Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN: Positions the NFL is phasing out

SkyBane

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9739045/nfl-endangered-species-fullbacks-pocket-qbs-hard-hitting-safeties-kick-returners

Article describing the trend in the NFL away from traditional offenses towards young guns and quick passing. Talks about the potential future of the NFL where the following roles are phased out of the game by current strategies employed by coaches making not viable.

The roles they list as being phased out are:

The Apprentice QB- A young/rookie QB who sits behind a veteran for a few years and is groomed in to a starter

The Workhorse RB- The RB who gets the majority of carries and helps emphasize the run

The hard hitting safety- The safety that comes out of the secondary on blitzes or on receivers across the middle to blow them up

The Pure Pocket Passer- The QB who has 0 mobility and just hands it off or throws downfield every play

The Fullback

The pure blocking TE- the TE that isn't just an oversized wideout, and is actually there exclusively to block.

The Kickoff returner

The kickoff returner bit is a bit out of place with the rest of the article, as its in reference to the fact the NFL is still debating whether to eliminate kickoffs from the game or not. The article also only argues for keeping the pocket passer, every other argument they can come up with for keeping these positions is only as a marginal role at best. If it's to be believed, the fullback and running back may be a thing of the past eventually.

This mindset is likely part of the reason the Colts trading for T-Rich gets so much flak. Running backs aren't perceived to be worth first round picks anymore. The league has gotten so pass happy, that people can have serious discussions about whether or not run specific positions should even still exist. The Indy offense actually bucks the trend that the majority of NFL teams are following.

Anyways, I just thought this might intrigue people here. What do you guys and gals think about the marginalization of these positions in modern football?

Apprentice QB - This is a tricky one.  Given the success rookie QBs have had recently, one could make the case. I think it's just a thing that happens rather than a team actively looking for one.  For example, the Pats took Mallett.  Maybe he learns from Brady and ends up being the starter.  Maybe he doesn't.  A lot of factors go into it.  A weak QB class, like this past year's, could result in guys being taken late, sitting and learning from vets, and possibly getting an opportunity to start.  I don't think it's phased out, but it's not as overt as it was before.  Maybe Barkley learns from Vick/Foles, gets accustomed to the speed of the game and an NFL playbook, then he is either starter of the Eagles or traded to another team to be the starter.  On the other hand, it's possible Barkley ends up being no more than a backup.

Workhorse RB - I hate how it's being phased out because of the fantasy football implications.  But yes, it is.  RBs take a lot of hits and their careers aren't as long as other positions.  You can draft a couple of late round RBs and be fine.  Furthermore, teams are doing more backs by committee so their RBs last longer and they have guys for a change of pace.  That way, the defense can't get used to defending one RB; they must change how they defend with a different RB in there.  I think the RB as a whole is becoming less important.  You can have a late round guy like Vick Ballard come in and do a serviceable job for you.  It's nice to have a guy like Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, etc., but you will be fine without one.

Hard hitting safety - I don't think the case here is that it's being phased out.  I think teams are just looking for more.  So instead of a guy just being a hard hitter, they want him to also be able to cover, blitz if needed, etc.  So it's not that the hard hitting safety is gone, teams just want a guy who can do more than just hit hard.  Same thing goes for the FB, blocking TE, and kick/punt returner.  Why use a roster spot on a guy who can just block when you can get a guy who can block and catch passes too?

Pure pocket passer - I don't think it's being phased out.  Look at how much success Peyton is having.  Same with Brees and Brady.  The pocket passer is something I don't think will ever be phased out of the game.  Guys who scramble a lot like Vick and RG3 get hurt a lot.  The pocket passer may not be as athletic, but if he can study hard, put good work in the film room, etc., he will be successful.  The NFL is a pass-first league.  If all a pocket passer does pass, then there will always be a spot for him if he can do his job well.  There are 32 teams in the league who would love to have a guy as good as Peyton/Brady/Brees on their team.  Even guys who scramble lots are trying to stay in the pocket more.  I believe there were stories during the offseason of Vick working on staying in the pocket and making plays, and I think the same thing was going on with RG3.  Jim Harbaugh has also made Kaep scramble far less this year than last year.

Excellent idea for a topic though.  I'm curious to see what kind of ideas others have in regards to this.  Thanks for posting the article!

Interesting article Skybane. I will concede that rookie QBs sitting behind aging veterans is virtually done. I liken it to driver's ed. You never learn anything meaningful from the backseat. Slide into the driver's seat, turn the ignition, & hit the gas. You learn best by doing. In addition, I also concede that RBs are a 3-4 headed monster by committee & the lone primary back is DOA now. You just need a scat back, a thumper, a nice change of pace guy, & an exceptional pass blocker who excels at blitz pickup. 

