Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's not as bad as it looks

MFT5

Offense:

I know news just broke of Dwayne Allen's Season Ending Injury but I just watched our whole game against the Dolphins and I saw what could be the best offense in the league. Yes we have some kinks to work out. Yes we have injuries that limit our depth but as far as that goes our offense is multiple and continuously giving defenses a variety of looks that feature everyone on the field.

In my estimate I attest our only limitation to our success is our coaches willingness or lack thereof, aggressiveness on both offense and defense.

There were glimpses where we would dominate on the offensive side of the ball via the run and pass. My only problem being with Andrew Luck not highlighting his ability to run for minimum 4-7 yard gains. This ability alone would open up our offense and if not at least keep defenses from teeing off on our turnstile offensive line.

WHEN NOTHING IS THERE ANDREW MUST MAKE DEFENSES PAY WITH 4-7 YARD RUNS

... They keep drive on schedule and act as seemingly harmless cuts to the defense in the long run.

Overall the offense will be ok as Coby Fleener continues his maturation as a player. Just as Dwayne benefitted from Coby's absence last year Fleener should blossom as well.

Defense:

Point blank period I am by no means a defensive guru but I don't believe we are putting our defense in the best position to make plays.

We are not creative in disguising our blitzes and once again our coaching staff shows off the most gelatinous spines of any I can see in the NFL.

You would think with our head coach being a defensive minded guy and one that specializes in the defensive backfield, that he would show confidence in our corners specifically brought in for his scheme to be highlighted. All I see is bend but don't break 2.0 and from a talent stand point it's inexcusable.

- Greg Toler playing 7-10 yards of Wallace is ridiculous on first and 10.

- Vontae Davis only lines up on the right side ??? What is that about. He's our best corner right ??? Why not stick him on the best and let him prove himself to the league.

Overall on defense we are just there. We play the game as if our defense and offense are one entity, one body that depends on the other to ultimately shape the landscape of the game. Not that there's anything wrong with that but our style's on offense and defense are the main cog in inducing these types of nail bitting games.

This team confuses me but I can see the progress the team has made in terms of efficiency and consistency

... So to describe our play so far we'll be in every game this year but pending some coaching dynamics, that stomping of the throat trait isn't there yet.

"This is year 2: Still in the Building, Building the Monster"

It is not as bad as it looks. Colts still have playmakers. It has been tough getting people all the touches they need. Now some playmakers can get more touches to make up for the loss of Allen. People are sleep on Stanley Havili. Bradshaw could use  20-25 touches a game. Ty is ready for a breakout year. Where Allen will be missed most is his blocking and we have no idea what Jack Doyle can do. If we can't get the blocking out of the TEs then we can continue to use the extra OL as a TE.

It is not as bad as it looks. Colts still have playmakers. It has been tough getting people all the touches they need. Now some playmakers can get more touches to make up for the loss of Allen. People are sleep on Stanley Havili. Bradshaw could use  20-25 touches a game. Ty is ready for a breakout year. Where Allen will be missed most is his blocking and we have no idea what Jack Doyle can do. If we can't get the blocking out of the TEs then we can continue to use the extra OL as a TE.

Next year when we get Allen back, also get Donald and Vic back, we will be better suited to make a run

Agreed. We have too much talent to mail it in. If we readjust the offense to use our playmakers like Hilton, Havili, and Bradshaw we can still score 30 points per game.

we just don't have enough talent left on the roster (the way they are being used).  unless grigson does something very quickly, it's doubtful we win 7 games.

If we can't get the blocking out of the TEs then we can continue to use the extra OL as a TE.

That is absolutely the last thing we should do, unless we are within 5 yards of the end zone. Pep needs to run a cleaner, more cohesive offense with more no huddle and three wide sets mixed in. This will open up the run, play action, and pass aspects of the offense. Bringing in an extra o-lineman only allows the defense to play run first and have one less receiving option to defend.

Things are fine. Injuries happen. This new CBA has exacerbated that AND limited the normal preseason preparations that we expect. In turn affecting performance.

