Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated Colts Free Agency and Mock

ILB in mid rounds is really strong.  I like Chis Borland in the 3rd.  Shayne Skov and Yawin Smallwood would be nice too.  I don't see any O-line help at 2 or 3 unles Gabe Jackson slides a long way.  I don't think Travis Swanson is worth a second rounder.  Again, our DL is painful, but I think the best players would be linebackers.

2.  Carl Bradford

3.  Chris Borland

I'd go defense with our first picks, but I could definately take Jared Abbrederis in the third if he was best talent available. 

Now this is my kind of draft for the Colts...

Round 2 Pick 27: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (A)
Round 3 Pick 28 (CAR): Victor Hampton, CB, South Carolina (A)
Round 4 Pick 28 (CAR): Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois (A)
Round 6 Pick 27: Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State (A)
Round 7 Pick 16: Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas ©

We get a future #1 WR in Robinson, a very talented and physical corner who could start opposite Davis with some tutorship from Pagano, and talented DL to add pass rush in Johnson, an underrated FS in Ward, and depth at C and CB.

Would really like this draft...

Round 2 Pick 31 (DEN): David Yankey, OG, Stanford (A)
Round 3 Pick 26: Dion Bailey, FS, Dion Bailey, FS, Southern California (A)
Round 3 Pick 31 (DEN): DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida (A)
Round 6 Pick 27: L'Damian Washington, WR, Missouri (A)
Round 7 Pick 16: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (B)

We help out the trenches, get a talented starting FS, and add some sleeper picks on offense in Washington and Thomas.

I agree that week probably do something minor in the later rounds, but I count 2 extra third round picks and a 4th, unrealistic trade for a second. Plus trades are just so hard to mock and we have no idea if we will trade

The 2 extra 3rd round picks and the 4th round pick didn't come from just one trade.  That would be very unrealistic.  But the OP's multiple picks came from multiple trade downs. :)

Yeah I haven't watched most of the Senior Bowl yet actually, Im getting ready to do that, I have seen my share of Auburn games this year and watched some film on him in doing so. Will be a good player I think if he goes to the right team in the right system, Just a shame many dont take that stuff into account when a player is drafted, Not all players drafted are good scheme fits and fans get all up in arms when they dont work out.....well they were set up to fail

It's also a shame when people write off a player just because he played a different scheme in college.  It gets really old and annoying seeing people post the same "he's not a LB, he's a 43 DE" or vice versa with absolutely nothing to back it up with.  At least you provided reasons for saying why you think Ford would be better at 4-3OLB.  

hum .. makes me reminisce about our recent 1st round pick Werner.. he played in a 4-3 and we put him in a 3-4 and he looked out of position or very uncomfortable in his new scheme.. I hope he makes the jump and produces, I also hope this is not a sign of our FO / coaches... seems allot like another 1st round pick Hughes and look how he played this year back in the 4-3

Players transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB pretty frequently.  The scouts and coaches watched Werner do all of the LB drills and were more than confident that he could make the transition.  

I'm also a bit confused on the point you are trying to make with the comparison to Hughes.

Players transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB pretty frequently.  The scouts and coaches watched Werner do all of the LB drills and were more than confident that he could make the transition.  

I'm also a bit confused on the point you are trying to make with the comparison to Hughes.

Didn't Grigson and Pagano also make a special trip to Florida before the draft to put Werner through more drills (including LB drills) before the draft ... seems like I remember that story after the draft?

Didn't Grigson and Pagano also make a special trip to Florida before the draft to put Werner through more drills (including LB drills) before the draft ... seems like I remember that story after the draft?

What you are talking about is what I was referring to but I couldn't remember if it was at a pro day, a private workout or what.  But yeah, as you said, they made a concerted effort to make sure he was athletic enough to play the position.

I agree with those who think a WR in the draft helps us.  I can't understand the optimism about Da'Rick; possibly, but no sure thing.  The draft always depends on who is available; this draft has unusual depth at WR (at 58, maybe Jarvis Landry, Devante Adams or Paul Richardson).  3rd round pick I'd say ILB; in the third round Shayne Skov, Chris Borland or Christian Jones will probably be there, and possibly Yawin Smallwood.  No one knows at this point before the Combine.

The same thing applies in FA.  There are a half dozen good cornerbacks.  There are only three centers:  Alex Mack, Evan Dietrich Smith, and Brian de la Puente;  I hope we cut Satele and sign one of them.

So: my FA/draft dream team is: Jarvis Landry, Shayne Skov, Alex Mack, Vontae Davis and Alteraun Verner.  If Geoff Schwartz is available for 4-5 M (Kansas City guard) that would be great too (and eat up all of our cap space :).

I agree with those who think a WR in the draft helps us. I can't understand the optimism about Da'Rick; possibly, but no sure thing.

