Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Heat's on Welker, too

amfootball

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10287141/wes-welker-pressure-deliver-2013-nfl-playoffs

Interesting article on how Welker needs to perform well Sunday not just Manning. Welker had two drops vs SD and one was for a TD that bounced right off his hands. I will say though that he has not looked himself since the concussions. I wonder if Denver picks up his option at season's end.

You know the first things that ran through my head was 2007. Brady had already won his divisional round game and Peyton was following the next day with his divisional round vs the Chargers.

Marvin Harrison comes back after missing several games, then fumbles the ball with the Colts having a chance to go up 14-0 while being up 7-0. Same happened here, Broncos with a chance to go up 14-0 and driving up 7-0, Julius Thomas fumbles. Then Welker, that missed action drops a key ball close to the goal line on 3rd down, and they barely made a FG.

I almost felt like there was relief amongst Broncos players and management, top down, to get past this divisional round. They made their ample share of mistakes reflecting how tight they were, IMO.

That is also the reason that I believe that they will loosen up more the next game, Welker included.

You know the first things that ran through my head was 2007. Brady had already won his divisional round game and Peyton was following the next day with his divisional round vs the Chargers.

Marvin Harrison comes back after missing several games, then fumbles the ball with the Colts having a chance to go up 14-0 while being up 7-0. Same happened here, Broncos with a chance to go up 14-0 and driving up 7-0, Julius Thomas fumbles. Then Welker, that missed action drops a key ball close to the goal line on 3rd down, and they barely made a FG.

I almost felt like there was relief amongst Broncos players and management, top down, to get past this divisional round. They made their ample share of mistakes reflecting how tight they were, IMO.

That is also the reason that I believe that they will loosen up more the next game, Welker included.

I agree. Sunday kind of did seem much bigger then a divisional round game mostly because the media was really riding Manning and his losses and of course Denver as a team given what happened last year vs Baltimore. I wonder if there will be a little bit of an emotional let down this week? Or like you said, they could be even looser.

I have a feeling Welker will have a big game Sunday.  But I also feel Julian Edelman will have a big game too since he's also a good slot receiver and since that Broncos' safety shot his mouth off bad mouthing Edleman.  Dumb move.

At this point in both players' careers I will take Edelman over Welker and I'm not saying that as a Patriots fan.  I would take Edelman because he doesn't have the concussion issue and hopefully won't and he doesn't seem to drop those ever important balls that Welker drops.  Edelman is better at returning punts and is a little more versatile.  Edelman has over 100 receptions this year.  Edelman will also command less money in the open free market too.  I think Edelman can be had for less than Welker.  Edelman has been a little more dependable and reliable in 2013 than Welker has.

There's more pressure on Welker too.  Broncos are around 4.5 point favorites as of right now.

I have to try and remember that jokers name that used to tell me Welker left for more money.

I believe it was the Titans who offered Welker the most money.  The Broncos didn't really offer Welker much more than the Patriots did.  In fact the Patriots were going to continue to negotiate with Welker until his agent shut down talks and went to the Broncos in some ways out of spite.  If it wasn't for Welker's agent I think the Pats would have ended up matching the Broncos' offer and Welker would have possibly still be playing with the Pats.

I believe it was the Titans who offered Welker the most money.  The Broncos didn't really offer Welker much more than the Patriots did.  In fact the Patriots were going to continue to negotiate with Welker until his agent shut down talks and went to the Broncos in some ways out of spite.  If it wasn't for Welker's agent I think the Pats would have ended up matching the Broncos' offer and Welker would have possibly still be playing with the Pats.

True but I think Welker's agent did what he did because Welker told him too. I think his issues with Bill got the better of him.

I have a feeling Welker will have a big game Sunday.  But I also feel Julian Edelman will have a big game too since he's also a good slot receiver and since that Broncos' safety shot his mouth off bad mouthing Edleman.  Dumb move.

At this point in both players' careers I will take Edelman over Welker and I'm not saying that as a Patriots fan.  I would take Edelman because he doesn't have the concussion issue and hopefully won't and he doesn't seem to drop those ever important balls that Welker drops.  Edelman is better at returning punts and is a little more versatile.  Edelman has over 100 receptions this year.  Edelman will also command less money in the open free market too.  I think Edelman can be had for less than Welker.  Edelman has been a little more dependable and reliable in 2013 than Welker has.

There's more pressure on Welker too.  Broncos are around 4.5 point favorites as of right now.

