Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Knowshon Moreno

oldunclemark

GM John Elways says Broncos 'still in that process' on decision to re-sign RB Knowshon Moreno

index_749.jpg

According to Jamey Eisenberg of CBS Sports,  Denver Broncos general manager John Elway said the team is still evaluating their personnel, however, one decision is on bringing back free agent running back Knowshon Moreno.

The team would like to have him back but the market may be to rich for their taste.

"We are still in that process," Elway said, via CBS Sports.

"We are still in the process of evaluating where we are. When you talk about Knowshon, he had a tremendous year for us.

You look at the year he was reliable, he caught the ball, ran the football for us and was also tremendous in pass protection. Knowshon was a big part of what we did this year. It’s still early in the process as far as what we're going to do in the free agent market."

Moreno has been too inconsistent.

Ballard and Richardson both have big question marks over their heads at this point, I dont think bringing in another questionable player would help.

If Brown hadn't stepped up last season we would have been in trouble, you can't count on being lucky again.

Ballard and Richardson both have big question marks over their heads at this point, I dont think bringing in another questionable player would help.

If Brown hadn't stepped up last season we would have been in trouble, you can't count on being lucky again.

inconsistent.?..1,000 yards on a passing team...200 vs. the Patriots

I don't think he's questionable

If it were me, I'd change the Broncos RB coach. How many years do they have to endure game changing fumbles before they realize maybe the RB coach has a bit to do with it??? Belichick or Sean Payton would have canned that guy last season.

You saw it with McGahee, you saw it with Moreno early on, you saw it with Hillman and you saw a bit of it with Ball too. In fact, that is one reason I want Donald Brown on my team, he still has not lost a SINGLE fumble in his NFL career. Plus, thanks to Satele's ineptitude of being in no man's land and deflecting the playoff fumble of DB, we got Luck's highlight sandlot TD reel :).

he has been in the league 5 years and this was his first 1000 yard season. He hasn't consistently stayed healthy or put up big numbers.

That's not the real world..for running backs

1,000 yards and 12 TDs....and he was healthy last year...

Hard to say a guy is injury prone after a healthy 1,000-yard season, isn't it?

If it were me, I'd change the Broncos RB coach. How many years do they have to endure game changing fumbles before they realize maybe the RB coach has a bit to do with it??? Belichick or Sean Payton would have canned that guy last season.

You saw it with McGahee, you saw it with Moreno early on, you saw it with Hillman and you saw a bit of it with Ball too. In fact, that is one reason I want Donald Brown on my team, he still has not lost a SINGLE fumble in his NFL career. Plus, thanks to Satele's ineptitude of being in no man's land and deflecting the playoff fumble of DB, we got Luck's highlight sandlot TD reel :).

Players probably dont fumble because of the RB coach.....fumblesw are 100% o the player.

(That';s why I want Brown to stay in Indy, too..but that ship has sailed

Players probably dont fumble because of the RB coach.....fumbles are 100% on the player.

(That';s why I want Brown to stay in Indy, too..but that ship has sailed

I agree to an extent but on the 100% part, I don't completely buy that. The RB coach can focus on more drills with 1 defender to hold up the RB while others try to hit him or strip him of the ball. It is not a question of what the RB coach did wrong, it is a question of what he did not do to improve ball security.

There has got to be a reason top down that the Broncos were still bottom 25% of the league in turnover differential.

That's not the real world..for running backs

1,000 yards and 12 TDs....and he was healthy last year...

Hard to say a guy is injury prone after a healthy 1,000-yard season, isn't it?

Um, no...not when he missed significant time in the 3 seasons prior.  Was Bob Sanders no longer injury prone after the 2007 season?

Um, no...not when he missed significant time in the 3 seasons prior.  Was Bob Sanders no longer injury prone after the 2007 season?

UH, yes..we';re talking running backs.....they have a short shelf life.

No RB plays every game for several years in a row. You know that. Almost ALL of them miss significant time

Adrian Peterson did last year..neither did Matt Forte....I'd take them..

