Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would everyone be OK with...

Say we sign a competent ILB, and maybe a center, and then just a few low level free agents. Would everyone be cool with our draft picks being:

2nd- A CB like Fuller/Pyrifoy

3rd- A pass rusher (possibly a LEO to replace Walden in due time) like Smith/Sam/Lawrence

5th- Kenny Ladler, a mini Bethea, give him 2-3 years to learn behind his clone

And do whatever with our 6th and 7th picks, maybe a lineman and wide reciever.

Thoughts?

I'm okay with addressing CB in the second, but not those two guys.  Fuller is the better of the two.  But I like Keith McGill and Stanley Jean-Baptiste and they could be there in the 3rd (depends on the Combine, I think).  I'd also throw out there that the WR class is also pretty deep, and I'm pretty high on Davante Adams and Jared Abbrederis.  Adams is a bit slower and not as crisp a route runner, but he does have the tools to be a potential #1, especially under the tutelage of Wayne. 

I disagree with your 3rd round choice.  Not that drafting someone to build up behind Walden is a bad thing, but if we were going to do that, we'd be better off doing it the season or two before Walden's contract is up.  That of course assumes we want to retain him that long.  I just believe that we're better off addressing other needs, given our limited number of picks.  We could draft a NT here, though.  I think we'd be better off adding depth to our OL at this juncture.  A solid C/G type player to create competition between Thorton, Holmes, and whomever we signed in FA.  Some guys that I've really liked are Xavier Su'a-Filo, Marcus Martin, and Dakota Dozier.  All guys could potentially be there in the 3rd.

I think the 5th round selection, if Kenny were there is a good pick.  This class is noticeably thin at FS this year, I think.  And there's a pretty steep drop off after the first few guys. 

I'm okay with the general layout. But I'd take bodies to upgrade the DL over just a pass rusher. Guys like Josh Mauro and DeAndre Coleman who can play 3-4 DE. I'd also take a ILB like Bullough who can drop in coverage over a Safety. Unless the safety is Bucannon. Don't want Purifoy though.

Say we sign a competent ILB, and maybe a center, and then just a few low level free agents. Would everyone be cool with our draft picks being:

3rd- A pass rusher (possibly a LEO to replace Walden in due time) like Smith/Sam/Lawrence

Thoughts?

I'm all for using our first three picks on defense.    I'd like to use one of them on a DL and your scenario has a CB/Pass Rusher/Safety...   I know Sam and doubt he's worth a 3...  I'm less familiar with Smith and Lawrence...   not sure they're a fit for our system.

Using a 6/7 on a developmental o-lineman and another offensive piece is also fine by me....   I suspect we might find a bargain late in the draft....

Thoughts?

No Pyrifoy, would rather have McGill. Sam is more of a 5th round guy I think but like him. mini Bethea YES!

I'm okay with addressing CB in the second, but not those two guys.  Fuller is the better of the two.  But I like Keith McGill and Stanley Jean-Baptiste and they could be there in the 3rd (depends on the Combine, I think).  I'd also throw out there that the WR class is also pretty deep, and I'm pretty high on Davante Adams and Jared Abbrederis.  Adams is a bit slower and not as crisp a route runner, but he does have the tools to be a potential #1, especially under the tutelage of Wayne. 

I disagree with your 3rd round choice.  Not that drafting someone to build up behind Walden is a bad thing, but if we were going to do that, we'd be better off doing it the season or two before Walden's contract is up.  That of course assumes we want to retain him that long.  I just believe that we're better off addressing other needs, given our limited number of picks.  We could draft a NT here, though.  I think we'd be better off adding depth to our OL at this juncture.  A solid C/G type player to create competition between Thorton, Holmes, and whomever we signed in FA.  Some guys that I've really liked are Xavier Su'a-Filo, Marcus Martin, and Dakota Dozier.  All guys could potentially be there in the 3rd.

