Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

53 man roster

ColtsFanMikeC

I have seen a lot of posts asking how many we will keep at each position -- so I decided to attempt to put a 53 man roster together and this is what I came up with.  The hardest position to choose for me was RB -- I like Rainey's potential as a kick-returner and the fact that he is a bit different style of running back than the other 3 but I had to cut him to allow for more on defense -- I see us keeping 6 WR's instead of 4 RB's as Whalen and Brazzill can handle return duties.  I was also kind of torn at LB -- I think we will keep around 9 total, and I think at ILB we are set with our starters in Freeman and Jackson but between Harvey, McNary, and Sheppard I had a tough time deciding -- same at OLB -- I think we will definitely see Mathis, Werner, and Walden make the squad -- I personally was impressed with Studebaker and thought Cam Johnson was pretty good last year, but it seems like our mgmt is very high on Adongo's potential so I think he makes it over Studebaker and Hickman.  I hated to cut Pendleton at DT, but I don't see him making our squad this year.  The reason I only kept 6 OL is that I can see Werner or Adongo rotating in at DE on obvious pass-rush situations.

We have 5 draft picks and I project 4 of them crack our roster -- S, OT, C, and DE.  While creating this, I think we have glaring needs a C and S and we could definitely improve depth at OG/OT (I saw one mock with us taking David Yankey, OG/OT from Stanford in round 2 -- I would be ecstatic about that pick as he can play both G and T). Of course, there is probably room for upgrade at every position on our team except QB, but after that I would say we are pretty set with depth at LB, WR, TE, and DT.  I think we could definitely use improvements at DE and CB, although I am pretty happy with our first 4 DB's (assuming Toler is healthy) of Davis, Toler, Butler, and Gordy.  **Note: This is all subject to change with any significant injuries.

QB (2) -- Luck, Hasselbeck

RB (3) -- T-Rich, Ballard, Bradshaw

FB (1) -- Havilli

WR (6) -- Wayne, Nicks, TY, Rodgers, Brazzill, Whalen

TE (3) -- Allen, Fleener, Doyle

OT (4) -- Cherilus, Castonzo, Nixon, Rookie

OG (4)  -- Thomas, Thornton, Reitz, Louis

C (2) -- Holmes, Rookie

K (1) -- Vinatieri

P (1) -- McAffee

LS (1) -- Overton

DE (3) -- Jones, Redding, Rookie

DT (3) -- Chapman, Jean-Francois, Hughes

ILB (4) -- Freeman, Jackson, McNary, Sheppard

OLB (5) -- Mathis, Werner, Adongo, Walden, Johnson

CB (5) -- Davis, Toler, Gordy, Butler, Price

S (4) -- Landry, Howell, Brown, Rookie

Practice Squad (5)

Muamba, Cameron White, Burley, Rookie x 2

Great job. The guys you have at the bottom of the depth chart look right and will be fighting for their jobs.
Injuries aside, unless a center/guard is drafted high, I believe Austin will win the backup C job.

Pendleton is unlikely to be beaten out by a later rd pick come opening day.

People that think we need more (Later) picks for depth are way off.
We need a couple guys with Top Level talent this draft.
 I have Zero doubt we will add 1-2 Quality guys between post June1 - final cuts.

Nice job OP. My bold prediction - Boom beats out Ballard.

I could see that -- it will be interesting to see what Ballard's health is like and how he is cutting, handling contact, etc..

I would have Justin Hickman making the roster and somebody will beat out Sheldon Price hopefully it's Bashaud Breeland in the 2nd round

Also think you have one too many OL making the roster

I kept an extra OL mainly b/c of the injury bug we caught there last year -- you may be right though if the team is 100% confident that we're at full health. 

I think S is more of a concern than CB right now,  so I am thinking if we take a CB at all it will be late with a S coming earlier -- though I have a feeling there will be some 'draft best available player' mentality so long as he is not a QB, P, or K early on in this draft.

I have seen a lot of posts asking how many we will keep at each position -- so I decided to attempt to put a 53 man roster together and this is what I came up with.  The hardest position to choose for me was RB -- I like Rainey's potential as a kick-returner and the fact that he is a bit different style of running back than the other 3 but I had to cut him to allow for more on defense -- I see us keeping 6 WR's instead of 4 RB's as Whalen and Brazzill can handle return duties.  I was also kind of torn at LB -- I think we will keep around 9 total, and I think at ILB we are set with our starters in Freeman and Jackson but between Harvey, McNary, and Sheppard I had a tough time deciding -- same at OLB -- I think we will definitely see Mathis, Werner, and Walden make the squad -- I personally was impressed with Studebaker and thought Cam Johnson was pretty good last year, but it seems like our mgmt is very high on Adongo's potential so I think he makes it over Studebaker and Hickman.  I hated to cut Pendleton at DT, but I don't see him making our squad this year.  The reason I only kept 6 OL is that I can see Werner or Adongo rotating in at DE on obvious pass-rush situations.

