Donte Whitner (S) 4 year $28MM

Total Remainder: $9,656,957

Draft:

2nd round: Yawin Smallwood ILB UCONN

3rd round: Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss

5th round: Isaiah Lewis SS MSU

6th round: De'Anthony Thomas OW Oregon

7th round: Garrison Smith DT Georgia

Not bad at all, I like Evan Dietrich Smith. I'd rather have Willie Colone over Wharton, Colone is only 30 compared to Whartons 32, Colone is also better at Guard I think. I also dont think we move on from Bethea despite him struggling bad this year, I like Smallwood but I dont see the closing speed with him, seems much more a much bigger drag down tackler, I also think overrated in coverage a bit, I'd rather have Borland or Perryman, Moncrief I like, Ill have to get back to ya about Verner

Lots of money invested into the secondary that may still struggle without a pass rush

Can't see where I could fit another pass rusher at. You're already going to have Mathis playing 90% of the defensive snaps and Walden and Werner splitting time at the other LB/DE spot. 

There's not anyone on the FA market at 34 DE/DT that is a big upgrade over what we already have.

Just have to hope that Werner progresses like we hope he does.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Not bad at all, I like Evan Dietrich Smith. I'd rather have Willie Colone over Wharton, Colone is only 30 compared to Whartons 32, Colone is also better at Guard I think. I also dont think we move on from Bethea despite him struggling bad this year, I like Smallwood but I dont see the closing speed with him, seems much more a much bigger drag down tackler, I also think overrated in coverage a bit, I'd rather have Borland or Perryman, Moncrief I like, Ill have to get back to ya about Verner

Smallwood is overrated in coverage, but you would rather have Borland?  That makes absolutely zero sense.

Guest TeamLoloJones

TIL putting a C in parentheses makes this symbol: ©

I love your picks.  Especially if Thomas does fall that far. (He probably should, but I bet a team takes a chance on him in the 2nd or 3rd)  Just one idea, lets say we don't get Verner, then instead of drafting Moncrief, we draft E.J. Gaines (CB from Mizzou) in the 3rd.

I just dont see the big deal about Smallwood. 6'3 247, I dont see the change of direction skills or explosive hitter, Shawn Jackson I like as 5th or later round pick, Explosive, can play ILB and OLB 6' 251lbs excellent closing speed, solid in coverage. Instinctual, very productive throughout his college career at Tulsa

Guest TeamLoloJones

I just dont see the big deal about Smallwood. 6'3 247, I dont see the change of direction skills or explosive hitter, Shawn Jackson I like as 5th or later round pick, Explosive, can play ILB and OLB 6' 251lbs excellent closing speed, solid in coverage. Instinctual, very productive throughout his college career at Tulsa

The thing with Smallwood is he can do everything, and he would be an every down player.  Borland would be a liability in the passing game, a big liability.  I like Borland but not if we had to use our 2nd or 3rd round pick on him.

Guest TeamLoloJones

neither are ideal in coverage but given the chance I'd take the thumper Borland

I don't see what you see.  I think Smallwood is the 3rd best Coverage ILB in the country.

The thing with Smallwood is he can do everything, and he would be an every down player.  Borland would be a liability in the passing game, a big liability.  I like Borland but not if we had to use our 2nd or 3rd pick on him.

He definitly cant do everything, he would get exposed in man coverage and crossing routes, Borland and him would be a wash there

Guest TeamLoloJones

He definitly cant do everything, he would get exposed in man coverage and crossing routes, Borland and him would be a wash there

See this is where you completely lose me....

I haven't come to this conclusion when I have watched any of his tapes. Is there a game in particular where this stands out so I can watch it?

Christian Jones, and CJ Mosley

If ya get time, watch some of senior Shawn Jackson out of Tulsa...He is a bit undersized at 6' but he is 250+ athletic, can cover and excellent closing speed, can get right up the middle....Late round prospect

So no high profile o lineman? Are the ones you picked any good? I've seen Smith play a few times.

They're pretty good. Both top 10 at their position this season. I was looking for under the radar guys who won't cost much. Both fit that profile, but Wharton is 32 and more of a stop gap. 

Not sure if you're familiar with this site, but I find it really useful when I'm looking for players tape:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/yawin-smallwood/

It usually only has 4-8 games tho. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no1XGpRPfO0

Lacks good change of direction skills

1:56

2:21

I've seen the site before, Good site, Also ESPN Sports Inc as well as NFL.com does breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses and they are posted on youtube 

What do ya think of Willie Colone of the Jets as potential FA Guard. 30 years old

Guest TeamLoloJones

2;21

I've seen the site before, Good site, Also ESPN Sports Inc as well as NFL.com does breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses and they are posted on youtube 

What do ya think of Willie Colone of the Jets as potential FA Guard. 30 years old

How do you come to that conclusion based on those plays?  

