Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Colts Mock Draft 1.0

2nd Round #59 Cyril Richardson G Baylor

3rd Round #90 Dontae Johnson CB/FS  N.C State

5th Round #166 Dezmen Southward FS Wisconsin

6th Round #203 Johnathan Newsome OLB Ball St.

7th Round #232 Will Clarke DE West Virginia

Priority Free Agents:

Rob Blanchflower TE UMass

Kendall James CB Maine James

Andrew Norwell G Ohio St.

David Fluellen RB Toldeo

I'd Still like to trade into the late rounds and get a solid reciever like Isaiah Burse if we could trade into the 4th or 5th or a Returner like Dri Archer if he falls into the 4th

I don't really like drafting a guard in the 2nd round, we have good depth there with Donald Thomas, Hugh Thornton, Joe Reitz, Xavier Nixon, and Phil Costa/Khaled Holmes can both play there as well as Linkenbach. I would rather look towards defense

Link signed with the Chiefs and Reitz has yet to sign his tender, Donald Thomas is coming back from a torn quad and biceps. We can use another guard

I don't really like drafting a guard in the 2nd round, we have good depth there with Donald Thomas, Hugh Thornton, Joe Reitz, Xavier Nixon, and Phil Costa/Khaled Holmes can both play there as well as Linkenbach. I would rather look towards defense 

don't have linkenbach donald thomas is coming off 2 difficult injuries we do have lance louis who i think should start.

Nixon mostly plays tackle and he and reitz should more provide tackle depth than guard.

I think he would be a great pick  and i also drafted purely defense after the second round with the exception of a trade into the 4th or 5th but thanks for the feedback.

Damn I knew Link wasn't here. Like Nick said, Lance Louis is the guy I was thinking of, no idea why I said Link

i like richardson this year a heck of a lot more than i liked thornton last year and as depth guards i think they're good depth and development and in case of injury they can both start behind thomas and louis depth tackles would be reitz and nixon who can also play guard i like our o line depth if we draft richardson or another solid guard/center

I like it Cyril Richardson is a road grader would fit out power scheme perfect not sure he is worth 59 would like a trade back for him. He was pretty bad at the combine seems to be slipping, I like Trai Turner but not that high either.

I have a feeling someone unexpected is going to fall in our laps at 59 Attaochu has been mentioned a lot on here or would love that to happen. I really like Lamarcus Joyner could see him slipping to the 3rd based on his perceived size weakness.

59 Attaochu

90 Joyner

166 Trai Turner

203 Archer

232 Tre Boston

That would be my dream draft I know that a lot of things would have to fall our way especially at 90 and 166 

Like the CB from Maine and would grab the kid from ASU Darby as priority FA's

what would you change?

Due to his weak combine performance I would keep an eye on Florida's CB Louchiez Pourifoy around that 5th round. That would be good value there in the 5th, and we know Grigson always keeps and eye on the bad combine prospects.

Due to his weak combine performance I would keep an eye on Florida's CB Louchiez Pourifoy around that 5th round. That would be good value there in the 5th, and we know Grigson always keeps and eye on the bad combine prospects.

To be fair, it wasn't just a bad combine performance, but in general he's not that great of a prospect. The tape is really bad. In fact, I don't think any of the trio from Florida will get drafted before the late 4th round.

There are a couple of guys I would feel good about in the 2nd round: Demarcus Lawrence, Joel Bitonio, Donte Moncrief, and Pierre Desir top my list at the moment.

I really prefer that we trade back into the 3rd round and pick up a 4th rounder. I feel there will be some good talent at the top of the 4th round, we just need a team willing to trade up. I could see the Jags trading up for a WR that falls, same for Minnesota.

If we stay put and make no trades, I would be happy with:

2.) Demarcus Lawrence DE Boise State: we have to improve the pass rush

3.) Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood: Not sure if he will fall to us, but more mock drafts seem to have him falling

5.) Walt Aikens CB Liberty: Great size and athleticism, had a great Senior Bowl week apparently

6.) Joe Don Duncan TE Dixie State: Decent size, nice speed, tremendous blocker; I read he was the best blocking TE in the draft (take that for what you will, ten different sites probably each have different "best" blockers)

7.) Austin Wentworth OT Fresno State: projects to guard, but has experience at both OT positions at Fresno State

2 points of note for me:

1.) When you reach the 3rd day of the draft, I would hope we would select more on upside and take more of a best player available type approach rather than a strict need-based approach.

2.) I am not as concerned regarding the drafting of a safety as some people seem to be. There are some decent free agents available, and I actually like Delano Howell. I think he can be pretty good if given a chance.

