Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To all the people blaming the defense

alexpr

I don't know what we have to do to free up money but on the defensive side you need to go out and get a playmaker or 2. I know its not the Colts MO to bring in big time talent because they love to hand out big contracts to backup players and injury prone guys BUT you have to do whatever it takes to secure A talented CENTER (Mack) anda safety who can cover (Byrd) No excuses

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to further make my point...

The Colts pulled within 7 points, 29-22. Then the Pats went three-and-out twice in a row. The Pats ran four times for 16 yards in that stretch. The Colts offense couldn't do anything, running a total of 8 plays in their two possessions. Then Blount rips off for 73 yards (and coincidentally, runs through a poor tackling attempt, so even on that play, the run fits weren't terrible). Some of the first downs and TDs were well contested, with the Pats backs barely squeezing over the line. They won the physical battles, but not by much. 

Our offense failed the team at this point.  The defenses biggest issue at this point was its inability to get off the field on 3rd down.  A touchdown at this point changes the dynamics of this game

So the offense has been humming out of the gate all season?

no not at all, but it probably had more moments than the defense did to start out games. It seems like its every game that the defense gives up points early in games and it puts the  offense in a hole from the very onset. One thing about the offense is that they only had 14 turnovers in the regular season and its not like they were always putting the defense in bad spots. The defense is bad and needs just about a complete rebuild to get better (cant keep placing band aids on it). 

no not at all, but it probably had more moments than the defense did to start out games. It seems like its every game that the defense gives up points early in games and it puts the  offense in a hole from the very onset. One thing about the offense is that they only had 14 turnovers in the regular season and its not like they were always putting the defense in bad spots. The defense is bad and needs just about a complete rebuild to get better (cant keep placing band aids on it). 

There was a 4 or 5 game stretch right after Wayne went out that the offense did absolutely nothing in the first halves of games.  Constant 3-and-outs puts the defense in a bad spot as well.  The defense is far from needing a complete rebuild.  VERY far.  

Im not giving too much blame to any unit. Our defense couldnt stop the run or consistently pressure Brady. It did have good moments in the game though. The offense couldnt protect Luck at times and couldnt run the ball well. Luck also threw a bad bad INT to begin the game and forced another later on that he shouldnt have. There can be improvement in all areas. The defense needs some changes on the line (someone to generate a pass rush), an ILB, a cover safety and a #2 corner. The offense needs a new guard (depending on Thornton developing, who I actually like) and a center. Luck can improve on his decisions as well. Our play calling on offense seemed to get better come playoff time. Overall I am happy with what we did this season, but at the same time I know that we are only a handfull of pieces away from a special season.

Yeah defense hadn't played up to par the last couple of games but luck and these turnovers don't help either.....like that play after the false start call against us luck threw his third int to me he should've ran it to get some yards because it was only first down but it seems like after he makes his mistakes luck gets to anxious to get down the field which isn't always a good thing

We need an experienced and  popular DC. We have not had a big name DC since, who can give me a name? It has been so long I can't even remember. I say we go after Wade Phillips. Is there another DC out there that's better and is available? Phillips is a prooven DC every where he has gone.

We need an experienced and  popular DC. We have not had a big name DC since, who can give me a name? It has been so long I can't even remember. I say we go after Wade Phillips. Is there another DC out there that's better and is available? Phillips is a prooven DC every where he has gone.

what does being popular have to do with it?

Our offense failed the team at this point.  The defenses biggest issue at this point was its inability to get off the field on 3rd down.  A touchdown at this point changes the dynamics of this game

imo we cant run a 3-4 defense without a nose tackle who can make a statement, one please step up, or grigs will get one somewhere

Pagano wanted a ball control offense that took care of the ball. The only problem is that it wasn't exactly working. Reggie, Allen, Bradshaw, our left guard and Ballard going down was our undoing. Trent up the middle didn't work and DHB couldn't catch. What else could we do but to turn Luck loose like last year and just like last year, he had amazing offensive production with a high interception rate. We need our horses back and we need Pep to have learned a few things after one year.