We have 5 draft picks and I project 4 of them crack our roster -- S, OT, C, and DE.  While creating this, I think we have glaring needs a C and S and we could definitely improve depth at OG/OT (I saw one mock with us taking David Yankey, OG/OT from Stanford in round 2 -- I would be ecstatic about that pick as he can play both G and T). Of course, there is probably room for upgrade at every position on our team except QB, but after that I would say we are pretty set with depth at LB, WR, TE, and DT.  I think we could definitely use improvements at DE and CB, although I am pretty happy with our first 4 DB's (assuming Toler is healthy) of Davis, Toler, Butler, and Gordy.  **Note: This is all subject to change with any significant injuries.

QB (2) -- Luck, Hasselbeck

RB (3) -- T-Rich, Ballard, Bradshaw

FB (1) -- Havilli

WR (6) -- Wayne, Nicks, TY, Rodgers, Brazzill, Whalen

TE (3) -- Allen, Fleener, Doyle

OT (4) -- Cherilus, Castonzo, Nixon, Rookie

OG (4)  -- Thomas, Thornton, Reitz, Louis

C (2) -- Holmes, Rookie

K (1) -- Vinatieri

P (1) -- McAffee

LS (1) -- Overton

DE (3) -- Jones, Redding, Rookie

DT (3) -- Chapman, Jean-Francois, Hughes

ILB (4) -- Freeman, Jackson, McNary, Sheppard

OLB (5) -- Mathis, Werner, Adongo, Walden, Johnson

CB (5) -- Davis, Toler, Gordy, Butler, Price

S (4) -- Landry, Howell, Brown, Rookie

Practice Squad (5)

Muamba, Cameron White, Burley, Rookie x 2

darick rogers  should be there as well

I would like to have veteran backup center.  I don't really like the idea of backing up a second year player who barely played his first year because of injury with a rookie.  I doubt Grigson likes the idea if he doesn't like starting rookie Olinemen.

darick rogers  should be there as well

I spelled his name wrong - he is who I meant with "Rodgers"

It's hard enough to guess the final roster during the pre-season it's near impossible before the draft and we sign undrafted free agents.

You are correct -- I just did that because there are tons of other posts debating how many TE's or RB's or WR's we will keep so I went thru what we have now and tried to figure out what our team will look like if we stay healthy in pre-season.  The main points of doing that were to try to figure out how many we'd keep at each position and also to identify areas we need to address in the draft -- I think C and S are the 2 positions where we have the most glaring holes on our roster right now.  If Holmes and Howell stay healthy, we might be set for starters, but neither of them have proven they can last 16 games so far in their young careers.  Otherwise, I'd say we are set at QB, we are deep at WR, TE, RB, and LB -- we need a little help addressing depth on our OL, maybe our DL, and our secondary. 

As ThrowingBBS said --- I really don't think we need to load up with more picks in this draft -- we have most of the pieces in place to give ourselves a very good chance of being a very good team.  We are also a very young team with only 7 players at age 30 or older (our back up QB, our K, Wayne, Redding, Mathis, D'Qwell Jackson, and Pendleton who has very little playing experience and not a lot of wear-and-tear).  We need 2-3 very solid picks from this draft to help with our OL and our secondary -- otherwise we should be able to go 'best available player' and come out sitting pretty.

Very bold! I really hope Ballard can bounce back from injury but who really ever knows.

I hope he does too. The stronger the bottom of the roster is, the better the team, because those guys will eventually play.

I'm a Boom fan, I think if he gets a fair shot he'll show he's a very good RB.

I like the early roster predictions. It shows how hard it's going to be for a rookie to break in, which means we have a fairly solid team.

Too early for a list!

I don't think so, I enjoy seeing who people value at the bottom of the roster. We all have a pretty good idea who the starters will be, and probably the top 30 - 35 guys. It's interesting to see where our strengths and weaknesses are going to be for those last 20 odd spots.

Obviously the predictions are going to evolve after the draft and with injuries.

I believe Price and Sheppard will lose out to the "cauldron of competition".

Sheppard just couldn`t get himself where he needed to be most of the season. He was Bad.

But i will give him some due, he definitely got better. He should be better in year two and showed me he COULD become a decent backup.

Maybe a guy comes along who has similar size and is just a little more athletic. That guy would have more of a future Starter feel and could beat him out. Accumulate as many good players as you can, for sure.