Moreno ran for 1,000 in a passing offense and he pass protected well..He'd be perfect for the Colts

Look at the Colts last year..

..You get a back..use him.....and don't worry about 2 years from now/

Live for today...

UH, yes..we';re talking running backs.....they have a short shelf life.

No RB plays every game for several years in a row. You know that. Almost ALL of them miss significant time

Adrian Peterson did last year..neither did Matt Forte....I'd take them..

Moreno ran for 1,000 in a passing offense and he pass protected well..He'd be perfect for the Colts

Look at the Colts last year..

..You get a back..use him.....and don't worry about 2 years from now/

Live for today...

I disagree and would have no desire to look at Moreno. 

running backs..they all get hurt....bet on 1,000-yard guys

He has been hurt in over half the seasons he has played and has missed substantial time because of the injuries.

We aren't talking about he missed 2 games, he has missed almost entire seasons.

The Broncos seem to be in no hurry to resign him after his great season.

Someone will throw more money then they should at him, I just dont want it to be the Colts.

He isnt gonna play for what Bradshaw signed for, he will want a substantial pay day. It would be cheaper to keep Brown probably.

You have to have two RBs and they all get hurt

Richardson and Ballard.  Maybe/Maybe Not on Brown and Bradshaw (I'm guessing not on both).  Even then we still have Herron and Rainey.  Could also spend a late round draft pick on a RB or look at some UDFA's.  No need to spend money on a vet RB with an injury history that spans over several seasons.

I'd rather spend the money to bring Brown back rather than go after Moreno.

Jason..

I would to....but our new management does not like Donald Brown

They've expressed that in every way they can..they want the smash mouth collison style runner

Say all the bad things you want about Moreno but that's him

Great.  Fantastic.  However Moreno is not the only RB of that mold and we will actually already have 2 RBs that do fit that mold in Ballard and Richardson.  If they want another they can draft one late or bring in an UDFA or 2.  So again, no need to spend money on a vet RB with an injury history that spans over several seasons.

We aren't gonna sign Moreno. Grigson still thinks Richardson is gonna learn to play big boy football so he isnt gonna bring in anyone decent or high dollar.

Not that Moreno is anything special, but he will want more money then we will be willing to spend.

We will pick up a UDFA or someone who will play for vet minimum.

Which means unless Ballard comes on strong we will have the worst running game in the league.

Grigson is putting all his eggs in the Richardson basket. He just can't accept that the Browns got over on him.

He isnt anything special. A starting runningback should get 1000 yards if he doesnt get injured. Its not the huge bench mark it once was.

1000 yards is good, its not a record and Moreno was hurt 3 out of 5 seasons and missed substantial time.

A runningback averaging 3.8 ypc would have to run the ball 16 times a game to reach 1000 yards. 16 carries isnt a crazy amount and 3.8 ypc isnt a crazy amount, so when you actually break down the numbers 1000 yards is good, but it ain't spectacular.

He isnt anything special. A starting runningback should get 1000 yards if he doesnt get injured. Its not the huge bench mark it once was.

1000 yards is good, its not a record and Moreno was hurt 3 out of 5 seasons and missed substantial time.

A runningback averaging 3.8 ypc would have to run the ball 16 times a game to reach 1000 yards. 16 carries isnt a crazy amount and 3.8 ypc isnt a crazy amount, so when you actually break down the numbers 1000 yards is good, but it ain't spectacular.

I agree in general about the significance of 1,000, but you (and others) aren't being entirely fair to Moreno.

