Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is There Any RuLe or Limit on The Amt. Of Noise Allowed?

King Colt

Seems to me there should be some kind of regulation on stadium design related to noise level. Prior to the Saints-Seahawks game I heard someone say the NFL is looking at the 49ers stadium design as it has structure at the top designed to bounce noise back on to the field. How much noise technically is allowed? There must be some point where the games will be called for noise. I know some are stopped temporarily but what if the crowd decide tuff luck. The official for example threatens to penalize in the last 8 seconds of a game. The crowd quiets down and after one play there is 2 seconds on the clock. The visitors snap the ball and there is a misplay due to new  noise, The visitors lose and they are eliminated from the Super Bowl. I am not whining here but in principle if stadiums are permitted to be built with an undisputable advantage to the home team regardless of fans then something should be done. Again I know in baseball (which is really more criminal than football in terms of stadiums) and football there are advantages  built in but at the money potential now days I think it is time to reexamine some of these parks (excluding Lucas of course).

Seems to me there should be some kind of regulation on stadium design related to noise level. Prior to the Saints-Seahawks game I heard someone say the NFL is looking at the 49ers stadium design as it has structure at the top designed to bounce noise back on to the field. How much noise technically is allowed? There must be some point where the games will be called for noise. I know some are stopped temporarily but what if the crowd decide tuff luck. The official for example threatens to penalize in the last 8 seconds of a game. The crowd quiets down and after one play there is 2 seconds on the clock. The visitors snap the ball and there is a misplay due to new  noise, The visitors lose and they are eliminated from the Super Bowl. I am not whining here but in principle if stadiums are permitted to be built with an undisputable advantage to the home team regardless of fans then something should be done. Again I know in baseball (which is really more criminal than football in terms of stadiums) and football there are advantages  built in but at the money potential now days I think it is time to reexamine some of these parks (excluding Lucas of course).

Very good points. It's not the fans but the stadiums. I think the Seattle situation is ridiculous.

:scratch:

What's wrong with having a loud stadium?

The NFL has rules against enhancing the sound through the PA system. I don't see why there's a need for any additional regulations.

I think he's asking based on what teams are doing with stadium design?

Is the NFL going to allow teams who have the luxury of new stadiums, with designed intent to disrupt field play, have an edge over more historic, or less cash friendly teams? 

Yes they did and they also have linemen yell out snap cadences. These are fact.

Nope you're incorrect. Especially if you're talking about the made up "pumping crowd noise" narrative. 

"CBS has informed us that the unusual audio moment heard by fans during the Patriots-Colts game was the result of tape feedback in the CBS production truck and was isolated to the CBS broadcast," the league said. "It was in no way related to any sound within the stadium and could not be heard in the stadium."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2007-11-05-audio_N.htm

I don't have an issue with teams designing a stadium to enhance environmental/scientific advantages.  Outdoor teams play in the elements and have an "advantage" over domed teams (it really gets overblown, but whatever), Seahawks have a stadium that increases on field noise level.  I think the real offense is that fans think that because of those enhancements, it somehow makes them better fans.  As if people born or reside in Seattle somehow magically become louder, and therefore a better fan base, than if they were born or relocated somewhere else.

Nope you're incorrect. Especially if you're talking about the made up "pumping crowd noise" narrative. 

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/colts/2007-11-05-audio_N.htm

The league protected itself with that statement.

After the game’s final play Sunday, when Brady kneeled with the ball to run out the clock, the quarterback screamed at the referee. He explained to D&C that a Colts player was illegally simulating the Patriots’ snap count in an effort to draw a penalty. “I’m in the middle of my snap count, and the defensive tackle’s going, ‘Hut, hut,’ to try to get us to jump offsides,” Brady explained. “To me, the only thing that the ref should be listening for is that. [The Colts are] doing it, and they can’t do that. So, I was just creating some awareness for the referees that what they were doing. It’s not that they care or listen to me. They really don’t. I don’t know, it just gives me something to + at a little bit.”

