Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hopefully we learn a lesson.

Legend of Luck

Quick thoughts on the game.

-Loss of Freeman killed our D. They didnt play particularly well when he was in, but he is clearly the heartbeat of our D.

-Howell's played great all year, but his inexperience finally caught up with him tonight. His poor decision on that pass to Allen allowed for the touchdown.

-I am completely dumbfounded by our run defense tonight. I have no answer for why it was so poor.

-Greg Toler had good plays, but man did he get beat almost all night.

-Offensive line held up for the most part.

-Obviously the drops were the dagger tonight. Couldnt give ourselves a chance.

Here's my biggest issue with tonights game.

I UNDERSTAND why we want to run the ball. I REALLY REALLY DO. And I BELIEVE in it. BUT WE ARE DOING IT WRONG. 

We have one of the most talented qb's in the last 20 years, and instead of using HIM to open up the running game, we try to run WAY to much and in the wrong situations. 

Who has the best offense in the league? Possibly the best offense in NFL history? -- Answer: THE DENVER BRONCOS

So, what do the do right?

1. Uptempo offense.

2. Great mixture of short, intermediate, and deep passes.

3. A strong running game.....THAT IS SET UP BY THE PASS.

When you have Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, and (even though he hasnt produced) a deep threat in DHB, use a strong passing offense to open up a strong running game.

This is the formula to a strong offense, and we have ALL THE PIECES NEED TO RUN IT.

Im hopeful that pep and chuck learn their lesson after tonight, and hopefully Luck speaks up and lets the team know that he is unhappy (if in fact he is like some have mentioned.)

-Loss of Freeman killed our D. They didnt play particularly well when he was in, but he is clearly the heartbeat of our D.

-Howell's played great all year, but his inexperience finally caught up with him tonight. His poor decision on that pass to Allen allowed for the touchdown.

-I am completely dumbfounded by our run defense tonight. I have no answer for why it was so poor.

I UNDERSTAND why we want to run the ball. I REALLY REALLY DO. And I BELIEVE in it. BUT WE ARE DOING IT WRONG. 

We have one of the most talented qb's in the last 20 years, and instead of using HIM to open up the running game, we try to run WAY to much and in the wrong situations. 

Who has the best offense in the league? Possibly the best offense in NFL history? -- Answer: THE DENVER BRONCOS

1. Uptempo offense.

When you have Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, and (even though he hasnt produced) a deep threat in DHB, use a strong passing offense to open up a strong running game.

This is the formula to a strong offense, and we have ALL THE PIECES NEED TO RUN IT.

Im hopeful that pep and chuck learn their lesson after tonight, and hopefully Luck speaks up and lets the team know that he is unhappy (if in fact he is like some have mentioned.)

PERFECT!!!!!! EVERYTHING U SAID IS SPOT ON. I AGREE 1000% 

The power formation and running it between the tackles over and over again is just not working. DHB needs to take a seat until he figures out how to catch the ball which I'm not sure he can do because he's been doing it his entire career in oakland. 

Richardson is so talented and you can see it in flashes but every time he's in the game the D is stacking the line because they know he's coming right up the gut and when Brown is in they back off and running lanes are wide open because they are thinking pass all the way. They need to figure this out or Manning will drop a 60 burger on us next week

We had a lot of dropped passes tonight. That Fleener dropped pass made me livid. We also had no answer for RB Danny Woodhead & Adam V. was responsible for all 9 points tonight. Gruden said it best: The Chargers ran it down our throats & crushed us by playing the same style of smash mouth football that INDY typically uses to win games. Time of possession was the deal breaker. Phillip Rivers played a great game racking up 1st downs & Luck couldn't get on the field. 

I hate getting creamed on Monday Night Football. The score felt like 35-10. It was awful & INDY got whipped on Natl. TV. It really sucked & INDY looked exhausted & unprepared. We also had a opportunity to take command of the AFC South & completely blew it. Sigh...

We had a lot of dropped passes tonight. That Fleener dropped pass made me livid. We also had no answer for RB Danny Woodhead & Adam V. was responsible for all 9 points tonight. Gruden said it best: The Chargers ran it down our throats & crushed us by playing the same style of smash mouth football that INDY typically uses to win games. Time of possession was the deal breaker. Phillip Rivers played a great game racking up 1st downs & Luck couldn't get on the field. 

I hate getting creamed on Monday Night Football. The score felt like 35-10. It was awful & INDY got whipped on Natl. TV. It really sucked & INDY looked exhausted & unprepared. We also had a opportunity to take command of the AFC South & completely blew it. Sigh...

Well, on a positive note....weve never lost 2 games in a row. We have SOMETHING going for us.

When HC Ron Rivera gets fired from the Panthers this year, bring him into INDY for a conversation as the new DC. I'm not demanding a change yet, but I remember him against the Colts in the 2006 SB & I've always admired his stomp on the QB's throat aggressive style.

I just am dumbfounded that we can beat the Niners & Seattle, 2 NFC frontrunners for the SB & the Chargers completely steamroll & dominate the Colts. Peyton Manning will pick us apart & Von Miller will be returning to the starting Denver lineup. INDY is dead in the water, bleeping, & here come Wolfe, Miller, & Phillips ready to take Luck down repeatedly. 