I think the 5th round selection, if Kenny were there is a good pick.  This class is noticeably thin at FS this year, I think.  And there's a pretty steep drop off after the first few guys. 

If Xavier Su'a-Filo is available in the 2nd round, I hope we pounce on him. I am afraid he will end up being a late first - early second round pick though. He would be tremendous in this offense with his athleticism on the o-line.

If we go corner in the 2nd round, I would prefer Pierre Desir. I imagine his stock will rise between now and draft day. He seems a little like Trumaine Johnson from the Rams. I think he will need a year to adjust to the pro game, but will end up as one of the better corners from this draft.

I don't know.  I like our iLBs - I think that Josh McNary and this Muambo guy will do just fine.  To me, safety is the biggest need of this team by far.  We need a starting FS in FA (even if it is Bethea), and either our 2nd or 3rd rounder to shore up the position.  We need to do something at CB also (maybe give up on Toler and bring in someone different like Walter Thurmond III).  We need more at NT...like a vet to platoon with Chapman.  There isn't any real depth at OG, so I'd like to see an heir apparent for Thomas in the draft.  And the DT/DE positions just have Redding, RJF, and Montori Hughes, right now.  Something more is needed to fill in the depth, given Redding's age and the fact that he and RJF had a few injury problems last year.  And there's the issue of getting an understudy for Mathis.  A lot of priorities come before ILB and CB, IMHO.

For the record, I'm not even perfectly ok with my own... let's call it a "plan." I just see this is as a very basic layout of a way we could move forward. Not everyone is ever going to be completely happy, but with different perspectives and values, we can build a dynasty.

Although I'm sticking by picks- for now. Personally, I'm an in-the-trenches type guy, but players make up a team- players, not positions. Therefore, weight should be placed on the individual player instead of his position, and looking at where we pick, I like our chances with these players to make an impact on our team more so than others.

If Xavier Su'a-Filo is available in the 2nd round, I hope we pounce on him. I am afraid he will end up being a late first - early second round pick though. He would be tremendous in this offense with his athleticism on the o-line.

I tend to think that Xavier will be a possible late first, early second as far as talent goes.  But then again, Warford was available in the 3rd.  So you never know.  I'm with you though, if he's there in the second, provided we didn't sign a higher profiled G in FA, then I'd pounce on him as well.  I think I'd rather address WR or CB in the 2nd, but this class is pretty deep across the board (save for FS and ILB, which, coincidentally are also team needs).  So I mean, no matter who you pick in the 2nd, you're going to be passing up on some very good players.

I tend to think that Xavier will be a possible late first, early second as far as talent goes.  But then again, Warford was available in the 3rd.  So you never know.  I'm with you though, if he's there in the second, provided we didn't sign a higher profiled G in FA, then I'd pounce on him as well.  I think I'd rather address WR or CB in the 2nd, but this class is pretty deep across the board (save for FS and ILB, which, coincidentally are also team needs).  So I mean, no matter who you pick in the 2nd, you're going to be passing up on some very good players.

The amount of top tier prospects that will be available to us in the 2nd is going to be ridiculous. I think Miami will pounce on Xaver, and another team will get David Yankey. But Gabe Jackson might also be there.

For WR's, I'm almost certain that Jordan Matthews and Allen would both be there. But I actually like the ILB class. I thought that and CB were the deepest positions in the draft. I just feel as if a lot of the guys being billed as the top LB's are overrated. Not a huge fan of Smallwood and Borland. But I like Bullough, Andrew Jackson, Preston Brown,etc...

I agree with FS though. Unless Bucannon falls to us, we should just wait until next year to get a Safety. I know Pryor will be gone, and I'm not "wowed" over Ed Reynolds. Lets use the 5th for a DE/DT

The amount of top tier prospects that will be available to us in the 2nd is going to be ridiculous. I think Miami will pounce on Xaver, and another team will get David Yankey. But Gabe Jackson might also be there.