I got news for ya, Da'Rick is much more of a sure thing than any WR in the draft. You know why? Because he's already played and somewhat proved himself at the NFL level in his very few chances. Thats much more than any WR in this draft has shown. Maybe you don't know much about Rogers but he has all the talent to be a pro-bowl receiver, he just has to be given more opportunities. IMO he has the potential to be our future #1. I've said it a million times but many Colts fans are absolutely obsessed with the WR position and they always think we need more of them. We may sign a vet WR for cheap or we may target one in the draft, but its not because we have a major need for one, it'll be because there's one available in the draft who's talent ya just can't pass up, or because the team may think Reggie might not be 100% at the start of the season.

The 2 extra 3rd round picks and the 4th round pick didn't come from just one trade.  That would be very unrealistic.  But the OP's multiple picks came from multiple trade downs. :)

It's also a shame when people write off a player just because he played a different scheme in college.  It gets really old and annoying seeing people post the same "he's not a LB, he's a 43 DE" or vice versa with absolutely nothing to back it up with.  At least you provided reasons for saying why you think Ford would be better at 4-3OLB.  

Well, I read plenty of scouting reports and compare those to what I see on film...also looking for what those reports say, If I dont see it then I say so regardless who disagrees, When I personally right off a player its because I am looking for a specific trait based on what a typical OLB (Regardless if he is 3-4 or 4-3) needs be able to do and thats make some tackles in space quite a bit and to do that you need more then play recognition skills in the NFL, you need to have hip flexiblity (which is why I wasn't 100 percent all in on Werner but do think he will get better, He made alot of plays against the run off play recogniton at Florida State and watching the ball which to me thats what you want to do, flow to the ball but on the times that your wrong on plays and get caught out of position you need that flexibility to right yourself into a better position....Hope that all makes sense)

We need a lot of help in a lot of places, but there could be incredible talent available for WR with our picks.  The more I read about Jarvis Landry the more I like.  A lineman or defender would have to be incredible to pass on Landry.  I'm not WR crazy, but Landry looks like a difference maker.  Watching Whalen and Rogers as our #2 didn't really inpire me.  I'm all about the big uglies and defense, but I'd have trouble passing on Landry.  Jared Abbrederis could be a stud in the 3rd too.  That is just how this draft is looking.

Another day, another stab at it.

2.  Michael Sam  OLB

3.  Stanley Jean-Baptiste  CB

5.  Alden Darby  S

7.  Andre Hal  CB

FA  Spencer Long  OG

FA  Damien Williams  RB

I'm relaxing my push for DL.  Chapman and Francois should be fine if we surround them with studs

UFA  Brian De La Puente  OC  Saints in cap touble - Go Get Him

UFA  Jon Asamoah  Good player no longer needed.  I smell a bargain.  I'm definately on the FA OG bandwagon now.

UFA  Randy Starks   -  I couldn't resist one stud DE.  I agree with posters who say Starks would make a bigger impact than Paul Soliai

I think that plugs quite a few holes.  Even with so few picks, I'm excited by this draft.

Rodgers       Fleener Castonzo Thomas  De La Puente  Asamoah Cherilus Allen         Hilton         

(Whalen)      (Doyle) (Linkenbach) (Thornton)  (Holmes)   (Long)             (Saunders)  (Brazil)

(Hayward-Bey)

Luck

(Harnish)             

Richardson           (Havili)

(Ballard)

(T.  Choice)

Davis                Redding     Chapman    Starks            Jean-Baptiste

(Toler)            (M. Hughes)  (Cobble)   (Francois)        (Butler)

(Gordy)           (Mathews)                                             (Hal)      

Mathis       Conner     Freeman      Sam  

(Werner)   (Mcnary)   (Sheppard)   (Walden)

(C. Johnson) 

Landry                    Bethea

(Howell)                   (Darby)

Vinitieri

Overton

McAfee

I might go for cheaper Special Teams, and I wasn't able to draft an ILB.  I need one more good WR, backup OT, and a backup NT.  If Hasselbeck retires, we definately would need another vetern backup QB.    

Rodgers       Fleener Castonzo Thomas  De La Puente  Asamoah Cherilus Allen         Hilton         

(Whalen)      (Doyle) (Linkenbach) (Thornton)  (Holmes)   (Long)             (Saunders)  (Brazil)

(Hayward-Bey)

Luck

(Harnish)             

Richardson           (Havili)

(Ballard)

(T.  Choice)

Davis                Redding     Chapman    Starks            Jean-Baptiste

(Toler)            (M. Hughes)  (Cobble)   (Francois)        (Butler)

(Gordy)           (Mathews)                                             (Hal)      

Mathis       Conner     Freeman      Sam  

(Werner)   (Mcnary)   (Sheppard)   (Walden)

(C. Johnson) 

Landry                    Bethea

(Howell)                   (Darby)

Vinitieri

Overton

McAfee

I might go for cheaper Special Teams, and I wasn't able to draft an ILB.  I need one more good WR, backup OT, and a backup NT.  If Hasselbeck retires, we definately would need another vetern backup QB.    

Your forgetting a legend. ;). Also, Conner won't be starting next to Freeman, I doubt he's even brought back.