Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Belichick Decision to Defer Punt in OT

amfootball

It was also odd to see BB smile at the post game press conference last night. He looked giddy like a small boy that just got the best Christmas present ever. It make me chuckle even though that game probably took 5 years off my life. I need to learn sign language so I can keep my voice & not wake up my neighbors or get arrested for disorderly conduct & noise pollution. 

Are there swear words & gestures in Braille? I should look into that.  :lol:  :funny: That's how I deal with grief. SW1 jokes around to relieve stress. I've always been that way. Although, last night in the 2nd half, you didn't wanna be anywhere near me. I was miffed to say the least. 

I'm cooling off now thankfully. The Forum really helps. I can't afford professional therapy. LOL! 

That was flat out gutsy. Against Manning- who can score TDs in a heartbeat. Then you never give Brady the chance with the ball.

It doesn't work and Bill gets crucified so....

I get the logic and think its smart- the only downside to me is you are giving Manning the first chance to win the game.

Not really gutsy if you ask me. I think given the new rules, and the wind it was worth taking a shot. Had it not been for a bonehead play on a punt it might have come back to bite him in the rear end though. They usually defer in regulation... so why not in overtime when a big play can win the game.

Not really gutsy if you ask me. I think given the new rules, and the wind it was worth taking a shot. Had it not been for a bonehead play on a punt it might have come back to bite him in the rear end though. They usually defer in regulation... so why not in overtime when a big play can win the game.

yeah I heard some percentage stats that even without wind you have a 30% chance vs 20% to win if you defer.

Team A scores a FG- (or has to start from the 20 yard line mostly and score a TD to win)

Team B now has 4 downs to get a FG to tie or TD to win.

Still, for me- I'm too used to PM driving down the field and scoring a TD :)

yeah I heard some percentage stats that even without wind you have a 30% chance vs 20% to win if you defer.

Team A scores a FG- (or has to start from the 20 yard line mostly and score a TD to win)

Team B now has 4 downs to get a FG to tie or TD to win.

Still, for me- I'm too used to PM driving down the field and scoring a TD :)

Yeah, might be one of the gutsy calls of all time given PM was the opposing QB. They were asking on the radio on Monday if BB makes that same decision if Aaron Rodgers is the QB and the consensus was no way! :)  

BTW, stat of the day. Heading into the third quarter the Pats had a 2 percent chance of winning that game being down 24-0. That is amazing. Never thought I would ever see that against a Manning led team.

Yeah, might be one of the gutsy calls of all time given PM was the opposing QB. They were asking on the radio on Monday if BB makes that same decision if Aaron Rodgers is the QB and the consensus was no way! :)  

BTW, stat of the day. Heading into the third quarter the Pats had a 2 percent chance of winning that game being down 24-0. That is amazing. Never thought I would ever see that against a Manning led team.

yeah but you listen to WEEI

I listen to the more informative 98.5

Zo and Gresh ;)

He pretty much bet that the Broncos weren't going to score a TD on his defense on the first position given how the game was going and that they had held the Broncos to seven points in the second half and with the wind being so important during that game I think it was a calculated risk that clearly worked out and was par for the course with BB.

I still can't get over Bill's decision to defer in OT. I was screaming at my TV. This was the reversal of the 4th and 2 game where Bill was scared of Peyton. In this game, he wanted Peyton to have the ball because he did not believe Peyton could get the ball into the end zone or even into FG range. An unbelievably gutsy call.

I don't believe that has ever happened in NFL history where a coach has deferred in OT.

What do other folks think? Did you like the call? Did you think it would work? Be honest.

BB does what he thinks is in the best interest of his team, PERIOD . . . he does not care about the opponent, the media, the fans, the "book", the potential backlash and so on . . . he works strictly by the percentages . . . and does not care what is behind it . . . he has done this kind of stuff before  . . . we saw it in Denver with the safety, the 4th and 2 game in Indy, again against the saints this year and now this . . . all of these the percentages were in our favor and really have little to do with the who was on the other side of the ball . . . contrary to what some like to say . . . when the percentages are in your favor, the odds are you will win more in the long run . . . btw, there is a reason why the houses in Vegas have the percentages in their favor . . .

BB plays chess and many media people and fans play checkers and can only see one or two moves in front of them and/or are too afraid from doing something that has a higher percentage but is unconventional . . . it is times like these why I am glad that BB is our coach . . . I will take him as our coach everyday and twice on Sunday . . .

I heard that stat too amfootball & 2% or not there is no way the Broncos should have lost that game. 24 to nothing at halftime & Brady & company pull victory from the jaws of defeat. I am dumbfounded by that. How in the world can Peyton put that behind him? I can't. I realize that Peyton is incredibly driven & competitive, but how do you erase such a crippling emotional loss from your memory banks given what happened against the Ravens last season? I could prepare hard & practice well, but that loss would haunt me. How do you recover from a loss that should have been a slam dunk victory? Why couldn't the Broncos cross the finish line when failing to maintain a lead like that indicates that your football house is not in order?  It wouldn't bother me so much if Peyton didn't have a long history going against the Patriots & just being eliminated in the post season. 

I'm just tired of coming up short & having nothing to show for a great regular season record I guess. I have no answers just expressing my disappointment I guess...I realize Peyton works tremendously hard, but established QBs, elite QBs, are supposed to show their fans why they are considered among the best field generals in football...Thanks for letting SW1 vent & blow off some pent up steam...

