Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SD tackle, RB questionable for Denver

oldunclemark

Your post sounds more like hopeful/wishful thinking. 

Where?  Who?  We are as close to healthy at the end of a season than any team we've ever had before.  Other than players we lost a long time ago for the season, the current roster has been solid.

1.  Center, Hardwick - if it was a concussion Sunday could be out.  He is a key piece and there is no overestimating his value, but Ohrnberger surprised everyone at how well and seamlessly he stepped in for basically almost the entire game.  Our OL has played 17 different combinations in the past couple of months. 

2.  Ryan's ankle - we will have no word on this until Wed.  He says his mindset is he's playing.

3.  Eddie Royal - has not practiced much of the later part of this year and had been excellent in the games. 

4.  DJ Fluker, RT - had his ankle taped in the second half and played the rest of the game.  If he isn't dead he'll play.

We've had bye weeks where we were one and done because we were slow to get going in the game.

We've had wildcard slot teams that have done well. 

Rest is better IF you don't come out flat. 

We don't have a choice - we are in our sixth week of playoff football and it will take 8 straight wins to win the Super Bowl.  

Your post sounds more like hopeful/wishful thinking. 

Where?  Who?  We are as close to healthy at the end of a season than any team we've ever had before.  Other than players we lost a long time ago for the season, the current roster has been solid.

1.  Center, Hardwick - if it was a concussion Sunday could be out.  He is a key piece and there is no overestimating his value, but Ohrnberger surprised everyone at how well and seamlessly he stepped in for basically almost the entire game.  Our OL has played 17 different combinations in the past couple of months. 

2.  Ryan's ankle - we will have no word on this until Wed.  He says his mindset is he's playing.

3.  Eddie Royal - has not practiced much of the later part of this year and had been excellent in the games. 

4.  DJ Fluker, RT - had his ankle taped in the second half and played the rest of the game.  If he isn't dead he'll play.

We've had bye weeks where we were one and done because we were slow to get going in the game.

We've had wildcard slot teams that have done well. 

Rest is better IF you don't come out flat. 

We don't have a choice - we are in our sixth week of playoff football and it will take 8 straight wins to win the Super Bowl.  

Who is 'we';

Your post is missing the point.... I;m saying rest is always better....no matter who the team is

No Broncos or Pats are in a walking boot this week.....SD and Indy players are hurt

How many players did the Colts lose last week. How many did NE lose (zero)

My point is why you want a bye...and why bye teams are always better off than non-bye teams...

Always.

But both injuries that were aggravated last week while Denver rested..

SD is beaten up in some spots....advantage Denver

You realize that Broncos have Wilkerson, Wolfe, Von Miller and Ryan Clady all out for this game right?

Those guys are all way better than Ryan Mathews and DJ Fluker who are both likely to play anyway.

Advntage SD.

Who is 'we';

Your post is missing the point.... I;m saying rest is always better....no matter who the team is

No Broncos or Pats are in a walking boot this week.....SD and Indy players are hurt

How many players did the Colts lose last week. How many did NE lose (zero)

My point is why you want a bye...and why bye teams are always better off than non-bye teams...

Always.

Not true. Too much TIME OFF can lead to a team coming out flat where as a team that's playing every Sunday is on a roll and has that mindset locked in. Look no further than the 2006 and 2009 SD Chargers. Last year's Broncos too.

Having a bye can be a very dangerous thing.

Bayone posted this article in another thread that addresses the stats behind this first seed's bye week:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-01-06/nfl-playoffs-divisional-games-upsets-seeds-broncos-chargers-seahawks-saints-colts-patriots-super-bowl-run

Since the league went to an eight-division format in 2002, only once has it been No. 1 vs. No. 1 in the Super Bowl. That was four years ago, when Peyton Manning’s Colts lost to Drew Brees’ Saints. Only nine No. 1 seeds of 22 in those 11 years have made it to the Super Bowl.

You might think, however, that Manning’s Broncos and Russell Wilson’s Seahawks got a break with the No. 6 seeds advancing to face them this weekend. You would be wrong.

Since 2005, No. 1 seeds have a 7-9 record in the divisional playoffs. There’s more reason for the big underdog Chargers and Saints to be more confident this week. Since ’05, No. 6 seeds have gone 5-2 in this round following a wild-card upset.

The Chargers have not done well off of the bye week.  We've also been beaten up in the Wildcard week in the past and been weakened.  Basically there is no easy way to the Super Bowl.

