Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep breaks out the pistol formation.

Dustin

Do you mean use it as a change of pace or what? A couple of plays, i wouldn't mind, but not more than that. I think denver uses it as well, so maybe its not so bad.

Pistol is just a formation.  Doesn't mean Luck will ever run the option from it.  Gives the QB more time and can still run from it.  Spreading the field and not having Satelle playing opened up way better running lanes.  Pep did great this week I thought.

Pistol is just a formation.  Doesn't mean Luck will ever run the option from it.  Gives the QB more time and can still run from it.  Spreading the field and not having Satelle playing opened up way better running lanes.  Pep did great this week I thought.

I was just worried about it turning into run option (even though luck could do it) . I'm fine with luck running 4-6 times a game, if he can gain big chunks of yards and get down. Whatever it takes to win.

I would like to see the pistol being used more.

Just as long as we don't use the read option.

We use the principles of the read option on trap plays, which worked really well the past two weeks. Just imagine a play action off of an already established trap design. That's basically read option. Doesn't mean the QB has to keep the ball and run with it.

I did enough complaining about the empty backfield formations under Arians playcalling last year, At some point I just said....whatever and thats carried over to Peps playcalling with empty backfield sets

Yeah, particularly on 3rd down. There was one play where they motioned Richardson out of the backfield to an empty set; I'm fine with that. I just hate coming out with an empty backfield.

I am not as most here know a 'pistol' fan, but if it means getting the fullback out of the way and opening up the offense to more weapons I am for it.  

It was nice to see it yesterday and probably should have been used more instead of Jack Doyle at fullback....if anyone is suited for the pistol it is number 12....this team moved in a very nice direction yesterday in all phases!!  I loved analyzing that game....it was fun and I did not need my TUMS!

Also good job guys on explaining the pistol to our forum friends rather than slamming on them for not understanding...That is great TEAMWORK too!!! Awesome :)   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: !!!

I don't care if they ran the Wishbone as long as it puts points on the board. Also I kind of scratched my head on the fake punt and double reverse, but does anyone think it could possibly be that they want teams to have to prepare for it.  I really didn't see the need for it in those situations but I'm not paid to.

This was the best called game both offensively and defensively this entire season. For the first time I did not find myself screaming for Pep's head, and threatening to throw the remote through the TV.

Kudo's where they are due to the Colts coaches this week, let's make this a trend.

Peps conservative play calling in the second half was awful, we ran so many TRich draws. I understand why we did it but it was horrible to watch. 

I'm actually very happy that Pep is trying to modify his offensive scheme and not insisting on the 22 personnel quite as much as he once did anymore.  Seems to me that the guy is keeping track of what works and  what doesn't.  He might be doing it slower than we'd all prefer, but his play calling has changed over time.  He's running more draws/traps/screens to mix it up, or at least he did today.  And when he did, we got some good yardage out of it.  I'm slowly but surely trusting Pep a bit more...

The problems with the 21 and 22 personnel so far this season have been, imo, the inability to pass out of those formations.  They do try to pass but the WR's especially have had difficulty getting open since Reggie went out.  If they could pass effectively out of those formations then they would be much more effective because the defense wouldn't be able to sell out on the run.  I will say it looked like they were passing better in the Houston game out of 21 personnel than they had in previous weeks and I saw that the 2 WR's on those sets were primarily Hilton and Rogers. 

I haven't been over the moon ecstatic with Pep's play calling at times but I do think the problems have more often been lack of execution than play calling, and the lack of playmaking ability at the WR position.  

I don't care if they ran the Wishbone as long as it puts points on the board. Also I kind of scratched my head on the fake punt and double reverse, but does anyone think it could possibly be that they want teams to have to prepare for it.  I really didn't see the need for it in those situations but I'm not paid to.

As for the fake punt and the reverse, my take on that was simply this...how often do you get to practice a play in a live game situation?  IMO that seemed like what they were doing.  The game was not 100% out of reach but the way the defense had been shutting down the Houston offense all day, the 22 point lead and the fact that Houston was held to 17 yards I believe in the 3rd quarter gave the coaches the confidence to try a couple of unconventional plays to see how they would work.  Obviously there was no need to call the fake punt to try to get back in the game.  

As for the fake punt and the reverse, my take on that was simply this...how often do you get to practice a play in a live game situation?  IMO that seemed like what they were doing.  The game was not 100% out of reach but the way the defense had been shutting down the Houston offense all day, the 22 point lead and the fact that Houston was held to 17 yards I believe in the 3rd quarter gave the coaches the confidence to try a couple of unconventional plays to see how they would work.  Obviously there was no need to call the fake punt to try to get back in the game.  

Yup. With the fake punt, now you know you can get three yards out of it. Maybe not 8, but that's okay. And if you put Donald Brown back there as the protector, like he was at the beginning of the season, maybe you can get more than three yards.

Yeah, particularly on 3rd down. There was one play where they motioned Richardson out of the backfield to an empty set; I'm fine with that. I just hate coming out with an empty backfield.

I'd call more 4 wide sets and try to force defenses into more dime packages to run the ball on 3rd down and short, I think it could do wonders for Richardsons ypc

We use the principles of the read option on trap plays, which worked really well the past two weeks. Just imagine a play action off of an already established trap design. That's basically read option. Doesn't mean the QB has to keep the ball and run with it.

I know we can use a straight trap play from it. 

I was talking about the read option where Luck keeps the ball. 

I like the idea of running trap plays from the pistol formation and play action from it.