I doubt Welker will play well against his old team since his old boss would never allow him to beat them. They'd rather other Denver playmakers beat them if it ends up that way. I watched the replay of Denver at Pats and obviously Welker was under huge pressure and did not play well. 

For most slot receivers the younger the better since they continuously take punishments at the middle of the field, which can wear them down over years. Welker might be special, but it still won't last longer than maybe next year.

True and it looks to be working out pretty well for the Patriots. This guy couldn't grasp the fact that Welker was under a 1 year 6 million dollar contract. He thought he was signed for 2 at 12 million when in fact the Bronco have a team option for the second year. Wes is playing for 6 million.  

True but I think Welker's agent did what he did because Welker told him too. I think his issues with Bill got the better of him.

I think the old "Patriots way" can easily * most veterans off. At the end for even a little difference Pats do not like to negotiate since they want to show their toughness. Players generally have already compromised a lot to stay with the team but at this kind of moments they'd take the pride and leave.

Welker did what most free agents would do and what most agents tell their free agent clients to do = test the open free market and see what you're worth.

I think Welker and his agent were over confident in thinking how much they could get and when they saw not many teams were interested in Welker and didn't offer him as much as he thought he was worth that stung.  I think Welker and his agent thought Welker could get Calvin Johnson/Larry Fritzgerald WR money.  No where close to that!

Welker chose Denver because they offered him a competitive deal but mostly because Peyton was there which I respect.

Welker did what most free agents would do and what most agents tell their free agent clients to do = test the open free market and see what you're worth.

I think Welker and his agent were over confident in thinking how much they could get and when they saw not many teams were interested in Welker and didn't offer him as much as he thought he was worth that stung.  I think Welker and his agent thought Welker could get Calvin Johnson/Larry Fritzgerald WR money.  No where close to that!

Welker chose Denver because they offered him a competitive deal but mostly because Peyton was there which I respect.

His new brides from Denver.

I think the old "Patriots way" can easily * most veterans off. At the end for even a little difference Pats do not like to negotiate since they want to show their toughness. Players generally have already compromised a lot to stay with the team but at this kind of moments they'd take the pride and leave.

For sure but the system works. Bill generally moves on from aging vets a year or two before they are done. He gets criticized the most for this as fans grow attached to players and want to see them stay but I think he has proven that you have to move on and replace with younger guys to keep the cap in place and also increase the competiveness of the team.

Welker was unique though in that they offered him two separate contracts that he turned down. I think he and his agent misjudged the market more than anything else.

And this approach has hurt them in the past like with...

Lawyer Milloy

Ty Law

Asante Samuel

Randall Gay

Deion Branch

Richard Seymour

Aquib Talib is a free agent at the end of the season and I hope the Pats do NOT play hard ball with him and * him and his agent off where he feels disrespected and he just leaves for another team out of spite.  They need to make competitive offers to keep him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10287141/wes-welker-pressure-deliver-2013-nfl-playoffs

Interesting article on how Welker needs to perform well Sunday not just Manning. Welker had two drops vs SD and one was for a TD that bounced right off his hands. I will say though that he has not looked himself since the concussions. I wonder if Denver picks up his option at season's end.

Welker didn't leave NR willingly....and he has multiple concussions..as you say

the only pressure on him Sunday is to finish the game and not wake up Monday in the hospital

For sure but the system works. Bill generally moves on from aging vets a year or two before they are done. He gets criticized the most for this as fans grow attached to players and want to see them stay but I think he has proven that you have to move on and replace with younger guys to keep the cap in place and also increase the competiveness of the team.

Welker was unique though in that they offered him two separate contracts that he turned down. I think he and his agent misjudged the market more than anything else.

The Patriots way work most of the times since in NFL veterans can wear down quickly from their peak, and younger guys are cheaper. This works very well for positions taking most of the punishments, such as LB, safety, slot receivers, and RB.

But this can only work when the coach's judgment on the young guys' talent level is accurate. Belichick misjudged many times on the defensive players they took in the past 4-5 years, and their selections of WRs were never correct. Their RBs were also very questionable. One thing that was countering the Patriots way was to build everything around Brady, and luckily that part worked.

And this approach has hurt them in the past like with...

Lawyer Milloy

Ty Law

Asante Samuel

Randall Gay

Deion Branch

Richard Seymour

Aquib Talib is a free agent at the end of the season and I hope the Pats do NOT play hard ball with him and * him and his agent off where he feels disrespected and he just leaves for another team out of spite.  They need to make competitive offers to keep him.