Typical Tom Brady.  Always taking the high road.  Even in the face of the Colts blatantly cheating like they’ve been doing for years.  Whether it’s changing league rules to suit them, dictating where the umpire lines up to suit their offense, piping in crowd noise or turning the A/C fans on to mess with their opponents’ field goals, this is exactly the kind of shenanigans you have to overcome when you play these cheating weasels.  And for the 10,000th time us good, decent, rules-abiding, God-fearing types are left to wonder “What would the Colts say if the shoe was on the other foot?”  The howls of righteous indignation would deafen us all.  Fortunately it was the Colts pulling this crap, so we’re spared the obligatory “If I were coaching the defense I would tell them not to call

I heard Thomas Morstead was screaming conspiracy over the crowd noise in Seattle and that it wasn't fair.

I find it ironically cause I wouldn't have been surprised if the Saints themselves were pumping in extra crowd noise back in 2009 and 2010. But I have to agree with Superman, what's wrong with a loud stadium?

That's just great Morstead says that, you know...my fanbase already consists of lunatic conspiracy theorists that have been spending the last three weeks coming with conspiracies about the Panthers winning streak (I kid you not, they aren't a good team, they are some type of conspiracy cuz Roger Goodell be hatin' da Saints!) now our players are screaming conspiracy.

After the game’s final play Sunday, when Brady kneeled with the ball to run out the clock, the quarterback screamed at the referee. He explained to D&C that a Colts player was illegally simulating the Patriots’ snap count in an effort to draw a penalty. “I’m in the middle of my snap count, and the defensive tackle’s going, ‘Hut, hut,’ to try to get us to jump offsides,” Brady explained. “To me, the only thing that the ref should be listening for is that. [The Colts are] doing it, and they can’t do that. So, I was just creating some awareness for the referees that what they were doing. It’s not that they care or listen to me. They really don’t. I don’t know, it just gives me something to + at a little bit.”

Typical Tom Brady.  Always taking the high road.  Even in the face of the Colts blatantly cheating like they’ve been doing for years.  Whether it’s changing league rules to suit them, dictating where the umpire lines up to suit their offense, piping in crowd noise or turning the A/C fans on to mess with their opponents’ field goals, this is exactly the kind of shenanigans you have to overcome when you play these cheating weasels.  And for the 10,000th time us good, decent, rules-abiding, God-fearing types are left to wonder “What would the Colts say if the shoe was on the other foot?”  The howls of righteous indignation would deafen us all.  Fortunately it was the Colts pulling this crap, so we’re spared the obligatory “If I were coaching the defense I would tell them not to call

Brady crying to the refs. Not anything new to see here. 

Also, LOL @the league protecting itself. I guess the league protected itself when they destroyed Bill's tapes as well.  lmao

Also, LOL @the league protecting itself. I guess the league protected itself when they destroyed Bill's tapes as well. 

In one case you have a HOF player speaking on record. In the other you and anonymous league source talking about a phantom CBS truck.  

In one case you have a HOF player speaking on record. In the other you and anonymous league source talking about a phantom CBS truck.  

Yeah, but that HOFer has been linked to a cheating scandal so I can't just automatically trust his credibility either. 

Ok they both cheat. Isn't that what I said in the beginning?

Wut. In one case we have a cheating scandal that resulted in the harshest penalties ever handed down to an organization and in the other case we have unsubstantiated claims made from a player that was associated with a known cheating organization.

Don't see how this is similar at all.  

Ok they both cheat. Isn't that what I said in the beginning?

So the league investigates the Colts and says there was no wrongdoing = the league protecting itself.

The league investigates the Patriots and says they found wrongdoing = the league not protecting itself?

All of this is over and done with. You Patriots fans continually bring up Spygate around here, then try to shield yourselves behind the "the Colts cheated too!" line of defense. I don't care about Spygate, not one bit. But it makes no sense for you to hold on to the crowd noise accusation when it's been disproved already.

I think he's asking based on what teams are doing with stadium design?

Is the NFL going to allow teams who have the luxury of new stadiums, with designed intent to disrupt field play, have an edge over more historic, or less cash friendly teams? 