He was fifth in the NFL in yards from scrimmage and in touchdowns, while being effective running, receiving, and blocking. The 3.8 example is valid, but Moreno averaged 4.3. In that offense many of his attempts were on third down after pass-pass-pass-pass. Hard for a RB to get into a rhythm, but all season long he made quick decisions, hit holes hard, and did whatever he had to do to pick up those first downs with impressive consistency. Of course you need to be aware of "Peyton inflation", but he was an important part of their significant success no matter how you break it down. He simply "fit" that offense the same way that Lynch (whom many consider to be a star) fit his, and  Lynch had one more TD and 13 LESS yards from scrimmage. The team that signs him just need to make sure that he fits theirs

He's also a former #12 overall draft pick, so it's entirely reasonable to be as optimistic about his innate talent in the same way that people are about Richardsons - who has never come close to demonstrating the effectiveness that Moreno has. The only valid negative is his injury history, but he was solid all year and he's only 26. He took a big step forward near the end of 2012 and continued to improve since.

In short, I'm SURE that the Broncos would love to have him back, they just don't intend to overpay. Ball may well be better for a fraction of the price - but that says more about Ball than it does about Moreno. It would be fine if he ended up on the Colts, but the price has to be right. The odds are that SOMEONE will overpay, and obviously the RB position is not the position for which to do that.

In Marino's case its 1,000 yards without a lead blocker... in an offense severly committed to the pass..

....to pass it off as average is a fundamental misunderstanding of how different offenses work differently

Without a lead blocker? There's only like 5 teams in the NFL who use a FB anymore lol.

Also, his 1,000 yards came on 240 carries. It being a pass first offense is irrelevant. 

Without a lead blocker? There's only like 5 teams in the NFL who use a FB anymore lol.

Also, his 1,000 yards came on 240 carries. It being a pass first offense is irrelevant. 

and there are few teams with 1,000-yard rushers..

'pass first' mentality..throwing 55-60% of the time is irrelevant to a backs' yards gained...????  In the NFL??

again.. a fundamental misunderstanding of how the run game works....

and there are few teams with 1,000-yard rushers..

'pass first' mentality..throwing 55-60% of the time is irrelevant to a backs' yards gained...???? In the NFL??

again.. a fundamental misunderstanding of how the run game works....

The only argument to be made about being in a pass-first offense is that it limits his carries. The amount of carries and total yards doesn't make a differnce to how good he is.

The only thing that matter is the amount of efficiency he generates on those carries. He averaged 4.3 YPA. Not bad, pretty average. Being in a pass-first offense doesn't limit his ability to generate a good YPC.

The only argument to be made about being in a pass-first offense is that it limits his carries. The amount of carries and total yards doesn't make a differnce to how good he is.

The only thing that matter is the amount of efficiency he generates on those carries. He averaged 4.3 YPA. Not bad, pretty average. Being in a pass-first offense doesn't limit his ability to generate a good YPC.

actually it does, Bert...because it speaks to how the linemen block..

Denver's linemen pass block most of the time and that's what they';re best at..unless they're facing Seattle

I think the fact that Moreno was lining up behind Peyton helped him greatly. Denver was throwing touchdowns left and right, and Moreno had never been a factor in his career so far.

Peyton is behind center yelling Omaha and whatever else pops in his head. Defense doesnt want to get burned so they ain't stacking the box for the run, better to keep Peyton from putting 50 points on you through the air.

A runningback can pick up a lot of yards in that situation.

Defense is playing the pass, sending pressure on Manning. Everyone else drops back into coverage, Moreno gets the ball and takes off for a decent gain.

Nobody reads a defense like Peyton. He will inflate a runningbacks numbers.

As good as Luck is he is not on Peyton's level when it comes to reading a defense and calling audibles to take advantage of it. Plus teams are more reluctant to drop everyone into coverage because Luck can take off himself, Peyton can't run.

Moreno had 2 decent seasons and 3 injury plagued seasons, one of which was behind Peyton who as we know is good enough to make a horrible team look good.

I think Moreno is a decent runningback, not spectacular in any way. I think the injuries are a major concern because unlike Bradshaw he will be looking for a sizable payday.

Runningbacks dont last long, this will probably be Moreno's last contract in the NFL. He might make some one year deals as a backup or a fill in type player, but this will be his last substantial payday. He is gonna want to get as much as he can out of it and there is no way we should spend that kinda money for another runningback with an injury history like his.