Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Intense Preparation Puts Teammates on Edge

sweetsurrender

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manning did throw two pics that were completely on him, but he did not play all that poorly.

I disagree, he played poorly and I don't agree that just because he was able to dink and dunk short passes to get his completions up is a sign that he played well.  He wasn't able to move the ball, he had an incredible number of three and outs, he committed 2 turnovers that were on him and when he did complete passes it was short and the seahawks just came up and swarmed the ball carrier.

It was a poor performance by the entire team and that most assuredly includes Manning.  They were able to get some garbage time yards when Seattle started to play 2 and 3 deep safeties and loosen up underneath, and is why there is the old wise saying that "stats are for losers" because you can see by watching the game and how it played out that the Broncos were horrid all game long.   His completion percentage doesn't change that fact, especially when you factor in the context of those completions and when/how he got them.

It doesn't diminish his career or anything, hes still one of the greatest ever, but he had a poor performance in that Super Bowl.

If you didn't already know the outcome of that game and just saw his completions vs attempts and yardage, you'd believe the Broncos won. 

I didn't say he played well, I said he didn't play that poorly.  Certainly not as poorly as some of you seem to think

If you didn't already know the outcome of that game and just saw his completions vs attempts and yardage, you'd believe the Broncos won. 

I didn't say he played well, I said he didn't play that poorly.  Certainly not as poorly as some of you seem to think

It was his worst performance of the season. That is the only point I was making to another poster.

I'm not a Manning basher, but I'm pretty sure even Peyton himself would tell you that his individual performance was very disappointing. The whole team played poorly, don't get me wrong, but throw the numbers out. Anyone who watched that game knew it was one of the toughest of his postseason career.

That's not a knock, it happens. Even the greats don't deliver 100% of the time.

no doubt. It was the toughest.

You do realize that the majority of those completions came when Seattle went into prevent because the game was a blow out? And 34 was not his highest total of the season for him. He threw 39 vs Tennessee and was 25 for 28 vs Oakland in just the first half. Had he played the second half he probably completes 40+ easily.

I am not sure why you think this was a "good" game from Manning. You are the only here or anywhere that I have seen try to make a case for him. I agree that the total loss is not on him as no one from Denver played well and Seattle's D was a beast but early in the game his defense was playing well holding Seattle to just two FGs after the safety so it was only 8-0 when it easily could have been 16-0. And then when it was 15-0 with Denver driving to score to cut the lead in half, he threw the pick six that pretty much ended the game IMO as there was no way Seattle was going to blow a 22 point lead.

my bad, some reason i read it as a 29. I didnt say it wss a great game. But it wasnt a bad performance either. His numbers for yards arent higher cause his receivers couldnt get anywhere after the catch. The QB's is to throw thr ball accurately to his receivers. He did that. Were there a few plays he missed a better option to throw to? Definitely. But the throws he did decide he made. After that, its not on him. Again, i apply this logic to all QB's. I just hate the culture that they get all credit and all blame.

my bad, some reason i read it as a 29. I didnt say it wss a great game. But it wasnt a bad performance either. His numbers for yards arent higher cause his receivers couldnt get anywhere after the catch. The QB's is to throw thr ball accurately to his receivers. He did that. Were there a few plays he missed a better option to throw to? Definitely. But the throws he did decide he made. After that, its not on him. Again, i apply this logic to all QB's. I just hate the culture that they get all credit and all blame.

Yes, I agree. Too much credit and too much blame. I think what is tough for Manning is he is so brilliant during the regular season that when he struggles in the post-season it is glaring. Still, Denver will be the favorite next year to come out of the AFC. 

Sure they don't. That must be why they pulled Wilson for Tavares Jackson because they were intent on piling on.

Jackson doesn't play defense. And why not give the back up the final series of a blow out?

Besides, trying to preserve a shout does not equate to piling it on. I don't believe Seattle ever went into a "prevent" defense in the Super Bowl. They simply gave up a TD they tried to prevent.

Jackson doesn't play defense. And why not give the back up the final series of a blow out?

Besides, trying to preserve a shout does not equate to piling it on. I don't believe Seattle ever went into a "prevent" defense in the Super Bowl. They simply gave up a TD they tried to prevent.

I do think they were trying to preserve the shut out but the Broncos scored at the end of the third quarter. For most of the fourth they let  the Broncos have anything they wanted underneath to burn clock. This is when most of the short completions were made.

I do think they were trying to preserve the shut out but the Broncos scored at the end of the third quarter. For most of the fourth they let  the Broncos have anything they wanted underneath to burn clock. This is when most of the short completions were made.

For most of the game, Seattle seems to let the receivers catch the mid to short range passes and punish them when they did. They pretty much shut down the deep routes the entire game. Manning completed a lot of passes and not just in the fourth quarter when it was out of reach.

For most of the game, Seattle seems to let the receivers catch the mid to short range passes and punish them when they did. They pretty much shut down the deep routes the entire game. Manning completed a lot of passes and not just in the fourth quarter when it was out of reach.

Yeah, the short game was there but Denver did not have a first down until the second quarter and did not score until the end of the third. I think that was the point. The passes that were completed did not extend drives or lead to points. And that was true the whole game.

Yeah, the short game was there but Denver did not have a first down until the second quarter and did not score until the end of the third. I think that was the point. The passes that were completed did not extend drives or lead to points. And that was true the whole game.

I agree. I just dispute the idea that Seattle went into a "prevent defense" in the later stages of the game. That's not the way they play. They can't all of a sudden play a style they don't normally play.

I agree. I just dispute the idea that Seattle went into a "prevent defense" in the later stages of the game. That's not the way they play. They can't all of a sudden play a style they don't normally play.

I have not watched the formations close enough to say either way. It did seem as though the safeties played deeper later in the game once the Hawks were up by four scores. I don't remember seeing them flying around as much. But they may have stayed in their base defense. Sherman also went out with an injury in the fourth so that would have affected their aggressiveness as well.

And I bet Welker is still seeing nightmarish visions of Kam Chancellor in his sleep...