I think Samuel was overrated. Seymour was asking for too much. Branch was never an elite player although he was one of the best Pats wideouts other than Moss. Belichick is a genius but he has never done well on evaluating receivers in drafts.

The problem was Pats did not find enough talents to replace these guys in the past 4-5 yrs. The overall quality of the team is not comparable to the team that won the SBs. People like to praise Belichick for his getting the most out of his mediocre team and going deep into the playoff every year, but not winning the SB has a lot to do with his failure in evaluate talents lately.

The Patriots way work most of the times since in NFL veterans can wear down quickly from their peak, and younger guys are cheaper. This works very well for positions taking most of the punishments, such as LB, safety, slot receivers, and RB.

But this can only work when the coach's judgment on the young guys' talent level is accurate. Belichick misjudged many times on the defensive players they took in the past 4-5 years, and their selections of WRs were never correct. Their RBs were also very questionable. One thing that was countering the Patriots way was to build everything around Brady, and luckily that part worked.

You are confusing two separate issues here. The first is NE's approach to aging vets and the second is their ability to draft well. The majority of players they have moved on from that were aging have not had great careers post-Pats and would prove the Pats were correct in moving on instead of paying them top contracts for dwindling production. In terms of their drafting, Bill has definitely missed with DBs and WRs but that is pretty much par for the course of most GMs across the league. Evaluating draft talent may be the hardest job in the NFL and one that is generally a 50/50 proposition.

Patriots should resign Aqib Talib to a 3 year deal and make him a top 4 highest paid CB in the NFL because he's a top 4 CB.  He's been their MVP on defense this season.

Talib is the best CB the Patriots have had since Ty Law.  In some ways he's like Ty Law.  Both are good size and physical and will play the line of scrimmage and bump and run.  Where as Asante Samuel would play way back and then try to jump routes.

I think Samuel was overrated. Seymour was asking for too much. Branch was never an elite player although he was one of the best Pats wideouts other than Moss. Belichick is a genius but he has never done well on evaluating receivers in drafts.

The problem was Pats did not find enough talents to replace these guys in the past 4-5 yrs. The overall quality of the team is not comparable to the team that won the SBs. People like to praise Belichick for his getting the most out of his mediocre team and going deep into the playoff every year, but not winning the SB has a lot to do with his failure in evaluate talents lately.

"The problem was Pats did not find enough talents to replace these guys in the past 4-5 yrs."

And that's why the Patriots need to resign Talib because there's no one really as good as Talib as of now to replace him with.

A great CB is one of the hardest position players to find in the NFL.  When they get a good one you hold onto him.

Patriots should resign Aqib Talib to a 3 year deal and make him a top 4 highest paid CB in the NFL because he's a top 4 CB.  He's been their MVP on defense this season.

Talib is the best CB the Patriots have had since Ty Law.  In some ways he's like Ty Law.  Both are good size and physical and will play the line of scrimmage and bump and run.  Where as Asante Samuel would play way back and then try to jump routes.

I think they get Talib done. It is Endleman that I am not sure of. Depends what the market dictates for him.

I think they get Talib done. It is Endleman that I am not sure of. Depends what the market dictates for him.

I think that's more wishful thinking.  The Patriots since Belichick has been there have not valued good talent when they have it in the secondary.  Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy were from the Parcell's and Pete Carroll years.  I hope Talib stays even if it's a 4 year deal.

Patriots should resign Edelman and I don't think it will cost the Patriots too much money as they know and I think most other NFL teams know he's a product of the Patriots system.  I think his value on the open free market if he decides to test the free market will be less than Welker's.  I doubt any team gives Edelman the same amount they offered Welker.

I think that's more wishful thinking.  The Patriots since Belichick has been there have not valued good talent when they have it in the secondary.  Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy were from the Parcell's and Pete Carroll years.  I hope Talib stays even if it's a 4 year deal.

Patriots should resign Edelman and I don't think it will cost the Patriots too much money as they know and I think most other NFL teams know he's a product of the Patriots system.  I think his value on the open free market if he decides to test the free market will be less than Welker's.  I doubt any team gives Edelman the same amount they offered Welker.

Talib is 26 I think. Milloy and Law were a lot older. I think they get Talib done but much does depend on the market which was not good last year which is why they got him for 1 year at 5 mil. A complete steal. His health is a concern but he has battled this year through the hip so I think he is worth the risk.