Well said Brian! The new CBA does limit the number of practices in pads & walk throughs to me are a completely pointless exercise. HC Tom Coughlin even complained about this...A lack of tackling, a lack of contact, & a lack of ability to knock off rust & hang on to the football during crucial game drives. Naturally, with less contact, injuries tend to proliferate. Nothing profound here perse I just agree with you 100%

Offense:

I know news just broke of Dwayne Allen's Season Ending Injury but I just watched our whole game against the Dolphins and I saw what could be the best offense in the league. Yes we have some kinks to work out. Yes we have injuries that limit our depth but as far as that goes our offense is multiple and continuously giving defenses a variety of looks that feature everyone on the field.

In my estimate I attest our only limitation to our success is our coaches willingness or lack thereof, aggressiveness on both offense and defense.

There were glimpses where we would dominate on the offensive side of the ball via the run and pass. My only problem being with Andrew Luck not highlighting his ability to run for minimum 4-7 yard gains. This ability alone would open up our offense and if not at least keep defenses from teeing off on our turnstile offensive line.

WHEN NOTHING IS THERE ANDREW MUST MAKE DEFENSES PAY WITH 4-7 YARD RUNS

... They keep drive on schedule and act as seemingly harmless cuts to the defense in the long run.

Overall the offense will be ok as Coby Fleener continues his maturation as a player. Just as Dwayne benefitted from Coby's absence last year Fleener should blossom as well.

Defense:

Point blank period I am by no means a defensive guru but I don't believe we are putting our defense in the best position to make plays.

We are not creative in disguising our blitzes and once again our coaching staff shows off the most gelatinous spines of any I can see in the NFL.

You would think with our head coach being a defensive minded guy and one that specializes in the defensive backfield, that he would show confidence in our corners specifically brought in for his scheme to be highlighted. All I see is bend but don't break 2.0 and from a talent stand point it's inexcusable.

- Greg Toler playing 7-10 yards of Wallace is ridiculous on first and 10.

- Vontae Davis only lines up on the right side ??? What is that about. He's our best corner right ??? Why not stick him on the best and let him prove himself to the league.

Overall on defense we are just there. We play the game as if our defense and offense are one entity, one body that depends on the other to ultimately shape the landscape of the game. Not that there's anything wrong with that but our style's on offense and defense are the main cog in inducing these types of nail bitting games.

This team confuses me but I can see the progress the team has made in terms of efficiency and consistency

... So to describe our play so far we'll be in every game this year but pending some coaching dynamics, that stomping of the throat trait isn't there yet.

"This is year 2: Still in the Building, Building the Monster"

I agree with the Davis mention, why not throw him all over the field like the Jets did with Darrelle Revis..

That is absolutely the last thing we should do, unless we are within 5 yards of the end zone. Pep needs to run a cleaner, more cohesive offense with more no huddle and three wide sets mixed in. This will open up the run, play action, and pass aspects of the offense. Bringing in an extra o-lineman only allows the defense to play run first and have one less receiving option to defend.

I was not talking about doing it any more than the few times a game we currently do for short yardage. To run it all the time takes a playmaker out of the offense but in short yardage it is needed.

we just don't have enough talent left on the roster (the way they are being used).  unless grigson does something very quickly, it's doubtful we win 7 games.

We threw to Fleener maybe 5 times with one TD called back. Fleener and Luck were not on the same page on 2 passes. Brawshaw touched the ball about 18 times between passes and runs-he could probably handle an additional 10 touches. Havili caught the ball twice and he is an excellent receiver who could use a few more touches. Allen was an important cog and could have had an excellent year but we have enough people with talent around Luck to compensate for him.

Wholeheartedly agree with your defensive assessment.  Watching Davis always on the right side and Toler always with a 7 to 10 yard cushion is driving me nuts.  I've been harsh of Toler's play on here but it may be more scheme than his play.  I thought we had seen the last of the conservative defensive calls with the new regime but that hasn't been the case this year.