Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playoff success and season success

DalTXColtsFan

What do you think?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the closest answer to your opinion?

• Team A won a playoff game, team B didn't, so team A had a better season
    • Team B dominated the regular season, team A lucked into their spot and managed to eek out 1 playoff win, team B had the better season
    • Their seasons were equally successful

If their seasons both ended in the divisional round, I've got to go with the team that had more overall wins, so Team A. 

Every team's goal is to win it all, right? Neither of these teams got "closer" than the other, so I'd look at it as comparing regular season records. Team B had to win a game to advance whereas Team A got the bye, but they earned the bye through a more successful regular season.

Suppose team A goes 13-3, earns a 1st-round bye, and loses in the divisional round

Suppose team b goes 8-8, earns a WC, wins the WC round but loses the divisional round.

Who had a better overall season, team or team B?

Team A definitely. Weighted wins is what Team A that loses in the divisional round gets, with all things equal. Team B might have 1 more win by being a wild card team and winning 1 game to get to the divisional round. But if both lose in the divisional round, Team A definitely.

It is like saying Tebow had 1 playoff win while Peyton did not. Tebow did not get past the divisional round in 2011, neither did Peyton in 2012 but Peyton had a better regular season with the playoff results being equal. That is why I never understood the logic. Teams like the Ravens and Jets have had a lot of wild card round successes but if they played more playoff games with a bye week and got those playoff wins, then we can compare apples to apples.

That is why Brady's playoff numbers are better because not only did he do well in the regular season to earn the bye, he went a step further most of the time. So, even if Brady had the same playoff record as Flacco, say 9-5, Brady's wins coming at a later stage in the divisional round more often than the wild card round weigh more to me.

Too simplistic to vote.  It all depends on the expectations going in.

1.  Team is stacked and performing well - decent injury amounts, so expected to win and chokes.  Major bummer way to end a season but the season is NOT a waste.  I hate when fans put that kind of mentality on guys that give their blood, sweat & tears.  

2.  Team is in rebuilding mode and over performs - Great season whether they just get into the playoffs and lose or go a ways in.  

3.  Team is stacked and stacked with egos, dysfunction and has a good record in the regular season but fails in the playoffs - bad season.

My goal for our team is a long term franchise health that produces:

1.  Consistent regular season winners that get into the playoffs.

2.  Successful reaching the Conference Round most years

3.  Getting to and winning the Super Bowl (every few years)

Basically built like the Patriots.

Objectively speaking, Team A had the better season.  However, from an emotional standpoint Team A's fans are going to be justifiably upset all offseason while Team B's fans are more likely to be thrilled and excited for next year.  High expectations that go unmet hurt more than distant hopes.

Your teams are reversed between the poll and the OP making most of the comments confusing. To be clear, the team that dominated the regular season had a MUCH better year than the average team that happened to win a playoff game. That would hold true for me unless that average team kept on going and at least made it to the SB. If they won their record would be 12-8, which would also constitute creeping out of the "average" region.

By the way, I hate it when this happens. The WC is great when it prevents a 12 win SF team from getting snubbed, but anything less than a 10 win team winning the SB always strikes me as being "wrong" in some fashion. The WC is fun for keeping more fan bases interested, but when they go all the way it diminishes the league somehow. I LOVE the fact that there are four great teams still in it this year. I'm drooling in anticipation for next Sunday.

Team A had the better season, however I sometimes feel like if we dont win the Superbowl I would rather have a losing record as to fill the team with better talent for the future. I think about this sometimes but during the games I can never get myself to hope that we lose, even if we have no chance to go to the postseason, due to my ultra competitive mindset. In 2011 before we drafted Luck, I knew we wouldnt get him if we beat the Jaguars, but I still wanted to win that game so we wouldnt get swept by our division rival.

Team A had the better season, however I sometimes feel like if we dont win the Superbowl I would rather have a losing record as to fill the team with better talent for the future. I think about this sometimes but during the games I can never get myself to hope that we lose, even if we have no chance to go to the postseason, due to my ultra competitive mindset. In 2011 before we drafted Luck, I knew we wouldnt get him if we beat the Jaguars, but I still wanted to win that game so we wouldnt get swept by our division rival.

The assumption there is that you have all your draft choices..and its a good draft.

you should never welcome losing to get a 'fantasy' of an unknown future player......

Both seasons are a failure. The goal is to win the Super Bowl.

To me it is all about playoff success.  The regular season is nice and it great for stats, but it is what you do in the playoffs and when the games really matter that count the most.

I much rather go 8-8 and get a couple playoff wins before getting knocked out than going 13-3 or 14-2 and then get bounced in the first game.  I always hated those divisional round loses for the Colts.  To be one and done is such a black mark on your season.  You can say oh we had a great regular season, but it is all washed away when you get bounced in your first game.

I think it's all about winning, and where a team is in the developmental process. Depending on circumstances, winning a division is one accomplishment. Winning a conference title is next, followed by the Super Bowl. Obviously for the top teams, anything less that a Super Bowl is a failure, but divisional and conference titles are somewhat a consolation. However, if you win a lot of divisions like the Braves or Colts, while winning only one Championship, I can see where a division title might lose it's allure. For a team like Detroit or Jacksonville, a division title would be a major coup.