For WR's, I'm almost certain that Jordan Matthews and Allen would both be there. But I actually like the ILB class. I thought that and CB were the deepest positions in the draft. I just feel as if a lot of the guys being billed as the top LB's are overrated. Not a huge fan of Smallwood and Borland. But I like Bullough, Andrew Jackson, Preston Brown,etc...

I agree with FS though. Unless Bucannon falls to us, we should just wait until next year to get a Safety. I know Pryor will be gone, and I'm not "wowed" over Ed Reynolds. Lets use the 5th for a DE/DT

I like Smallwood, but I think he's a bit overrated as well.  I'm definitely with you on Bullough, despite the fact he's getting a bit of hate on these forums.  Andrew Jackson would be a good substitute for Bullough if he's not available, he's just weaker in the pass game.  Jury is still out on Preston Brown.  Most these guys would be avaialble later in teh draft, maybe with the exception of Smallwood and Bullough (both of whom I'm seeing conflicting assessments).

Someone suggested Kenny Ladler, and after looking into him, I wouldn't mind using a 5th on him.  Don't think he'd be an immediate starter, but could work his way into a starting role.  He won't be a game changer, but I think he'd be an above average player.

I like Smallwood, but I think he's a bit overrated as well.  I'm definitely with you on Bullough, despite the fact he's getting a bit of hate on these forums.  Andrew Jackson would be a good substitute for Bullough if he's not available, he's just weaker in the pass game.  Jury is still out on Preston Brown.  Most these guys would be avaialble later in teh draft, maybe with the exception of Smallwood and Bullough (both of whom I'm seeing conflicting assessments).

Someone suggested Kenny Ladler, and after looking into him, I wouldn't mind using a 5th on him.  Don't think he'd be an immediate starter, but could work his way into a starting role.  He won't be a game changer, but I think he'd be an above average player.

People want Smallwood because they swear he's so good in coverage. But go watch the Michigan tape and he's a big question mark. Motor, speed,power,etc...is all questionable. You watch Bullough against the same team and he's exactly what you want in an ILB.

But I agree on safety. I'd take a safety later for development, rather than trying to draft a guy high.

What I have seen with Smallwood leaves me underwhelmed. The only ILB that has really intrigued me is Shayne Skov, but I am concerned about his knee. A number of people have mentioned Borland from Wisconsin, but he seems like Gary Brackett Jr to me. I don't see how he is even remotely a fit in this defense. He is smaller than Angerer. I like Bullough despite his weight. He just seems like a Grigson type of guy. If he slips into the later rounds, I would give him a shot.

A guy I would keep an eye on for the 5th or 6th round is Ethan Westbrooks from West Texas A&M. He is 6'4" 260 lbs. A productive guy at a small school. It will be interesting to see his combine numbers, but could be a late round possibility to help boost the pass rush. I have seen that his stock his rising, although that seems to be have the players in this draft depending on the site you read.

What I have seen with Smallwood leaves me underwhelmed. The only ILB that has really intrigued me is Shayne Skov, but I am concerned about his knee. A number of people have mentioned Borland from Wisconsin, but he seems like Gary Brackett Jr to me. I don't see how he is even remotely a fit in this defense. He is smaller than Angerer. I like Bullough despite his weight. He just seems like a Grigson type of guy. If he slips into the later rounds, I would give him a shot.

A guy I would keep an eye on for the 5th or 6th round is Ethan Westbrooks from West Texas A&M. He is 6'4" 260 lbs. A productive guy at a small school. It will be interesting to see his combine numbers, but could be a late round possibility to help boost the pass rush. I have seen that his stock his rising, although that seems to be have the players in this draft depending on the site you read.

I'll have to look into Westbrooks.  I agree about Skov.  For me, the guy's injury history pushes him down further in the draft.  And I don't think I'd be comfortable drafting him where I think where he'll eventually be drafted.  But we'll see.