BB does what he thinks is in the best interest of his team, PERIOD . . . he does not care about the opponent, the media, the fans, the "book", the potential backlash and so on . . . he works strictly by the percentages . . . and does not care what is behind it . . . he has done this kind of stuff before  . . . we saw it in Denver with the safety, the 4th and 2 game in Indy, again against the saints this year and now this . . . all of these the percentages were in our favor and really have little to do with the who was on the other side of the ball . . . contrary to what some like to say . . . when the percentages are in your favor, the odds are you will win more in the long run . . . btw, there is a reason why the houses in Vegas have the percentages in their favor . . .

BB plays chess and many media people and fans play checkers and can only see one or two moves in front of them and/or are too afraid from doing something that has a higher percentage but is unconventional . . . it is times like these why I am glad that BB is our coach . . . I will take him as our coach everyday and twice on Sunday . . .

BB is 1 hades of a good coach & I admire that when the 4 & 2 in INDY didn't work the grey hoodie never apologized for what he did in the press conference & would probably do the same thing again if the opportunity presented itself deja vu style. SW1 admires people if do their own thing & despite the outcome they never 2nd guess themselves. 

Plus, I used to really dislike his short 1 word or cliche answers to the media. Now, I look forward to them. Why? Because he never gives the enemy any ammunition, let alone any idea what hailstorm strategy/gameplan he has in store for them. It's cunning, devious, & clever like a sniper in the jungle no one sees coming & he picks his adversaries off 1 by 1 with silent precision. 

Espionage authors appeal to me. I am not a violent or depraved person. I just appreciate brilliant elusiveness & flawless execution on the field with no fear or trepidation whatsoever. 

I heard that stat too amfootball & 2% or not there is no way the Broncos should have lost that game. 24 to nothing at halftime & Brady & company pull victory from the jaws of defeat. I am dumbfounded by that. How in the world can Peyton put that behind him? I can't. I realize that Peyton is incredibly driven & competitive, but how do you erase such a crippling emotional loss from your memory banks given what happened against the Ravens last season? I could prepare hard & practice well, but that loss would haunt me. How do you recover from a loss that should have been a slam dunk victory? Why couldn't the Broncos cross the finish line when failing to maintain a lead like that indicates that your football house is not in order?  It wouldn't bother me so much if Peyton didn't have a long history going against the Patriots & just being eliminated in the post season. 

I'm just tired of coming up short & having nothing to show for a great regular season record I guess. I have no answers just expressing my disappointment I guess...I realize Peyton works tremendously hard, but established QBs, elite QBs, are supposed to show their fans why they are considered among the best field generals in football...Thanks for letting SW1 vent & blow off some pent up steam...

I am with you on this SW1. It was the most improbable victory in Pats history. I think what makes it stand out besides the 24-0 comeback is that Manning had the better team. Someone had posted an article earlier in the week that said if you look at the h-to-h btw Manning and Brady over the years generally the QB with the better team has won. I did not entirely agree with the article but for sure Manning had the better team on Sunday night and the 24 point lead and lost. As you say, I think the psychological effect of that game will linger this season and into the post-season for the Broncos and could help propel the Pats who are young team that is showing its mental toughness. Most forget that the Pats were coming off the short week and a gut wrenching loss in Carolina. I really don't know how they were able to put that game behind them and have the second half they did vs the Broncos in those conditions. It really was something to watch and still four days the emotions are still lingering.  

Let me ask you do you think BB makes that same call if Aaron Rodgers is the opposing QB?

I listen to them too but boy is Gresh a blow hard. He is hard to take sometimes and Zo's man crush on Brady puts my own to shame. :)

Well Zo was a QB. Actually I've grown to like Felger.

I like Wiggins too. The hero of the snow bowl. 1 or 2 catches all season and then 11 catches in the snow bowl :)

I am with you on this SW1. It was the most improbable victory in Pats history. I think what makes it stand out besides the 24-0 comeback is that Manning had the better team. Someone had posted an article earlier in the week that said if you look at the h-to-h btw Manning and Brady over the years generally the QB with the better team has won. I did not entirely agree with the article but for sure Manning had the better team on Sunday night and the 24 point lead and lost. As you say, I think the psychological effect of that game will linger this season and into the post-season for the Broncos and could help propel the Pats who are young team that is showing its mental toughness. Most forget that the Pats were coming off the short week and a gut wrenching loss in Carolina. I really don't know how they were able to put that game behind them and have the second half they did vs the Broncos in those conditions. It really was something to watch and still four days the emotions are still lingering.  

Thanks amfootball. I respect you & your consistently competitive NE Patriots. SW1 always gives credit where credit is due. When a team I root for gets schooled & taken out to the woodshed, I admit it. No point in denying the obvious. Have a nice turkey day my friend!  :thmup:

I like Wiggins too. The hero of the snow bowl. 1 or 2 catches all season and then 11 catches in the snow bowl :)

Wait.

You LIKE Felger?

The biggest tool in Boston media?

The one who insults Boston fans left and right , despite his own ignorance ? He's a *.

Michael Holley is the best radio personality, followed by Zo. I primarily lists to 98.5, but Felger and Mazz know nothing about football.

I like Wiggins too. The hero of the snow bowl. 1 or 2 catches all season and then 11 catches in the snow bowl  :)

Felger!? Really? Can't stand him as he knows zilch about football. And Mazz's voice is so grating that I can't listen to him more than five minutes without getting a headache. How a guy with that shrill, nasal voice can be on the radio is beyond me. I do like Wiggie though.