Since 2005, No. 1 seeds have a 7-9 record in the divisional playoffs.

Yeah. That Steelers wild card run truly opened several folks' eyes towards wild card team possibiities. You can thank Peyton and Vanderjagt for it :).

Like I said before, Peyton and Eli have been possibly the 2 biggest contributors to that 7-9 record.

Without looking any of these up, off the top of my head:

9 losses - Peyton lost in 2005, 2012 for 2 of those losses as a #1, Rivers lost once to Brady, Matt Ryan lost once to Packers, Rodgers lost to Eli, Romo lost to Eli, Brady lost once to Jets, Titans lost once to Ravens, Eli lost once in 2008 as a #1 seed to the #6 Eagles, yeah even the wild card warrior has been on the other end as a #1 seed, just like Rodgers has.

on any given Sunday... that's why we PLAY the playoffs.

Peyton will be ready, but we all know it will be about more than Peyton.  Your weakest team mate can lose the game for you.  One play.  One series.  One stupid mistake is all it takes to be out on your rear until next year.

Which TEAM will be more solid?  Which TEAM will rise to the occasion?  Which rookie will surprise everyone and do the seemingly impossible?  We won't know until the score is final...

That's why we all love it so much!

The thing about the NFL that is so intense and also so agonizing. This is a 1 and done format. This isn't like the NBA or NHL, or MLB. The best team doesn't always advance..or win. Yes there are upsets in those leagues too but not as often...because they are a series..best of...that gives a huge advantage to the better teams. One and done the underdog has more confidence...just have to beat them once...and anything can happen. Football is so different....and momentum so much more important. If you lose it...even for a quarter it could cost you the season...or you have a bad game plan...or a single turnover...it magnifies mistakes and poor coaching even more. You can't come back with adjustments as much and its much more harsh on execution. It is why we love it and also why some of the greats often come up short. Once you get to the playoffs...and especially the divisional rd etc...we are talking all elite teams...very good teams. Once in a while you will get a crappy wild card team in...but the difference from 1st to 4th in each conference is usually a small small margin. You will have a few dominant teams down through the years like NE in 07 and Indy/NO in 09 but for the most part the margin is pretty close...and thus these seeds mean little except home field and to me there really isn't many upsets.

all 4 did not practice Wednesday

Not true. Too much TIME OFF can lead to a team coming out flat where as a team that's playing every Sunday is on a roll and has that mindset locked in. Look no further than the 2006 and 2009 SD Chargers. Last year's Broncos too.

Having a bye can be a very dangerous thing.

Not having a bye can take players out of the lineup..like the SD center Hardwick

all 4 did not practice Wednesday

Why are you obsessing on this?  You sound like you're wringing your hands with glee and anticipation... and like you're reassuring yourself by repeating your point over and over and over.  We get it, you like bye weeks.

Ryan Mathews and Eddie Royal have not practiced in previous weeks off and on all season.  DJ Fluker is my biggest concern, but if he's capable of playing he will and if not, Coach D will have a solution ready.  He's done an amazing job with an O Line that has now seen 17 different configurations (the next closest in the NFL was 6 or 8 variations). 

Hardwick I'm guessing may be out, as he was the entire game in Cincy.  He has a concussion and a stinger (kind of obvious when you watched him staggering around on the replays).  I prefer Hardwick, but Orhnberger did a great job in his place.

Why are you obsessing on this?  You sound like you're wringing your hands with glee and anticipation... and like you're reassuring yourself by repeating your point over and over and over.  We get it, you like bye weeks.

Ryan Mathews and Eddie Royal have not practiced in previous weeks off and on all season.  DJ Fluker is my biggest concern, but if he's capable of playing he will and if not, Coach D will have a solution ready.  He's done an amazing job with an O Line that has now seen 17 different configurations (the next closest in the NFL was 6 or 8 variations). 

Hardwick I'm guessing may be out, as he was the entire game in Cincy.  He has a concussion and a stinger (kind of obvious when you watched him staggering around on the replays).  I prefer Hardwick, but Orhnberger did a great job in his place.

obsessing???

Its the Q-finals of the NFL....

The key is Hardwick and Mathews......its big whether they are playing..

....again, who is 'we'

Always.

You have been harping on the pro bye week thing lately here a lot. And yes while everyone tries to get the bye it's not the be all and end all too. Does it help health wise? Absolutely no denying this. And if you are a team like NE you never made it to the SB without a bye week with Brady.