Full backs & TEs who can block will never die. You need both positions in bad weather games where it's too dangerous to throw the ball almost every down even if it's screens or a dink & dunk offense primarily. I love mud & blood, low scoring, grind it out games. I live for it actually.  

How are you gonna eliminate kick returners? Are they nuts? Broncos got 14 points off it last season vs the Ravens in the Playoffs. Plus, if the league wants to kill lone RBs, where is the artistry of HOF backs like Barry Sanders going to come from? It's not easy to bob, weave, change direction, stutter step, let blocks develop, & follow the cavalry LIVE into the endzone without fumbling the ball. 

How are you gonna eliminate kick returners? Are they nuts? Broncos got 14 points off it last season vs the Ravens in the Playoffs. Plus, if the league wants to kill lone RBs, where is the artistry of HOF backs like Barry Sanders going to come from? It's not easy to bob, weave, change direction, stutter step, let blocks develop, & follow the cavalry LIVE into the endzone without fumbling the ball. 

The strategy isnt killing kick returners, the League officials may be. Theres rules debates going on in the commissioners office about eliminating the kickoff from play, and just treating every change of possession like a touchback and start the offense at the 20.

As for RB's, its a sad truth of the modern game. In a world where all eyes are on monitoring injury, especially concussions, and all of the money is coming from high profile QB play, RB's just don't matter as much anymore, and nobody feels like paying a premium for a position that has the shortest lifespan. Unless its a total game changer like Peterson, the RB is essentially done as a high profile position, and as more emphasis is put on passing, the Fullback looks more and more like its done as a position period. 

Apprentice QB - This is a tricky one.  Given the success rookie QBs have had recently, one could make the case. I think it's just a thing that happens rather than a team actively looking for one.  For example, the Pats took Mallett.  Maybe he learns from Brady and ends up being the starter.  Maybe he doesn't.  A lot of factors go into it.  A weak QB class, like this past year's, could result in guys being taken late, sitting and learning from vets, and possibly getting an opportunity to start.  I don't think it's phased out, but it's not as overt as it was before.  Maybe Barkley learns from Vick/Foles, gets accustomed to the speed of the game and an NFL playbook, then he is either starter of the Eagles or traded to another team to be the starter.  On the other hand, it's possible Barkley ends up being no more than a backup.

Workhorse RB - I hate how it's being phased out because of the fantasy football implications.  But yes, it is.  RBs take a lot of hits and their careers aren't as long as other positions.  You can draft a couple of late round RBs and be fine.  Furthermore, teams are doing more backs by committee so their RBs last longer and they have guys for a change of pace.  That way, the defense can't get used to defending one RB; they must change how they defend with a different RB in there.  I think the RB as a whole is becoming less important.  You can have a late round guy like Vick Ballard come in and do a serviceable job for you.  It's nice to have a guy like Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, etc., but you will be fine without one.

Hard hitting safety - I don't think the case here is that it's being phased out.  I think teams are just looking for more.  So instead of a guy just being a hard hitter, they want him to also be able to cover, blitz if needed, etc.  So it's not that the hard hitting safety is gone, teams just want a guy who can do more than just hit hard.  Same thing goes for the FB, blocking TE, and kick/punt returner.  Why use a roster spot on a guy who can just block when you can get a guy who can block and catch passes too?

Pure pocket passer - I don't think it's being phased out.  Look at how much success Peyton is having.  Same with Brees and Brady.  The pocket passer is something I don't think will ever be phased out of the game.  Guys who scramble a lot like Vick and RG3 get hurt a lot.  The pocket passer may not be as athletic, but if he can study hard, put good work in the film room, etc., he will be successful.  The NFL is a pass-first league.  If all a pocket passer does pass, then there will always be a spot for him if he can do his job well.  There are 32 teams in the league who would love to have a guy as good as Peyton/Brady/Brees on their team.  Even guys who scramble lots are trying to stay in the pocket more.  I believe there were stories during the offseason of Vick working on staying in the pocket and making plays, and I think the same thing was going on with RG3.  Jim Harbaugh has also made Kaep scramble far less this year than last year.

Excellent idea for a topic though.  I'm curious to see what kind of ideas others have in regards to this.  Thanks for posting the article!

Nicely written response 21isSuperman! Bravo!

I forgot to add my thoughts on a pocket passer vs a scrambler. Yup, you hit the nail on the head. The issue with scrambler is getting hurt too easily. Plus, a scramble 1st QB doesn't always go through their reads or progressions properly relying to much on their legs vs their mind & their eyes to manipulate safeties in the secondary. Also, it's been my experience that scramblers are not always willing to just the ball out of bounds & live to fight another down. You don't need to run most of the time just shuffle your feet, slide up in the pocket, release the ball, always have a 5 second stop watch going off inside your head.  Running is like a rip cord on a parachute. Pull it too early & your dead. Translation: Running is a last resort not a security blanket. 

