Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano: Gonna be very difficult to cut down to 53 players

TKnight24

@HolderStephen: Assessing current roster, Chuck Pagano says: "It's going to be really, really difficult to get to 53 (players) this year." Tough choices

@HolderStephen: Injury status will impact alot of roster decisions. For example, where are Bradshaw and Ballard in two months? Donald Thomas?

@HolderStephen: Colts might have to make roster decisions that protect them if certain guys are less than 100%t. Plenty of time still, but lots to consider

Stephen Holder makes an excellent point. Should we keep an injured let's say Ballard over Boom just because Ballard has produced more thus far?

Could also put some players on the PuP list, but this roster cut process will be something we all should keep our eyes on

:colts:

Convinces me even more that guys like Ballard and Thomas start the season on PUP. Gives you a little extra space through the first few weeks of the season.

How long can a player be on the PUP?

Didn't we do something wrong last year with Bradshaw & the NFL forced activated him?

How long can a player be on the PUP?

Didn't we do something wrong last year with Bradshaw & the NFL forced activated him?

I believe you can keep a player on PUP through the first six weeks, then you have three weeks from the time he starts practicing before you have to activate him.

I don't remember the details of the Bradshaw situation, but I think it was as simple as he lined up in a team drill, which a PUP player isn't supposed to do. 

Also, Pagano's comments about having security around Reggie once camp starts makes me think we'll have Reggie on PUP to start camp, at least. I doubt he participates in any preseason games, though it seems like he'll be ready to play once the season starts. JMO

I believe you can keep a player on PUP through the first six weeks, then you have three weeks from the time he starts practicing before you have to activate him.

I don't remember the details of the Bradshaw situation, but I think it was as simple as he lined up in a team drill, which a PUP player isn't supposed to do. 

Also, Pagano's comments about having security around Reggie once camp starts makes me think we'll have Reggie on PUP to start camp, at least. I doubt he participates in any preseason games, though it seems like he'll be ready to play once the season starts. JMO

Security around Reggie?  What are they going to assign him a body guard?  

Security around Reggie?  What are they going to assign him a body guard?  

He was joking about how they'll have to pay extra close attention to make sure he stays off the field. I felt like he was talking about at training camp, not this minicamp. If that's the case, that would mean they'll have him on PUP, otherwise there's no reason to keep him off the field.

Just some wild-eyed speculation on my part. Nothing to see here.

I thought it was mandatory that players who start the season on the PUP list remain there for the first 6 weeks. Quick google search....granted this is from Wikipedia but if it's wrong I'm sure it's not by much.  One thing, this says a 5 week window but I was thinking Superman was right with the 3 week window:

Regular-Season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season

If a player starts the preseason on the PUP list, he can be taken off the PUP list at anytime during the preseason.  If he does not start the preseason on the PUP list he cannot be put on the PUP list.  If he starts the preseason on the PUP and the season on the PUP then then the part Jason S quoted applies.

I thought it was mandatory that players who start the season on the PUP list remain there for the first 6 weeks. Quick google search....granted this is from Wikipedia but if it's wrong I'm sure it's not by much.  One thing, this says a 5 week window but I was thinking Superman was right with the 3 week window:

Regular-Season PUP

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season

Yeah, I'm rough on the details, but there's a difference between preseason PUP and regular season PUP. If you start camp on PUP, you can come off at anytime.

Yeah, I'm rough on the details, but there's a difference between preseason PUP and regular season PUP. If you start camp on PUP, you can come off at anytime.

right. I only quoted the regular season portion because the comments that had been made were referring to the first six weeks. :)