I hope you are right about Endleman. I don't want to lose him but it only takes one team to offer him crazy money and he will be gone.

You are confusing two separate issues here. The first is NE's approach to aging vets and the second is their ability to draft well. The majority of players they have moved on from that were aging have not had great careers post-Pats and would prove the Pats were correct in moving on instead of paying them top contracts for dwindling production. In terms of their drafting, Bill has definitely missed with DBs and WRs but that is pretty much par for the course of most GMs across the league. Evaluating draft talent may be the hardest job in the NFL and one that is generally a 50/50 proposition.

I was not confusing two issues since they have to be related to each other. You can only afford to lose the veterans if you can draft well to replace them. It used to be the case but recently they replace them with sub-par pieces and the team is not very good. That is why I do not like their future after Brady and I do not think Brady will win another SB. His earlier SBs had more to do with his great team than his own brilliance.

In the part of the veterans not doing as good as they did with Pats, you have to notice how many of them actually went to bad teams, and how many went to other contenders. Welker is now competing with Pats for a spot in the SB, which cannot be compared with Seymore spending a good part of his career in the Black Hole, although Seymore was one of the best DLs for Raiders for a while.

Pats should let Edelman stay since Amendola has not proven to be a reliable target. Edelman pretty much saved the season for Pats given their injury issues. The FA market for slot receivers is not that hot either.

On the other hand Edelman should understand that he is a product of the system. If he leaves there will be nowhere he can catch more than 50 passes.

I think he will play better this week. He should have more confidence after getting through last week without any events. He didn't really do much this week except be a distraction...he was Peytons first option on only a couple passes. Julius and Demarious were the main targets all game and for good reason...big/physical and speedy guys. Having Julius this time will be big...I think if they try to put Chandler Jones on him he won't be able to cover him and it will take him out of the pass rush...look for him to be a difference maker in this game.

I was not confusing two issues since they have to be related to each other. You can only afford to lose the veterans if you can draft well to replace them. It used to be the case but recently they replace them with sub-par pieces and the team is not very good. That is why I do not like their future after Brady and I do not think Brady will win another SB. His earlier SBs had more to do with his great team than his own brilliance.

In the part of the veterans not doing as good as they did with Pats, you have to notice how many of them actually went to bad teams, and how many went to other contenders. Welker is now competing with Pats for a spot in the SB, which cannot be compared with Seymore spending a good part of his career in the Black Hole, although Seymore was one of the best DLs for Raiders for a while.

Right but by and far they have replaced them well either with other FAs or draft picks with the exception of DBs and WRs which they have missed on. If they didn't draft and sign FAs well they would not be contending the way they have every year for the past 13 years.

Not sure how the Pats will fair after Brady. So much depends on who they get to replace him and if Bill stays or not. The first three rings were as much about Brady as the team around him. No Brady=no rings. We all know that in NE.

Right but by and far they have replaced them well either with other FAs or draft picks with the exception of DBs and WRs which they have missed on. If they didn't draft and sign FAs well they would not be contending the way they have every year for the past 13 years.

Not sure how the Pats will fair after Brady. So much depends on who they get to replace him and if Bill stays or not. The first three rings were as much about Brady as the team around him. No Brady=no rings. We all know that in NE.

No I do not think the replacements were up to they veterans' level on almost all positions. The young guys are all significantly worse, especially at DBs. Belichick has better eyes on LBs and they are OK, but you can not compare the current group with the unit of Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi.

The team play in a huge mess of AFC east which hands them 5-6 wins automatically (to this standard I think Colts are also blessed to play Titans and Jags twice each and thus very overrated even with a 11-5 record). After making the playoff Pats were lucky to play a Tebow-led Broncos, an overrated Texans, and an inexperienced Colts teams in the past three years. Otherwise Pats could easily be one-and-done if they had to play Ravens and Steelers or this year's Bengals had they survived Chargers.

No I do not think the replacements were up to they veterans' level on almost all positions. The young guys are all significantly worse, especially at DBs. Belichick has better eyes on LBs and they are OK, but you can not compare the current group with the unit of Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi.

The team play in a huge mess of AFC east which hands them 5-6 wins automatically (to this standard I think Colts are also blessed to play Titans and Jags twice each and thus very overrated even with a 11-5 record). After making the playoff Pats were lucky to play a Tebow-led Broncos, an overrated Texans, and an inexperienced Colts teams in the past three years. Otherwise Pats could easily be one-and-done if they had to play Ravens and Steelers or this year's Bengals had they survived Chargers.