I'm good with taking an O-lineman early but I'm not that high on Richardson, not since his senior bowl. Out of the guys who will likely be there at 59 I liked Brandon Thomas best (now with an ACL tear ugh) but I'd be okay with taking Gabe Jackson there too. I also like the 3rd round projected prospects Dakota Dozier and Billy Turner.

To be fair, it wasn't just a bad combine performance, but in general he's not that great of a prospect. The tape is really bad. In fact, I don't think any of the trio from Florida will get drafted before the late 4th round.

Still would be some of the best value in the 5th

I'm good with taking an O-lineman early but I'm not that high on Richardson, not since his senior bowl. Out of the guys who will likely be there at 59 I liked Brandon Thomas best (now with an ACL tear ugh) but I'd be okay with taking Gabe Jackson there too. I also like the 3rd round projected prospects Dakota Dozier and Billy Turner.

I think his struggles at the Senior Bowl are correctible.  I've read that he is behind in pass protection because of the scheme he was in at Baylor.  He could be a steal in either the second or third rounds.  I like him better than Gabe Jackson.  I'd definately take either at #2.

Priority Free Agents:

David Fluellen RB Toldeo

I'd Still like to trade into the late rounds and get a solid reciever like Isaiah Burse if we could trade into the 4th or 5th or a Returner like Dri Archer if he falls into the 4th

I  love OL at the second.  I'd love for us to be able to run the ball. 

2.  Cyril Richardson  OG

3.  Yawin Smallwood ILB  - imagine him playing next to D. Jackson

5.  Will Clarke - he is one of my favorites.  He'll be gone before the sixth. 

6.  Tre Boston

7.  Spencer Long

Another one of my favorites is Russell Bodine C North Carolina.  I'd do backflips if he fell to our 5th pick.  If we can't improve the trenches significantly, I'd say go for the DBs.

I agree that it seems a little early for Richardson.  Not a lot to distinguish him from OLs we might get in Round 3 (Dozier, Billy Turner, etc.)  But I like your priorities.  Dontae Johnson's rise is pretty interesting to me.  I see him increasingly viewed as a 3rd rounder...there must be some pretty good game tape that people are just getting around to analyzing.  There also seems to be a variety of opinions for where he fits in at the next level - FS or CB?

I  love OL at the second.  I'd love for us to be able to run the ball. 

2.  Cyril Richardson  OG

3.  Yawin Smallwood ILB  - imagine him playing next to D. Jackson

5.  Will Clarke - he is one of my favorites.  He'll be gone before the sixth. 

6.  Tre Boston

7.  Spencer Long

Another one of my favorites is Russell Bodine C North Carolina.  I'd do backflips if he fell to our 5th pick.  If we can't improve the trenches significantly, I'd say go for the DBs.

Not a fan of Freeman?

Priority Free Agents:

David Fluellen RB Toldeo

No Center?

I'd think we're drafting a Center somewhere. :)

Richardson's pro day went a lot better. We were there: They have a CB, SS and a scat back that showed well to so I am not saying we were there just for Cyril but we were at the pro day along with a lot of teams. I still like Turner better but Richardson is a road grader would really fit the power run scheme. I just question why wasn't dude in shape for the senior bowl and combine kind of a red flag for me.

G (6-foot-4 1/4, 333 pounds) — Richardson ran the 40-yard dash in 5.23 and 5.28 seconds. Richardson, who has 34 3/8-inch arms, did 30 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Richardson has lost about 20 pounds since the end of the 2013 season when he was at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. He has worked hard to lose that weight and that hard work paid off at Baylor’s pro day, when he looked very good; he looked like the Richardson we remembered from a year ago when he was one of the most highly regarded offensive line prospects in the nation. He had gotten too heavy in 2013 and did not move well enough to be considered a top line prospect. Now, however, he might have moved back into second-round consideration for the 2014 NFL Draft after falling down into the third-round range with all that weight.

Why would we be drafting a C we have Costa and Holmes fighting it out?

Grigs has said publicly and history has shown you don't need to spend a lot of resources to find a good C a lot of them are undrafted free agents.The majority of the FA C's this year went undrafted in fact the only 2 that come to mind that went undrafted are Mack and Goodwin who is still out there.

I think our C is on the roster. I would be very surprised if we drafted a C 2 yrs in a row.  I think our starters are pretty much in place unless someone from the draft is out of sight in camp. That includes Howell starting at S. Then only place I could see something happening is G even then I'd bet on Lance Louis Grigs seems really high on him. The draft is going to be depth hopefully on the defensive side of the ball. 

I am not saying if we get a guy like Joyner he won't be starting by week 4 or have rotational guys come in but the 22 that line up on each side are here barring training camp injuries. That is a good thing.