Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I love FA, but be very careful!

I will be the first one to say I love that we now have a GM who sees the value in FA. I love being able to talk about all the players, and I truly believe with 41M in cap space, hopefully 45M in cap space when Satele is released that we need to fill a couple crucial positions, especially with only 5 draft picks this year. I would go after a safety(Ward or Byrd), a Center(DeLaPunete) and a guard(Schwartz, or Asomoah). Those as far as I am concerned are the must have positions in FA, and I love being able to talk, argue, debate the relative merits.

The one thing that concerns me though, and I know most people is you don't build a team through FA. Have you ever seen it work. Miami last year, Washington over the years. FA is tough because many good players who are available are good because of 1) the system they were in. Being able to evaluate that is crucial. I was so glad we did not go after Krueger last year, because I felt the system he was in inflated his value.

The second thing which concerns me is many players look good due to the players who have surrounded them. Krueger was helped by this last year. Byrd is a stud, but how much did Aaron Williams, Buffalo's other safety help him, and make him look better. I don't have the answer, but you always need to look at who those players were surrounded by.

Last, many players who are in the final year of a contract miraculously play better than the other years they have bee under contract. One year miracles are always a concern, because they may not have the motor unless their is a huge incentive and they can see it in front of them.

I am still going to enjoy the next couple of weeks, and hope Grigson makes some smart judicious moves. I think Jackson is a good start, But we want to fill holes with smart contracts, and only spend big money on players we are sure do not fit the above criteria. The team who wins in March never seems to win during the regular season. Just a thought, and I am not trying to be a buzzkill!!!!

Well he just overpaid for Jackson with his 1st signing. I like Jackson and even said in a different thread that he would be a huge upgrade to the team, but just not for that price. With all the bad deals that didn't work last year i would have thought Grigson would have learned from overpaying mid tier guys. I would have no problem if he overpaid for great players like Mack or Byrd, just not mid tier guys like Walden, RJF, Toler, and Jackson.

After his 1st delve into FA last season with Ton$ of $$$, I don`t Love our GM at all based on results. His Value chart is Totally suspect.

And In hindsight, he looks like a Fool going into year one with Satele, McGlynn and Olson on his 53 man roster. JMO of course.

I`m not sure how much $$$ our GM gets to support his talent search, but i am sure it is enough he can get Whatever he needs to know about a player.
 Evaluating the circumstances of a players success and whether they should fit your system is a basic. What you are hired for. The JOB!

There are one year miracles everywhere, it still comes down to the best info available and role the dice.

At Jacksons age, the contract must be front loaded (2 years) for this to be smart, a Good Start, IMO.

We already have a Center.

Yes a High quality FA at Starting guard for one season might be nice, but who is that guy?

Thornton Might be quite Solid by playoff time in his year two, and Nixon looked like he could be a VG Guard NOW.

Being SURE with Humans, get real! Go Colts!

Well he just overpaid for Jackson with his 1st signing. I like Jackson and even said in a different thread that he would be a huge upgrade to the team, but just not for that price. With all the bad deals that didn't work last year i would have thought Grigson would have learned from overpaying mid tier guys. I would have no problem if he overpaid for great players like Mack or Byrd, just not mid tier guys like Walden, RJF, Toler, and Jackson.

When a player turns down another contract that wouldve given him more money, that means more than one GM would justify giving him the type of money Grigson gave him. That along with looking at the contract numbers I'd say Jackson was signed at the right price.

NbDxMRE.png

Jackson made four visits, with ours being the last. I feel comfortable in saying that the market spoke, and the Colts decided to pay. 

And I don't follow your logic. If you feel Jackson would be "a huge upgrade to the team," then what's wrong with paying market value for him?

I wouldn't call Jackson mid tier. Your average fan may not know much about him because he played in Cleveland, but he has been a really good player for a long time.

Daryl Smith signed with the Ravens for 1 year 2 mil, i thought the deal would be similar to that or at most 3 mil. Still an upgrade over the guys we have just thought 11 mil was too much guaranteed money for a 30 year old ILB.

NbDxMRE.png

Jackson made four visits, with ours being the last. I feel comfortable in saying that the market spoke, and the Colts decided to pay. 

And I don't follow your logic. If you feel Jackson would be "a huge upgrade to the team," then what's wrong with paying market value for him?

Daryl Smith signed with the Ravens for 1 year 2 mil, i thought the deal would be similar to that or at most 3 mil. Still an upgrade over the guys we have just thought 11 mil was too much guaranteed money for a 30 year old ILB.

Daryl Smith was a year older, and was coming off a bad season in which he got hurt. He also signed in secondary free agency, in June. Not in March. Completely different scenarios.