna bow out.

Welcome to the forum. 

I'm fine with that.   We obviously disagree.   I think Pat was good when healthy and you think he was well below average when healthy.

I guess this is a good example of people seeing the same thing differently.

Thanks for the welcome.   :thmup:

LOL Myles, new poster. I still haven't decided if you're a troll or not.

I bet you look at stats only for a player, and think this is Madden, and it instantly makes a player good or bad. Tackle numbers mean nothing for a LB, because they are expected to make the plurality of tackles on a football team.

By your logic if tackles are a good stat for a LB...

then Matt Schaub is the best QB because he has the most passing yards a few years back.

and Tim Jennings is the best CB because he has the most INTs.

Case closed.

LOL Myles, new poster. I still haven't decided if you're a troll or not.

I bet you look at stats only for a player, and think this is Madden, and it instantly makes a player good or bad. Tackle numbers mean nothing for a LB, because they are expected to make the plurality of tackles on a football team.

By your logic if tackles are a good stat for a LB...

then Matt Schaub is the best QB because he has the most passing yards a few years back.

Case closed.

You've read me wrong.  I rarely analyze stats.   I'm more of an eye test guy.   I like watching the game much more than reading the stats.   I liked what I seen in Pat when he was healthy, that's why I think he was a good LB.

I never said pat was the best LB.   I disagreed when Dustin said he was bad.