2;21

1:56: He's playing against one of the most elusive QBs in the country. Tons of linebackers would miss the same tackle.

2:21: That's a bad attempt at a tackle. I wouldn't say that's anything to worry about. Happens to every linebacker once in a while. 

Point being, that his occasional mistake doesn't just negate the other things he does. He's still very good in coverage, great play recognition, athleticism, and blitzing ability. Those things are more than any LB on the team currently offers. IMO you're selling him short. As for Borland, I haven't seen much of him so I don't have an opinion either way.

Great pass blocker, god awful in run blocking, and gets way too many penalties (11). 

Guest TeamLoloJones

1:56: He's playing against one of the most elusive QBs in the country. Tons of linebackers would miss the same tackle.

2:21: That's a bad attempt at a tackle. I wouldn't say that's anything to worry about. Happens to every linebacker once in a while. 

Point being, that his occasional mistake doesn't just negate the other things he does. He's still very good in coverage, great play recognition, athleticism, and blitzing ability. Those things are more than any LB on the team currently offers. IMO you're selling him short. As for Borland, I haven't seen much of him so I don't have an opinion either way.

Great pass blocker, god awful in run blocking, and gets way too many penalties (11). 

If we want to isolate plays and judge Smallwood that way, then let's look at the Michigan video at about the 5:30 mark. If you only ever saw that one play, then I could make a snap judgement that Smallwood should be the 1st pick in the draft.  

If we want to isolate plays and judge Smallwood that way, then let's look at the Michigan video at about the 5:30 mark. If you only ever saw that one play, then I could make a snap judgement that Smallwood should be the 1st pick in the draft.  

I pointed out 2 plays showing the same thing, Thats a trend

I like him but I think we could do better at ILB, What do you think of ILB Shawn Jackson from Tulsa as a 5th or later round prospect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztqdg__ojw

Re-sign:

McAfee (P): 4 years $12MM

Davis (CB) 5 year $40MM

Moala (DE) 2 year $2MM

Connor (ILB) 1 year $1MM

Vinateri (K) 1 year $1MM

Cut:

Greg Toler (CB)

Samson Satele ©

Total Remainder: $31,005,290

Sign via free-agency:

Evan Dietrich-Smith © 3 year $7MM

Travelle Wharton (G) 3 year $4.5MM

Karlos Dansby (ILB) 2 year $10MM

Alterraun Verner (CB) 4 year $28MM

Donte Whitner (S) 4 year $28MM

Total Remainder: $9,656,957

Draft:

2nd round: Yawin Smallwood ILB UCONN

3rd round: Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss

5th round: Isaiah Lewis SS MSU

6th round: De'Anthony Thomas OW Oregon

7th round: Garrison Smith DT Georgia

Really nice effort by you....

Two thoughts....   I'm not sure Moncrief falls to the bottom of the 3rd round...   we'd be picking in the late 80's and I don't think he lasts...

Also....   while he maybe small,  I don't see Thomas falling tot he 6th round...  too much speed and elusiveness.   He may or may not be T. Austin, from West Virginia and the Rams,   I don't see him as 5 rounds worse,  if you follow my meaning....?

If he gets past the 3rd round (assuming he comes out)  I'd be surprised....

Just thinking out loud....

Thanks again for some good, thought provoking stuff....     :thmup:

It still shows lack of change of direction skill

For what it's worth....   in the history of the NFL,  there's never been a player, at any position,  that doesn't have flaws on tape.

A HoF QB missed an open receiver.    A HoF RB missed a hole.    A HoF WR dropped a pass or two.

A HoF LB got faked out and showed poor change of direction...  A HoF CB got burned by a WR...

Hey,  stuff happens.    It doesn't hurt to also focus on what the guys CAN do.   Maybe the guy has a poor college coach.  Maybe he'll get better coaching in the pros.    

But if you're looking for perfection....................................................................  you'll never find it......................

Just sayin..............

I like him but I think we could do better at ILB, What do you think of ILB Shawn Jackson from Tulsa as a 5th or later round prospect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztqdg__ojw

Looks like a solid late round option. He looks like he has good speed. But then again, with the competition he's playing it could just mean everyone else is slow.