You make a great point about rookie RBs some QBs need that elder statesman to show them the ropes & give them the tools, resolve, & confidence to claw & dig their team out of a deep hole & maintain composure. And what happens if an owner spends millions on an athletically gifted QB with a fragile psyche? Owners want an insurance policy...Someone who can win games when the wheels fall off. 

The strategy isnt killing kick returners, the League officials may be. Theres rules debates going on in the commissioners office about eliminating the kickoff from play, and just treating every change of possession like a touchback and start the offense at the 20.

As for RB's, its a sad truth of the modern game. In a world where all eyes are on monitoring injury, especially concussions, and all of the money is coming from high profile QB play, RB's just don't matter as much anymore, and nobody feels like paying a premium for a position that has the shortest lifespan. Unless its a total game changer like Peterson, the RB is essentially done as a high profile position, and as more emphasis is put on passing, the Fullback looks more and more like its done as a position period. 

I don't like automatic touchbacks at all. Where is the thrill in that? Devon Hester 2006 SB vs INDY...It blew my theory that nothing exciting ever happens in the 1st QTR of a SB right out of the water.  haha

Full backs may indeed be on life support, but they are like a bodyguard in a dark alley, if you want some muscle & a crease of daylight for your RB to score a TD...You are glad they are there. JMO. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

If they do get rid of kickoffs, watch Ray Lewis and Suggs say its a conspiracy because the NFL hates the Ravens, and they have one of the best kick returners in the NFL.

I'm surprised this article didn't talk about the league eliminating FG kicks. Most of them are chip shots anyway. Yes, they are a vital part of the game & sometimes a long kick for a Wildcard Berth is cool to watch. I just hate timeouts being used to ice the kicker.

In addition to that, why do NFL GMs not recruit kickers from the Soccer ranks in both America & Europe. I want somebody overseas with some serious power & accuracy in that leg. 

My apologies to BHC & Soccer fans out there. I will admit that I am not well versed in the intimate details of European Futbol. I want someone from Ireland who can handle excessive wind & sheets of hard rain AKA Tough to the core. Free pints of Guinness all season too! Just Kidding!  :thmup:

I'm surprised this article didn't talk about the league eliminating FG kicks. Most of them are chip shots anyway. Yes, they are a vital part of the game & sometimes a long kick for a Wildcard Berth is cool to watch. I just hate timeouts being used to ice the kicker.

In addition to that, why do NFL GMs not recruit kickers from Soccer in both America & Europe. I want somebody overseas with some serious power & accuracy in that leg. 

I didn't know there was an active discussion about taking out field goals. They contribute too much to scoring and injury risk is minimal, so I see no reason why they would do it.

As per European soccer players? Why would you want to be a silly american football player who gets no respect in the sport when you could be a stud in the largest sport in Europe. Still, if the NFL actually does get its way and puts a team in London, you can expect them to push that foot in the door to expand further in to Europe, and likely see more European talent enter the league as a result.

Actually, you could make the argument that the fullbacks are making a comeback.  The power running offense and/or read option offense uses it extensively - Seattle, San Fran, Colts, etc - not to mention goal line carries.  I mean, is it used as much as it used to?  Of course not.  But it's certainly not phasing out at this point. 

As for the traditional pocket passing QB - it'll never be phased out as long as there is organized football being played.  All things equal, yeah you want a QB who is more mobile than a slower one.  It's just another element of attack the QB can utilize.  But for QBs who are mobile but lack an element of pocket passing (whether its awareness, reads, accuracy, etc.), the so called "running QBs", I'm not convinced they'll ever develop an offense that features the elements of their running game more than their passing game and it being successful.  Last year was close with the read option, but it's been figured out as we all thought it would.  It's successful enoguh to be in the playbook, but not the cornerstone.  Not to mention the fact that there are just not enough QBs that are good enough to replace an injured running QB.

The hard hitting safety and the pocket passer are not being phased out.  I think a lot of teams like hard hitting safeties.

I think you might see less pocket passers now then you used to, but it's not being phased out.  Also lets not forget that perhaps part of the reason you see less is because less polished pocket passers are available from the college ranks?  A lot of college offenses out there emphasize mobility of the QB and pocket passers don't make it very far in those systems.  So a lot of the more athletic guys are learning to play QB.

Also the term pocket passer is hard to define.  

Also maybe it's just a change in the coaching of quarterbacks.  You could take the same guy put him in college football and then the NFL in the 90's and then put him in college football and the NFL now and perhaps he plays different because his coaches are telling him to do different things.  

The Blocking TE and fullback are becoming less important because of the importance of the passing game increasing.  But lets not also forget something.  Blocking TE's are being quite often rotated in as full backs.  So I think what we are really seeing is a merging of the roles of a blocking TE and the fullback.