However, as Colts fans we know this all too well. Don't get cocky just cause you got the bye. We have been stunned coming off byes healthy or not. In fact, in 2007 I thought we roll SD coming off our bye week and head to NE but SD beat us and Rivers even left the game!

In 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012 teams who played on WC weekend won the Super Bowl.

You have been harping on the pro bye week thing lately here a lot. And yes while everyone tries to get the bye it's not the be all and end all too. Does it help health wise? Absolutely no denying this. And if you are a team like NE you never made it to the SB without a bye week with Brady.

However, as Colts fans we know this all too well. Don't get cocky just cause you got the bye. We have been stunned coming off byes healthy or not. In fact, in 2007 I thought we roll SD coming off our bye week and head to NE but SD beat us and Rivers even left the game!

In 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012 teams who played on WC weekend won the Super Bowl.

All great points, and all have been made before - he'll still come back with "the bye is better - period."  ;)

Besides, by now it is what it is and anyone who's playing and sweating that they should have had a bye week or they can't play doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs, LOL!

All great points, and all have been made before - he'll still come back with "the bye is better - period."  ;)

Besides, by now it is what it is and anyone who's playing and sweating that they should have had a bye week or they can't play doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs, LOL!

I mean duh of course everyone wants a bye week.....but it is no guarantee of a win in today's NFL either. I think the AFC playoffs have the bigger chances of road upsets too this weekend TBH. I mean if this were the days of Montana and we had a loaded team and we had a bye week I would probably feel we could roll anyone with absolute confidence coming off a bye maybe. In today's NFL there is much more parity between squads.

Still I am against the idea of expanding the amount of playoff teams since well......you would then just be inviting the NY Jets types of teams in it every year and who the hell wants that.

Here I am....GAFT.......the bye week is better, period.. :thmup:

New fans can get confused  but its a war of attrition....you can cherry pick certain years or groups of years..but SD and Indy are NOT better off because they played last week

You cant lose or lose players during a bye week.....a 'bye' is a virtual win.....watch closely this weekend

,...any arguement that there's an advantage to 'keep playing' is an alternate universe :dunno:

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 
After resting Wednesday, D.J. Fluker (ankle) is practicing today. Chargers right tackle expected to play Sunday.

Michael Gehlken is the beat writer for the Union Tribune in San Diego.  

Coach also said what we expected, "Ryan is tough.  If he can play you can bet he'll be playing."  He will also practice tomorrow.

NOTE:  Questionable in Mike McCoy's language doesn't mean anything.  Eddie Royal has been "Questionable" Did Not Practice for as long back as I can remember in the season and has started every game. 

Hardwick © is back and cleared the NFL Protocols.  He'll play until they drag him off the field.

Fluker (RT) Limited Practice/Questionable  He'll play.

Sean Lissemore (DE-DT) Questionable Limited practice, probably will play haven't heard any scuttlebutt on him. 

Ryan Mathews (RB) Questionable/Did not Practice:  consensus is he'll play, he's resting a lingering ankle injury.  Should we win, he might have this same practice routine the rest of the way because of the punishment his style of running receives.

Eddie Royal (WR) Questionable/Did not Practice:  Same all season, he'll play.

Jeromey Clary (RG) Questionable/Did not Practice:  He went from Limited practice on Wed, to DNP Thurs. and Fri.  He's actually who is most being worried about. 

NOTE:  Questionable in Mike McCoy's language doesn't mean anything.  Eddie Royal has been "Questionable" Did Not Practice for as long back as I can remember in the season and has started every game. 

Hardwick © is back and cleared the NFL Protocols.  He'll play until they drag him off the field.

Fluker (RT) Limited Practice/Questionable  He'll play.

Sean Lissemore (DE-DT) Questionable Limited practice, probably will play haven't heard any scuttlebutt on him. 

Ryan Mathews (RB) Questionable/Did not Practice:  consensus is he'll play, he's resting a lingering ankle injury.  Should we win, he might have this same practice routine the rest of the way because of the punishment his style of running receives.

Eddie Royal (WR) Questionable/Did not Practice:  Same all season, he'll play.

Jeromey Clary (RG) Questionable/Did not Practice:  He went from Limited practice on Wed, to DNP Thurs. and Fri.  He's actually who is most being worried about. 

This is the kind of thing I need to know....GAFT...

One teams 'questionable' is another teams 'probable'