PERFECT!!!!!! EVERYTHING U SAID IS SPOT ON. I AGREE 1000% 

The power formation and running it between the tackles over and over again is just not working. DHB needs to take a seat until he figures out how to catch the ball which I'm not sure he can do because he's been doing it his entire career in oakland. 

Richardson is so talented and you can see it in flashes but every time he's in the game the D is stacking the line because they know he's coming right up the gut and when Brown is in they back off and running lanes are wide open because they are thinking pass all the way. They need to figure this out or Manning will drop a 60 burger on us next week

As far as TRich goes, look at how the Broncos use their running backs. They spread the receivers out, and run for 8 yards/carry off of the THREAT of a pass from an elite qb. Thats what we need to be doing.

Well, on a positive note....weve never lost 2 games in a row. We have SOMETHING going for us.

I admire your optimism Legend of Luck. I really do, but turning this team around by Sunday night is no easy task. I didn't say impossible, but it is 1 gigantic leap. Good luck INDY; You're gonna need it.

I'd be happy with a respectable loss...Something like 35-27. 

As far as TRich goes, look at how the Broncos use their running backs. They spread the receivers out, and run for 8 yards/carry off of the THREAT of a pass from an elite qb. Thats what we need to be doing.

You couldnt be more right my friend. I hope pep realizes that his power I formation just aint workin. Im all up for it when were up 21 points but lets get their first. Luck is a beast. he smart enough for the no huddle. Use it. 

You couldnt be more right my friend. I hope pep realizes that his power I formation just aint workin. Im all up for it when were up 21 points but lets get their first. Luck is a beast. he smart enough for the no huddle. Use it. 

Pep Hamilton isn't the problem. Our DC Greg Manusky couldn't stop Phillip Rivers tonight or Matthews or Woodhead...That's the whole problem in a nutshell right there. 

As far as the run defense I think it simply was a case of the Chargers O line beating us off the ball and being more physical. That's it. They manhandled our D line all night. On offense, I think they need to bump up the tempo. Let Luck take over, please!

We never really stopped the pass the whole game. 

Our defense is a decent defensive coordinator away from what it should be

I wanna see what Greg Manusky does against the Bengals, Cardinals, & Chiefs 1st before we send Greg Manusky out of INDY.

If he flounders or the D can't generate pressure or turnovers, cut him loose for good. SW1 is with you axillarymac05, but I am willing to give Greg the remainder of the season to redeem himself. But, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that Ron Rivera or Lovie Smith could do a much better job as DC right now. 

Well yeah that was obvious but I was providing my insight as to why we couldn't stop the run either. OP was "completely dumbfounded" and had "no answer" as to why they were so bad.

I honestly believe that most of our problems against the pass came from poor matchups. Our linebackers were too big and slow to cover a guy like Danny Woodhead. Toler had decent coverage on Allen all night, Allen just made great plays.

I don't know what the issue w the run d was. Just poor play I guess.

1. Uptempo offense.

I've been trying to articulate this same message, but maybe they will understand how you put it better...Agree on all points, we can be a very very good running team if we change the way we implement it and play to our strengths...I guarantee you the 1st game we do this if we ever wake up and try Richardson has a big time game...

I honestly believe that most of our problems against the pass came from poor matchups. Our linebackers were too big and slow to cover a guy like Danny Woodhead. Toler had decent coverage on Allen all night, Allen just made great plays.

We rarely blitzed and when we did Woohead had to stay in to block as was no longer a receiving threat and they somehow failed to realize this too...We are way to vanilla on D but they still only gave up 19 pts and were on the field all game cause of 3 and outs...They were'nt great, but were still good enough to win..This loss and the Dolphins loss both go on Hamilton!

Pep Hamilton isn't the problem. Our DC Greg Manusky couldn't stop Phillip Rivers tonight or Matthews or Woodhead...That's the whole problem in a nutshell right there.

You really can't put that on Manusky. That's a false statement if you do. The defense sucked as a whole period.

2 prime examples: The Keenan Allen TD. How does Howell end where the LB's are when he's a safety?

Example #2: Robert Mathis came clean on Matthews and whiffs the tackle because he's looking dead at Phillip Rivers instead of reading the play. So instead of a 3rd and long it was 3rd and short or a first down can't remember.

I'm just going to give the Chargers O line a ton of credit. Far too often they blew our D line back 3 yards immediately. That helped the run game. As far as the passing game, Dunlap shut Mathis down. I can't remember a time when Mathis looked so helpless. What killed them all night was the quick, underneath stuff. Rivers didn't have to stand in the pocket too long because he almost always had Woodhead slipping out or Allen coming across underneath our backers. When we blitzed, they had someone ready underneath. It was a great gameplan on their part and we never adjusted. Of course having Freeman out was a huge loss. I'm convinced he would've been able to make plays in the second half even though he struggled at times before getting injured.

What really baffles me is for as bad as the D seemed to play, they only gave up 1 TD. But the penalties on 3rd down and overall inability to get off the field just made it so SD didn't need TDs to win. Getting 3 points but burning off a solid 7 minutes is almost as good as scoring a TD. Their offense was their best defense IMO. They kept our offense on the sideline so they didn't have time to get into a groove. Kudos to Rivers and the coaching staff for sticking to a slow, methodical gameplan and not trying to get into a shootout.