I am sorry but you are completely wrong. Pats have fielded a solid team every year since 2001 and their record proves that regardless of their division. They win just as many games outside of their division as they do within it which is why they have averaged 12-13 wins every year. That does not happen unless you consistently draft well and pick quality FAs. They have had their misses over their years but the hits have far outweighed the misses. If they didn't the Pats would have had a season similar to the Steelers or Giants this season and that simply has not happened because of how they build their team year to year.

So the Pats have been lucky the last three years in the divisional round? Are you joking? The Broncos had beaten the Steelers in the WC and were the hottest team in football until they came to Gillette and the Texans were 11-1 and the best team in the AFC until they came to NE in Dec last year and of course the Colts had beaten every good team this year (Denver, San Fran, Seattle, and KC twice) until they came to NE. It is more a testament of just how good the Pats have been vs the other teams being lousy teams. And I highly doubt the Pats lose to either the Andy Dalton led Bengals given his playoff woes or the Chargers who were lucky to even make it in this year.

Julius Thomas fumbles.

Not really. Horrendous call. At worst that was incomplete if not down by contact. His butt was on the ground clear as day.

Also agreed Welker needs to get his act together. I say that even though he's my second favorite player who isn't on Indy. Amendola isn't anything magical, but Edelman has done a fantastic job filling Welker's role. NE would be foolish to not resign him.

Not really. Horrendous call. At worst that was incomplete if not down by contact. His butt was on the ground clear as day.

Also agreed Welker needs to get his act together. I say that even though he's my second favorite player who isn't on Indy. Amendola isn't anything magical, but Edelman has done a fantastic job filling Welker's role. NE would be foolish to not resign him.

The Pats off-season gives me heart burn every year. I really want them to resign Endelman and Talib but I give either deal a 50/50 chance. By the end of the draft, I am usually a mess and then the season begins with the media second guessing Bill and then bingo we are in the AFCCG again for the third year in a row and then they are saying it is his best coaching job ever. I almost wonder if he does it intentionally at this point. My head hurts just thinking about the off-season...happy to have another game to focus on (with one more in two weeks hopefully) before the deluge.

Talib is 26 I think. Milloy and Law were a lot older. I think they get Talib done but much does depend on the market which was not good last year which is why they got him for 1 year at 5 mil. A complete steal. His health is a concern but he has battled this year through the hip so I think he is worth the risk.

I hope you are right about Endleman. I don't want to lose him but it only takes one team to offer him crazy money and he will be gone.

You're right Talib is 27, I thought he was older.  His birthday is in February so he'll be 28 soon.  He should get a 4 to 5 year deal which will keep him till 32 or 33.

Did the Patriots let Danny Woodhead go or did the Chargers offer him more money?  If the Patriots treat Edelman like they did to Woodhead then I think he's gone.  But the difference is both play different positions and Edelman caught 100+ receptions and the Patriots don't want to lose another good slot receiver like they did to Welker.  Plus, the Patriots running game is better with Blount and Ridley.  They better resign Blount!

Patriots have another 5 years to try to win another Super Bowl.  Brady I think will play till he's 40 at least.  I have more respect for this Patriots' team of 2013 than I did for the 2007 season.  They're more likeable with less egos and they're not as arrogant or hated.  They're sort of like the 2013 Red Sox where they got lots of unknown guys and they're doing good. I hope the outcome is the same as the Red Sox.

Patriots are set up differently now than they were on the 2007 team.  They actually have established a real power running game.  This style of team is more suited for the post season.   They BETTER resign Blount!

I think he will play better this week. He should have more confidence after getting through last week without any events. He didn't really do much this week except be a distraction...he was Peytons first option on only a couple passes. Julius and Demarious were the main targets all game and for good reason...big/physical and speedy guys. Having Julius this time will be big...I think if they try to put Chandler Jones on him he won't be able to cover him and it will take him out of the pass rush...look for him to be a difference maker in this game.

Only thing Chandler Jones does and will do is pass rush and try to stop the run.  You might be confusing Jones with Jamie Collins?  Linebacker Collins will be the one falling back playing more pass coverage like he did against the Colts where he had an excellent game!

In some ways with Brandon Spykes out and Jamie Collins in that makes the Patriots pass defense better and not as many mismatches now.  But "IF" the Patriots make it to the super bowl they will need Spykes more since the Seahawks and 49ers are more a running smash mouth team.