A dome is inherently noisier than an open air stadium. Stadiums have been designed with acoustics in mind for a long time now, and with advances in technology, it will only get worse (or better, depending on your point of view). 

As for the less cash friendly teams, I think the time is coming when teams are hardly spending anything on stadiums, and with the money that teams are making in the NFL (every team makes money, by the way), if you want a new stadium, you can get one built. And you can design it however you want. IF you want the more historic look and feel -- Lambeau, Soldier, etc. -- that's up to you. If you want a tin box designed to trap as much noise as possible, that's up to you.

End of the day, if you get 70k people in a confined area, it's going to be loud. And that's a good thing. 

Wut. In one case we have a cheating scandal that resulted in the harshest penalties ever handed down to an organization and in the other case we have unsubstantiated claims made from a player that was associated with a known cheating organization.

Don't see how this is similar at all.  

Sometimes a was hit as a kid for nothing. Other times I deserved to be hit and wasn't. Go figure. 

I know of one guy that served 10 years for being caught with one ounce of Marijuana and know of another that served 2 years for killing someone. 

I remember once watching a bronco/49er's pre-season game  back in the day and the 9er kicker (mike cofer) clearly missed a game winning field goal by about 5 yards and the league just called the kick good, so they didn't advance into overtime. Even as a child i thought that was really strange and fishy. The league isn't above corruption. Another example is the *power outage* in the superbowl last year.

I remember back in the 90s, when I was a teenager, I was watching a game (don't remember the teams) and the officials threatened the crowd with penalizing their home team a time out if they didn't quiet down, then, because they didn't listen, and got louder, DID penalize the home team a time out.

This was an NFL game

I suspect that any efforts to control stadium design in the future with regards to noise have less to do with "competitive edge" than they do with public health. A sporting event that causes permanent hearing loss isn't my idea of entertainment.

Technology being what it is why not equip your team when visiting with head sets so the QB can whisper the snap count to the other 10 guys?! The microphone could be in the face guard. You cannot tell me this is impossible.

Sure it's possible. It's also against the rules.

Actually there did use to be a rule against excessive crowd noise that was voted in by the owners in the early '80s aimed primarily at the Seahawks and their 12th man when the Kingdome was the most raucous stadium in the league.  They tried it out in the preseason and every time the refs threw a flag for excessive crowd noise the crowd got louder.  Pete Rozelle realized it was ridiculous to try to tell 68,000 fans to shut up so overruled the owners but did allow opposing QBs to step away from the line of scrimmage and stop the play clock until the crowd quieted down. Of course that also had the same effect of stirring up the crowd to yell even louder.   Eventually they quit enforcing any noise regulations even though the rule was technically on the books until 2007.  Telling paying customers they have to shut up is ridiculous and unenforcable.

Regarding the Seahawks Century Link field...yes it has been designed to maximize crowd noise for an outdoor stadium.  But it's still an open air stadium and the field isn't even entirely enclosed by stands because of gaps in the north end of the stadium in the Hawks' Nest area designed to allow fans to see the Seattle skyline.  There's no reason why any dome stadium shouldn't be louder than Seattle's outdoor stadium. 

I hate to break up the "they cheated, no THEY cheated" party....but Seattle is a unique situation. Yes the stadium is part of the noise factor. The idea for it came from Washington University's Husky Stadium, which is sort of similar in design (less sophisticated but same idea), having the overhangs reflect sound back onto the field. But as above posters mentioned, the fans were loud in the old KingDome too. The have prided themselves on the whole 12th Man thing and really get into the games. The stadium just helps. But it isn't the entire reason it's so loud there. Arrowhead briefly held the sound record earlier this season and its about 540 years old and open air. But loud, passionate fans in KC. Seattle is a unique city, quirky. They have 50-60% higher attendance for their MLS soccer team than the any other team. They should have never lost the Sonics and still have a lot of pride in that teams history there. Non sports, you have Microsoft, Starbucks, the music scene....just my two cents