Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft value chart

12isthenew18

I'm sorry,  but that is NOT the best draft pick point value chart.   Lots of websites offer a basic chart.

But this website offers the chart that includes the 32 compensatory draft picks that start at the end of 3rd round and go to the end of the draft....     THIS is the best chart to use....    Here you go....

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ind

I'm sorry, but that is NOT the best draft pick point value chart. Lots of websites offer a basic chart.

But this website offers the chart that includes the 32 compensatory draft picks that start at the end of 3rd round and go to the end of the draft.... THIS is the best chart to use.... Here you go....

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ind

You can't trade compensatory picks as far as I know so that difference wouldn't really matter

You can't trade compensatory picks as far as I know so that difference wouldn't really matter

the difference is the compensatory picks, yes,  you can't trade them,  but they have points value assigned to them, so that changes the points value of all the other picks.

The list I linked has the correct points value for all the picks......

I dont really agree with those draft value charts at all. 

Nor do I. Trades vary all the time, and I'm not sure they were updated after the adoption of the new rookie salary structure, which lowers the financial burden of those picks, arguably raising the trade value in the upper rounds. It is so resoundingly similar to this 2004 chart that I seriously doubt it is still accurate.

But these charts all seem to be fan creations. Jerry Jones acknowledges that he uses the teams own value chart, which I think is probably routine in the league. I think these charts are primarily for fans to argue over, as I'm not sure the league really cares. I mean, is the first pick really worth ten of the sixtieth? 

Nor do I. Trades vary all the time, and I'm not sure they were updated after the adoption of the new rookie salary structure, which lowers the financial burden of those picks, arguably raising the trade value in the upper rounds. It is so resoundingly similar to this 2004 chart that I seriously doubt it is still accurate.

Do all teams use the chart?    No.

Picks are more valuable now than ever,  so teams often do trades where the values don't quite match-up.   Better to get some picks even if you can't get all the picks you want.

But these charts at least give people a good idea of how a trade may or may not work out.

I point to the chart all the times when posters come up with trade ideas that are so unrealistic as to be laughable.    You know, all the "what if..." type of trades......  

If these charts are not as accurate as you'd like,  their still pretty close. 

the difference is the compensatory picks, yes, you can't trade them, but they have points value assigned to them, so that changes the points value of all the other picks.

The list I linked has the correct points value for all the picks......

not all teams use the same chart, so their isn't a correct or incorrect chart

not all teams use the same chart, so their isn't a correct or incorrect chart

I'm not familiar with multiple charts other than the ones posted over on the draft/free agent page on the website.

They're not identical, but they're close.    Close enough for NFL teams to have a conversation that's close and reasonable.

I only stress the points charts for posters here who come up with ridiculous trades that would never see the light of day in the real world.      People who don't understand how expensive it is to move up....   and how hard it is to trade down....

Do all teams use the chart?    No.

Picks are more valuable now than ever,  so teams often do trades where the values don't quite match-up.   Better to get some picks even if you can't get all the picks you want.

But these charts at least give people a good idea of how a trade may or may not work out.

I point to the chart all the times when posters come up with trade ideas that are so unrealistic as to be laughable.    You know, all the "what if..." type of trades......  

If these charts are not as accurate as you'd like,  their still pretty close. 

This is my issue. You are basing rather or not you find something unrealistic on simple numbers. "They traded 265 points for 220 points?" Teams aren't trading for picks. Teams trade for players. If a player fell, or the draft is deep, the realism of trading up to grab a player at a deep position and who fits the team and can contribute can be substantially more valuable than that pick number suggest, which is why I don't like using the common value chart for arguing trades. The Harvard model is somewhat better in this respect, as it rates likely contribution from said position based on historical evidence, but it still says nothing about the apparent draft.

In general, realism on proposed trades in mock drafts is nearly impossible to gauge (though some truly screwy things stand out) using any method, minus live action mocks in which a board of players still available are listed, as we can at least assign values to skill sets. 

This is my issue. You are basing rather or not you find something unrealistic on simple numbers. "They traded 265 points for 220 points?" Teams aren't trading for picks. Teams trade for players. If a player fell, or the draft is deep, the realism of trading up to grab a player at a deep position and who fits the team and can contribute can be substantially more valuable than that pick number suggest, which is why I don't like using the common value chart for arguing trades. The Harvard model is somewhat better in this respect, as it rates likely contribution from said position based on historical evidence, but it still says nothing about the apparent draft.

In general, realism on proposed trades in mock drafts is nearly impossible to gauge (though some truly screwy things stand out) using any method, minus live action mocks in which a board of players still available are listed, as we can at least assign values to skill sets. 

I'm not sure I understood a word you just said,  but I think that's more a "me" problem than a "you" problem.

So....   let me see if I can put it this way and I'll apologize to the poster who I'm going to talk about (I don't recall his name)....  I'm not trying to embarrass anyone here....

But a poster wanted to trade into the top-10 picks in the draft.   Not just get into the first round,  but the top-10.   And I think he proposed our 2 and 3 and next year's 1.    I maybe slightly off on that,  but his combinations of picks would get us into the the mid-20's....    but not even remotely close to the top-10.    Not even close.

That's the kind of thing I try and keep posters away from.

Or........

Posters who don't understand that a future pick has the value of one less round.   So, a 2015 1st round pick has the value of a 2014 2nd round pick.     A '15 2nd round pick has the value of a 3rd round pick.    Lots of posters don't realize this so they propose all sorts of trades and don't understand why they're not realistic.

Or....

Another scenario I see all the time is trading our 2 and say a 6 to move way up in the 2nd round.   The poster not realizing that a 6 doesn't move you very far.    Even our 3 doesn't move you up all that far in the 2nd round.    Lots of lack of awareness on value so people propose deals that aren't the least bit logical.

Again,  all I'm trying to do is hold up a mirror to reality. 

For situations like the ones I've cited,  it doesn't matter which draft pick value points chart you use,  you can't get from A to B when the numbers are that far off.    You can be a little off.   Teams might be willing to compromise here and there and not get full value....   but only up to a point.   At some point reality sets in.

Hey......  I want this whole process to be fun for everyone.   I'm not trying to be a killjoy or bull-kill to anyone.   I only want them to understand why their proposals have almost zero chance of happening.     That's all......

The one basic premise that I think is pretty concrete is if you're not in the top 10 and want to get there, it will basically take your entire draft, possibly even some from the next year.

Getting into the first if you only have a second will cost you most of your draft, but not all of it.